Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
wingman
Posts: 4295
Joined: Thu May 27, 1999 4:25 am

Re: Airliners.net Site Upgrade Announcement & Discussion

Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:10 pm

For a very casual user/cruiser of the site just wanted to counter my prior criticism with some kudos for the vast improvement in feature/functionality over the past week. It seems like things are getting there for the basic users of A.net.
 
dendrobatid
Posts: 1647
Joined: Sat Nov 06, 2004 3:40 pm

Re: Airliners.net Site Upgrade Announcement & Discussion

Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:14 pm

Kas
You have been doing a great job keeping everyone informed and no one is blaming you but after five weeks, images displayed as they are for an AVIATION PHOTOGRAPHY website is really unacceptable. As you know, I have spent an awful lot of time on the site one way or another but I can no longer bear browsing it !
I doubt that I am alone in that.

Mick Bajcar
 
User avatar
airkas1
Posts: 7904
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2003 7:01 am

Re: Airliners.net Site Upgrade Announcement & Discussion

Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:39 pm

Hi Mick,
I know the feedback isn't directed at me personally, but I can't help feeling responsible in a way. I fully agree with you (and others) regarding the photo thumbnails and other photo issues and I can only hope to bring good news later this week/next week.
 
User avatar
kulverstukas
Posts: 1101
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:58 am

Re: Airliners.net Site Upgrade Announcement & Discussion

Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:00 pm

airkas1 wrote:
I don't know.


:(



airkas1 wrote:
- I think he posted them in the original uploaded size. So it would make sense that you can't open them further if they're posted in the full size already.


They are resized by the forum width. If you click on them they opens in the original size in the SAME tab, not in popup window or in separate window/tab. The same as with any photo on photo pages. BUT! If you advice using middle button/scroll wheel/right click to open it in separate tab, in this case it's blocked by site/forum software. :roll:


airkas1 wrote:
- Works fine for me.


Doesn't work for me in IE11 and in Firefox. After "submit" this field ( Other Info > Website > [http://][..........]) is still empty.

airkas1 wrote:
- I don't experience this / I don't get the problem.


Did you tried open any site page and resize browser window (width, height)? Or you working with the site from mobile/tablet?
 
User avatar
Spiderguy252
Posts: 1223
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:58 am

Re: Airliners.net Site Upgrade Announcement & Discussion

Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:18 pm

The site is looking less and less white, which can only be a good thing.

Still nowhere near the old one though, but better than before.
 
User avatar
airkas1
Posts: 7904
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2003 7:01 am

Re: Airliners.net Site Upgrade Announcement & Discussion

Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:29 pm

kulverstukas wrote:
- :(

- They are resized by the forum width. If you click on them they opens in the original size in the SAME tab, not in popup window or in separate window/tab. The same as with any photo on photo pages. BUT! If you advice using middle button/scroll wheel/right click to open it in separate tab, in this case it's blocked by site/forum software. :roll:

- Doesn't work for me in IE11 and in Firefox. After "submit" this field ( Other Info > Website > [http://][..........]) is still empty.

- Did you tried open any site page and resize browser window (width, height)? Or you working with the site from mobile/tablet?



1) I've added it to the list, maybe a developer understands and can reply.
2) I'll try to check it out when I'm home.
3) I've added it to the list.
4) I use the site mainly on a desktop, with browser at 100%, using IE11 (work) and Firefox (home).
 
82029
Posts: 356
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:27 am

Re: Airliners.net Site Upgrade Announcement & Discussion

Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:21 pm

It's really awesome to see the whole site back with the blue theme! Thanks to all involved in the work that has gone in to make A.net look like it does today as well as those who are continually working toward making it better. The first thing I used to do when coming to A.net before the initial change was check out the first 5 pages of the top of the last 24 hours and I almost did that today after seeing the homepage in blue but decided to come check the forums instead as I know more changes are to come, but to have gotten that feeling back was just great!

The only small suggestion I have is related to consistency in a color shade used on the new site and although there's no need to make the new site EXACTLY like the old site, there's only one small difference across the whole site in a particular shade of color that if changed would match the rest of the site!

The background blue in the forums is using a color value of:

#476a8e (<-- original A.net background blue color and currently used as the background color in the forums)

^ That color is the original background color from the old A.net and has been around for so long and that's great! It's now only the background color of the forums and not the rest of the site and If you didn't check with a color picker you'd think it was the same background color that's used on all of the pages of the site and it's not. All of the other pages of the site except for the forums are using a background color of:

#486b8d (<-- currently used background blue color which resembles the old blue very closely but isn't the same)

^ That color is so similar to the old color that if you don't check with a color dropper/picker you won't even know the difference!

So my suggestion is if the background blue color #476a8e used on the old A.net and which is currently being used as the background color for the forums could be implemented throughout the whole site instead of the current color #486b8d.

Basically going from #486b8d --> #476a8e.

You might say that it's not really important as the change is so small that you can't even tell the difference but colors can have a huge impact on you in the subtlest of ways and that's why I'm asking if this could PLEASE be changed! I was so happy browsing photos in the top of the last 24 hours ago last night around 3 a.m. with the blue background back and would just love if this absolutely minor change could be done to enhance that. Thank you!
 
User avatar
Ytraveller
Posts: 1293
Joined: Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:47 pm

Re: Airliners.net Site Upgrade Announcement & Discussion

Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:57 pm

Continuing/new issues:

* All posts say "last year"

* Top bar is different on the forum and on the homepage. While on the forum, for example, there is no drop-down to choose another subforum to go to. I instead need to click "FORUM" and then scroll down and click on which subforum I want to go to.

* Copyright bars on new image submissions have not been appearing since the site upgrade.
 
User avatar
RobK
Posts: 4113
Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2004 1:43 pm

Re: Airliners.net Site Upgrade Announcement & Discussion

Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:35 am

The quoted text colour and quote box background is an improvement over what it was a few days ago but I still think there's room for more improvement. Why does the quote box have to be such a clashy colour and contrast so much with the dark blue background? I see no reason why the quote box cannot be made a different shade of blue to blend in with the rest, but the shade be different enough to easily see that it's a quote. I'm sure on the old site the background for quoted text was the same colour as the normal background and that functioned fine without any complaints over knowing what was what.

On a different note, I'm still unable to stay logged in for more than a few hours. :(
 
User avatar
PanAm_DC10
Community Manager
Posts: 4152
Joined: Wed Aug 23, 2000 7:37 am

Re: Airliners.net Site Upgrade Announcement & Discussion

Thu Jul 21, 2016 5:08 am

Ytraveller wrote:

* Copyright bars on new image submissions have not been appearing since the site upgrade.


Hi there

Copyright banners are now being added to all new shots accepted into the database and for those images accepted after the upgrade they are also being added but it is indexing overnight SoCal time so it may not be complete until their morning. Additionally the registration and MSN have been added to thumbnails.

Thanks and regards

Paul
 
User avatar
ricox
Posts: 167
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:26 pm

Re: Airliners.net Site Upgrade Announcement & Discussion

Thu Jul 21, 2016 6:15 am

airkas1 wrote:
...3) This is on the list. Thanks for the screenshot, I'll add it to the entry.
...


WAO so fast this improvement, today Aircraft reg and SN info appears in the exact expected position... thank's a lot.
 
User avatar
olegchaplin
Posts: 23
Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:57 am

Re: Airliners.net Site Upgrade Announcement & Discussion

Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:37 am

PanAm_DC10 wrote:

Copyright banners are now being added to all new shots accepted into the database and for those images accepted after the upgrade they are also being added but it is indexing overnight SoCal time so it may not be complete until their morning.


Hi Paul,
I still have two photos accepted 18 and 20 of June without copyright banner. Accepted before and after has it.

Regards,
Oleg
 
User avatar
PanAm_DC10
Community Manager
Posts: 4152
Joined: Wed Aug 23, 2000 7:37 am

Re: Airliners.net Site Upgrade Announcement & Discussion

Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:10 am


Hi Paul,
I still have two photos accepted 18 and 20 of June without copyright banner. Accepted before and after has it.

Regards,
Oleg


Hi Oleg

They're indexing from latest first so it probably hasn't reached those dates yet, please allow it time to index and all should be fine. Thanks for your patience.

Regards

Paul
 
User avatar
kulverstukas
Posts: 1101
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:58 am

Re: Airliners.net Site Upgrade Announcement & Discussion

Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:17 am

Ytraveller wrote:
Continuing/new issues:

* All posts say "last year"

* Top bar is different on the forum and on the homepage. While on the forum, for example, there is no drop-down to choose another subforum to go to. I instead need to click "FORUM" and then scroll down and click on which subforum I want to go to.


- As now site is DIY style in most parts, you need to change time zone and time format in your forum profile to repair this.

- There is very small square with an arrow inside which really are drop down menu for forum navigation.

I.e., as Mariner used to say, new site is great, you just must teach yourself to use it and you will be happy in the end.
 
rhuns
Posts: 53
Joined: Fri Sep 26, 2003 10:02 am

Re: Airliners.net Site Upgrade Announcement & Discussion

Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:43 am

kulverstukas wrote:

- There is very small square with an arrow inside which really are drop down menu for forum navigation.


That brings up another suggestion. The "Airliners.net > Aviation Forums > Site Related" line and the square/arrow on the right side kulverstukas mentions are dark blue on blue background. If there is any reflections on the screen, it can be hard to read. Perhaps white or light great text on those fields would make it easier to see them...perhaps same as the topic title right below them.
 
User avatar
kulverstukas
Posts: 1101
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:58 am

Re: Airliners.net Site Upgrade Announcement & Discussion

Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:48 am

ricox wrote:
airkas1 wrote:
...3) This is on the list. Thanks for the screenshot, I'll add it to the entry.
...


WAO so fast this improvement, today Aircraft reg and SN info appears in the exact expected position... thank's a lot.


And now please please please add this info to the photos on the main page! Image
 
User avatar
airkas1
Posts: 7904
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2003 7:01 am

Re: Airliners.net Site Upgrade Announcement & Discussion

Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:55 am

DM wrote:
Basically going from #486b8d --> #476a8e.

No guarantees that this will happen, but I can write it down.
Is the above change (just that change) a replacement of everything you wrote earlier (regarding color setting)?


Ytraveller wrote:
* All posts say "last year"
* Top bar is different on the forum and on the homepage. While on the forum, for example, there is no drop-down to choose another subforum to go to. I instead need to click "FORUM" and then scroll down and click on which subforum I want to go to.
* Copyright bars on new image submissions have not been appearing since the site upgrade.

- It's on the list, but I'm still not sure what's causing it.
- This will be fixed once the unified header is in place (no ETA on that though).
- This is now solved.


RobK wrote:
* I see no reason why the quote box cannot be made a different shade of blue to blend in with the rest, but the shade be different enough to easily see that it's a quote.
* On a different note, I'm still unable to stay logged in for more than a few hours. :(

- This was indeed the suggestion I made in the entry to the list. So will be sorted eventually.
- Have you tried deleting your cookies? I'm staying signed in and others are reporting this as well. I'm still waiting on confirmation that this is indeed fixed though.


rhuns wrote:
That brings up another suggestion. The "Airliners.net > Aviation Forums > Site Related" line and the square/arrow on the right side kulverstukas mentions are dark blue on blue background. If there is any reflections on the screen, it can be hard to read. Perhaps white or light great text on those fields would make it easier to see them...perhaps same as the topic title right below them.

This should be fixed once the unified header is in place (no ETA on that though).


kulverstukas wrote:
And now please please please add this info to the photos on the main page!

I've suggested it to the developers.
 
User avatar
GVerbeeck
Posts: 188
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2005 4:34 am

Re: Airliners.net Site Upgrade Announcement & Discussion

Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:43 am

Haven't visited A.net often over the last couple of weeks, I must say I'm impressed with the changes over the last days. It is starting to recapture the feel of the old website in a new design. Well done. Just (still) wondering whether the statistics page is going to make it back for the photographers amongst us?

Gio
 
User avatar
airkas1
Posts: 7904
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2003 7:01 am

Re: Airliners.net Site Upgrade Announcement & Discussion

Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:19 pm

GVerbeeck wrote:
Just (still) wondering whether the statistics page is going to make it back for the photographers amongst us?

Hey Gio,
Yes it will, but I don't have an ETA on that.
 
User avatar
GVerbeeck
Posts: 188
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2005 4:34 am

Re: Airliners.net Site Upgrade Announcement & Discussion

Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:20 pm

Yes it will, but I don't have an ETA on that.


Fair enough :).
 
82029
Posts: 356
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:27 am

Re: Airliners.net Site Upgrade Announcement & Discussion

Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:47 pm

airkas1 wrote:
DM wrote:
Basically going from #486b8d --> #476a8e.

No guarantees that this will happen, but I can write it down.
Is the above change (just that change) a replacement of everything you wrote earlier (regarding color setting)?


Hi Kas, it's not a replacement but it's something new. If your referring to my reply #1550 then that was in regard to the post-box color in the forums and my reply #1757 is about the color outside the post-box, the lighter shade of blue.

Image

Image


I'm seeing the change across the site now with all pages showing a background blue color of #476a8e! That was so fast and is just awesome! Thank you so much!

Also when browsing photos in the database it seems that the appearance of the photos in the box seem to have a nearly identical appearance to the suggestion I made which to me is just fantastic! It might just be that that's how they wanted it to look but if they did reference my edit of how I thought it should look then that's amazing!

Kas you've been really helpful and committed to noting everyone's suggestions down in the forums totally on your own time, thank you!
 
User avatar
mariner
Posts: 19473
Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2001 7:29 am

Re: Airliners.net Site Upgrade Announcement & Discussion

Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:13 pm

The log-in function - or staying logged in - has me a bit discombobulated.

When the white site first appeared I had problems with it for two or three days and then it settled down - I stayed logged-in most (not all) of the time for each day. Since the site went back to blue, something odd has happened.

I get up each morning (NZ time) and over a couple of cups of coffee I visit the world news through the internet and, of course, a.net. I stay logged-in for some hours, no matter where else I go, or how often.

Then about lunch time (every day) it gets neurotic, and logs me out even if I only go to one other website. It stays neurotic for the rest of the day, constantly requiring log-in, until the next morning, when lo - I stayed logged in for a few hours and then the pattern repeats.

Weird. Or - is it me?

mariner
 
User avatar
JohnKrist
Head Support
Posts: 1982
Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2005 11:54 pm

Re: Airliners.net Site Upgrade Announcement & Discussion

Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:57 pm

Mariner, it may be that devs are pushing out small updates,mand that kicks you out, or the logins are still shaky. Maybe a combo of both. One of the main issues is that it simultaneously logs you in to both airliners and the phpbb forum, and I suspect there is a glitch there somewhere.
 
User avatar
RobK
Posts: 4113
Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2004 1:43 pm

Re: Airliners.net Site Upgrade Announcement & Discussion

Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:11 pm

Strangely, for a change, I've remained logged in all today, which hasn't happened for quite a long time. I doubt it will last though.
 
User avatar
mariner
Posts: 19473
Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2001 7:29 am

Re: Airliners.net Site Upgrade Announcement & Discussion

Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:14 am

JohnKrist wrote:
Mariner, it may be that devs are pushing out small updates,mand that kicks you out, or the logins are still shaky. Maybe a combo of both. One of the main issues is that it simultaneously logs you in to both airliners and the phpbb forum, and I suspect there is a glitch there somewhere.


That's all fine and dandy, John, and what you say may be right, but it is discombobulating, if not plain frustrating sometimes. LOL And part of that is frustration with myself, because having to click three times instead of one isn't exactly hard work.

BUT - aside from any complaints the photographers have, it seem to me that the two biggest issues about the changes have been (a) the "blue" and (b) the log-in issue. The first has been fixed, but the second - the log-in - seems to languish.

Still - as always - I live in hope. :-)

mariner
 
rhuns
Posts: 53
Joined: Fri Sep 26, 2003 10:02 am

Re: Airliners.net Site Upgrade Announcement & Discussion

Fri Jul 22, 2016 1:57 am

May be covered by the basic logging out issue, but if I right-click on a link in the forum and "open in new tab" I remain logged in when I click on the forum tab again. If I forget to do that and just click on the link and it's opened in the same tab (Chrome), when l go back I am logged out. Learning to live with, but sometimes forget to right click!

I'm sure that is not news to anyone, but just bringing it up to be sure it is noted. Thanks!
 
User avatar
JohnKrist
Head Support
Posts: 1982
Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2005 11:54 pm

Re: Airliners.net Site Upgrade Announcement & Discussion

Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:30 am

Rhuns, that sounds strange, shouldn't matter at all. The login bug is annoying for us all
 
User avatar
airkas1
Posts: 7904
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2003 7:01 am

Re: Airliners.net Site Upgrade Announcement & Discussion

Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:38 am

ricox wrote:
Hi all,
we noticed that sometimes, for me especially in photo corner, whet I click on an uploaded photo to enlarge it, I got a 1920 x ... zoom despite original image was 1200 x or 1280 ...
ususlly when it occours, you have in the address bar a filename end with http:// .....12.jpg example:

https://imgproc.airliners.net/photos/airliners/7/8/1/3902187-v24ac5def793-12.jpg

horrible!!
airkas (thanks a lot for your work) suggest me to rename the file in http:// .....11.jpg example:

https://imgproc.airliners.net/photos/airliners/7/8/1/3902187-v24ac5def793-11.jpg

ok size decrease but, pic is very low quality respect original uploaded..

is this a bug?
what file screeners view during screening process?
sometimes I got rej for defect that I could not find in original file but I find in uploded file ?!?
Thank's bye


I don't know what's causing this, but during screening we see the original uploaded file.
The only thing I can imagine is that the rejected file gets corrupted somehow, but that's pure speculation. I will investigate.
 
User avatar
airkas1
Posts: 7904
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2003 7:01 am

Re: Airliners.net Site Upgrade Announcement & Discussion

Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:02 am

DM wrote:
I'm seeing the change across the site now with all pages showing a background blue color of #476a8e! That was so fast and is just awesome! Thank you so much!

One of the developers mentioned reading through the threads, so I'm sure he fixed this minor thing. So all the colors are now solved, correct? Then I can tick off all items on the list regarding this :)
 
82029
Posts: 356
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:27 am

Re: Airliners.net Site Upgrade Announcement & Discussion

Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:19 am

airkas1 wrote:
DM wrote:
I'm seeing the change across the site now with all pages showing a background blue color of #476a8e! That was so fast and is just awesome! Thank you so much!

One of the developers mentioned reading through the threads, so I'm sure he fixed this minor thing. So all the colors are now solved, correct? Then I can tick off all items on the list regarding this :)


Yes, all the colors are solved! :D
 
User avatar
kulverstukas
Posts: 1101
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:58 am

Re: Airliners.net Site Upgrade Announcement & Discussion

Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:34 am

airkas1 wrote:
I don't know what's causing this, but during screening we see the original uploaded file.
The only thing I can imagine is that the rejected file gets corrupted somehow, but that's pure speculation. I will investigate.


How can you be so confident of what you see? I think that you look at them through browser, not receive them as uploaded files which you can open in PS? Because I can tell you that at old A.net files saved from screen were compressed, something like from 1M to 600k, immediately after site change this compression became really terrible - like 600k into 200k, then saved from the screen photos became PNG instead of JPG (right after photo pages get "fixed" first time), and right now saved from the screen photos are significantly more that uploaded files - 1500x1000px photo disk size growth from 700k uploaded to 1,1M saved from the screen.

BTW, if you can access rejected photos through your backend, it will be quite interesting to compare saved file size for original, photo "in screening" showed through photographer corner, photo showed through screener tool and photo showed in photographer corner after rejection.

UPD: I think that probably screeners see photo in exactly same condition as it will be displayed at public photo page unresized. It's quite fair because it's what visitors will see and if the site screw up uploaded image, it must be rejected for quality, banding and compression.
Last edited by kulverstukas on Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
 
User avatar
MMCelik
Posts: 8
Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2010 7:34 am

Re: Airliners.net Site Upgrade Announcement & Discussion

Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:49 am

The site is back. I thank those who contributed but there are still some shortcomings and problems. For example, (if mentioned I'm sorry) we load each photo we need to adjust the watermark options. This is can be solved like "ALWAYS DISPLAY LARGE PHOTOS" option on our profile (SETTINGS) page. It looks complicated to upload photos. It can be more simple. And as mentioned, statistics page important for most of us. Also, the view numbers, not as 25.8K; can be written as 25.818. Need not be as other sites.

Thanks all
 
User avatar
airkas1
Posts: 7904
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2003 7:01 am

Re: Airliners.net Site Upgrade Announcement & Discussion

Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:06 am

MMCelik wrote:
For example, (if mentioned I'm sorry) we load each photo we need to adjust the watermark options. This is can be solved like "ALWAYS DISPLAY LARGE PHOTOS" option on our profile (SETTINGS) page.

I'm not sure what you mean.


MMCelik wrote:
It looks complicated to upload photos. It can be more simple.

I disagree. I think it looks fairly simple to use.
Once some other small things are fixed, we will create a video tutorial on how to upload photos, which should go a long way towards understanding the process.


MMCelik wrote:
And as mentioned, statistics page important for most of us.

This is on the list.


MMCelik wrote:
Also, the view numbers, not as 25.8K; can be written as 25.818.

This is on the list.
 
User avatar
airkas1
Posts: 7904
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2003 7:01 am

Re: Airliners.net Site Upgrade Announcement & Discussion

Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:07 am

kulverstukas wrote:
How can you be so confident of what you see? I think that you look at them through browser, not receive them as uploaded files which you can open in PS? Because I can tell you that at old A.net files saved from screen were compressed, something like from 1M to 600k, immediately after site change this compression became really terrible - like 600k into 200k, then saved from the screen photos became PNG instead of JPG (right after photo pages get "fixed" first time), and right now saved from the screen photos are significantly more that uploaded files - 1500x1000px photo disk size growth from 700k uploaded to 1,1M saved from the screen.

BTW, if you can access rejected photos through your backend, it will be quite interesting to compare saved file size for original, photo "in screening" showed through photographer corner, photo showed through screener tool and photo showed in photographer corner after rejection.

UPD: I think that probably screeners see photo in exactly same condition as it will be displayed at public photo page unresized. It's quite fair because it's what visitors will see and if the site screw up uploaded image, it must be rejected for quality, banding and compression.

As I said, I will investigate.
 
User avatar
kulverstukas
Posts: 1101
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:58 am

Re: Airliners.net Site Upgrade Announcement & Discussion

Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:14 am

airkas1 wrote:
As I said, I will investigate.


LOL, I saw your reply when it was worded totally different ;)

Also I can see that more photographers discovered that photographers corner is screwed up and get frustrated, so it's not only me been annoying and ungrateful about it:

DL747 wrote:
Why on earth are the rejected images compressed so that you cannot obtain feedback from other members on where you went awry?

John
 
User avatar
scbriml
Posts: 20742
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2003 10:37 pm

Re: Airliners.net Site Upgrade Announcement & Discussion

Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:25 am

airkas1 wrote:
MMCelik wrote:
For example, (if mentioned I'm sorry) we load each photo we need to adjust the watermark options. This is can be solved like "ALWAYS DISPLAY LARGE PHOTOS" option on our profile (SETTINGS) page.

I'm not sure what you mean.


He's asking for the upload page to 'remember' the photographer's watermark options and for an additional checkbox which, if selected, applies those watermark options to every uploaded image. Even if the photographer doesn't want to apply a watermark to every image, just some, it would be nice to have the watermark options remembered.
 
User avatar
airkas1
Posts: 7904
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2003 7:01 am

Re: Airliners.net Site Upgrade Announcement & Discussion

Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:15 am

kulverstukas wrote:
LOL, I saw your reply when it was worded totally different ;)

That was a bit of frustration regarding the situation and it would've been unfair to air that towards you. That's why I edited my post. But I'm following up on this.
I'll add your other quote to the entry.
 
User avatar
airkas1
Posts: 7904
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2003 7:01 am

Re: Airliners.net Site Upgrade Announcement & Discussion

Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:15 am

scbriml wrote:
airkas1 wrote:
MMCelik wrote:
For example, (if mentioned I'm sorry) we load each photo we need to adjust the watermark options. This is can be solved like "ALWAYS DISPLAY LARGE PHOTOS" option on our profile (SETTINGS) page.

I'm not sure what you mean.


He's asking for the upload page to 'remember' the photographer's watermark options and for an additional checkbox which, if selected, applies those watermark options to every uploaded image. Even if the photographer doesn't want to apply a watermark to every image, just some, it would be nice to have the watermark options remembered.

That's what I thought, thanks!
I'll see if this can be made an option in the future.
 
User avatar
MMCelik
Posts: 8
Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2010 7:34 am

Re: Airliners.net Site Upgrade Announcement & Discussion

Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:53 am

airkas1 wrote:
scbriml wrote:
airkas1 wrote:
I'm not sure what you mean.


He's asking for the upload page to 'remember' the photographer's watermark options and for an additional checkbox which, if selected, applies those watermark options to every uploaded image. Even if the photographer doesn't want to apply a watermark to every image, just some, it would be nice to have the watermark options remembered.

That's what I thought, thanks!
I'll see if this can be made an option in the future.


I mean... When we upload every photo, we have to adjust the watermark options. This is causes a loss of time and can be avoided with a few settings.
 
User avatar
kulverstukas
Posts: 1101
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:58 am

Re: Airliners.net Site Upgrade Announcement & Discussion

Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:05 pm

MMCelik wrote:

I mean... When we upload every photo, we have to adjust the watermark options. This is causes a loss of time and can be avoided with a few settings.


Different aviation sites use different technics to make upload process less painful.

- Couple of which I use remembers anything that was filled last upload - place, plane, date, watermark place etc. Useful but sometimes leads to wrong data not removed.
- Couple remembers only place and date
- One have options "upload with all fields filled from previous upload", "upload with all date and place filled from previous upload", "upload with only date filled from previous upload"
- One takes date from EXIF

Just my two cents for possible improvement of upload experience...
 
User avatar
airkas1
Posts: 7904
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2003 7:01 am

Re: Airliners.net Site Upgrade Announcement & Discussion

Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:12 pm

MMCelik wrote:
I mean... When we upload every photo, we have to adjust the watermark options. This is causes a loss of time and can be avoided with a few settings.

5 seconds work at max... On the old site it was never a problem either. Anyway, it's on the list and should be solvable.
 
User avatar
RobK
Posts: 4113
Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2004 1:43 pm

Re: Airliners.net Site Upgrade Announcement & Discussion

Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:29 pm

airkas1 wrote:
DM wrote:
I'm seeing the change across the site now with all pages showing a background blue color of #476a8e! That was so fast and is just awesome! Thank you so much!

One of the developers mentioned reading through the threads, so I'm sure he fixed this minor thing. So all the colors are now solved, correct? Then I can tick off all items on the list regarding this :)


Hmm, maybe not so fast. I still think there's room for improvement with the quoted text boxes. The random grey seems to be an odds with the colour scheme for the rest of the site and looks out of place. Some shade(s) of blue would surely be better and more appropriate?

I've also noticed that the banner which appears at the bottom of a post that's been edited looks stupid too. Why so large and in bright yellow? What was wrong with the smaller same colour font that was used on the old site to show that a post had been edited?
 
User avatar
MMCelik
Posts: 8
Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2010 7:34 am

Re: Airliners.net Site Upgrade Announcement & Discussion

Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:56 pm

airkas1 wrote:
MMCelik wrote:
I mean... When we upload every photo, we have to adjust the watermark options. This is causes a loss of time and can be avoided with a few settings.

5 seconds work at max... On the old site it was never a problem either. Anyway, it's on the list and should be solvable.


Dear airkas1, it was not detailed in the old site. And it was so simple. While there are 2 options on the old site, the new site has 4 options. And also there are sub-options of the this 4 options. And finally; please do not misunderstand me but 40 photos X 5 second = 3 minutes 20 seconds.

Greetings and best regards
 
User avatar
airkas1
Posts: 7904
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2003 7:01 am

Re: Airliners.net Site Upgrade Announcement & Discussion

Fri Jul 22, 2016 1:25 pm

RobK wrote:
Hmm, maybe not so fast. I still think there's room for improvement with the quoted text boxes. The random grey seems to be an odds with the colour scheme for the rest of the site and looks out of place. Some shade(s) of blue would surely be better and more appropriate?

I've also noticed that the banner which appears at the bottom of a post that's been edited looks stupid too. Why so large and in bright yellow? What was wrong with the smaller same colour font that was used on the old site to show that a post had been edited?


Both those issues are still on the list, but I ticked off the things that user DM has previously mentioned regarding the forum colors. Sorry for the misunderstanding.
 
User avatar
kulverstukas
Posts: 1101
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:58 am

Re: Airliners.net Site Upgrade Announcement & Discussion

Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:06 pm

Bug? I can't upload second photo of a/c which is not in DB. If I choose "new model" check box and write it manually (the same as at first upload) it gives error msg: This value is already used.
 
kaitak
Posts: 10156
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 1999 5:49 am

Re: Airliners.net Site Upgrade Announcement & Discussion

Sat Jul 23, 2016 3:50 am

Before the move to the "New" Airliners.net, I was on about 13,000 posts (can't remember the exact number), but now I'm on about 8,933. Some 3k posts lost?!
 
User avatar
airkas1
Posts: 7904
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2003 7:01 am

Re: Airliners.net Site Upgrade Announcement & Discussion

Sat Jul 23, 2016 5:28 am

kulverstukas wrote:
Bug? I can't upload second photo of a/c which is not in DB. If I choose "new model" check box and write it manually (the same as at first upload) it gives error msg: This value is already used.

What's the registration and correct aircraft type? I'll give it a try.


kaitak wrote:
Before the move to the "New" Airliners.net, I was on about 13,000 posts (can't remember the exact number), but now I'm on about 8,933. Some 3k posts lost?!

I've passed this on.
 
User avatar
airkas1
Posts: 7904
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2003 7:01 am

Re: Airliners.net Site Upgrade Announcement & Discussion

Sat Jul 23, 2016 5:50 am

@All,

Probably over the course of next week, we will test a different layout for the Top-5 images. It will involve using smaller thumbnails and disabling the carousel (slideshow). I personally interpret this as being similar to what we had on the old site, although I haven't seen yet what it will look like. This test will most likely be live for a dew days. We would like your feedback on it (improvement/not an improvement) when it's live.
 
User avatar
mariner
Posts: 19473
Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2001 7:29 am

Re: Airliners.net Site Upgrade Announcement & Discussion

Sat Jul 23, 2016 6:45 am

Something weird has just happened. I made a post (#9) ing this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1338465

And then edited it for a spelling error. The edit appeared, with some strangely coloured text as a new post - #10.

No worries, I was told we can now delete posts ourselves on this site, so I hit delete, the message came up :"Are you sure., etc..." and I gave the reason - it was now a double post.

But after I hit "yes" a message came up saying: "You cannot delete posts in this forum." So what is the point of the delete button?

And now the whole thread has disappeared - or I can't find it - and both posts, #9 and #10, from the link to it in this post. Image

mariner
 
User avatar
Spiderguy252
Posts: 1223
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:58 am

Re: Airliners.net Site Upgrade Announcement & Discussion

Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:27 am

Couple more suggestions:

1. Like in the old site, can we remove pagination? Why not just have one long page which can be extended at will using a 'Show more' button?

2. I have to click the 'Forum' button above to access all the sub-forms: Civil-Av, Non-Av, Site-Related, etc. Surely this should be more intuitive?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos