Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

blandy62

Re: Airliners.net Site Upgrade Announcement & Discussion

Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:52 am

the forum looks better now. but i think the font should be smaller in order to display more topic. it is still quiyte difficult to have a quicly view of the topics

DeltaRules

Tue Jul 12, 2016 1:26 am

I'm still logged in! Today's even better! ;)
A310/319/320/321/333, ARJ, BN2, B717/722/73S/733/734/735/73G/738/739/744/757/753/767/763/764/777, CR1/2/7/9, DH6, 328, EM2/ERJ/E70/E75/E90, F28/100, J31, L10/12/15, DC9/D93/D94/D95/M80/M88/M90/D10, SF3, SST

N867DA

Tue Jul 12, 2016 1:35 am

I never realized how important branding is until I saw the good ole blue and and the airplane icon back in my a.net tab. The forum looks so much better now, and I look forward to looking at the rest of the site when the refresh has been applied to it. There's always the Internet Wayback machine for nostalgia ;)
A nation turns its lonely eyes to you

Viscount724

Tue Jul 12, 2016 1:52 am

Big improvement. Much easier on the eyes. A few suggestions, some probably already mentioned:

1. The member info/avatar box on the left could be smaller, especially vertically. For short posts of a couple of lines the big box results in a lot of blank space and more scrolling than necessary. The avatar is also of no interest to me so that could either be much smaller or deleted. I would prefer to see the avatar replaced with the old country flags especially since many of the avatars (for those using them) are meaningless logos etc.

2. It would speed up changing forums if mousing over the FORUM link near top left generated a drop down list of forums. There also seems to be plenty of room in that bar to include the QUICK LINKS, PHOTOS, and MORE links with their own drop down lists containing the same links that now appear at the bottom of the page. That list of all links at the bottom is nice and clear and would leave it as is but duplicating the main links in that top bar that's always visible would speed up navigation.
Last edited by Viscount724 on Tue Jul 12, 2016 1:56 am, edited 2 times in total.

blrsea

Tue Jul 12, 2016 1:54 am

The new color scheme is good. However, for the quoted text in posts, there is poor contrast for background and text and is a bit hard on the eyes. Can the quoted text color scheme be changed to enhance the contrast more?

And for each post, the profile pic is standard, and that occupies too much space. Even if the post is one liner, since the default profile pic takes up space, there appears to be lots of space. is it possible to not display the picture in profile if user hasn't set their profile picture? Will reduce the amount of whitespace. You can also explore just setting country flag if profile pic is not set, like the previous site.

Also, instead of having two lines under the profile pic for posts count and joined date, why don't we have it next to the date, where there is plenty of space? Or remove it all together? The profile pic area takes up too much space and hence posts look too big with lots of whitespace. Just removing it or reducing it to one or two lines will do wonders!

Dizzy777

Tue Jul 12, 2016 2:01 am

Advanced search isn't working properly. The boxes to select aircraft types are not populating, and even if you manually type in the details (which i have no idea why a dropdown menu is even allowing you to do that) it still just reverts to a default setting and shows the photographs for every aircraft type :/

teme82

Tue Jul 12, 2016 2:08 am

I don't know if anyone else is having the same issues that I have. But the ad's are really slowing down the page load times and making the top part of the forums unreadable from time to time. Usually when the popup ad at the top pops up. And then some ad's on the sides aren't scaled properly ....
Flying high and low

ssteve

Tue Jul 12, 2016 2:09 am

This is a major improvement! Even with some more wasted vertical space versus the old forum, at least you can follow the thread of discussion now. It's gone from completely broken to entirely usable.

That said, DM's suggestions in post #1550 are amazingly comprehensive and for the most part would bother no one...

ssteve

Tue Jul 12, 2016 2:11 am

blandy62 wrote:
the forum looks better now. but i think the font should be smaller in order to display more topic. it is still quiyte difficult to have a quicly view of the topics

Consider hitting Ctrl- until it is as small as you'd like.

You can also turn off signatures in the control panel, which reclaims some vertical space.

The topic list in the forum seems to have 100% vertical fat, which is annoying... but in general this is much improved.
Last edited by ssteve on Tue Jul 12, 2016 2:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

L-188

Tue Jul 12, 2016 2:27 am

Well logged in today and saw that you have chosen to go to the older blue on blue with white text color scheme.

Good call.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

mariner

Tue Jul 12, 2016 2:34 am

ssteve wrote:
That said, DM's suggestions in post #1550 are amazingly comprehensive and for the most part would bother no one...

Whoa - the return of the flags would bother me, they could be both misleading and divisive.

Misleading because other posters assumed that the flag denoted your nationality, and that wouldn't be true in my case and wasn't true for a number of others.

Divisive because I recall some posters putting up Palestinian flags or Egyptian flags at times of crisis which introduced a political element to an aviation website. If they are not accurate, what is the point of them? What is the point of them anyway?

mariner
aeternum nauta

VapourTrails

Tue Jul 12, 2016 3:14 am

I am so happy!! The colour scheme is like old, and now on the new, is much improved. Hey, it is a tribute and a link to the old site.

It is also so much better on the vision!! Couldn't use the previous format for too long in one sitting.

With regard to the flags being more visible, I did like them and value them. It does put into context some of the postings in the threads.

It shouldn't really matter, but IMHO it does - when they are genuine.

Milesdependent

Tue Jul 12, 2016 3:43 am

Big thumbs up to the new site design. Looking excellent now. Good work.

HGL

Tue Jul 12, 2016 3:46 am

Well, what a wonderful surprise. The site now looks more like the old one and so many of the complaints should disappear. Naturally there is still need for some work on other improvements but at least we know that, contrary to what the naysayers have said, issues are being looked at and DM are responding to forum input.

Thanks for the work so far. I look forward to further improvements.
Qui omnes despicit, omnibus displicit.

trevisan26

Tue Jul 12, 2016 3:55 am

I would suggest reducing the size of the font, the avatar and avatar box, it takes to much unnecessary space in small posts. Another minor thing, I miss the flags.

Nice to see the site going a few steps in the right direction on the forums, now I'm waiting to see the changes on the photos part to contribute again. Any prevision or ETA for this actualization?

Viscount724

Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:08 am

Another suggested improvement -- In long threads with more than one page of replies, the link to the subsequent pages at the bottom of the page is hard to find (the same page number link is fine at the top of the page). The one at the bottom is below the reply box and various other links. I think those page number links should be immediately below the last reply on the page. As it is now it's easy to overlook that there are more replies when you get to the bottom of the first page.

JohnKrist
Head Support

Tue Jul 12, 2016 6:41 am

trevisan26 wrote:
I would suggest reducing the size of the font, the avatar and avatar box, it takes to much unnecessary space in small posts. Another minor thing, I miss the flags.

Nice to see the site going a few steps in the right direction on the forums, now I'm waiting to see the changes on the photos part to contribute again. Any prevision or ETA for this actualization?

Regarding font size we get comments that they are too big, too small so I think they will remain the size they are right now
5D Mark III, 7D, 17-40 F4 L, 70-200 F2.8 L IS II, Canon 50mm 1.4, Sigma 50mm 1.4 ART, Sigma 105mm 1.4 ART, EF 1.4x II, EF 2x III, SPEEDLITE 600EX-RT

Dreamflight767

Tue Jul 12, 2016 6:52 am

Right direction. Thank you.

enzo011

Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:18 am

Not sure if this has been answered, any way to have links in posts open up in a new tab instead of taking you away from the page you are on? Is this a user option or not possible and we just have to get used to it?

mariner

Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:24 am

Among the several (many?) things I miss from the recent "white site" I have not seen the little "Return to Civil Aviation"(or whichever forum) button after the last post of any thread.

mariner
aeternum nauta

dendrobatid

Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:28 am

The appearance of the forum is better to me but it now seems that it is a 'stand alone', almost not a part of the main site. The links to photos, searches etc have disappeared so that instead of lots of scrolling, you have to keep going back !

JohnKrist
Head Support

Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:34 am

Mariner, a little further down just before the grey bottom section there is a forum legend where you can click site related, or even forum start.

Mick, the main site will be re-launched next and will then be more coherent again
5D Mark III, 7D, 17-40 F4 L, 70-200 F2.8 L IS II, Canon 50mm 1.4, Sigma 50mm 1.4 ART, Sigma 105mm 1.4 ART, EF 1.4x II, EF 2x III, SPEEDLITE 600EX-RT

mariner

Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:55 am

JohnKrist wrote:
Mariner, a little further down just before the grey bottom section there is a forum legend where you can click site related, or even forum start.

Yes, I had seen that, thanks. I thought it was easier when the "return" thingy came at the end of the thread.

It doesn't matter, it's no big deal, but I fear several useful babies have been thrown out with the bathwater with the return of the swamping blue. See my comment on the asterisk above. :-)

mariner
aeternum nauta

flipdewaf

Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:00 am

Quote selected text coming back or is there no tick box option for that?
How are DM coming along with the whole information density/pageification issues?

speedbored

Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:14 am

Well the new colours are certainly an improvement, although white text on blue would still be better than the current grey.

Still far too much whitespace though, IMO.

Couple of specific things - if you are looking at a list of topics in a specific forum, clicking on the icon to the left of a topic will take you to the last unread post. This doesn't appear to have been implemented when looking at other lists of topics, such as "unread posts" or "active topics", or anything else from that drop-down list. Please can it be added there too? Would also be useful, if there are no unread posts for a topic, if the same link would take you to the last reply instead.

Can we please also reinstate the drop-down list of forums to jump to? It's now two pages or a lot of scrolling to get to a specific forum - the dropdown list was far easier. Edit: forget this last request - I have just noticed the jump-to link on the RHS above the list of topics.

B8887

Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:33 am

Yes, the return of the Airliners.net Blue to the forums is welcome. I am still very cautiously optimistic that a.net can be saved.

A few comments. As Viscount 724 briefly spoke about it, the return of the old small drop down menu at the top right of the forums so you can jump quickly from forum to forum is a priority.

On the homepage and photos section the return of the A.net Blue is also a priority, plus the ability to open a large or a medium sized photo directly, which I was a heavy user of.

I think Advanced Photo Search should be the default setting, and not Basic Search.

I am not sure that the Search Function works perfectly either...

I will keep on posting more suggestions later on if I have time.

Regards.

B8887

airkas1

Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:43 am

DM wrote:
I have some suggestions though:

GREAT post! Thanks a lot for that!
I've passed on just about all of your comments. Hopefully they can tweak it like that.

airkas1

Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:54 am

trevisan26 wrote:
now I'm waiting to see the changes on the photos part to contribute again. Any prevision or ETA for this actualization?

Should be next!

airkas1

Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:57 am

flipdewaf wrote:
Quote selected text coming back or is there no tick box option for that?
How are DM coming along with the whole information density/pageification issues?

- Not sure on the Quote Selected text.
- If you mean vertical spacing, then it's on the list. We have multiple suggestions on the list on how to eliminate vertical space. They will be looked at.

airkas1

Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:59 am

speedbored wrote:
Couple of specific things - if you are looking at a list of topics in a specific forum, clicking on the icon to the left of a topic will take you to the last unread post. This doesn't appear to have been implemented when looking at other lists of topics, such as "unread posts" or "active topics", or anything else from that drop-down list. Please can it be added there too? Would also be useful, if there are no unread posts for a topic, if the same link would take you to the last reply instead.

I realized this yesterday as well and already notified the developers of this. They asked me to put it on the list (so I did), so they can look at it today, together with all other feedback that's coming in.
Last edited by airkas1 on Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

flipdewaf

Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:59 am

Thanks Airkas!

Edit: I really like the yellow banner next to the thread starter, gives good context to how the discussions develop.

Fred
Last edited by flipdewaf on Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

airkas1

Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:03 am

B8887 wrote:
As Viscount 724 briefly spoke about it, the return of the old small drop down menu at the top right of the forums so you can jump quickly from forum to forum is a priority.
On the homepage and photos section the return of the A.net Blue is also a priority, plus the ability to open a large or a medium sized photo directly, which I was a heavy user of.

- There is a small square box with an arrow in the top right corner. Clicking it will get you the dropdown menu to jump forum.
- The homepage blue will return as well. When it does, the forum and homepage headers will be unified again.

@All, the search box appears to be broken. I've alerted the developers to this and asked for it to be treated with high priority.

Bongodog1964

Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:22 am

I could scarcely believe it this morning, A net was once again back !!!! Yes there are still a few issues, but fundamentally we have got back our forum. Can the crew please answer one question, now that this has been possible, why did anyone think it was a good idea to nearly destroy A net in the process.

Amiga500

Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:23 am

Big improvement.

Well done to those involved.

airkas1

Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:25 am

Bongodog1964 wrote:
I could scarcely believe it this morning, A net was once again back !!!! Yes there are still a few issues, but fundamentally we have got back our forum. Can the crew please answer one question, now that this has been possible, why did anyone think it was a good idea to nearly destroy A net in the process.

You'll have to ask DM, the crew can't answer that.

flipdewaf

Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:34 am

So adverts were bad enough but a video playing between the opening post and the first reply, that really is taking the piss!

Fred

PeterB

Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:49 am

Congratulations on the new design and thanks a lot for bringing the blue theme back!
When will those colors be implemented to the photo database section? I am really looking forward to it!

JohnKrist
Head Support

Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:51 am

PeterB wrote:
Congratulations on the new design and thanks a lot for bringing the blue theme back!
When will those colors be implemented to the photp database section? I am really looking forward to it!

A little wiser we do not state next week or such promises, it willcome soon, where soon is a relative time frame :)

na

Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:18 am

Thanks for bringing back the blue. Much better!
Now I only miss the 747 on top so I can see this is an aviation forum;-)

EPA001

Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:55 am

na wrote:
Thanks for bringing back the blue. Much better!

Better, but also a much more familiar and quite unique look and feel which has now returned to us. A big improvements, especially since ever more issues with the new site are getting taken care off! :)

asuflyer05

Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:03 pm

New forum color scheme is much better. Easier to read and highlights the user's information nicely. Nice work!

cpd

Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:43 pm

Good improvement with the darker colour scheme, and the go to first unread post.

The fixed new version is a lot easier to use on iPhone. And the darker colour scheme is a lot easier to read.

na

Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:50 pm

In fact the forum look is better now than ever, the wasted space aspect aside.

What still doesn´t work is the remember me-button. Its also a bit annoying that when you log in you´re always relegated to the homepage and not back where you where before you logged in.

ZeeZoo

Tue Jul 12, 2016 1:24 pm

mariner wrote:
JohnKrist wrote:

Yes, I had seen that, thanks. I thought it was easier when the "return" thingy came at the end of the thread.

It doesn't matter, it's no big deal, but I fear several useful babies have been thrown out with the bathwater with the return of the swamping blue. See my comment on the asterisk above. :-)

mariner

Why do you have such a hardon for the old, formerly new, white site? It was dreadful for the overwhelming majority and now all I am seeing is sly little digs from you on this topic and on other topics too which is rather hypocritical considering your view on those who found the white site a poor show.

winstonlegthigh

Tue Jul 12, 2016 1:54 pm

Background looks much better- a welcome change!
Never has gravity been so uplifting.

ssteve

Tue Jul 12, 2016 3:08 pm

ZeeZoo wrote:
Why do you have such a hardon for the old, formerly new, white site? It was dreadful for the overwhelming majority and now all I am seeing is sly little digs from you on this topic and on other topics too which is rather hypocritical considering your view on those who found the white site a poor show.

Ooooo, the burn. Pretty soon you'll be quoting his own posts back at 'im.

Could be his monitor brightness and contrast settings are weirdly abnormal? Who knows.

JohnKrist
Head Support

Tue Jul 12, 2016 3:29 pm

ZeeZoo, maybe he, like me, like a bright world and we never feel blue? Ok ok bad one, I'll go away in shame now

toolmaven

Tue Jul 12, 2016 3:51 pm

I have supported Airliners for years now, even paying for the privilage. The newly designed website is a disaster! As a user, it's hard to sign on and even when I do, I see no advantage as many pictures have the Airliners Water Mark splashed across them. The previous format, which I could view 128 thumbnails so as to weed out photo's I didn't want to view.... gone. The Wallpaper size pictures... gone. Myself... going. I don't know what your new business plan is.... but this one is driving away a number of your core users.

JohnKrist
Head Support

Tue Jul 12, 2016 3:54 pm

toolmaven wrote:
I have supported Airliners for years now, even paying for the privilage. The newly designed website is a disaster! As a user, it's hard to sign on and even when I do, I see no advantage as many pictures have the Airliners Water Mark splashed across them. The previous format, which I could view 128 thumbnails so as to weed out photo's I didn't want to view.... gone. The Wallpaper size pictures... gone. Myself... going. I don't know what your new business plan is.... but this one is driving away a number of your core users.

You can have 84 images if you choose to
https://www.airliners.net/search/?keywor ... splay=card
Won't work as the old thumbnails only, but I'll add it to the wish list

First Class will be back, so the watermark issue will be resolved for those who wish to pay for that service.

flymia

Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:45 pm

Ah, finally a sign of improvement. Still WAY too much scrolling IMO though, much to much. But it is nice to be able to read the threads at least.

Still lots of room for improvement, its not an easy way to get information. The adds space is clearly the big winner still.
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)