Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

JohnKrist
Head Support

Re: Airliners.net Site Upgrade Announcement & Discussion

Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:24 am

dash8 wrote:
What is a good alternative website.

Try http://www.theworldsworstwebsiteever.com/
5D Mark III, 7D, 17-40 F4 L, 70-200 F2.8 L IS II, Canon 50mm 1.4, Sigma 50mm 1.4 ART, Sigma 105mm 1.4 ART, EF 1.4x II, EF 2x III, SPEEDLITE 600EX-RT

RAShelley

Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:11 am

Still getting used to it...there are definitely some good points, but of course, there are some things that could be improved in just about anything. The larger intro images are to be appreciated, but it takes more effort just to get to them. In the 'Photos' drop-down menu, it would seem logical to have a general 'View' selection above 'Search' for those of us that just cruising through all the fine photos. I lost my bearings for many minutes testing menu items for lack of that. Choosing the timeline I think should also be near the top on compilation pages. And personally, I miss having the captions being in easy sight of the image without having to scroll way down to search for that..I personally enjoy the photographers' comments. All in all, though, it's nice that you put such a wholehearted effort into it...thank you!

ricox

Photo statistic

Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:40 pm

Do you know how much does it takes to get back photo statistic / Queue statistic functionality?
Thank's a lot

airkas1

Re: Photo statistic

Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:55 pm

ricox wrote:
Do you know how much does it takes to get back photo statistic / Queue statistic functionality?

No idea. But even though it's handy I'm sure we can survive without for the mean time?

Moose135

Thu Jun 30, 2016 5:26 pm

ktupxflyer wrote:
"If it ain't broke, don't fix it." Every freaking site DM buys goes down like this. Just give us the old A.net back.

Except that the old site was broken, very much so. Maybe you never looked at the "Report the bugs here..." threads. Part 8 (!) the last one before the new site was introduced, had over 500 replies - that's thousands of posts in "bug" threads, and many of the reported problems either couldn't be fixed with the old software, or once fixed uncovered other, unforeseen problems.

I'm hardly a fan of the new site's format, and I think DM rolled it out before it was ready, but to say the old site wasn't broken is ignoring the reality of the situation - there were years of complaints about it as well.
KC-135 - Passing gas and taking names!

N1120A

Thu Jun 30, 2016 5:39 pm

Why hasn't the site been fixed yet?
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

comet1

Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:52 pm

I cannot see any improvement for me personnally. I only experience disadvantages. Neither on my desktop pc nor on my smartphone I can get the photos or information as quick as before the relaunch. You have to click and srcoll steadily. This drives me really a bit crazy and I stopped to go on the site regulary. This has nothing to do with "I don't want to have any changes!" But changes should contain improvements. They might be there for others, but not for me.
I understand that the relaunch was necessary for technical issues and thank all for you efforts anyways.
But I will still upload my pics here, because I still believe in the future and photo quality of Anet.

n229nw

Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:38 pm

Ongoing problems: Cannot stay signed in, on any browser. Have to re-sign in every time I come to the site/forum. Then, if I was reading a thread, can't go back to where I was before I signed in without navigating back there step by step and searching through the replies.

I miss being able to respond to more than one post in a single post, and see the entire thread.

So much harder to use now. The logic of the layout is gone.
All Glory to the Hypnotoad!

airkas1

Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:55 pm

You can actually quote multiple people, it just requires some scrolling.

When you're writing a post, and you scroll down, you see the replies by others. In the upper right corner, you see the "quote" icon. Press it, and you quote people who have posted before you, while you're writing your post.
I realize that this function on the old site was easier to use, but the option to quote multiple people in the same post is available here too.

ArmitageShanks

Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:04 pm

dash8 wrote:
What is a good alternative website?

There are lots of other options out there. Just google aviation themed forums and a lot of alternatives will pop up. Reddit has lots of aviation themed subreddits as well as flyertalk.com and pprune.org

scbriml

Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:36 pm

airkas1 wrote:
I realize that this function on the old site was easier to use, but the option to quote multiple people in the same post is available here too.

It was. Trying to reply to multiple posts in one reply is a nightmare, especially as it quotes the entire post and you have to edit if you only want one specific statement. It's even worse if you quote another post that's already quoted someone else - it gets very messy, very quickly.

Are there plans to modify the quoting capabilities?

Is there any chance of getting some estimate of when the two main issues might be resolved? Neither would seem to be technically very challenging:
- Not staying logged in
- Providing alternative colour schemes

Thanks. I'm trying to be patient, but the first is really frustrating.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

airkas1

Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:57 pm

scbriml wrote:
Are there plans to modify the quoting capabilities?

I don't know, but it's on our list:
"Also one other thing re: the "Reply with quote" button. When you use that now you have to quote the entire reply when you may only want to quote one or two lines. With the old forum system you could highlight just the text you wanted to quote. A quoting system like with the old site would be nice to have."

scbriml wrote:
Is there any chance of getting some estimate of when the two main issues might be resolved? Neither would seem to be technically very challenging:
- Not staying logged in
- Providing alternative colour schemes

I don't know, hopefully we'll get an update tomorrow before the weekend.. I fully agree it's frustrating, it is to us as well. At the moment, the latest status is still like described in the issues FAQ thread:
"Info on blue: The developers have said that the basics of the forum theme are in place, but they need to check a couple more things.
Regarding the blue for the main site in general; a blue theme will be added as secondary theme option, but won't replace the current lighter one until all issues are sorted (my interpretation; until the entire list of issues is fixed). They will be working on the blue themes for both the forum as well as the main site this upcoming week.
"

speedbored

Fri Jul 01, 2016 6:12 am

comet1 wrote:
You have to click and srcoll steadily. This drives me really a bit crazy and I stopped to go on the site regulary.

scbriml wrote:
Providing alternative colour schemes

Take a look at this thread: https://www.airliners.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1335851

ricox

Re: Photo statistic

Fri Jul 01, 2016 6:14 am

airkas1 wrote:
ricox wrote:

No idea. But even though it's handy I'm sure we can survive without for the mean time?

In this moment the 5th top 5 pic in homepage have 191 view ... are you sure to survive? ;-)
Anyway, probably yes but sometimes is hard to understand why fixes take a lot of time, I'm quite sure that A.net popularity after migration is fall down .... strange to see that only few staff members reply here, strange to don't see an officially Sorry we make an error; is for free ok but, through the years, whit so much of our photos, is become also little our site... and someone crashed it :-(

autothrust

Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:24 am

Two weekes have passed away, but almost no or incredible litte improvement has been made.

Still this site and specially the forum is broken, and barely usable.

If this situation does not improve massively in the next two weeks, i'm out of Airlines.net.

And this after being active on this site(will miss a.net meetings) for 10 years and lurking around many many years before. :x

I know the mods are doing their best they can and i thank them for their devotion and comforting the users.

My crticism is only targetet to the DM developers. :!:
Flown on: DC-9, MD-80, Fokker 100, Bae 146 Avro, Boeing 737-300, 737-400, 747-200, 747-300,747-400, 787-9, Airbus A310, A319, A320, A321, A330-200,A330-300, A340-313, A380, Bombardier CSeries 100/300, CRJ700ER/CRJ900, Embraer 190.

HGL

Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:42 am

JohnKrist wrote:
dash8 wrote:
What is a good alternative website.

Try http://www.theworldsworstwebsiteever.com/

Who said that you don't have a sense of humour? :lol:
Qui omnes despicit, omnibus displicit.

na

Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:41 am

airkas1 wrote:
na wrote:
Aesthetics/Design issues aside, a few things I find annoying when using the forums:
1. Each time I close the browser, I am thrown out no matter how often I click the "remember me"-button.
2. If I log in I am always relegated to the homepage and not the thread I wanted to post an answer.
3. On my iPhone I have to scroll through pages of posts on popular threads before I get down to the most recent post.
4. Individual posts use to much space, that was much better in the old layout.
5. Syllabication of thread titles is random, often wrong and makes it hard to read.
6.Site operators have announced to address the many complains, yet after two weeks (not days!) I fail to see a single detail that has been changed to the better!

1) Is a high priority item on the list.
2) Is on the list together with the above.
3) Click the asterix in front of the topic title or click the "first unread post" button in a thread.
4) The forum will get a new theme, which will make better use of space.
5) -
6) Many issues are on the list, but other than reporting, the crew can't do much more (other than pressing certain issues). The developers are working hard to improve the site. I don't know what else to tell you.[/color]

Answer to
3. there is no asterisk and no "first unread post" button, not on my iMac, not on my iPhone. And (contrary to my desktop computer) on my phone the only sign of how many pages a thread has is at the very bottom, so I have to scoll and scroll and scroll and...
6. if the developers are working hard for so long, by now they should at least have an idea when the main complains are being addressed to. Is it 2 days, or 2 weeks?

To add: more than ever I hope that the distinctive old forum look and layout is being reintroduced, minor changes are of course ok. I must say that I dislike the new generic look even more than 2 weeks ago. Its look is a characterless modernistic bore, sorry to be so harsh.

JohnKrist
Head Support

Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:29 am

na wrote:
Answer to
3. there is no asterisk and no "first unread post" button, not on my iMac, not on my iPhone. And (contrary to my desktop computer) on my phone the only sign of how many pages a thread has is at the very bottom, so I have to scoll and scroll and scroll and...

There is, both on my iPad and iPhone, on the subforum mainpage, like Site Related, there is an asterisk tonthe left of the topics in the list, click it and it will take you to the first unread post. If you end up on the first page you clicked the topic name and not the asterisk.

Edit: no First unread button inside the topic on iPhone, there is on iPad though
5D Mark III, 7D, 17-40 F4 L, 70-200 F2.8 L IS II, Canon 50mm 1.4, Sigma 50mm 1.4 ART, Sigma 105mm 1.4 ART, EF 1.4x II, EF 2x III, SPEEDLITE 600EX-RT

speedbored

Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:35 am

na wrote:
there is no asterisk and no "first unread post" button, not on my iMac, not on my iPhone.

Unlike on the old site, I think you need to be logged in for these to appear.

na wrote:
I have to scroll and scroll and scroll and...
To add: more than ever I hope that the distinctive old forum look and layout is being reintroduced, minor changes are of course ok. I must say that I dislike the new generic look even more than 2 weeks ago. Its look is a characterless modernistic bore, sorry to be so harsh.

Take a look at this thread: https://www.airliners.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1335851

ArmitageShanks

Fri Jul 01, 2016 1:19 pm

Why do so many posts disappear without any explanation at all?

I responded to a question and both of the posts seemed to vanish with no explanation at all. Is this some sort of bug?

FYODOR

Fri Jul 01, 2016 2:04 pm

Search engine is limited. Only photos uploaded for the last year can be found. No option 'All time' to choose.

nitepilot79

Fri Jul 01, 2016 2:07 pm

redzeppelin wrote:
burnsie28 wrote:
Forums took a HUGE downgrade, everything went from being able to see it on one page to having to click to the next one. Looks like the rest of the forums out there that are all the same.

"HUGE" may be a bit dramatic, but I agree in that my first reaction is negative. The loss of information density on each page is tragic.
I know that there were many who frequently complained about the old site. Perhaps the supporters should have been more vocal. My one and only complaint about the old forum site was the hopeless search function. Everything else about it was perfect.

I almost hate this site now. Can't tell where the last reply I read was. No "Starred topics". Feels like one has to be Sherlock Holmes to even get close to having this site being user friendly. God PLEASE do something about the forum layout. Change it back. PLEASE.

nitepilot79

Fri Jul 01, 2016 2:11 pm

"Don't know what you got..." like a MF. I'd rather have to delete the "s" from the "https.." any day. Damn.

nitepilot79

Fri Jul 01, 2016 2:35 pm

I've said this before: the front page changes; I could probably eventually learn to live with...
But the forum situation is unacceptable. It feels like I've lost something that has really mattered to me for almost a decade. For better or worse.

I wean now. Arrrrghhh.

Starfuryt

Fri Jul 01, 2016 3:24 pm

Just to repeat what many have said before. I used to come here multiple times a day every day, it's now been 2 weeks since the change and I've probably been here a grand total of 5 or 6 times.
Absolutely nothing has changed since the initial roll out, all the things that were coming "this week" 2 weeks ago still haven't been fixed.
I'm a developer (not web but still) so I understand the amount of work that goes into even perhaps minor changes but at this point the time frame is hardly acceptable. The number of people signed in seems to drop every single time that I sign in, the number of photo views for the top 5 pictures (assuming those are correct) are absolutely terrible.

From my end, this thread is the only place I've gone to on the site beyond the home page. Pretty sure that if nothing changes i'm going to go from multiple times a day here to a couple of times a month, and that really is a shame.

flymia

Fri Jul 01, 2016 3:58 pm

Starfuryt wrote:
Just to repeat what many have said before. I used to come here multiple times a day every day, it's now been 2 weeks since the change and I've probably been here a grand total of 5 or 6 times.
Absolutely nothing has changed since the initial roll out, all the things that were coming "this week" 2 weeks ago still haven't been fixed.
I'm a developer (not web but still) so I understand the amount of work that goes into even perhaps minor changes but at this point the time frame is hardly acceptable. The number of people signed in seems to drop every single time that I sign in, the number of photo views for the top 5 pictures (assuming those are correct) are absolutely terrible.

From my end, this thread is the only place I've gone to on the site beyond the home page. Pretty sure that if nothing changes i'm going to go from multiple times a day here to a couple of times a month, and that really is a shame.

The developer clearly doe not care. I know of various users who average 5-8 post a day who have not even logged on in days. Look at all the adds, adds EVERYWHERE. That is all DM cares about, its just about the business. They must know traffic is down, traffic will crash, and ultimately this site will just be about the few who visit, the random people who post now with no fee etc..

IMO they picked the cheapest options and are just going to let it be and see what money they can pull out of it. That is just the way it is. It is a shame. So many here have view this as a place to "call home" on the internet with aviation. Its over.
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

Rdh3e

Fri Jul 01, 2016 5:59 pm

nitepilot79 wrote:
I've said this before: the front page changes; I could probably eventually learn to live with...
But the forum situation is unacceptable.

There are probably many people like me. I have the CivAv forum bookmarked and I could give a $h!t if the rest of the site imploded. There were no real problems with the forum and this "upgrade" destroyed everything I liked about the site.

JohnKrist wrote:

That would've been funny if that site wasn't better than this one.

On a serious note, we used to be able to upload photos to our profile to use in a thread. Now there is a manage attachment sections, but there is no way to ever attach anything.

For example, I want to create the update to the thread I've been posting recently:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=605493

You can see the picture link is now broken. How can we fix this? I refuse to go set up an account on a photo-hosting site, I'm just going to stop posting the updates.

mariner

Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:32 pm

mariner wrote:
Rdh3e wrote:
On a serious note, we used to be able to upload photos to our profile to use in a thread. Now there is a manage attachment sections, but there is no way to ever attach anything.

For example, I want to create the update to the thread I've been posting recently:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=605493

You can see the picture link is now broken. How can we fix this? I refuse to go set up an account on a photo-hosting site, I'm just going to stop posting the updates.

I sympathize with your frustration, it took me a wee while to learn how to do it and I had a lot of help from other members - it all happened upthread (about page 22) over several posts. I'll explain it in my layman's terms, the way I've learned it, although I'm sure there are more technical explanations.

Step 1: Choose the a.net photo you want to include, right click on it - (control/click on Mac) - and select "Copy image address" from the list of options that appear.

Step 2: On the a.net page when you are composing your actual post, there are six grey boxes above the text box, each with options (the last is BBCODES).

The third option in the 3rd box is "insert image". Click on it and this will appear in your draft post: [img]and[/img].

Paste your already copied photo image address (step 1) between the two "[img]and[/img]" - in the middle, so to speak - and when you preview, the photo will appear:

Now that I know how to do it I find it very simple, but it did take a bit of trial and error. :-)

mariner
aeternum nauta

mariner

Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:38 pm

Sorry, I didn't mean to post twice. I got excited because I've just learned how to make my text black, not grey (thanks Kas). Moderators please delete the first.

mariner
aeternum nauta

scbriml

Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:46 pm

mariner wrote:
Sorry, I didn't mean to post twice. I got excited because I've just learned how to make my text black, not grey (thanks Kas). Moderators please delete the first.

mariner

Mariner, you can delete your own post! Click on the 'cog' icon and 'Delete' is one of the menu items.
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

mariner

Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:07 pm

scbriml wrote:
mariner wrote:
[color=#000040]Sorry, I didn't mean to post twice. I got excited because I've just learned how to make my text black, not grey (thanks Kas). Moderators please delete the first.

mariner

Mariner, you can delete your own post! Click on the 'cog' icon and 'Delete' is one of the menu items.

Ah - now you've got me. There's a lot to to learn - LOL.

The only "cog" icon I can see is on the top right hand corner above the post, next to the "reply with quote" icon." But the cog on my posts only offers "edit this post" or "report this post." I'm not seeing 'delete" anywhere.

Unless reporting it also means delete? Or am I looking in the wrong place? Is there a different cog somewhere else?

mariner[/color]
aeternum nauta

scbriml

Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:40 pm

mariner wrote:
Unless reporting it also means delete? Or am I looking in the wrong place? Is there a different cog somewhere else?

mariner[/color]

Yes, it's the 'cog button' next to the quote button. I just checked an old post and didn't get one, so it looks like there might be a time limit to when you can delete it.

ps I just checked this post shortly after adding it, and i do get the option to delete it!

mariner

Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:49 pm

scbriml wrote:
Yes, it's the 'cog button' next to the quote button. I just checked an old post and didn't get one, so it looks like there might be a time limit to when you can delete it.

Yes, ]I guess there is a time limit - perhaps half-an-hour as there was with editing posts on the old website? It offers me the opportunity to delete this post if I want, but I guess it goes away. The upshot is that I can't delete the double post, so I'll leave it to the moderators. Thanks, anyway - I'll know next time.

mariner
aeternum nauta

johnr

Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:21 pm

They've kept one thing from the old site I see. If you check the sites FB page you'll see they're sticking with an old tradition. I would have thought they would tone it down a bit taking into account the large amount of dissatisfaction from the users of this site at the moment.

reality

Sat Jul 02, 2016 12:45 am

mariner wrote:
coronado wrote:
Mariner, I do admire your positive attitude, and I keep signing on to the new a.net 2 or 3 times a day hoping to find the quick to navigate, multiple topic forum, that I got accustomed to since 1999, which I can quickly peruse and actually get good headlines with quick links to breaking news affecting civil aviation. I have never been on this site for the pictures, and while I enjoy looking at them now and then, and have great respect for the quality work by the contributing photographers, it is way down on the list of my interest in a.net. The Civil Aviation and to a secondary extent the Tech Ops Forums are why I paid a first class membership for most of the past 16 years. I am still working so I can only take a few minutes a day to peruse the site, and now find with the new format I have no interest in posting or asking questions and am now realizing that I am going 3 or 4 days without even opening the site and am not missing it. That is a terrible realization.

Sorry, but I can't help you.

When the site first appeared I was gob-smacked by the extent of the changes, and then frustrated and even, once or twice, either angry or depressed. I was particularly infuriated by the us of the "Death Skull" avatar - whoever thought that was a good idea especially when it appeared so soon after the Orlando massacre?

So I set about changing the avatar, which required a little advice from a moderator, and found it a slightly frustrating experience (the image I wanted to use was either too big or too small), but I got there and realized that this new site was going to take some work by me - computer illiterate me. So I set about about learning how it works. There was one major issue (which was covered in this thread) of how to post photos, and - again - eventually I got there, with a lot of help from other members and moderators and with no small sense of triumph on my part - LOL.

Once I had done that, I began to understand the mechanics of the site, and now it seems - to me - to be simple and easy to use. All the many things that people complain they can't do I seem to be able to do with ease (quoting from a post in a reply, for example, double quoting if I want) - finding unread posts in a thread, finding the last unread post in a thread. The little bell tells me if there are new posts in a thread, but I can also see it by the presence of * (or lack of it) beside the thread title.

I don't know what more I could wish for, other than the look of it, and since I never liked the blue background that isn't issue for me, other than the font. I do agree that some things seem to be taking a long time to fix, but if the blue background is high on the list for the developers, I'm glad it's taking a long time.

I accept that the photographers may have other issues that don't concern me, but I'm 75 years old, I don't own a mobile because I can't figure how to use one - or can't be bothered - and yet I can navigate this site. I learned how to do it because I like the content and I am astonished by the constant complaints of those much younger than I.

But some of those complaints are giving me the sh*ts. It's fine in this Site Related forum, but we get threads in Civil Aviation moaning about this awful new site, and it simply isn't awful for me. As I said, I'm enjoying the site and I feel just a tad smug that I can when so many seem to be just throwing up their hands in horror - and determined to share their horror with us. The fuss about ads is astonishing to me, because there is such a simple solution, readily available.

Get on with it, I say, either learn how to use the site or leave.

mariner

It's great that you're 75 and apparently have unlimited time to figure-out all the new changes. I guess we will all figure it out eventually. At this point not everyone has the time or the patience or the inclination to do so. Hence all the negative feedback.

reality

Sat Jul 02, 2016 12:48 am

It's great that you're 75 and apparently have unlimited time to figure-out all the new changes. I guess we will all figure it out eventually. At this point not everyone has the time or the patience or the inclination to do so. Hence all the negative feedback. I didn't want to quote your whole post but I don't see how to quote just a part of it. Plus it looks like my post may be duplicated. You may not feel the frustration, but I do.

Moose135

Sat Jul 02, 2016 1:21 am

reality wrote:
I didn't want to quote your whole post but I don't see how to quote just a part of it.

You select the quote button on his post, then in the window where you write your post and it shows his message with quote tags, you simply delete the portion of his post that you don't want to include in the quote - just like I did with when I quoted your message. Most forums I use work this way, the old A.net style of highlighting text and hitting the quote button was an exception.
KC-135 - Passing gas and taking names!

mariner

Sat Jul 02, 2016 1:23 am

reality wrote:
It's great that you're 75 and apparently have unlimited time to figure-out all the new changes. I guess we will all figure it out eventually. At this point not everyone has the time or the patience or the inclination to do so. Hence all the negative feedback. I didn't want to quote your whole post but I don't see how to quote just a part of it. Plus it looks like my post may be duplicated. You may not feel the frustration, but I do.

I don't have a lot of time - LOL - I'm still working. I make time because it's something I want to do. All up, I suppose I've spent a couple of hours learning this new site language. I've felt frustration, as I said in my original post on this, but partly that's annoyance with myself and I use that as a spur - if others can do it, I can, and if I need help I ask, as I've done here.

When I first joined a.net on the old website it took me quite a while - probably more than two hours - to learn all the stuff.

mariner
aeternum nauta

Max Q

Sat Jul 02, 2016 4:19 am

WHY mess with a good thing ?

The old site was a delight, simple, user friendly and attractive.

This 'update' is a disaster, unattractive, needlessly complex and a major step backward, unless you like pop up ads,

WHAT was the 'reasoning' behind the change ?

This is about as popular as Ike Turner on the 'view'
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.

GGg

mikeyg

Sat Jul 02, 2016 8:53 am

Time for a revamp. This site looks 20 years old. Can't wait for the next version.

Vasu

Sat Jul 02, 2016 9:00 am

Some of the comments on this thread are amusing... It's a website! Change happens...

gharv

Sat Jul 02, 2016 7:45 pm

I have 29 pages worth of photos...
To get to see some of my photos on say .. page 15 will take me around 5 minutes of clicking....
What an absolutely daft set up this new site is..

Manchester my home airport has around 1950 pages.
Photos will go unseen for years unless you endlessly endlessly endlessly click on each page..
Unless im missing something..

This site is so bad I have lost so much interest in it...
Not even attempted to upload a single photo since the change over.
Shame.

Gareth

alberchico

Sat Jul 02, 2016 9:38 pm

If speedbored can come up with a temporary fix to the site theme so quickly, why does it take the developers so long to address the background readability issues ???
short summary of every jewish holiday: they tried to kill us ,we won , lets eat !

airkas1

Sat Jul 02, 2016 10:25 pm

alberchico wrote:
If speedbored can come up with a temporary fix to the site theme so quickly, why does it take the developers so long to address the background readability issues ???

Because they also seem to install a new forum theme at the same time, incl. all the tweaks.

bsbisland

Sun Jul 03, 2016 2:47 am

Amazing to see threads that would have dozens of replies now have just a few... I see this forum dying...

dtw9

Sun Jul 03, 2016 4:00 am

If this isn't the biggest aviation disaster of 2016 I don't know what is . This site ranks right up there with Cocoa Cola's decision to introduce New Coke. You guys sure know how to chase your customer base away.

beiaard

Sun Jul 03, 2016 4:42 am

Just wanted to add my two cents here. I've never seen a community go to absolute shit as quickly as I've seen Airliners.net do so. The contributions and contributors here had always been of very high quality, and now we have (presumably) children asking questions like, "why aren't there more trijets?" and "why isn't there food on domestic flights?" I've been a member of this forum for quite some time, and a reader for even longer (since about 2000), and I'm sick to have decided that today is the day I visit A.net for the last time. I don't typically use strong language, but since I'm pretty pissed and since I don't intend to be back around here, I'll close my longstanding relationship with this website by saying congratulations, Demand Media -- you've fucked a really great thing.
BONARUM ARTIUM RERUMQUE HUMANARUM AC DIVINARUM STUDIOSOS CONVOCAMUS

AirlineCritic

Sun Jul 03, 2016 10:02 am

I don't know if the stay-logged-in-changes have taken any effect yet.

I constantly, automatically, and deterministically get logged off all the time.

For me, this is the most troublesome part of the website. I go to www.airlines.com main page, and shows my personal icon in the upper right corner. I click on topics to open them on different tabs. When I go to the actual tabs then, I found out that I'm not logged on because there is no "go to first unread" button. Or worse, I read the whole thing, and attempt to post something.

I'd suggest that fixing this should take priority.

I realise that even small changes require some care testing, and you can't implement things willy-nilly. But I wanted to say that I'm quite bothered by this, and it reduces my willingness and ability to comment on threads. And this is from someone who otherwise generally likes the new layout. (At least as long as some extra whitespace is taken away and annoying video adverts are not interfering with my reading experience.)

kulverstukas

Sun Jul 03, 2016 1:03 pm

As a business model of making more money from advertising this site doesn't need professional contributors any more. With it's huge photo base and earned reputation it will lasts about two years from now just farming clicks from one-time visitors coming here from internet search and old links. On contrary, the more non-enthusiasts and non-aviation related traffic it will generate, the higher click rate it will get (community is here for content and sporadic visitor come here by the chain of clicks and go out by ad links).

So this move to make site looks more "stupid user friendly" is quite smart in current business model. At least, after ten years of supporting mindblowing and annoying useless purchase it's time for DM to milk the cow and then sell it to slaughterhouse.

JohnKrist
Head Support

Sun Jul 03, 2016 1:21 pm

beiaard wrote:
Just wanted to add my two cents here. I've never seen a community go to absolute shit as quickly as I've seen Airliners.net do so. The contributions and contributors here had always been of very high quality, and now we have (presumably) children asking questions like, "why aren't there more trijets?" and "why isn't there food on domestic flights?" I've been a member of this forum for quite some time, and a reader for even longer (since about 2000), and I'm sick to have decided that today is the day I visit A.net for the last time. I don't typically use strong language, but since I'm pretty pissed and since I don't intend to be back around here, I'll close my longstanding relationship with this website by saying congratulations, Demand Media -- you've fucked a really great thing.

Please list all questions that you feel are of low quality, that we should censor for being stupid. Tell us what an acceptable question should look like. Please tell us what the minimum qualification for joining our forum should be, so we can draw a line of wanted users and users non grata.