Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
Aircellist
Posts: 1732
Joined: Fri Oct 08, 2004 8:43 am

Re: Airliners.net Site Upgrade Announcement & Discussion

Tue Jul 05, 2016 5:07 pm

airkas1 wrote:
angad84 wrote:
But then I noted that they had done a decent job of the migration, so obviously put some sold man hours in there, and are working to address complaints as they arise (the results are debatable). Obviously not a quick and dirty job.

That's when I was reminded of something a professor of mine used to quote very often - "Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by incompetence" - and realised that there doesn't need to be some grand conspiracy theory. They f***ed up, plain and simple.

It's not a quick and dirty job for sure and I like to think we have good contact with the developers about solving all the issues. However, your last sentence kind of sums it up; the site was launched too fast, while there were still too many issues. DM have said that they were quite overwhelmed with the responses (but which the crew saw coming). They've worked very hard since the launch, including evenings and weekends. I'm confident things will look better by the end of this week as per the last update in the Issues FAQ thread.


If, and I believe your word and also John's, DM did not listen to your remarks beforehand, I must say I do have sympathy for the poor souls caught on developing probably almost full time… But not for the top brass. Not at all. Every single criticism is as well deserved as the eventual praise.

More criticism than praise? Well, in my trade, if you go in concert without enough preparation, rehearsal time, if you launch a record improperly edited or mastered, you deserve the criticism that will come back at you.

But I'm afraid DM doesn't really care, as far as they can milk the (mad) cow… And I would be surprised that the deciding ones are also the ones working overtime to fix the bugs…

Hours, days, weeks have passed and I still get continuously logged off. Sometimes, rarely, randomly, logged back in. The "continue where you left off" function after login is still nonexistent. The replies in a thread are still not numbered and if there is a way to go back to a quoted reply, I haven't found it. The smilies collection is a pale shade of what was the coolest I knew.

The good? Well, quite a few very interesting posters have remained here.
 
Aircellist
Posts: 1732
Joined: Fri Oct 08, 2004 8:43 am

Re: Airliners.net Site Upgrade Announcement & Discussion

Tue Jul 05, 2016 5:10 pm

I will add that clicking on the recent activity list close to my skull avatar does not lead me to the last reply, and there is no show last reply button on the page list at the top.
 
User avatar
einsteinboricua
Posts: 8812
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:11 pm

Re: Airliners.net Site Upgrade Announcement & Discussion

Tue Jul 05, 2016 5:12 pm

It's a shame I'm no longer studying project management. This is a classic example of not involving stakeholders (of which members are a big part of) in the decision making process. It would make for a great case study.
 
ArmitageShanks
Posts: 3779
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2003 5:30 am

Re: Airliners.net Site Upgrade Announcement & Discussion

Tue Jul 05, 2016 6:30 pm

JohnKrist wrote:
ArmitageShanks wrote:
How is talking about the way a company does business or the methods they use to generate revenue against the rules? Why were many posts talking about the history and experience of writing articles for DM deleted? What rules did they violate vs censoring negative opinions of the owners? There was no foul language, personal attacks or anything of the sort.


How is the key word here, the discussions were more expressions of hatred and disgust than constructive. DM is a company, companies need to make money, it's as easy as that.


Ok, so as long as I'm "constructive" and don't come across as hateful I can still point out the disadvantages and the reasons why their business decisions are bad for the community and internet as a whole, quoting stories and personal experiences of people who have participated in their editing and publishing schemes and have found it unsavory. Got it.

You're a fantastic spokesman for the company by the way. You faithfully follow and carry out orders from your superiors without question and with zeal.
 
User avatar
kulverstukas
Posts: 1101
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:58 am

Re: Airliners.net Site Upgrade Announcement & Discussion

Tue Jul 05, 2016 6:57 pm

ArmitageShanks wrote:

You're a fantastic spokesman for the company by the way. You faithfully follow and carry out orders from your superiors without question and with zeal...


...for free!
 
User avatar
GVerbeeck
Posts: 188
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2005 4:34 am

Re: Airliners.net Site Upgrade Announcement & Discussion

Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:49 pm

Is there any chance to see the registration number under the thumbs without having to click'em open for all the info?

Also, where is the statistics page (uploads per year, number of views, regs, ac types etc etc) previously found in the photographer page?

Thx, Gio
 
User avatar
judbid
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2005 2:45 am

Search Function - No Registrations Showing

Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:15 pm

FlyPIJets wrote:
The photo search function has lost a lot of usability. Cant search by location, can't search by year of photo, can't search by aircraft type. Can't search by airline. That is awful. I mean if you have a site that curates aircraft photos, accessing those photo is something you should be good at.


I agree - and if you search by type and airline, for example, then pictures shown don't show registrations, which makes specific aircraft searches very difficult. (Eg: Virgin Atlantic & A340 - what are the range of registrations? Not shown...)

Michael Brazier
 
User avatar
ricox
Posts: 167
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:26 pm

photo view ...

Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:22 pm

In the last 3 day I uploded some pics ... so sad to see the number of view... Pics that with the old site could reach 500 views now don't reach 100 ... For sure this site has many few visitors .. Other issue could be the dimension of thumbnail ... So big that anyone click on it ... Specially for top 5 ...
Bye
 
User avatar
fortytwoeyes
Posts: 92
Joined: Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:56 pm

Re: Airliners.net Site Upgrade Announcement & Discussion

Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:27 pm

I have a (low priority) feature request/suggestion: Most forums have a button to search for other posts by a member. I think even the old a.net had it (although it obviously had purely decorative value with the way the search used to not work). Any chance of bringing that back?

edit: Never mind, I found it in the profile view.
 
User avatar
JohnKrist
Head Support
Posts: 1982
Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2005 11:54 pm

Re: Airliners.net Site Upgrade Announcement & Discussion

Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:30 pm

fortytwoeyes wrote:
I have a (low priority) feature request/suggestion: Most forums have a button to search for other posts by a member. I think even the old a.net had it (although it obviously had purely decorative value with the way the search used to not work). Any chance of bringing that back?

edit: Never mind, I found it in the profile view.


You can also click Search top left in the forum, where you get a dropdown, choose Advanced Search and enter username in the author field.
 
User avatar
ssteve
Posts: 1553
Joined: Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:32 am

Re: Airliners.net Site Upgrade Announcement & Discussion

Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:58 pm

Aircellist wrote:
The good? Well, quite a few very interesting posters have remained here.


The problem will be that if the audience is gone, they'll leave too.

Sure, as a "stakeholder" the average joe forum user like me has no stake because I create no added value. So sure, disregard me/us entirely. But if the end result is killing the forums, it's not like this site will remain a place where the discussion has more signal-to-noise than the CNN comment section, because the interesting posters have to use the site to make interesting posts.
 
User avatar
mariner
Posts: 19473
Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2001 7:29 am

Re: Airliners.net Site Upgrade Announcement & Discussion

Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:00 pm

kulverstukas wrote:
Isn't it a time then to close and delete all threads about how awful new site is, erase all "whining" and start heavily premoderate open threads for everything except technical questions and bug reports?


Oh, yes please.

I've learnt how to do most everything I want to on this new site - with the help of mods and other members. I've had a good time learning it all and now I'm having as much fun as I have ever had on a.net.

I'm stuck on just one very tiny thing - how to bookmark threads.

I thought I had a couple book-marked but then realised they were hangovers from the old site, and now I'm a bit stuck. The UCP says I can do but doesn't tell me how - although it does tell me how to delete bookmarked threads. Yesterday I deleted all my old "starred" threads going back to 2006. LOL

A "how to" thread would be very useful - I'm bored with trudging through the weeping and wailing and gnashing of teeth on this thread to see if someone else has had the same issue.

Any clues, anyone?

mariner
 
User avatar
AlphaBravo
Posts: 12
Joined: Fri May 27, 2005 9:54 pm

Re: Airliners.net Site Upgrade Announcement & Discussion

Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:02 pm

Hi,

how can I correct information on an accepted photo?
Thx.

Kind regards
Anto
 
User avatar
JohnKrist
Head Support
Posts: 1982
Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2005 11:54 pm

Re: Airliners.net Site Upgrade Announcement & Discussion

Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:04 pm

Mariner, some of it you can find in the New Site FAQ. The bookmarking is done by clicking the star in the top right part of the topic, below the page index. By clicking the eye next to the star creates notifications for that thread.
 
User avatar
mariner
Posts: 19473
Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2001 7:29 am

Re: Airliners.net Site Upgrade Announcement & Discussion

Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:08 pm

JohnKrist wrote:
Mariner, some of it you can find in the New Site FAQ. The bookmarking is done by clicking the star in the top right part of the topic, below the page index. By clicking the eye next to the star creates notifications for that thread.


Thanks, mate. I feel a bit silly because I knew it was going to be easy when I found out. I'd tried everything but clicking that one star - LOL.

I still think there's value in a "how to" thread.

mariner
 
User avatar
airkas1
Posts: 7904
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2003 7:01 am

Re: Airliners.net Site Upgrade Announcement & Discussion

Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:32 pm

yari wrote:
After uploading the picture with all that information, registration included, there on final appearance in Queue, the REGISTRATION NUMBER IS MISSING, and picture rejected. Why? What am I doing ( or somebody ...) doing wrong? Thanks, Yari.

I will send you a PM about this.

Aircellist wrote:
I will add that clicking on the recent activity list close to my skull avatar does not lead me to the last reply, and there is no show last reply button on the page list at the top.

It's not supposed to work like that. The "recent activity" shows just that, not where the last reply is. There should be an asterix in front of the topic title (seen from the forum overview. If you click it, you will be taken to the most recent (unseen by you) reply in that thread. Alternatively, there should be a "first unread post" button on the top right above the first post of a page (immediately to the left of the 'page 1' button).


GVerbeeck wrote:
Is there any chance to see the registration number under the thumbs without having to click'em open for all the info?
Also, where is the statistics page (uploads per year, number of views, regs, ac types etc etc) previously found in the photographer page?

Hi Gio,
- The registration underneath the thumbnail is on our fix-list, so that will return.
- I'm not sure about the status of that page. I will enquire about this.

AlphaBravo wrote:
how can I correct information on an accepted photo?

Hi Anto,
Please send en E-mail to the editors about this (editors[at]airliners.net). Please note that they have some issues with their tools, so changing the info might take longer than normal. In the future, there will be a wrench-icon underneath every photo, on the left side of the E-mail icon. By clicking that, you can submit corrections. It will work the same as with the old site.

mariner wrote:
I still think there's value in a "how to" thread.mariner

I'll sort that out in the next few days when I have time.
 
Viscount724
Posts: 19316
Joined: Thu Oct 12, 2006 7:32 pm

Re: Search Function - No Registrations Showing

Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:54 pm

judbid wrote:
FlyPIJets wrote:
The photo search function has lost a lot of usability. Cant search by location, can't search by year of photo, can't search by aircraft type. Can't search by airline. That is awful. I mean if you have a site that curates aircraft photos, accessing those photo is something you should be good at.


I agree - and if you search by type and airline, for example, then pictures shown don't show registrations, which makes specific aircraft searches very difficult. (Eg: Virgin Atlantic & A340 - what are the range of registrations? Not shown...)

Michael Brazier


You can still use all the former photo search criteria. After clicking Photos>Search, click the Advanced link at upper right and you'll see all the drop-down search criteria boxes.
 
User avatar
B77L
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:43 am

Re: Airliners.net Site Upgrade Announcement & Discussion

Wed Jul 06, 2016 3:16 am

Any one can tell me how to see the queuing number of my screening photos, as well as my personal photo stats?
 
User avatar
HGL
Posts: 330
Joined: Sat May 28, 2016 3:25 am

Re: Airliners.net Site Upgrade Announcement & Discussion

Wed Jul 06, 2016 3:23 am

Some posters have commented that it is not possible to simply quote highlighted text as was possible on the old site. There is a way of doing this. One noticeable difference is that on the old site the reply box was already displayed when you visited a page. On the new site, it isn't. So step one is to open the reply box by clicking on the +Reply button at the top or bottom of the page.

Then you can scroll to the post to which you wish to reply, highlight the text that you wish to quote and click on the quote bubble. For example:
airkas1 wrote:
I'll sort that out in the next few days when I have time.


You can even quote more than one poster:
ssteve wrote:
The problem will be that if the audience is gone, they'll leave too.


It isn't as simple as the old method but it does mean you don't have to edit the entire post from which you are quoting. You might want to click on the Expand View button to make it easier to read posts in the thread. This method will only work on the page that you are currently on and then only until you actually post.
 
User avatar
cougar15
Posts: 1462
Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:10 pm

Re: Airliners.net Site Upgrade Announcement & Discussion

Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:03 am

How come a locked thread stays at the top of the list (example " Article Editors required" in civ. av) in the Forums for so long? Just a small issue, but such a boaring thread at the top of civil aviation for days & days on end? I thought the top of the Forum does/should show the thread with the most recent replies. why do we have this ´article Editor required´ thread there forever even though it is long locked & only has 11 replies?
 
User avatar
JohnKrist
Head Support
Posts: 1982
Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2005 11:54 pm

Re: Airliners.net Site Upgrade Announcement & Discussion

Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:43 am

cougar15 wrote:
How come a locked thread stays at the top of the list (example " Article Editors required" in civ. av) in the Forums for so long? Just a small issue, but such a boaring thread at the top of civil aviation for days & days on end? I thought the top of the Forum does/should show the thread with the most recent replies. why do we have this ´article Editor required´ thread there forever even though it is long locked & only has 11 replies?


Because it's a sticky topic, once it's not relevant the sticky will be removed and it will fall like all other topics do. Only moderators can set a topic to sticky.
 
User avatar
DennisK
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:21 pm

Re: photo view ...

Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:41 am

DennisK wrote:

After you lost fr24 the views decrease massive and after the upgrade the views decrease again.
Now a normal picture has less than 20 views, instead of more 200+. That are less views than on smaller/unpopular aviation Homepages.

What will a.net do, to increase the views and trafic on a.net?


ricox wrote:
In the last 3 day I uploded some pics ... so sad to see the number of view... Pics that with the old site could reach 500 views now don't reach 100 ... For sure this site has many few visitors .. Other issue could be the dimension of thumbnail ... So big that anyone click on it ... Specially for top 5 ...
Bye


No ideas?

Or will a.net ignore the problem and requests about?

No views means less/no uploads and without uploads bye bye a.net
 
zkeye
Posts: 225
Joined: Fri May 13, 2005 7:05 pm

Re: Airliners.net Site Upgrade Announcement & Discussion

Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:54 am

<blockquote>No views means less/no uploads and without uploads bye bye a.net</blockquote>

A.net is gone already. The site "upgrade" was designed with more pageviews/clicks in mind and the news that DM are seeking "contributors" for is the final nail in the coffin. A.net is about to descend into a content farm with vacuous "news" articles - take a look at the other DM sites if you don't believe me. DM will be hoping for a plane crash to drive clicks to the site. The photo contributors have, as far as DM are concerned, done their bit by creating a site with some kudos that they will now cash in on.

I feel sorry for the crew who are sticking up for this. I salute you though for your loyalty.
 
Setjet
Posts: 1143
Joined: Fri Mar 15, 2002 12:54 am

Re: Airliners.net Site Upgrade Announcement & Discussion

Wed Jul 06, 2016 3:42 pm

This site really sucks, now. In the last 2-3 weeks, after all of these complaints I have not seen a single (!) on any item raised. Did I miss something?

I have to stop now, my eyes hurt with all of this grey...
 
User avatar
speedbored
Posts: 2230
Joined: Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:14 am

Re: Airliners.net Site Upgrade Announcement & Discussion

Wed Jul 06, 2016 4:09 pm

Setjet wrote:
I have to stop now, my eyes hurt with all of this grey...

We have a solution for that: https://www.airliners.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1335851
 
User avatar
airkas1
Posts: 7904
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2003 7:01 am

Re: Airliners.net Site Upgrade Announcement & Discussion

Wed Jul 06, 2016 4:55 pm

Setjet wrote:
after all of these complaints I have not seen a single (!) on any item raised.

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1335403
 
User avatar
PeterB
Posts: 82
Joined: Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:07 pm

Re: Airliners.net Site Upgrade Announcement & Discussion

Wed Jul 06, 2016 5:21 pm

1a) I think the pictures that are shown after clicking on "Top of Last: 24 Hours" are also older than 24 hours.
1b) Why does "Last" begin with a capital letter? I don't get it.

2) Can you implement a "Delete" button for the list of rejected images? This would increase the overview significantly.

Best,
Peter
 
sppunk
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2015 2:13 am

Re: Airliners.net Site Upgrade Announcement & Discussion

Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:06 pm

This new site is unreadable on an iPad. If you scroll the page goes all white. If you open links in new tabs it doesn't actually open, you have to refresh. If you zoom/unzoom the page goes white and you have to refresh.

I'm posting this on my desktop that I never use because I can't stand it on the iPad. I haven't been able to read a post without frustration since this went live. For a "mobile friendly" site this is beyond failure.

FWIW my iPad is the latest edition Pro. My wife's Air 2 has the same issue, when on wifi or network 4G.
 
User avatar
JohnKrist
Head Support
Posts: 1982
Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2005 11:54 pm

Re: Airliners.net Site Upgrade Announcement & Discussion

Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:51 pm

sppunk wrote:
This new site is unreadable on an iPad. If you scroll the page goes all white. If you open links in new tabs it doesn't actually open, you have to refresh. If you zoom/unzoom the page goes white and you have to refresh.

I'm posting this on my desktop that I never use because I can't stand it on the iPad. I haven't been able to read a post without frustration since this went live. For a "mobile friendly" site this is beyond failure.

FWIW my iPad is the latest edition Pro. My wife's Air 2 has the same issue, when on wifi or network 4G.


Strange, I use iPad pro 90% of the time, iPhone and desktop share the last 10% and I have no issues like that. On iPad I use chrome, on iPhone I use Safari.
 
Rexus
Posts: 45
Joined: Mon May 07, 2007 4:13 am

Re: Airliners.net Site Upgrade Announcement & Discussion

Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:19 pm

airkas1 wrote:
Rexus wrote:
Hi there,

did you accidentally roll back an upgrade that has been implemented before?
It is not possible to sort an album by "date added", only by "views" and "likes". If I remember correctly, you have fixed this before (I checked last weekend, because it was one of the things that I reported here in an earlier post and I really think it was possible to sort by the date the picture was added to the album).


Did you read the official update thread yet..? Last post is Probably why the photo albums could be a bit iffy right now.
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1335415


airkas1,

please excuse my late reply, I did not see the notification on the boards.

However: Yes, I did read the official update thread. The missing feature I complained about however does not have anything to do with missing photos on the albums, but with the unability to sort/order the photos within a photo album by the date the photos were added to the album. As of now it is only possible to sort them via their individual number of views and their individual number of likes. On the old website, when I added a picture to the album, it was shown first or last when I clicked on my album to see the pictures I added to the album. I hope the "sort by date added" will be implemented again.
 
User avatar
airkas1
Posts: 7904
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2003 7:01 am

Re: Airliners.net Site Upgrade Announcement & Discussion

Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:36 pm

Rexus wrote:
please excuse my late reply, I did not see the notification on the boards.

However: Yes, I did read the official update thread. The missing feature I complained about however does not have anything to do with missing photos on the albums, but with the unability to sort/order the photos within a photo album by the date the photos were added to the album. As of now it is only possible to sort them via their individual number of views and their individual number of likes. On the old website, when I added a picture to the album, it was shown first or last when I clicked on my album to see the pictures I added to the album. I hope the "sort by date added" will be implemented again.


No worries! :)
And I'll ask the developers to enable this again.
 
len90
Posts: 1178
Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2006 1:03 pm

Re: Airliners.net Site Upgrade Announcement & Discussion

Thu Jul 07, 2016 4:04 am

Any plans to incorporate a way to a users images on the site from their clickable profile?
Copyright bar still not existent?

In other news... nice to see the issue with the links for airport overview thumbnails that lack any airline/aircraft information are now fixed.
 
User avatar
ricox
Posts: 167
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:26 pm

Top5 photo dimension and thunbail dimension in general....

Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:09 am

Hi,
I think that one of the pleasure for an A.net (and other sites) uploader, is to see his/her photo views counter, speaking about desktop version of the site, I noticed that, now, the uploaded photos thumbnails are bigger than before, especially for the last 24h Top 5 the preview is very big :shock: ; this way to show photo preview decrease the curiosity about the original, large and detailed version of the pic and so a lot of people don't click to open it and the view counter doesn't increase (I suppose :?: ).
Don't you think that a smaller version of photo thumbnails could be better? :idea:
Thanks.
 
User avatar
JohnKrist
Head Support
Posts: 1982
Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2005 11:54 pm

Re: Top5 photo dimension and thumbnail dimension in general....

Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:27 am

ricox wrote:
Hi,
I think that one of the pleasure for an A.net (and other sites) uploader, is to see his/her photo views counter, speaking about desktop version of the site, I noticed that, now, the uploaded photos thumbnails are bigger than before, especially for the last 24h Top 5 the preview is very big :shock: ; this way to show photo preview decrease the curiosity about the original, large and detailed version of the pic and so a lot of people don't click to open it and the view counter doesn't increase (I suppose :?: ).
Don't you think that a smaller version of photo thumbnails could be better? :idea:
Thanks.


I agree completely, and hope that the view counter system is revised, or that the thumbnails are smaller.
 
User avatar
johnr
Posts: 139
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2005 9:46 pm

Re: Airliners.net Site Upgrade Announcement & Discussion

Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:00 am

Make the top 5 small enough to fit the top 10 on the front page. The only shots that get looked at now are the front page ones and those that get put on FB. Even make the featured photographers smaller to highlight more of them as well. You've got to get as many photos on the front page as possible.
 
User avatar
airkas1
Posts: 7904
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2003 7:01 am

Re: Airliners.net Site Upgrade Announcement & Discussion

Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:40 am

len90 wrote:
Any plans to incorporate a way to a users images on the site from their clickable profile?
Copyright bar still not existent?

Yes and yes.
johnr wrote:
Make the top 5 small enough to fit the top 10 on the front page. The only shots that get looked at now are the front page ones and those that get put on FB. Even make the featured photographers smaller to highlight more of them as well. You've got to get as many photos on the front page as possible.

I like that idea, will add it to the list, thanks.
 
User avatar
coronado
Posts: 1294
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 1999 9:42 am

Re: Airliners.net Site Upgrade Announcement & Discussion

Thu Jul 07, 2016 2:18 pm

speedbored wrote:
Setjet wrote:
I have to stop now, my eyes hurt with all of this grey...

We have a solution for that: https://www.airliners.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1335851


Here, here! I just installed speedbored's solution to my Dell Inspiron 15 laptop's Chrome browser, and visualization of the site is greatly improved. Still wastes a lot of space but a lot more restful on the eyes.

The beauty of this 'fix' is I am no longer seeing any ads. I would think that alone would prompt DM to roll out a correction to the visuals ASAP, before more users decide to try the Speedbored Solution. At some stage advertisers will realize that 100% of the (remaining) a.net users are all using the Stylish Speedbored Solution and that no eyeballs are actually looking at any ads.
 
User avatar
hOMSaR
Moderator
Posts: 2426
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:47 am

Re: Airliners.net Site Upgrade Announcement & Discussion

Thu Jul 07, 2016 2:25 pm

HGL wrote:
Some posters have commented that it is not possible to simply quote highlighted text as was possible on the old site. There is a way of doing this. One noticeable difference is that on the old site the reply box was already displayed when you visited a page. On the new site, it isn't. So step one is to open the reply box by clicking on the +Reply button at the top or bottom of the page.

Then you can scroll to the post to which you wish to reply, highlight the text that you wish to quote and click on the quote bubble.


Thanks for pointing this out. I didn't know about that possibility for quoting. It's pretty clunky, but it works if the thread is short enough. There's a limit to how far back you can go and still quote posts using this method (I'm not sure how many posts that is).
 
User avatar
ssteve
Posts: 1553
Joined: Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:32 am

Re: Airliners.net Site Upgrade Announcement & Discussion

Thu Jul 07, 2016 2:46 pm

coronado wrote:
The beauty of this 'fix' is I am no longer seeing any ads. I would think that alone would prompt DM to roll out a correction to the visuals ASAP, before more users decide to try the Speedbored Solution. At some stage advertisers will realize that 100% of the (remaining) a.net users are all using the Stylish Speedbored Solution and that no eyeballs are actually looking at any ads.


Given how obnoxious everyone has described the ads as-- I never saw them as I've had an adblocker on the whole time-- they're more likely assuming that every savvy regular user is just going to use an adblocker one way or another.... those ads aren't for making money off regular users, but visitors from the internet who have arrived via keyword searches.
 
User avatar
hOMSaR
Moderator
Posts: 2426
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:47 am

Re: Airliners.net Site Upgrade Announcement & Discussion

Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:11 pm

A couple days after the new site went live, I could have sworn I read at least one, maybe more, threads where the mouseover text was working to show airport and airline codes. However, shortly after I saw it, it went away, and hasn't been back since.

Was there some kind of test to get it working again, or did a specific poster (I couldn't possibly remember what thread that was now) find the necessary BB code to do it, and work it himself?
 
User avatar
kulverstukas
Posts: 1101
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:58 am

Re: Airliners.net Site Upgrade Announcement & Discussion

Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:29 pm

ssteve wrote:

Given how obnoxious everyone has described the ads as-- I never saw them as I've had an adblocker on the whole time-- they're more likely assuming that every savvy regular user is just going to use an adblocker one way or another.... those ads aren't for making money off regular users, but visitors from the internet who have arrived via keyword searches.


Just for clarification: no adblock for Android 5.0 and younger (without root) and no adblock for Win10 with Edge (regular users, non-developer preview) users.
 
User avatar
speedbored
Posts: 2230
Joined: Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:14 am

Re: Airliners.net Site Upgrade Announcement & Discussion

Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:09 pm

kulverstukas wrote:
Just for clarification: no adblock for Android 5.0 and younger (without root) and no adblock for Win10 with Edge (regular users, non-developer preview) users.

Well you could use the Stylish add-on with Chrome or Firefox, and use my "theme" fix to remove the ads.
 
Viscount724
Posts: 19316
Joined: Thu Oct 12, 2006 7:32 pm

Re: Airliners.net Site Upgrade Announcement & Discussion

Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:22 am

Suggested change for consideration:

1. In my opinion, the "TOP 100" photos link at the top of the home page isn't of much interest to the majority of members, and the photos seldom change. I don't think it warrants a separate link on its own. Suggest add it as an item in the "PHOTOS" drop-down list.

2. Also suggest delete the "ABOUT" link in the top row as the same link is already duplicated at the bottom of the page. It's also not important enough to warrant such a prime location in the top row of the home page. Few people are frequently accessing the ABOUT link, and in the majority of other websites, it's usually in a less obvious location, often among the links at the bottom of the page.

3. Use the resulting space in the top row to add the "NEWS" and "AIRCRAFT DATA" links that are now buried among the links at the bottom of the page. Those are very useful links and would benefit from greater visibility at the top, as they used to be in the old site. The NEWS link is even a big improvement in the new site as I can now open the news stories which I couldn't do previously (I believe only those with "First Class" memberships could access the stories previously; others could only see the headlines).
 
User avatar
ricox
Posts: 167
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:26 pm

Open Photo in a new tab

Fri Jul 08, 2016 7:50 am

Hi all,
some post ago I signaled that old site automatically opened pics i new tab, and imo this was a good functionality, now lost I think due to use of phpBB code.
:idea: But, perhaps most of you know this, I found a way to make the same with new links simply pressing:

Ctrl + Click

I hope this could be useful.

Bye
 
User avatar
Spiderguy252
Posts: 1272
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:58 am

Re: Airliners.net Site Upgrade Announcement & Discussion

Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:29 am

Has anything changed at all in the last 10 - 12 days? You'd think it's about time something did.
 
User avatar
mariner
Posts: 19473
Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2001 7:29 am

Re: Airliners.net Site Upgrade Announcement & Discussion

Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:41 am

Yo, Mods, the site is working just fine for me now that I've worked out (often with your help) how to do things. :-)

Mostly, I'm having a good time, however I am discovering that I really, really miss post numbering. It was so much easier when responding to other's posts to remember which post I was responding to. I can do it by user name, but users may have made more than one post in the same thread.

It ain't life or death, it's just easier. Any chance of bringing it back?

mariner
 
User avatar
airkas1
Posts: 7904
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2003 7:01 am

Re: Open Photo in a new tab

Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:13 am

Viscount724 wrote:
Suggested change for consideration:
1. In my opinion, the "TOP 100" photos link at the top of the home page isn't of much interest to the majority of members, and the photos seldom change. I don't think it warrants a separate link on its own. Suggest add it as an item in the "PHOTOS" drop-down list.
2. Also suggest delete the "ABOUT" link in the top row as the same link is already duplicated at the bottom of the page. It's also not important enough to warrant such a prime location in the top row of the home page. Few people are frequently accessing the ABOUT link, and in the majority of other websites, it's usually in a less obvious location, often among the links at the bottom of the page.
3. Use the resulting space in the top row to add the "NEWS" and "AIRCRAFT DATA" links that are now buried among the links at the bottom of the page. Those are very useful links and would benefit from greater visibility at the top, as they used to be in the old site. The NEWS link is even a big improvement in the new site as I can now open the news stories which I couldn't do previously (I believe only those with "First Class" memberships could access the stories previously; others could only see the headlines).

1: For some reason I remember we had a suggestion to change that and make that feature better, but I can't really find it anymore. I'll pass your suggestion on either way!
2/3: Will pass these on as well, thanks!

ricox wrote:
some post ago I signaled that old site automatically opened pics i new tab, and imo this was a good functionality, now lost I think due to use of phpBB code. :idea: But, perhaps most of you know this, I found a way to make the same with new links simply pressing:

This works, or you could right-click the link and open it in a new tab/window. I did put the 'open links in new window' on the list some time ago, but as you can imagine it has lower priority over other things.

Spiderguy252 wrote:
Has anything changed at all in the last 10 - 12 days? You'd think it's about time something did.

I suggest you follow this thread: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1335403

mariner wrote:
I really, really miss post numbering. It was so much easier when responding to other's posts to remember which post I was responding to. I can do it by user name, but users may have made more than one post in the same thread. Any chance of bringing it back?

I *think* this will return when the new forum layour and colors get implemented. But if not, it's on the list either way.
 
jetcrazy
Posts: 74
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2005 10:48 pm

Re: Airliners.net Site Upgrade Announcement & Discussion

Fri Jul 08, 2016 12:49 pm

Setjet wrote:
This site really sucks, now. In the last 2-3 weeks, after all of these complaints I have not seen a single (!) on any item raised. Did I miss something?

I have to stop now, my eyes hurt with all of this grey...


You´re right. It´s the same shit, but a different day.

The best site of aviation images turned to a junkyard which hurts (not just) my eyes. Unbelievable that such a terrible design could make it finally.... :?
 
slinky09
Posts: 666
Joined: Sat Jun 06, 2009 5:03 pm

Re: Airliners.net Site Upgrade Announcement & Discussion

Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:17 pm

jetcrazy wrote:
The best site of aviation images turned to a junkyard which hurts (not just) my eyes. Unbelievable that such a terrible design could make it finally.... :?


Not just junk, poor navigation and a host of features that should have and clearly were not tested before launch, the sign on thing is so basic and so crazily irritating that it's a sign of a process that puts usability below traffic.

What are the alternatives - where are people's options now?
 
jetcrazy
Posts: 74
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2005 10:48 pm

Re: Airliners.net Site Upgrade Announcement & Discussion

Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:46 pm

slinky09 wrote:

What are the alternatives - where are people's options now?


airfighters.com ...

No problem that this is just military. I´m already sick of those 737s and Airbuses.....

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos