User avatar
airkas1
Head Screener
Posts: 7706
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2003 7:01 am

Re: Airliners.net Site Upgrade Announcement & Discussion

Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:52 pm

We are. This is an ongoing process and all images wll definitely be retrofitted with the copyright bar. I'll inquire regarding the status of that and will report back when I have an answer.

Edit: Regarding the copyright bar I just found this developer quote in the list:
This is an item that can and will be retroactively applied to the images - it had been previously decided that this functionality was not required as the watermark was better security. The community reaction has shown that we need to reimplement this feature - it will take some time to produce the code to make this happen - once the code is in place images will have it automatically applied (again - this will be retroactive for newly uploaded images).

It appears to me that there was an oversight/misunderstanding between crew/developers. However, as you can read it will be fixed.
 
User avatar
kulverstukas
Posts: 1101
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:58 am

Re: Airliners.net Site Upgrade Announcement & Discussion

Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:03 pm

airkas1 wrote:
We are. This is an ongoing process and all images wll definitely be retrofitted with the copyright bar.
This is an item that can and will be retroactively applied to the images - it had been previously decided that this functionality was not required.

It appears to me that there was an oversight/misunderstanding between crew/developers.


Can I read this as proof that neither major points of proposed site changes was neither discussed with nor any beta version was showed and tested by volunteers crew?
 
sulman
Posts: 1963
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2004 5:09 am

Re: Airliners.net Site Upgrade Announcement & Discussion

Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:12 pm

I'll reserve comment on the general direction of the design, until I've had a couple of weeks using it. However, there are two thing that jump out at me right away:

  • The photos need a title bar, either above or below; at present the layout is totally fragmented with the image, then a space, then a ginormous advertisment, then a dump of the DB data fields at the bottom; it is aesthetically terrible and looks lazy; it should be much tidier and integrated with the image. It is all disconnected and the use of default field names looks like a lack of thought or planning to me.
  • Click-through stream needs to be contextual; if I click on a photo in any category, I am in the photographer's stream; I should be in the category stream to allow easy browsing.

James
It takes a big man to admit they are wrong, and I am not a big man.
 
User avatar
airkas1
Head Screener
Posts: 7706
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2003 7:01 am

Re: Airliners.net Site Upgrade Announcement & Discussion

Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:13 pm

kulverstukas wrote:
Can I read this as proof that neither major points of proposed site changes was neither discussed with nor any beta version was showed and tested by volunteers crew?

If you're asking if we ever tested a beta version; yes we did.
But there is some context to it, which you all don't know. So don't plainly assume "oh, there was no beta testing" or "oh, X fucked up".
 
Alex22
Posts: 79
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2005 2:56 am

Re: Airliners.net Site Upgrade Announcement & Discussion

Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:17 pm

would be great if someone could reply to my post - here it is again

Please get rid of the video adds - I haven't been complaining for now as I don't feel like kicking a dying dog but this is just too much
Demand Media has NO excuse about it - it's distracting as hell, annoying sound - No other aviation site has them, what did the people at Demand Media been thinking ???? Oh yeah, just another hint of what really matters for them...

Volunteer crew, I feel really bad for you guys :-(

Alex
 
User avatar
airkas1
Head Screener
Posts: 7706
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2003 7:01 am

Re: Airliners.net Site Upgrade Announcement & Discussion

Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:20 pm

Alex22 wrote:
Please get rid of the video adds - I haven't been complaining for now as I don't feel like kicking a dying dog but this is just too much Demand Media has NO excuse about it - it's distracting as hell, annoying sound - No other aviation site has them, what did the people at Demand Media been thinking ???? Oh yeah, just another hint of what really matters for them...


Try an adblocker plugin for your browser. It will do the trick.
As for content, as far as I know, we have little influence over what is shown. Only afterwards we seem to be able to make a certain ad go away. But support probably knows the workings of this better than I do. So if I'm correct, then your last sentence is a wrongful assumption.
 
kkdkazaa
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed May 13, 2009 3:35 am

Re: Airliners.net Site Upgrade Announcement & Discussion

Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:42 pm

Don't know if this was asked before and answered, but one feature I really miss from old site is that thumbnail photos now don't have any basic information on them (plane type etc). You have to click on a photo to get any information. Can you please add some basic information on each photo?
I used to come to this site multiple times a day but not anymore :cry: !
Understand change is difficult and but never thought old site needed a change :o
 
len90
Posts: 1134
Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2006 1:03 pm

Re: Airliners.net Site Upgrade Announcement & Discussion

Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:58 pm

Any update on the issue with the same three photographers being the featured photographer at the bottom of the page. It seems like that has not changed at all since this new site began.
Len90
 
User avatar
speedbored
Posts: 2207
Joined: Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:14 am

Re: Airliners.net Site Upgrade Announcement & Discussion

Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:28 pm

Alex22 wrote:
Please get rid of the video adds - I haven't been complaining for now as I don't feel like kicking a dying dog but this is just too much

Try this: https://www.airliners.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=18962499
 
ikramerica
Posts: 14874
Joined: Mon May 23, 2005 9:33 am

Re: Airliners.net Site Upgrade Announcement & Discussion

Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:42 pm

I've given it two weeks. I think I'm done. Forums are ruined.

So much white space. So much scrolling. So little contrast. So difficult to follow.

My eyes hurt after trying to use site. My finger gets tired.

Can't collapse long winded posts. Can't find where you stopped reading last time. Hard to tell who posted. Can't go to next page without scrolling down to bottom (seriously?!). Page view vs list view means you end up ignoring previous posts.

It's just nothing like it was. So one would hope it's better. But it's not. It's change for the sake of change. And change for the worse.

Can't handle it at this point. My eyes, fingers and brain are too old.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.
 
User avatar
speedbored
Posts: 2207
Joined: Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:14 am

Re: Airliners.net Site Upgrade Announcement & Discussion

Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:45 pm

ikramerica wrote:
So much white space. So much scrolling. So little contrast. So difficult to follow.

Try this: https://www.airliners.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=18962499
 
na
Posts: 9687
Joined: Sun Dec 12, 1999 3:52 am

Re: Airliners.net Site Upgrade Announcement & Discussion

Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:59 pm

Aesthetics/Design issues aside, a few things I find annoying when using the forums:
1. Each time I close the browser, I am thrown out no matter how often I click the "remember me"-button.
2. If I log in I am always relegated to the homepage and not the thread I wanted to post an answer.
3. On my iPhone I have to scroll through pages of posts on popular threads before I get down to the most recent post.
4. Individual posts use to much space, that was much better in the old layout.
5. Syllabication of thread titles is random, often wrong and makes it hard to read.

6.Site operators have announced to address the many complains, yet after two weeks (not days!) I fail to see a single detail that has been changed to the better!
 
User avatar
airkas1
Head Screener
Posts: 7706
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2003 7:01 am

Re: Airliners.net Site Upgrade Announcement & Discussion

Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:46 pm

kkdkazaa wrote:
Don't know if this was asked before and answered, but one feature I really miss from old site is that thumbnail photos now don't have any basic information on them (plane type etc).

Will get fixed.

len90 wrote:
Any update on the issue with the same three photographers being the featured photographer at the bottom of the page. It seems like that has not changed at all since this new site began.

No update, still on the list. Relatively low priority as there are more pressing issues.

na wrote:
Aesthetics/Design issues aside, a few things I find annoying when using the forums:
1. Each time I close the browser, I am thrown out no matter how often I click the "remember me"-button.
2. If I log in I am always relegated to the homepage and not the thread I wanted to post an answer.
3. On my iPhone I have to scroll through pages of posts on popular threads before I get down to the most recent post.
4. Individual posts use to much space, that was much better in the old layout.
5. Syllabication of thread titles is random, often wrong and makes it hard to read.
6.Site operators have announced to address the many complains, yet after two weeks (not days!) I fail to see a single detail that has been changed to the better!


1) Is a high priority item on the list.
2) Is on the list together with the above.
3) Click the asterix in front of the topic title or click the "first unread post" button in a thread.
4) The forum will get a new theme, which will make better use of space.
5) -
6) Many issues are on the list, but other than reporting, the crew can't do much more (other than pressing certain issues). The developers are working hard to improve the site. I don't know what else to tell you.
 
User avatar
N202PA
Posts: 1287
Joined: Tue Jun 06, 2000 9:44 pm

Re: Airliners.net Site Upgrade Announcement & Discussion

Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:18 pm

The fact that someone in a position of control at DM thinks that this design can be fixed when people are PLAINLY TELLING THEM that they are leaving the site and not coming back because of the design is proof of how little the problem is understood. You can't tweak a garbage heap until it smells like roses.
 
User avatar
JohnKrist
Head Support
Posts: 1909
Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2005 11:54 pm

Re: Airliners.net Site Upgrade Announcement & Discussion

Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:36 pm

N202PA wrote:
You can't tweak a garbage heap until it smells like roses.


You can, over time. Prime example is Lucky Goldstar that made crappy low quality electronics and now is one of the main electronics companies in the world, LG.
5D Mark III, 7D, 17-40 F4 L, 70-200 F2.8 L IS II, Canon 50mm 1.4, Sigma 50mm 1.4 ART, Sigma 105mm 1.4 ART, EF 1.4x II, EF 2x III, SPEEDLITE 600EX-RT
 
andz
Posts: 7634
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2004 7:49 pm

Re: Airliners.net Site Upgrade Announcement & Discussion

Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:48 pm

I HATE this new abomination. What a load of crap. There was nothing wrong with the old site, have you never heard of "if it ain't broke don't fix it"? Just terrible. Thank God we aren't paying anymore because I won't pay for this.
After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...
 
User avatar
mariner
Posts: 19473
Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2001 7:29 am

Re: Airliners.net Site Upgrade Announcement & Discussion

Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:47 pm

Alex22 wrote:
Please get rid of the video adds - I haven't been complaining for now as I don't feel like kicking a dying dog but this is just too much
Demand Media has NO excuse about it - it's distracting as hell, annoying sound - No other aviation site has them, what did the people at Demand Media been thinking ???? Oh yeah, just another hint of what really matters for them...


You could get an ab blocker - Ad Block Plus works great for me, it's free, installs in a trice and I don't see any ads.

Demand Media is a commercial organisation, so If you have a problem with ads, why not be pro-active about solving it?

mariner
aeternum nauta
 
User avatar
ssteve
Posts: 1352
Joined: Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:32 am

Re: Airliners.net Site Upgrade Announcement & Discussion

Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:33 am

Right, as much as the rest of the change in the forum sucks, I went from no ads to no ads. because of adblock. If DM is turning this site into a clickbait content farm, you're going to have to live with the ads, or get an ad blocker.
 
flymia
Posts: 7105
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2001 6:33 am

Re: Airliners.net Site Upgrade Announcement & Discussion

Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:55 am

ikramerica wrote:
I've given it two weeks. I think I'm done. Forums are ruined.

So much white space. So much scrolling. So little contrast. So difficult to follow.

My eyes hurt after trying to use site. My finger gets tired.

Can't collapse long winded posts. Can't find where you stopped reading last time. Hard to tell who posted. Can't go to next page without scrolling down to bottom (seriously?!). Page view vs list view means you end up ignoring previous posts.

It's just nothing like it was. So one would hope it's better. But it's not. It's change for the sake of change. And change for the worse.

Can't handle it at this point. My eyes, fingers and brain are too old.


There was a major aviation incident in one of the worlds largest airports and the thread has 101 replies and none in the last hour. After almost half a day. I am sure DM is aware of the down traffic and activity. However, I am afraid they just don't care. They are in it for adds adds and more adds. Maybe a last ditch effort to get money out of their multi million dollar investment. Forum content is down and of much lower quality the past week or so.

It's a shame.

Will be interesting to see this new theme change. Really hope it's a major revamp, or this place is done.
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)
 
User avatar
IslandRob
Posts: 621
Joined: Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:04 am

Re: Airliners.net Site Upgrade Announcement & Discussion

Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:47 am

EC135C wrote:
I have changed my home page to another aviation forum. The "new" Airliners.net format does not work for me.

I've been trying to find an alternative website. I'll PM you. Thanks -ir
If you wrote me off, I'd understand it
'Cause I've been on some other planet
So come pick me up, I've landed
 
User avatar
77west
Posts: 939
Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2009 11:52 am

Re: Airliners.net Site Upgrade Announcement & Discussion

Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:35 am

Horrendous. I hardly look at a.net anymore. Its really a shame what they have done to this site. Used to be so easy to use and see what was going on. Now just looks like some bland forum that anyone could create with some off the shelf software and accepting all the defaults on installation...
77West - AW109S - BE90 - JS31 - B1900 - Q300 - ATR72 - DC9-30 - MD80 - B733 - A320 - B738 - A300-B4 - B773 - B77W
 
angad84
Posts: 2013
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:04 pm

Re: Airliners.net Site Upgrade Announcement & Discussion

Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:00 pm

airkas1 wrote:
kulverstukas wrote:
Can I read this as proof that neither major points of proposed site changes was neither discussed with nor any beta version was showed and tested by volunteers crew?

If you're asking if we ever tested a beta version; yes we did.
But there is some context to it, which you all don't know. So don't plainly assume "oh, there was no beta testing" or "oh, X fucked up".


What else are we to assume? No one's asking for the nuke codes, this is an aviation enthusiasts' community, not the Pentagon. I honestly can't see what the need for all the secrecy around "context" is. Maybe if you tell people what went wrong they might get off your backs.

At this point, to anyone with even a lick of experience in running a forum/site, this transition is indeed a fuck up. The site's identity is trashed, as multiple marketing/branding guys have noted, the usability is trashed, as many UX/UI guys have noted, and the technical folks have pointed out hundreds of fuck ups in mere days. One of them, with no backend access, has literally done a better job of redesigning the site than the owners — in a week!

Oh, and traffic is obviously down, going by photo views and frequency of new forum posts.

Kas, I appreciate the work you're doing on the front lines for this transition, and I certainly understand that this must be one hell of a trying time, but please credit us with some degree of intelligence.
 
User avatar
airkas1
Head Screener
Posts: 7706
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2003 7:01 am

Re: Airliners.net Site Upgrade Announcement & Discussion

Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:13 pm

angad84 wrote:
Maybe if you tell people what went wrong they might get off your backs.

The simple answer? The new site got launched too soon.


P.S. I didn't mean to insult anoyone's intelligence, so apologies if it comes across like that.
 
User avatar
TK787
Posts: 4132
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2006 3:43 am

Re: Airliners.net Site Upgrade Announcement & Discussion

Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:35 pm

Hello there, so since the new rollout, yesterday was the first day that I spent more than few minutes on the site due to the terrorist attack at IST. It is not easy on the eyes, it is not as intimate during a tragedy. It is hard to quote and answer someone. It is hard to reply to a comment, since there are no reply numbers. I can't easily see where people are from, no flags next to their usernames, so I fail to see some people might be writing from Turkey. And the worse, in the past there would be dozens of followers joining from Turkey to give us first hand experiences from the field. Not this time, it is a shame. I hope a.net can recover from this upgrade, so I get my internet family back which it took us 10+ years to build.
 
flymia
Posts: 7105
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2001 6:33 am

Re: Airliners.net Site Upgrade Announcement & Discussion

Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:55 pm

TK787 wrote:
Hello there, so since the new rollout, yesterday was the first day that I spent more than few minutes on the site due to the terrorist attack at IST. It is not easy on the eyes, it is not as intimate during a tragedy. It is hard to quote and answer someone. It is hard to reply to a comment, since there are no reply numbers. I can't easily see where people are from, no flags next to their usernames, so I fail to see some people might be writing from Turkey. And the worse, in the past there would be dozens of followers joining from Turkey to give us first hand experiences from the field. Not this time, it is a shame. I hope a.net can recover from this upgrade, so I get my internet family back which it took us 10+ years to build.


This guys! This! This is the major flaw this website now has and if DM does not understand that, then I guess they are ready to just see the site fall off the map.

This site is mostly a site for professional and amateurs with an insane amount of knowledge and experience in the industry. An industry that is 24 hours a day 365 days a year, Aviation does not stop, and neither does the news in aviation.

The current bland, any other site in the world forum format just does not do it for us. We can't keep up with news, we cant easily read replies and updates, its just not user or reader friendly for the type of reading this site is about.

One of the largest and most important aviation hubs in the world was attacked yesterday. Almost a day has passed by, and there are 109 replies. There were 101 replies to that thread at around 12am EST last night, now 10 hours later, when the sun has risen in Turkey and Europe there are 109 replies.

I am sorry, but this clearly shows the massive drop in traffic this site has taken due to the new format. I wanted to try to follow along the events here, just as even news organizations have. I am sure others wanted to place their input and updates, but the forum does not allow ease of use for this. Its a disaster DM, an utter disaster.

I have seen many say "we are not going back to the old site," then are you going back to a similar format? If not, is the site ready to start the process of losing users and photographers at a fast rate?

DM has to know the mistake they made, they need to realize that this was a special place for thousands of us who would visit this site multiple times a day. Most of us now visit in a few weeks what we used to visit in a day or two.

Its just pretty frustrating to here from some about how things are being fixed, things will get better, its and upgrade etc.. But the main purpose of the forum, and it seems like the photo viewing engine does not need to be fixed, it needs to be completely revamped.
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)
 
User avatar
N202PA
Posts: 1287
Joined: Tue Jun 06, 2000 9:44 pm

Re: Airliners.net Site Upgrade Announcement & Discussion

Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:03 pm

JohnKrist wrote:
N202PA wrote:
You can't tweak a garbage heap until it smells like roses.


You can, over time. Prime example is Lucky Goldstar that made crappy low quality electronics and now is one of the main electronics companies in the world, LG.


Planning on taking 10+ years to "tweak" A.net? Good luck when your active userbase is continuing to dwindle with every passing moment...
 
User avatar
JohnKrist
Head Support
Posts: 1909
Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2005 11:54 pm

Re: Airliners.net Site Upgrade Announcement & Discussion

Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:08 pm

N202PA wrote:
JohnKrist wrote:
N202PA wrote:
You can't tweak a garbage heap until it smells like roses.


You can, over time. Prime example is Lucky Goldstar that made crappy low quality electronics and now is one of the main electronics companies in the world, LG.


Planning on taking 10+ years to "tweak" A.net? Good luck when your active userbase is continuing to dwindle with every passing moment...

The question was whether it was possible or not, and no it won't take ten years to fix Anet :)
5D Mark III, 7D, 17-40 F4 L, 70-200 F2.8 L IS II, Canon 50mm 1.4, Sigma 50mm 1.4 ART, Sigma 105mm 1.4 ART, EF 1.4x II, EF 2x III, SPEEDLITE 600EX-RT
 
MalevA346
Posts: 31
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:30 pm

Re: Airliners.net Site Upgrade Announcement & Discussion

Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:10 pm

You'll guys surely loose my daily 1 hour reading on your forums and 5-10 minutes checking pictures.
This new sit(e) will change my will life after 15 years, probably I'll learn new language or I I don't know.
What is sure, You won't be making me a scrolling teenager, who does not even remember what was 3 minutes ago.
Why old site was to see and read, new one is to shock and amuse.
 
User avatar
N202PA
Posts: 1287
Joined: Tue Jun 06, 2000 9:44 pm

Re: Airliners.net Site Upgrade Announcement & Discussion

Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:39 pm

JohnKrist wrote:
The question was whether it was possible or not, and no it won't take ten years to fix Anet :)


Pardon my skepticism given the glacial pace at getting ANYTHING done around here, including basic tasks like changing the font color/size and line height.
 
Alex22
Posts: 79
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2005 2:56 am

Re: Airliners.net Site Upgrade Announcement & Discussion

Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:24 pm

ssteve wrote:
Right, as much as the rest of the change in the forum sucks, I went from no ads to no ads. because of adblock. If DM is turning this site into a clickbait content farm, you're going to have to live with the ads, or get an ad blocker.


I find it extremely surprising that everybody (crew included) says I should use an Ad- Blocker instead of admitting there's a real problems with the adds...

And yeah I have the choice to live with it, get an ad blocker - Or also to just stop visiting that "clickbait content farm"
Just like many other people I think I'll just spend my time on aviation websites that really care about its contributors... And yeah, from what you hear more and more, there seem to be way better opportunities out there...
 
Rdh3e
Posts: 3518
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:09 pm

Re: Airliners.net Site Upgrade Announcement & Discussion

Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:33 pm

Just to throw in my $0.02, I've definitely noticed myself replying to people less as the new system not remembering you, plus the god-awful quote system is too much of a PITA to deal with. As a very regular contributor to CivAv I'm sorry to say if this place isn't fixed by next Tuesday (after 4th of July) I'm shopping for alternatives. This new site sucks.
 
User avatar
mariner
Posts: 19473
Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2001 7:29 am

Re: Airliners.net Site Upgrade Announcement & Discussion

Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:48 pm

Alex22 wrote:
I find it extremely surprising that everybody (crew included) says I should use an Ad- Blocker instead of admitting there's a real problems with the adds....


What's the problem with the ads?

Very little of value comes for free and websites have to make money somehow. I use ad blocker for some of the most prestigious sites in the world.

mariner
aeternum nauta
 
Alex22
Posts: 79
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2005 2:56 am

Re: Airliners.net Site Upgrade Announcement & Discussion

Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:02 pm

mariner wrote:
Alex22 wrote:
I find it extremely surprising that everybody (crew included) says I should use an Ad- Blocker instead of admitting there's a real problems with the adds....


What's the problem with the ads?

Very little of value comes for free and websites have to make money somehow. I use ad blocker for some of the most prestigious sites in the world.

mariner


The problem ?? No other free aviation website has nearly as many adds than Anet, no other aviation website that I know has disturbing video adds - I doubt Demand Media realise how much damage they are doing to what used to be a pretty good place to visit... So many people are leaving and I sincerely doubt they are coming back... But yeah, don't look at the real issues, just get an Add Blocker.... :?
 
User avatar
DocLightning
Posts: 21481
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2005 8:51 am

Re: Airliners.net Site Upgrade Announcement & Discussion

Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:33 pm

Still getting kicked out several times per day. Lost a big post to the kick-out today.

Are others going to a different discussion board? If so, can someone PM me which one it is?

I've been on A.net since 1999 (under a different username that I've since forgotten) and on this username since 2005. I think it's time to call it quits.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan
 
User avatar
mariner
Posts: 19473
Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2001 7:29 am

Re: Airliners.net Site Upgrade Announcement & Discussion

Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:49 pm

Alex22 wrote:
The problem ?? No other free aviation website has nearly as many adds than Anet, no other aviation website that I know has disturbing video adds


I've never found another aviation website/message board that I enjoy as much as a.net, and ads have been here a long time. Since they're so easy to get rid of I don't understand the fuss.

Once I learned the computer language of this new version of a.net, which took three or four days, I'm enjoying it. I'll be pleased when they change the font to something bigger or darker, but otherwise, for me, it's business as usual.

mariner
aeternum nauta
 
User avatar
coronado
Posts: 1274
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 1999 9:42 am

Re: Airliners.net Site Upgrade Announcement & Discussion

Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:49 am

Mariner, I do admire your positive attitude, and I keep signing on to the new a.net 2 or 3 times a day hoping to find the quick to navigate, multiple topic forum, that I got accustomed to since 1999, which I can quickly peruse and actually get good headlines with quick links to breaking news affecting civil aviation. I have never been on this site for the pictures, and while I enjoy looking at them now and then, and have great respect for the quality work by the contributing photographers, it is way down on the list of my interest in a.net. The Civil Aviation and to a secondary extent the Tech Ops Forums are why I paid a first class membership for most of the past 16 years. I am still working so I can only take a few minutes a day to peruse the site, and now find with the new format I have no interest in posting or asking questions and am now realizing that I am going 3 or 4 days without even opening the site and am not missing it. That is a terrible realization.
The Original Coronado: First CV jet flights RG CV 990 July 1965; DL CV 880 July 1965; Spantax CV990 Feb 1973
 
User avatar
mariner
Posts: 19473
Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2001 7:29 am

Re: Airliners.net Site Upgrade Announcement & Discussion

Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:49 am

coronado wrote:
Mariner, I do admire your positive attitude, and I keep signing on to the new a.net 2 or 3 times a day hoping to find the quick to navigate, multiple topic forum, that I got accustomed to since 1999, which I can quickly peruse and actually get good headlines with quick links to breaking news affecting civil aviation. I have never been on this site for the pictures, and while I enjoy looking at them now and then, and have great respect for the quality work by the contributing photographers, it is way down on the list of my interest in a.net. The Civil Aviation and to a secondary extent the Tech Ops Forums are why I paid a first class membership for most of the past 16 years. I am still working so I can only take a few minutes a day to peruse the site, and now find with the new format I have no interest in posting or asking questions and am now realizing that I am going 3 or 4 days without even opening the site and am not missing it. That is a terrible realization.


Sorry, but I can't help you.

When the site first appeared I was gob-smacked by the extent of the changes, and then frustrated and even, once or twice, either angry or depressed. I was particularly infuriated by the us of the "Death Skull" avatar - whoever thought that was a good idea especially when it appeared so soon after the Orlando massacre?

So I set about changing the avatar, which required a little advice from a moderator, and found it a slightly frustrating experience (the image I wanted to use was either too big or too small), but I got there and realized that this new site was going to take some work by me - computer illiterate me. So I set about about learning how it works. There was one major issue (which was covered in this thread) of how to post photos, and - again - eventually I got there, with a lot of help from other members and moderators and with no small sense of triumph on my part - LOL.

Once I had done that, I began to understand the mechanics of the site, and now it seems - to me - to be simple and easy to use. All the many things that people complain they can't do I seem to be able to do with ease (quoting from a post in a reply, for example, double quoting if I want) - finding unread posts in a thread, finding the last unread post in a thread. The little bell tells me if there are new posts in a thread, but I can also see it by the presence of * (or lack of it) beside the thread title.

I don't know what more I could wish for, other than the look of it, and since I never liked the blue background that isn't issue for me, other than the font. I do agree that some things seem to be taking a long time to fix, but if the blue background is high on the list for the developers, I'm glad it's taking a long time.

I accept that the photographers may have other issues that don't concern me, but I'm 75 years old, I don't own a mobile because I can't figure how to use one - or can't be bothered - and yet I can navigate this site. I learned how to do it because I like the content and I am astonished by the constant complaints of those much younger than I.

But some of those complaints are giving me the sh*ts. It's fine in this Site Related forum, but we get threads in Civil Aviation moaning about this awful new site, and it simply isn't awful for me. As I said, I'm enjoying the site and I feel just a tad smug that I can when so many seem to be just throwing up their hands in horror - and determined to share their horror with us. The fuss about ads is astonishing to me, because there is such a simple solution, readily available.

Get on with it, I say, either learn how to use the site or leave.

mariner
Last edited by mariner on Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
aeternum nauta
 
avnut43
Posts: 27
Joined: Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:40 am

Re: Airliners.net Site Upgrade Announcement & Discussion

Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:05 am

I found Airliners.net sometime around 2005, and finally became a member in 2012. I do not post often, but frequently check a couple of the forums daily, that is until the redesign. No more do I look forward to seeing what the latest discussion is. I just do not care to visit the site anymore. The new forum appearance is a HUGE thumbs down. It is for many of the reasons previously mentioned.

* There is a lot of white space.

* The post numbers are missing. How are you supposed to know where you left off reading or reference back to a specific post?

* The county flag is missing next to the username. Myself personally, I liked to see where a member is from, not some weird avatar image instead. Our love of aviation is shared across the world, now that is gone.

* Also missing from the username is how long they have been a member and how many posts.

* The headers are big and take more height than posts.

* Everything went from being able to see it on one page to having to click to the next one (How many pages would the ones related MH370 been had they been paginated?)

* The "star" option is missing next to topics that you follow or have posted in.
 
ktupxflyer
Posts: 17
Joined: Fri May 27, 2011 2:48 am

Re: Airliners.net Site Upgrade Announcement & Discussion

Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:09 am

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it." Every freaking site DM buys goes down like this. Just give us the old A.net back.
 
N243NW
Posts: 1599
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2003 4:29 am

Re: Airliners.net Site Upgrade Announcement & Discussion

Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:11 am

Not sure if this has been mentioned anywhere, but can we go back to having only Civil Aviation forum threads listed on the homepage "Right now in the forums" list? Or, at least posts from all forums EXCEPT Non-Aviation.

I don't think that it's great P.R. to have off-topic threads such as "Shaving The Lady Parts Is Wrong" so prominently displayed on the homepage.
B-52s don't take off. They scare the ground away.
 
User avatar
PanAm_DC10
Community Manager
Posts: 4001
Joined: Wed Aug 23, 2000 7:37 am

Re: Airliners.net Site Upgrade Announcement & Discussion

Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:48 am

N243NW wrote:
Not sure if this has been mentioned anywhere, but can we go back to having only Civil Aviation forum threads listed on the homepage "Right now in the forums" list? Or, at least posts from all forums EXCEPT Non-Aviation.

I don't think that it's great P.R. to have off-topic threads such as "Shaving The Lady Parts Is Wrong" so prominently displayed on the homepage.


Hi there

Yes we will return to having only topics from the civil aviation forum appearing on the homepage.

Regards

Paul
Ask the impossible to achieve the best possible
 
blrsea
Posts: 1909
Joined: Fri May 20, 2005 2:22 am

Re: Airliners.net Site Upgrade Announcement & Discussion

Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:49 am

airkas1 wrote:

blrsea wrote:
I am seeing that even I login with "remember me" checked, it signs me out in less than a day. Is that normal? Many other phpBB boards have limits of weeks or months.

This is a know issue and on the fix-list.


Actually, its logging me out in few hours, 3-4 hours max. Thats surprising. Today, I had logged in around 7am IST, and by 10:00AM IST, I had to sign in again! Something not right
 
Viscount724
Posts: 19316
Joined: Thu Oct 12, 2006 7:32 pm

Re: Airliners.net Site Upgrade Announcement & Discussion

Thu Jun 30, 2016 5:15 am

DocLightning wrote:
Still getting kicked out several times per day. Lost a big post to the kick-out today.

Are others going to a different discussion board? If so, can someone PM me which one it is?

I've been on A.net since 1999 (under a different username that I've since forgotten) and on this username since 2005. I think it's time to call it quits.


I had the "kick-out" problem a few times 3 days ago but it's been OK since.

As Mariner said, I've been trying to be positive and have adapted to most of the changes although I hope they can improve the readability as I find it very hard on the eyes. Black text and a more readable font would be a big help.

Some of the things I miss with the new site:
1. No country flags, and age and other profile info for members no longer visible.
2. Can no longer mouse-over airport codes to decode unfamiliar codes.
3. Can no longer include small thumbnail A.net photos in forum replies.
4. Too much blank space on all pages that requires much more scrolling.
5. Forum replies not numbered within each thread. It was much easier to be able to refer to "Reply 6" or "Reply 25" and quickly find it than with "Reply 18959833".
7. All the articles on dozens of aircraft types that were quite interesting and included a lot of data have disappeared. Or if it's still there I haven't found it yet.

I've found a few things are improvements but not many.
1. Can now include links to URL's starting with "https" without having to delete the "s" in order for them to be clickable.
2. Editing replies now seems easier, and you can now delete your own replies that you couldn't do before.
3. The new site seems somewhat faster than before, but all the extra scrolling etc. due to all the blank space offsets that.
4. Seems to be less advertising. I especially like not having all the "sponsored links" photos etc. that used to clutter up the bottom of every forum page. And, while I don't use an ad blocker, I've found that by zooming my laptop screen to 120% or 133% (using Firefox) to make the text somewhat more readable, it eliminates the gaps along the left and right sides so you no longer see those ads. The only ad I see now is the single banner ad at the top of the page.
 
User avatar
HGL
Posts: 330
Joined: Sat May 28, 2016 3:25 am

Re: Airliners.net Site Upgrade Announcement & Discussion

Thu Jun 30, 2016 6:08 am

@ Viscount724
7. All the articles on dozens of aircraft types that were quite interesting and included a lot of data have disappeared. Or if it's still there I haven't found it yet.

As much as you hate scrolling, for this one you do need to. ;)

Right down the bottom of the page is a footer navigation bar that includes "Aircraft Data".
Qui omnes despicit, omnibus displicit.
 
User avatar
JohnKrist
Head Support
Posts: 1909
Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2005 11:54 pm

Re: Airliners.net Site Upgrade Announcement & Discussion

Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:01 am

Viscount724 wrote:
1. No country flags, and age and other profile info for members no longer visible.
2. Can no longer mouse-over airport codes to decode unfamiliar codes.
3. Can no longer include small thumbnail A.net photos in forum replies.
4. Too much blank space on all pages that requires much more scrolling.
5. Forum replies not numbered within each thread. It was much easier to be able to refer to "Reply 6" or "Reply 25" and quickly find it than with "Reply 18959833".
7. All the articles on dozens of aircraft types that were quite interesting and included a lot of data have disappeared. Or if it's still there I haven't found it yet.


1. There are two profile pages, one for the forum, and one airliners.net profile that contains data like on the old site. Unfortunately it's not that easy to find, you have to look up a photo and click the photographers user name. But if you enter the forum username in the link you will get data from any member.
Example: https://www.airliners.net/user/johnkrist/profile or yours https://www.airliners.net/user/Viscount724/profile

2-7 I hope all of those will come back if possible
5D Mark III, 7D, 17-40 F4 L, 70-200 F2.8 L IS II, Canon 50mm 1.4, Sigma 50mm 1.4 ART, Sigma 105mm 1.4 ART, EF 1.4x II, EF 2x III, SPEEDLITE 600EX-RT
 
User avatar
DeltaMD90
Posts: 8497
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:25 pm

Re: Airliners.net Site Upgrade Announcement & Discussion

Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:22 am

Sorry if this was posted in the other 26 pages, not going to read every reply.

The "Right Now in the Forums" section on the homepage shows non-av threads and I've noticed an influx of posts whining about how X or Y has nothing to do with aviation... but it's in the non-av forum. Maybe take out the non-av topics from the "Right Now in the Forums" section? Guess I can't blame some random person from coming on airliners.net and seeing threads about women's pubes on the front page and being confused

And please for the love of god hurry up and roll out a background change, even a quick interim one. I'm using the script which makes the site usable but most people aren't and it's killing the site.

WTF Demand Media, you're as bad as Comcast
 
User avatar
JohnKrist
Head Support
Posts: 1909
Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2005 11:54 pm

Re: Airliners.net Site Upgrade Announcement & Discussion

Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:34 am

DeltaMD90 wrote:
Sorry if this was posted in the other 26 pages, not going to read every reply.

The "Right Now in the Forums" section on the homepage shows non-av threads and I've noticed an influx of posts whining about how X or Y has nothing to do with aviation... but it's in the non-av forum. Maybe take out the non-av topics from the "Right Now in the Forums" section? Guess I can't blame some random person from coming on airliners.net and seeing threads about women's pubes on the front page and being confused

And please for the love of god hurry up and roll out a background change, even a quick interim one. I'm using the script which makes the site usable but most people aren't and it's killing the site.

WTF Demand Media, you're as bad as Comcast


The answer to your question is actually just 5 posts up :shock:
Right now in the forums will be changed to Civ av only
5D Mark III, 7D, 17-40 F4 L, 70-200 F2.8 L IS II, Canon 50mm 1.4, Sigma 50mm 1.4 ART, Sigma 105mm 1.4 ART, EF 1.4x II, EF 2x III, SPEEDLITE 600EX-RT
 
User avatar
zkokq
Posts: 518
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:44 am

Re: Airliners.net Site Upgrade Announcement & Discussion

Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:47 am

Just an FYI.

A couple of things I have come across are
- If you click "Submit Photo" before the photo has actually uploaded it will throw an error and ask you to upload the image again to which you do (data remains in the filled out form), but the image has actually been queued for screening and you can end up with the same photo queued twice.

- Two YBBN's in the airport search. The correct is the QLD one.

Thanks!
 
User avatar
airkas1
Head Screener
Posts: 7706
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2003 7:01 am

Re: Airliners.net Site Upgrade Announcement & Discussion

Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:58 am

zkokq wrote:
A couple of things I have come across are
- If you click "Submit Photo" before the photo has actually uploaded it will throw an error and ask you to upload the image again to which you do (data remains in the filled out form), but the image has actually been queued for screening and you can end up with the same photo queued twice.

- Two YBBN's in the airport search. The correct is the QLD one.

- Don't click submit photo before it's uploaded ;) (but in all seriousness, I will see what I can do about this)
- There indeed many double entries for the airport. They will be taken care of by the editors.
 
dash8
Posts: 389
Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2005 8:23 am

Re: Airliners.net Site Upgrade Announcement & Discussion

Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:47 am

What is a good alternative website?

I, along with many others cannot fathom this drastic "upgrade". Im all for keeping things modern and keeping with the times, but this new site is rubbish.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos