Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
User avatar
JohnKrist
Head Support
Posts: 1982
Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2005 11:54 pm

Re: Airliners.net Site Upgrade Announcement & Discussion

Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:43 am

Spiderguy252 wrote:
Couple more suggestions:

1. Like in the old site, can we remove pagination? Why not just have one long page which can be extended at will using a 'Show more' button?

2. I have to click the 'Forum' button above to access all the sub-forms: Civil-Av, Non-Av, Site-Related, etc. Surely this should be more intuitive?


1 Doubt it can be done in phpbb, and frankly I have only seen it in the old anet forum.

2 The top bar navigation that included a forum drop down will be back on forum pages. Meanwhile there is an icon top right that does just that, and you can also click the forum legend links at the top and bottom Airliners.net->Aviation Forum->Site Related as an example
 
User avatar
kulverstukas
Posts: 1101
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:58 am

Re: Airliners.net Site Upgrade Announcement & Discussion

Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:27 am

airkas1 wrote:
kulverstukas wrote:
Bug? I can't upload second photo of a/c which is not in DB. If I choose "new model" check box and write it manually (the same as at first upload) it gives error msg: This value is already used.

What's the registration and correct aircraft type? I'll give it a try.


It's Mil Mi-28NM - new subtype of Mi-28. First one I managed to upload as NM model, but second photo now sits in queue as simple Mi-28. Unfortunately it has no reg but c/n is OP-1.
 
User avatar
airkas1
Posts: 7904
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2003 7:01 am

Re: Airliners.net Site Upgrade Announcement & Discussion

Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:54 am

kulverstukas wrote:
It's Mil Mi-28NM - new subtype of Mi-28. First one I managed to upload as NM model, but second photo now sits in queue as simple Mi-28. Unfortunately it has no reg but c/n is OP-1.

Hm, I can find the type just fine doing a manual upload, but the airline field was a bit buggy for me.
 
User avatar
kulverstukas
Posts: 1101
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:58 am

Re: Airliners.net Site Upgrade Announcement & Discussion

Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:29 am

airkas1 wrote:
Hm, I can find the type just fine doing a manual upload, but the airline field was a bit buggy for me


Airline field doesn't works for me at all yesterday at IE11. I switched to Firefox to upload. As for new subtype, try to upload one a/c which is new subtype, first one will go in OK. Then try to upload second photo (for me it's from other side). If you use "new subtype" checkbox and put in exactly same string as in shoot already in queue, site ban's it with error message. I can see a logic about it (it's not "new" because there is one shoot of this subtype on the site already), but in same time you can not choose it from dropdown because photo was not through screening and new subtype doesn't added to DB.

airkas1 wrote:
Update 23/07 05:35 UTC:
Remark: Is this true? --> "Even if one changes watermark on the photo, watermark on the thumbnail will remain one which was put on at the first upload."
Reply: Nope, images can be rewatermarked - unless they were uploaded with photographer implemented watermarks (NOTE: which is not allowed).


My bad, they are rewatermarked, this process just takes about half a day.

airkas1 wrote:
Remark: Website in profile doesn't work for this user: "Doesn't work for me in IE11 and in Firefox. After "submit" this field ( Other Info > Website > [http://][..........]) is still empty.
Reply: Pages get cached and may take some time to show non cached version - the change is atomic and can't fail to create a proper link.


No, it's still doesn't work for me at "settings" page, also hover over link shows "http:///" address at "my profile" page.


airkas1 wrote:
Remark: "Can you clarify? I.e. direct image linking and embedding will now be impossible?
Also I checked and see that links to old pages (like "https://www.airliners.net/photo/Russia---Air/Tupolev-Tu-95MS/2796962/L/") which stop working after 15/06, then was operating again now are dead (if it's what "(links work correctly in example)" is reffered to). What if I embed image like this"http://cdn-www.airliners.net/photos/airliners/5/2/8/3866825.jpg?v=v28a9d4ad2dd" and link to "https://www.airliners.net/photo/Kamov-Helicopters/Kamov-Ka-27PL/3866825" page? Will it work?
PS: I checked and seems it shows photo but only in it's original size, i.e. property link for medium size photo is the same (resizing is done in page code, probably with "width" html tag). Now what developer means by "Hot Linking directly to the image wont work "?"
Reply: Image linking will work fine - old image link pattern was not retained. Find any desired image and view source of the page and/or open the image destination https://imgproc.airliners.net/photos/air ... aea-16.jpg. Note cdn-www.airliners.net is no longer the correct location - Yes the provided example will work.


I get lost. It was definitely promised that old links patterns, both for page links and image embed links, will be taken care of. You even put it in issues FAQ and asks for examples. From above I can suggest that this promise is dismissed, this entry in issues FAQ is removed and any old link which is dead will be dead, i.e. photographers pages which used embedded photos and links to respective pages from now on are dead too or must be reedited manually photo by photo, right?
Last edited by kulverstukas on Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
 
User avatar
airkas1
Posts: 7904
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2003 7:01 am

Re: Airliners.net Site Upgrade Announcement & Discussion

Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:51 am

kulverstukas wrote:
airkas1 wrote:
Hm, I can find the type just fine doing a manual upload, but the airline field was a bit buggy for me.


Airline field doesn't works for me at all yesterday at IE11. I switched to Firefox to upload. As for new subtype, try to upload one a/c which is new subtype, first one will go in OK. Then try to upload second photo (for me it's from other side). If you use "new subtype" checkbox and put in exactly same string as in shoot already in queue, site ban's it with error message. I can see a logic about it (it's not "new" because there is one shoot of this subtype on the site already), but in same time you can not choose it from dropdown because photo was not through screening and new subtype doesn't added to DB.

I could select the correct type in the dropdow menu though.
Try this: tick the "no" box of "Aircraft Manufacturer Filter Enabled?" and select the generic type and version.
 
User avatar
kulverstukas
Posts: 1101
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:58 am

Re: Airliners.net Site Upgrade Announcement & Discussion

Sat Jul 23, 2016 11:03 am

airkas1 wrote:
Try this: tick the "no" box of "Aircraft Manufacturer Filter Enabled?" and select the generic type and version.


Hmmm... This way it works, thank you. If just a bit non intuitive. :shock:
 
User avatar
airkas1
Posts: 7904
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2003 7:01 am

Re: Airliners.net Site Upgrade Announcement & Discussion

Sat Jul 23, 2016 11:33 am

kulverstukas wrote:
Hmmm... This way it works, thank you. If just a bit non intuitive. :shock:

Yeah I know it's not an obvious solution. I'm still not sure what that box actually does, but whenever the form doesn't accept my input, that workaround usualy fixes my problem.
 
User avatar
kulverstukas
Posts: 1101
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:58 am

Re: Airliners.net Site Upgrade Announcement & Discussion

Sat Jul 23, 2016 11:54 am

airkas1 wrote:
Yeah I know it's not an obvious solution. I'm still not sure what that box actually does, but whenever the form doesn't accept my input, that workaround usualy fixes my problem.


There is another side of this workaround - it's good way to spam DB with infinite entries of the same things but in different versions. As an example of it, place where I shoot copter in question can't be resolved through autofill (no match for ICAO code) but has multiple (about half a dozen) entries in DB ranged from "Moscow - Lubertsy" to "Lubertsy - Panki (HE2S)". I refer to JP experience again, but they don't allow you to input new info in DB by yourself. You fill "DB correction form" which is at upload page instead of A.net "new subtype" or "new location" checkboxes and in 24h you get it accepted (or rejected with reason) and can choose from list at upload (or upload correction).
 
umkay
Posts: 16
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:30 pm

Re: Airliners.net Site Upgrade Announcement & Discussion

Sun Jul 24, 2016 12:10 am

A lot of these improvements look a lot better than the original change! Is it possible to get the 'Right now in the forums' section to be back in the middle of the page? It's the first thing I look at when I come to a.net and it's odd having it off to one side. No big deal if not possible though!

Thanks!
 
User avatar
Moose135
Posts: 3280
Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2004 11:27 pm

Re: Airliners.net Site Upgrade Announcement & Discussion

Sun Jul 24, 2016 5:55 am

Spiderguy252 wrote:
1. Like in the old site, can we remove pagination? Why not just have one long page which can be extended at will using a 'Show more' button?

That's great, until you get past a couple hundred replies, and the Admins open a second, or third, etc. thread, and before you know it you end up with Part 27, all separate threads, so you can't find anything.
 
User avatar
RobK
Posts: 4113
Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2004 1:43 pm

Re: Airliners.net Site Upgrade Announcement & Discussion

Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:21 am

Moose135 wrote:
Spiderguy252 wrote:
1. Like in the old site, can we remove pagination? Why not just have one long page which can be extended at will using a 'Show more' button?

That's great, until you get past a couple hundred replies, and the Admins open a second, or third, etc. thread, and before you know it you end up with Part 27, all separate threads, so you can't find anything.


There's no need for that to happen anymore with phpBB. In fact there was no need for it to happen on the old forum either. It only came about because those members using potatoes that knew how to shout the loudest managed to convince the mods to close every thread after 200 posts and open a new one.
 
User avatar
airkas1
Posts: 7904
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2003 7:01 am

Re: Airliners.net Site Upgrade Announcement & Discussion

Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:01 am

kulverstukas wrote:
but they don't allow you to input new info in DB by yourself. You fill "DB correction form" which is at upload page instead of A.net "new subtype" or "new location" checkboxes and in 24h you get it accepted (or rejected with reason) and can choose from list at upload (or upload correction).

The editors will check any entries that have used the 'new entry' box, to make sure the DB is kept tidy.

umkay wrote:
Is it possible to get the 'Right now in the forums' section to be back in the middle of the page?

I think there will be changes regarding the home page in the near future, but I'm not sure if any of those boxes will change.
 
User avatar
kulverstukas
Posts: 1101
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:58 am

Re: Airliners.net Site Upgrade Announcement & Discussion

Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:16 am

airkas1 wrote:
The editors will check any entries that have used the 'new entry' box, to make sure the DB is kept tidy.


Hope they will, but now it's not unusual to have double, triple and more (as I said, up to half a dozen) entries of different names of same places, airlines, etc. I know that A.net doesn't picture itself as aviation DB but for "best aviation site in the world" such poorly managed DB is a shame. It's nothing to do with "new" A.net, through, this was the same at the old site as well, if partially reduced by ability to check photos of all planes filtered by selection.
 
eugegall
Posts: 64
Joined: Sun Dec 27, 2009 9:13 pm

Re: Airliners.net Site Upgrade Announcement & Discussion

Sun Jul 24, 2016 11:37 am

Black see though banner randomly appears and disappears when scrolling up and down on my Mac using Safari.

Image
 
User avatar
RobK
Posts: 4113
Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2004 1:43 pm

Re: Airliners.net Site Upgrade Announcement & Discussion

Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:21 pm

Same for me on W8.1, eugegall.
 
User avatar
XAM2175
Posts: 1156
Joined: Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:25 pm

Re: Airliners.net Site Upgrade Announcement & Discussion

Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:48 am

I have a suspicion that's where an ad would be if it wasn't being blocked...
 
User avatar
Kaphias
Posts: 722
Joined: Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:29 am

Re: Airliners.net Site Upgrade Announcement & Discussion

Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:55 pm

XAM2175 wrote:
I have a suspicion that's where an ad would be if it wasn't being blocked...

I thought the same, but I paused AdBlock and it still appears.
 
User avatar
3rdGen
Posts: 439
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:19 pm

Re: Airliners.net Site Upgrade Announcement & Discussion

Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:04 pm

Firstly, guys great job on the changes from the first version of this new layout. It is looking much much much better. And I am sure that as you continue to implement the suggestions from the users this site will slowly surpass the old website in functionality and usability (iA). I am already starting to feel more at home.

That being said there are still two issues which are bugging me, I am certain that these issues have been brought up before but I just want to reiterate them, because I want to be SURE that the website admin have it on their list of fixes (sorry to bug you guys, but its just that we want this site to be great, we criticize because we love not hate). So the two things are:

1. Jumping back to the home page after signing in from a forum page in order to post. Really annoying especially when you've had to navigate a fair bit to get to the thread
2. Format of the details section of a photo. Its too long and cumbersome, the old style was much better, short and concise. Perhaps having a short description with an option to "see more details"

Thanks again, all the best
 
User avatar
trevisan26
Posts: 440
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:31 am

Re: Airliners.net Site Upgrade Announcement & Discussion

Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:33 pm

First, thanks Kas for all the work you've been doing.

airkas1 wrote:
trevisan26 wrote:
A few things:

1) No offense, but I don't think this will change.
2) Yep, this is a known issue and on the list.
3) I'll suggest it.


1) Quoting you from the FAQ thread, nice surprise!
airkas1 wrote:
- Probably over the course of next week, we will test a different layout for the Top-5 images. It will involve using smaller thumbnails and disabling the carousel (slideshow). I interpret this as being similar to what we had on the old site. This will most likely be live for a dew days. We would like your feedback on it (improvement/not an improvement) when it's live.

Thats excellent!

2) Seems fixed.
3) No news on this one? It will make the site looks more compact like almost everyones want. 4 in width would already be a great improvement.

Thiago Trevisan
 
User avatar
DocLightning
Posts: 22305
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2005 8:51 am

Re: Airliners.net Site Upgrade Announcement & Discussion

Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:08 am

You fixed the colors and login. Well done. Except I'm still getting logged out. Maybe once every 24-48 hours, so tolerable, but annoying.
 
User avatar
airkas1
Posts: 7904
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2003 7:01 am

Re: Airliners.net Site Upgrade Announcement & Discussion

Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:13 am

The login issue actually isn't officially fixed yet. That's why some users still experience this. In the last weeks, there have been updates regarding other things, which happened to fix the login issues for a number of users. I'll try to see if an official fix can be made soon.
 
User avatar
PITingres
Posts: 1397
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2007 1:59 am

Re: Airliners.net Site Upgrade Announcement & Discussion

Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:25 pm

airkas1 wrote:
The login issue actually isn't officially fixed yet.


It's not fixed at all from where I stand, official or not. (I can't stay logged in, not even for a couple hours.) I'm glad to hear that it's still on the to-be-fixed list.
 
WIederling
Posts: 10041
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2015 2:15 pm

Re: Airliners.net Site Upgrade Announcement & Discussion

Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:33 am

There is an error in the time interval computation for "posted nn time units ago".
A fresh post shows up as 2 hours old which imu indicates that
"posting time" is user local time ( here MES ) and website "now" is UTC.
 
User avatar
olegchaplin
Posts: 23
Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:57 am

Re: Airliners.net Site Upgrade Announcement & Discussion

Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:48 pm

Why site shows wrong number of accepted photos? I have 2,579 total.
Photo 2,579 of 2,583 by photographer Oleg Chaplin
 
ScotsClan14
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:03 pm

Re: Airliners.net Site Upgrade Announcement & Discussion

Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:23 pm

The search engine absolutely sucks when compared to the old site. Just gawd awful. What genius came up with this "improvement"? Have resorted to Google images if I want to look for a particular aircraft.
 
User avatar
airkas1
Posts: 7904
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2003 7:01 am

Re: Airliners.net Site Upgrade Announcement & Discussion

Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:49 pm

olegchaplin wrote:
Why site shows wrong number of accepted photos?

Is on the list and will be looked into.


ScotsClan14 wrote:
The search engine absolutely sucks when compared to the old site. Just gawd awful. What genius came up with this "improvement"? Have resorted to Google images if I want to look for a particular aircraft.

Photos --> Search --> Advanced.
 
User avatar
cougar15
Posts: 1462
Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:10 pm

Re: Airliners.net Site Upgrade Announcement & Discussion

Thu Jul 28, 2016 1:57 pm

Firstly a big thanks to the whole volunteer Team. I only followed this thread sporadically and the shit storm the Crew encountered was a bit very over the top. Thanks for hanging in there guys (Especially John & Kas) . My big thing was the privacy issue (user details & names viewable) as this made it dicey for those of us in the industry to say what we think for obvious reasons. Glad that was fixed, although that really never should have happened! All the rest I am prepared to hang in there with as I see you are trying and succeding in fixing things. First class membership returning at some stage is good news, as I enjoyed the bennefits & gladly payed for those!

One question if I may - and I am sure it has been mentioned before, but I may have missed it in the umpteen posts & threads. Is there again such a function as ´my starred topics´ in the forums and if so, would one of you please run it by this old computer illiterate gentleman again? many thanks!
 
frmrCapCadet
Posts: 5366
Joined: Thu May 29, 2008 8:24 pm

Re: Airliners.net Site Upgrade Announcement & Discussion

Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:05 pm

Even the first iteration was mostly OK by me, and my only ongoing complaint is having to log in almost every time I come to the site. Before it would be every week or two.

Things that are better, in fact a lot better:
It is much easier to write and edit before posting

I had not looked at all that many photographs before, and now it is easy and really enjoy it

After corrections, go to first unread or last post is easier than ever before
 
User avatar
WALmsp
Posts: 315
Joined: Sat Sep 04, 2010 4:39 pm

Re: Airliners.net Site Upgrade Announcement & Discussion

Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:00 pm

Without having looked through the previous 37 pages of replies, is anyone else having trouble staying logged in? It seems like every time I visit the website, I need to reenter information, even if I click on the "remember me" box.
 
User avatar
foxbatavia503
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2005 3:11 am

Re: Airliners.net Site Upgrade Announcement & Discussion

Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:31 pm

It would be nice if when displaying small pictures of the aircraft's name was "Version" instead of "Basic Type".
 
User avatar
yari
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:15 pm

Re: Airliners.net Site Upgrade Announcement & Discussion

Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:11 am

And if anyone wants to read my opinion on this new site, here is:
Is something wrong with it, when 150 views can bring the picture on a fifth place... or 500 to be the top picture. Loosing viewers and authors every day. What used to be average 250-300 clicks on new releases, now is 40-50... Me personally, I was on the Airliners.net 2-3 times a day, now I am loosing my appetite to upload or watch the new releases. It used to be such a nice WEB magazine... Yari.
 
blrsea
Posts: 1950
Joined: Fri May 20, 2005 2:22 am

Re: Airliners.net Site Upgrade Announcement & Discussion

Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:40 am

Is it possible to add a "Like" button to the posts, at least to ones in Trip reports? Many times, I enjoy the trip report, but don't have anything much to add. A "Like" button would be good. I have seen it in couple of other forums
 
flynlr
Posts: 215
Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2005 4:12 pm

Re: Airliners.net Site Upgrade Announcement & Discussion

Fri Jul 29, 2016 6:20 am

congrats to the staff. I have now officially logged in more times since the site upgrade than the previous 10 years! congrats again. good thing I like shorter passwords
 
B52overSMF
Posts: 73
Joined: Tue May 15, 2007 10:37 am

Re: Airliners.net Site Upgrade Announcement & Discussion

Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:39 am

I'm happy to see the contrast in the forums changed, the headers for each post much smaller, but there are still some issues that are very important to me that have not yet been addressed:
- Ads - Far, far too many. I have one on each side of forums posts and annoying overlaid video ads that get in the way too often. It's extremely off-putting and something that was already annoying with the old design. Especially as a paid member.
- Captions on images - With the old site, the captions for the images were an extremely short scroll down to learn particulars about the shot in question (one of my favorite things and how I learned many fun details about particular aircraft). Now, I have to scroll ~1.5 screens. It's not the end of the world, but highly annoying. It would be nice if the captions were directly below the image being viewed.
- Avatar + poster information to the left of each forum post is still mightily oversized. It makes each post take up much more space than needed and subsequently leads to slower browsing and more scrolling.
- Image size - Per a moderator suggestion, in settings, I have set my profile to display the 'large' image first each time I click on an image but I continue to get medium first.

All around, I find the new design MUCH more inefficient and as such, annoying. Too, too much scrolling. As such, I have noticed my multiple daily visits to the site have been reduced to at most one one, and at times even NONE, each day. I love airliners.net, but this is my honest feedback.
 
User avatar
airkas1
Posts: 7904
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2003 7:01 am

Re: Airliners.net Site Upgrade Announcement & Discussion

Sat Jul 30, 2016 7:49 am

airkas1 wrote:
olegchaplin wrote:
Why site shows wrong number of accepted photos?

Is on the list and will be looked into.

Developer reply: "Found and working resolution in testing - total number of photos listed in photo details may not match the newest (largest numerical) item."


cougar15 wrote:
Is there again such a function as ´my starred topics´ in the forums and if so, would one of you please run it by this old computer illiterate gentleman again?

Quoting Johnny from the New Site FAQ (viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1335405):

"While it's not quite as it was in the old site you can see all topics you have replied to, or subscribed to by clicking the user image in the top right corner of the main site and choose settings, and then Forum. In the Overview tab you can see your Bookmarks and Subscriptions. If you already are on the forum page you click your user image and choose "User control panel" and the Manage bookmarks or subscriptions."

Did that do the trick? I'm not sure if he wrote that before or after the new forum layout.


frmrCapCadet wrote:
my only ongoing complaint is having to log in almost every time I come to the site. Before it would be every week or two.

WALmsp wrote:
is anyone else having trouble staying logged in?

This will be getting fixed, but I don't have an ETA on that. Some of the updates to the site have an 'unintended' side-effect that take care of this bug for some users, but it seems to be pretty random.


foxbatavia503 wrote:
It would be nice if when displaying small pictures of the aircraft's name was "Version" instead of "Basic Type".

This is on the list.


yari wrote:
Is something wrong with it, when 150 views can bring the picture on a fifth place... or 500 to be the top picture. Loosing viewers and authors every day. What used to be average 250-300 clicks on new releases, now is 40-50...

We're all aware that the hits are down, but everyone is working hard towards increasing this again. With every update, the site gets better and behind the scenes people are working on get the exposure back on par again.


blrsea wrote:
Is it possible to add a "Like" button to the posts, at least to ones in Trip reports? Many times, I enjoy the trip report, but don't have anything much to add. A "Like" button would be good. I have seen it in couple of other forums

I've added it to the list, but no guarantees.


B52overSMF wrote:
I'm happy to see the contrast in the forums changed, the headers for each post much smaller, but there are still some issues that are very important to me that have not yet been addressed:
- Ads - Far, far too many. I have one on each side of forums posts and annoying overlaid video ads that get in the way too often. It's extremely off-putting and something that was already annoying with the old design. Especially as a paid member.
- Captions on images - With the old site, the captions for the images were an extremely short scroll down to learn particulars about the shot in question (one of my favorite things and how I learned many fun details about particular aircraft). Now, I have to scroll ~1.5 screens. It's not the end of the world, but highly annoying. It would be nice if the captions were directly below the image being viewed.
- Avatar + poster information to the left of each forum post is still mightily oversized. It makes each post take up much more space than needed and subsequently leads to slower browsing and more scrolling.
- Image size - Per a moderator suggestion, in settings, I have set my profile to display the 'large' image first each time I click on an image but I continue to get medium first.


- The video ad issue should be fixed(?). As for the other ads, I can't comment on that.
- This is on the list.
- This is on the list.
- This works fine for me and I haven't received any other complaints regarding this. Please note that the Medium/Large option underneath the photo has the options the other way around. If you view the large photo, the text for 'large' is bold. This gives the false idea that you're viewing the medium size. The issue is known and on the list.

In addition, various 'cleanups' are scheduled, to reduce unnecessary scrolling.
 
User avatar
kulverstukas
Posts: 1101
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:58 am

Re: Airliners.net Site Upgrade Announcement & Discussion

Sat Jul 30, 2016 11:02 am

airkas1 wrote:
[color=#27ae60]Update 30/07 05:35 UTC:
Remark: "Before the move to the "New" Airliners.net, I was on about 13,000 posts (can't remember the exact number), but now I'm on about 8,933. Some 3k posts lost?!"
Reply: Counting of Forum posts was handled differently in previous forum, every post incremented the post counter, regardless of deletion, moderation or removal of related topics. PHPBB now shows posts as a lving value related to accessible posts. Some PHPBB Posts may have been lost in migration - this is being looked into separately.


I don't know if I post 1000 or 950 posts, it doesn't matter, but at the profile page if I click a link of all my posts still it starts with latest post from 15/06 and earlier.
 
User avatar
airkas1
Posts: 7904
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2003 7:01 am

Re: Airliners.net Site Upgrade Announcement & Discussion

Sat Jul 30, 2016 1:22 pm

kulverstukas wrote:
at the profile page if I click a link of all my posts still it starts with latest post from 15/06 and earlier.

Added to the list.
 
jwadsworth
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:44 pm

Re: Airliners.net Site Upgrade Announcement & Discussion

Sat Jul 30, 2016 10:07 pm

Will watermarks be a part of paid members as well?
 
Rexus
Posts: 44
Joined: Mon May 07, 2007 4:13 am

Re: Airliners.net Site Upgrade Announcement & Discussion

Sat Jul 30, 2016 11:55 pm

airkas1 wrote:
Rexus wrote:
please excuse my late reply, I did not see the notification on the boards.

However: Yes, I did read the official update thread. The missing feature I complained about however does not have anything to do with missing photos on the albums, but with the unability to sort/order the photos within a photo album by the date the photos were added to the album. As of now it is only possible to sort them via their individual number of views and their individual number of likes. On the old website, when I added a picture to the album, it was shown first or last when I clicked on my album to see the pictures I added to the album. I hope the "sort by date added" will be implemented again.


No worries! :)
And I'll ask the developers to enable this again.



Hi there,

any news on this one?
 
User avatar
airkas1
Posts: 7904
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2003 7:01 am

Re: Airliners.net Site Upgrade Announcement & Discussion

Sun Jul 31, 2016 5:55 am

jwadsworth wrote:
Will watermarks be a part of paid members as well?

In time, I think the plan is to go back to what we had with the old site, where premium members don't see watermarks.


Rexus wrote:
any news on this one?

Sorry, no news on that yet.
 
User avatar
ricox
Posts: 167
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:26 pm

Re: Airliners.net Site Upgrade Announcement & Discussion

Sun Jul 31, 2016 6:05 am

Is no more possible to select Dark watermark ...
 
User avatar
airkas1
Posts: 7904
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2003 7:01 am

Re: Airliners.net Site Upgrade Announcement & Discussion

Sun Jul 31, 2016 6:46 am

ricox wrote:
Is no more possible to select Dark watermark ...

From the issues FAQ thread:
- Dark watermarks have now been disabled. Light watermarks can be applied with a max of 70% opacity.
 
User avatar
ricox
Posts: 167
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:26 pm

Re: Airliners.net Site Upgrade Announcement & Discussion

Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:58 pm

Thank's ... but I don't understand why :?:
 
User avatar
airkas1
Posts: 7904
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2003 7:01 am

Re: Airliners.net Site Upgrade Announcement & Discussion

Sun Jul 31, 2016 10:13 pm

ricox wrote:
Thank's ... but I don't understand why :?:

Because people were knowingly or unknowingly 'abusing' the black watermark. 100% opacity and placed completely over the subject isn't a pretty sight.
Why bother uploading a photo, only to ruin it with a watermark like that. And not only that, it makes the site look bad as well for allowing such photos on display. So that's why we took the above mentioned steps.
 
User avatar
ricox
Posts: 167
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:26 pm

Re: Airliners.net Site Upgrade Announcement & Discussion

Mon Aug 01, 2016 5:48 am

airkas1 wrote:
ricox wrote:
Thank's ... but I don't understand why :?:

... So that's why we took the above mentioned steps.


Ah :roll: ok,
I take this opportunity to ask if there is a sort of timetable for this "to do thing":

1-Upload queue statistic.
2-Photo statistic.
3-If there is a way to fix quality of certain photo in queue or in rejected list.


I signal also another nice to re-have, in the old forum, you can select and quote a part of message, here it seems that this feature is missing... could it come back??
Thank's a lot
 
User avatar
airkas1
Posts: 7904
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2003 7:01 am

Re: Airliners.net Site Upgrade Announcement & Discussion

Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:36 am

ricox wrote:
I take this opportunity to ask if there is a sort of timetable for this "to do thing":

1-Upload queue statistic.
2-Photo statistic.
3-If there is a way to fix quality of certain photo in queue or in rejected list.


I signal also another nice to re-have, in the old forum, you can select and quote a part of message, here it seems that this feature is missing... could it come back??

1) No ETA.
2) No ETA.
3) This week.
4) This is on the list, but no ETA on that. I think there are other things to fix first.
 
ArmitageShanks
Posts: 3779
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2003 5:30 am

Re: Airliners.net Site Upgrade Announcement & Discussion

Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:09 pm

airkas1 wrote:
ricox wrote:
Thank's ... but I don't understand why :?:

Because people were knowingly or unknowingly 'abusing' the black watermark. 100% opacity and placed completely over the subject isn't a pretty sight.
Why bother uploading a photo, only to ruin it with a watermark like that. And not only that, it makes the site look bad as well for allowing such photos on display. So that's why we took the above mentioned steps.


Yeah, who would want all sorts of things plastered all over the place on a webpage....
 
RottenRay
Posts: 220
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:43 am

Re: Airliners.net Site Upgrade Announcement & Discussion

Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:28 am

ArmitageShanks wrote:
Yeah, who would want all sorts of things plastered all over the place on a webpage....


Probably one of the best posts on A.net in the last five weeks.

Now, about the login issue that's been going on for close to TWO MONTHS. I'll give the developers a hint. Check out persistent login for whatever server software the site runs on, learn about it. phpBB uses cookies that depend on server configuration. You can stay logged in at Google, YouTube, and many other professionally maintained sites for literally years. I've been logged in at Pprune since 2008, through all of that site's mods and retoolings.

Also, developers, you've got a lot of bad javascript running loose here on the site. I'd suggest hiring a consultant to audit the free and low-cost scripts you're using to make sure they aren't filled with exploits. While you're at it, get rid of the "stay on page" alert -- that's usually found on the pages of free porn sites and sites attempting a browser hijack.

As far as the rest of the discussion, a graph is worth a thousand words.

Image

This will turn back up when A.net's transformation is complete and the site has lots of helpful content-farm articles about puppies on airplanes, which is really what Demand Media wants. They're after clicks and visits so the stuff plastered all over the site grows in value.

Civ Av has gone so far down the tubes at this point that it's not worth visiting, and this is the only forum worth visiting here, but the moderators vs. longtime members game is running down. A lot of the contestants -- the valuable contributors who made this site what it was -- have already left the arena.

Without a full-time developer backing the "upgrade," and a company that doesn't care about the community, this site is destined to spiral down in uselessness.
 
User avatar
747classic
Posts: 4236
Joined: Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:13 am

Re: Airliners.net Site Upgrade Announcement & Discussion

Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:02 am

RottenRay wrote:
Civ Av has gone so far down the tubes at this point that it's not worth visiting, and this is the only forum worth visiting here, but the moderators vs. longtime members game is running down. A lot of the contestants -- the valuable contributors who made this site what it was -- have already left the arena.


I have refrained from posting at Civ Av, Tech Av and Mil Av fora one month ago and tried again around 01 August.

1) I have to login again ---again .... again......
2) The threads, I replied to, are still not indicated by a clear mark.
3) the latest replies at each thread are listed at the end , so you have to selected the last page of that thread for a reply.
4) Is it still possible to add attachments (JPEG), downloaded from my own computer. At the control panel at the Old A-net website it was possible to upload content to a max of 2MB. The relevant file(s) could be attached by one mouseclick to your post for a clear explanation of your reply at the forum.
5) Also the timer seems to be at fault : Just after posting correction was not possible anymore , posting time indicated : posted two hours ago.!!!!
 
SabreHog
Posts: 27
Joined: Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:40 pm

Re: Airliners.net Site Upgrade Announcement & Discussion

Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:56 pm

Is there a reason "cn" has been replaced with "MSN"? I realize it's a "minor" quibble, but "construction number" has been a term of art in the aviation enthusiast community for quite a while (published authors like Yefim Gordon et al even make use of it, for that matter), so I don't see why the change was warranted-we all know what it means, and it's not like it wasn't intuitive for non-aviation people to figure out.

Also, why the decision to split off line numbers from c/ns? The best thing about having them together was that it made for a genuinely unique entry, so that you would only see examples of the particular aircraft you were looking for. Plus, searching for a line number doesn't really make sense, as it's going to bring up several totally different aircraft from both Boeing and Douglas, and, on the same point, appears to only apply to aircraft for those two manufacturers, which seems an equally odd choice. What about McDD aircraft with two c/ns, like the F-15s? Or aircraft with several combined c/ns, like many of the Eurofighters or Tornados, or aircraft from Aermacchi? Or Soviet aircraft with attached "fuselage numbers", which, while similar, do not really fit the same mold? Combining all this data in one field makes a lot more sense than dividing it up, particularly dividing it up unequally like this.

Additionally, the search function doesn't seem to work properly at all. I tried searching for "PA-28R-201" recently, and it only produced about 20 results, including several other Piper Arrow variants, which is not what I was looking for, much less representative of what I know for a fact to be the numbers of PA-28R-201 Arrow III photos in this database. Worse, I tried searching "Aeropro Eurofox" and it didn't produce any results at all; I ended up having to site search on Google just to find that the database contains many entries for that aircraft type.

Finally, what exactly is a "basic type" supposed to be, and how does it differ in any substantive way from generic variant? And why are all three of these displayed in the photo information? Far from helping, it would only serve to confuse the uninitiated, and it looks extremely messy and poorly arranged displayed that way.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos