Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

airkas1

Re: Airliners.net Site Upgrade Announcement & Discussion

Tue Aug 30, 2016 2:15 pm

EL-AL wrote:
Sorry if that was discussed before, but where are the personal photo albums? I made nice album of all the planes I flew on and I can not find it. Thx!

https://www.airliners.net/user/EL-AL/profile/albums

CplKlinger

Tue Aug 30, 2016 2:17 pm

airkas1 wrote:
Just a small update on some of the issues from this weekend/in this thread. The points that were identified were:

1. Photos not showing up after bring accepted (someone has been waiting for 6 days and their photo has yet to appear). A handful of people are complaining in the forum and over emails.
Email from a user: "I still have this problem, but I can narrow it down to those cases where the Image is in a certain category, e.g. airport overview. Then it only becomes visible 24 hours after acceptance, which is a shame as normally this Image category receives a lot of views, but now it completely drops out of the 24h rotation and afterwards goes almost unnoticed. I've had this happen 4 times until now. It would be great if this could be fixed - thanks!"
2.Screen size is an issue (Impact has been around for 6 days now). People are still reporting display issues on smaller devices and screens. viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1341367
3. Look into the login remember me function issue? Also look into enabling the login redirects again (taking a user back to the page they were on when they logged in). See items 22 and 54 on the spreadsheet.
4. Some users report intrusive ads on the pages (see attached screenshot)
5. Ad's on the sides of the forum page is now hovering over the forum post and blocking view.

Below the update from the developers:

2 & 5 appear to be css/js issues. I've posted an update to force users the latest css/js. Hopefully that'll fix the display issues, cause we can't replicate the issue. I've tried Chrome/Firefox/IE11 on PC and Chrome/Firefox on Mac and they all appear OK.

4. is just our out of page ads. they don't occur that often and it's usually a video. We'll have to talk to the ads dept if it's too much for users.

looking into 1 & 3.

------
Interpreting the above, issues 2 should now be solved. I would appreciate confirmation on this from users who experienced these specific problems.

The screen issue? IT'S. NOT. FIXED. Check it here --> http://imgur.com/fcP2aPk and here --> http://imgur.com/nDqOF3F. First image is Firefox48, the second image is Safari 10, macOS Sierra. I also was seeing the issue on OS X 10.11 before I upgraded to the beta this week (so I know the beta isn't causing it), same browsers. I've cleared caches/cookies/etc and I still get a mobile like layout. Here is my display information from About this Mac --> http://imgur.com/94PAjdR. This isn't isn't fixed, and this isn't acceptable.

Edited to add: on my iMac 21" on OS X 10.11, I do not see this issue on either Safari or Firefox. Only on this computer.

airkas1

Tue Aug 30, 2016 2:54 pm

I've passed it on.

CplKlinger wrote:
IT'S. NOT. FIXED.

No need to shout...

JohnKrist
Head Support

Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:25 pm

EL-AL wrote:
Sorry if that was discussed before, but where are the personal photo albums? I made nice album of all the planes I flew on and I can not find it. Thx!

On front page click the icon in the top right corner (on smaller screens the three bars) and choose Profile. On small screens it's My account, and then View Profile. There you will find a drop down with About, Photos, Albums and Favorites. Or, simply click this link https://www.airliners.net/user/EL-AL/profile/albums
5D Mark III, 7D, 17-40 F4 L, 70-200 F2.8 L IS II, Canon 50mm 1.4, Sigma 50mm 1.4 ART, Sigma 105mm 1.4 ART, EF 1.4x II, EF 2x III, SPEEDLITE 600EX-RT

airkas1

Tue Aug 30, 2016 4:06 pm

CplKlinger wrote:
[Check it here --> http://imgur.com/fcP2aPk and here --> http://imgur.com/nDqOF3F. First image is Firefox48, the second image is Safari 10, macOS Sierra. I also was seeing the issue on OS X 10.11 before I upgraded to the beta this week (so I know the beta isn't causing it), same browsers. I've cleared caches/cookies/etc and I still get a mobile like layout. Here is my display information from About this Mac --> http://imgur.com/94PAjdR. This isn't isn't fixed, and this isn't acceptable. Edited to add: on my iMac 21" on OS X 10.11, I do not see this issue on either Safari or Firefox. Only on this computer.

|
|
v

Developer wrote:
Ok. The additional information provided by the user was helpful. This is normal. He is viewing the site in tablet mode. His screen size is 1440px x 900px so he's view port must drop below the desktop to tablet threshold dropping his view of the site to tablet mode. The threshold is approximately 1400px so perhaps if he maximizes the window it'll switch to desktop mode.

Developer wrote:
I wanted to note that I said "approximately" 1400px because that is based on all thing being on default. There are ways to change your "dpi". One way is to use the browsers zoom function.

ojjunior

Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:08 pm

It's just me and my browser or again the main page is different since monday, now showing 2 of 5 top photos big pics to the left and a giant blue lost space? :?: :?: :?:

CplKlinger

Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:18 pm

airkas1 wrote:
I've passed it on.

CplKlinger wrote:
IT'S. NOT. FIXED.

No need to shout...

When you are used to not being heard, sometimes you have to.

In addition, I don't know which planet the developer is on, but that behavior isn't "normal". I don't like having my browser fully maximized all the time, because I might be doing several things at once. In addition, there are several other websites I go to with responsive design, and *none* of them have such an absurdly high resolution switch. So in the developer's explanation, if I had an 11" MacBook Air, I'd always get the tablet display, even fully maximized, seeing as how the max resolution of that screen is 1366x768 (see specs here --> http://www.apple.com/macbook-air/specs.html). Fark.com, which has an excellent mobile site, *never* switches to a tablet layout on my computer, no matter how I resize my window. This is just another lazy ass excuse from the developers on why something that wasn't broken was "fixed", and if we've got a problem with it, well screw us, right? It's not like some of us paid good money to use this site at one point. The developer needs to go brush off his CSS and PHP books and fix this, or find someone competent enough who can.

I feel like I, along with a lot of other people here, are getting tired of the same old response with an issue --> "We know about it, and we'll fix it." When? "Soon." And when the fix comes in half baked, like this one, all we get is "Well, the developer says it's normal, derpy-do."

speedbored

Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:50 pm

I've tried to avoid criticising too much so far, preferring to give DM a chance to fix it. But it's getting beyond a joke.

Developer wrote:
The threshold is approximately 1400px

I have to say that that is a ridiculously high threshold. I'd be happy to bet that most people with mobile devices with resolutions much above ~800 pixels will prefer to get the desktop view anyway. I find the desktop view far more usable even on my phone than the mobile view.

We are, after all, mostly grown-ups here; not kids accessing a Pokemon site on our phones.

If the developers are determined that 800 px is too low a threshold, then why not make it a user choice (i.e. a user setting) as to which view they get?

Developer wrote:
so perhaps if he maximizes the window it'll switch to desktop mode.

That really says it all about how little the developer(s) know(s) about user friendliness. Again, I'd be happy to bet that very few desktop users will want to have to maximise their view in order to be able to use the site. Almost all of the very many desktop users that I've ever witnessed want to be able to have multiple windows in use at once.

DM really need to get a knowledgeable manager in to get a grip of the development/fixing that is going on. Someone who understands about good design and, more importantly, proper testing and deployment. They also need someone to take proper control of the bug fixes / change requests logs and properly prioritise things. Seems to me that, at the moment, the developers are being left to their own devices and are cherry picking the interesting stuff, are not undertaking any sort of proper design process, and are deploying updates without properly testing them.

Personally I now mostly just read the few posts that other people take the time and effort to post. It's just far far too much effort for me to actually contribute much these days. I suspect that very many of the other members, who have not yet left entirely, are doing the same.

Can't criticise the volunteer crew, though, especially airkas1 and JohnKrist. You've been doing a great job in very difficult conditions (I'll let you off for the occasional times that you've had a rant at some of us users - it's totally understandable). But I really do think that, sadly, you are fighting a losing battle now.

airkas1

Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:13 pm

Sorry...
My knowledge about this part tablet stuff isn't great, so I don't know what else to tell you. In this case I'm just the middle man and passing on what each side is saying. I wish I could tell you all a solution that would indeed work once and for all. The last possible 'solution' I know is that "https://www.airliners.net/?desktop=1" should get you the desktop version of the site. I have this bookmarked on my phone and it indeed gives me the desktop site in stead of the mobiel/app site.

I hope the developers read all this too and come up with a permanent and workable solution.

CplKlinger

Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:29 pm

airkas1 wrote:
Sorry...
My knowledge about this part tablet stuff isn't great, so I don't know what else to you. In this case I'm just the middle man and passing on what each side is saying. I wish I could tell you all a solution that would indeed work once and for all. The last possible 'solution' I know is that "https://www.airliners.net/?desktop=1" should get you the desktop version of the site. I have this bookmarked on my phone and it indeed gives me the desktop site in stead of the mobiel/app site.

I hope the developers read all this too and come up with a permanent and workable solution.

I'm not exactly mad at you personally, but the overall attitude from Demand Media. You have the rough situation of being the messenger, and all too often you're the one that gets shot. You can only give us what Demand Media says, but at some point, you have to see our frustration that what they give you isn't acceptable. While the workaround helps, that shouldn't be the solution. The solution should be they reduce the breakpoint for switching to tablet mode to a more reasonable resolution. I must apologize for being gruff, but in this whole process we just see Demand Media punting the ball, so to speak, when an issue appears. It's not *your* fault.

If someone from Demand Media would read this, I say this to you: You keep proving over and over that you do not realize what you have with this site. You do not know anything about this "fandom" or what we want. You don't listen. You almost seem like you don't care. You could have a good thing here, but if you keep ignoring us and not listening, soon you may not have anything.

airkas1

Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:39 pm

Oh, I fully understand everyone's frustration and I don't blame you guys. It's just a bit of a powerless feeling at times that sucks. But hey, I'll keep trying.

CplKlinger wrote:
While the workaround helps, that shouldn't be the solution. The solution should be they reduce the breakpoint for switching to tablet mode to a more reasonable resolution.

I fully agree a workaround is just that and not a permanent solution. I've passed your suggestion on to them and hopefully that will do the trick.

Theseus

Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:42 pm

I am using both Chrome and Safari, and notice glitches on the display of threads lists in the forum, on Chrome.
The pages are not shown (impossible to jump directly to the last page for instance), and the numbers of messages do not show either.

jfazzer

Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:19 pm

Its taken me a while to post a comment as I was hoping that the new site layout was just a mistake or a temporary mesure till you got the real one sorted but I have to say what a mess!!
you have managed to turn a fantastic web-site that was easy to understand navigate and follow into what can only be described as a total car-crash.
I hate everything about it from the home page to the forum lay-outs it really is a backward step!!!
Don't suppose there is any chance of having our wonderful site back is there?
Please

ArmitageShanks

Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:22 pm

airkas1 wrote:
Oh, I fully understand everyone's frustration and I don't blame you guys. It's just a bit of a powerless feeling at times that sucks. But hey, I'll keep trying.

CplKlinger wrote:
While the workaround helps, that shouldn't be the solution. The solution should be they reduce the breakpoint for switching to tablet mode to a more reasonable resolution.

I fully agree a workaround is just that and not a permanent solution. I've passed your suggestion on to them and hopefully that will do the trick.

You're not powerless. You and the other unpaid volunteers can resign. Force them to deal with the issues in a more direct way by not being part of the problem. That is real, direct action you can take to bring a bit more attention to this disaster. Hey, you wont be the first employees to jump off the DM bandwagon.

JohnKrist
Head Support

Wed Aug 31, 2016 6:57 am

ArmitageShanks wrote:
You're not powerless. You and the other unpaid volunteers can resign. Force them to deal with the issues in a more direct way by not being part of the problem. That is real, direct action you can take to bring a bit more attention to this disaster. Hey, you wont be the first employees to jump off the DM bandwagon.

While I agree that's a way to send a strong message I don't believe it's a good solution. I want to do things the proper way, not by blackmailing :)
Besides, they might just be happy to get rid of my ass...
5D Mark III, 7D, 17-40 F4 L, 70-200 F2.8 L IS II, Canon 50mm 1.4, Sigma 50mm 1.4 ART, Sigma 105mm 1.4 ART, EF 1.4x II, EF 2x III, SPEEDLITE 600EX-RT

ArmitageShanks

Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:52 pm

JohnKrist wrote:
ArmitageShanks wrote:

While I agree that's a way to send a strong message I don't believe it's a good solution. I want to do things the proper way, not by blackmailing :)
Besides, they might just be happy to get rid of my ass...

Seems to be going well so far :roll: ....keep up the good work I guess.

NIKV69

Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:18 am

airkas1 wrote:
Why was it a horrible process?

It seemed more streamlined but when I used the auto complete feature it didn't enter all the info and was confusing.
I am the Googlizer!!!

airkas1

Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:49 am

NIKV69 wrote:
It seemed more streamlined but when I used the auto complete feature it didn't enter all the info and was confusing.

Ah, that. Yeah, you need to select the right matches.

AlexC

Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:59 pm

Just when I thought that things couldn't get much worse, I've just noticed that A.net is using the expression 'photogs'. Argh!!!!!

moo

Thu Sep 01, 2016 2:42 pm

So its been more than a couple of months now, when is the forum login issue going to be fixed?

Which ones do I mean?

1. Randomly being logged out. No its not my browser, its the website ending sessions.

2. Any login prompt throwing you back to the front of the site rather than back to the thread you were in. Not logged in and go to quote someone? Login prompt, that throws you back to the site home page. Want to log in to comment? Login screen throws you back to the site home page. Sodding useless.

These are basic things for forums people, I know because I have written and managed forums in the past - what are you paying your site administrators and developers for? Because if they can't get basic things like login auth flows correct, then what else are they missing?

Oh wait, its PHPBB, then this should be a check box somewhere in the admin panel for crying out loud!!!

Incompetence abounds, it would seem.

JohnKrist
Head Support

Thu Sep 01, 2016 5:39 pm

moo wrote:
Oh wait, its PHPBB, then this should be a check box somewhere in the admin panel for crying out loud!!!

If it was just a forum issue, then yes, however it's a multipart logon, not just a forum login so no checkboxes in phpbb will do anything.

moo

Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:00 pm

JohnKrist wrote:
moo wrote:

If it was just a forum issue, then yes, however it's a multipart logon, not just a forum login so no checkboxes in phpbb will do anything.

So its a 10 minute job rather than a 5 minute job...

Regardless, its not a difficult thing.

CPierre

Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:15 pm

airkas1 wrote:
Developer wrote:
I wanted to note that I said "approximately" 1400px because that is based on all thing being on default. There are ways to change your "dpi". One way is to use the browsers zoom function.

I missed this little tid bit at first. My PC changed over to the tablet display at the last home page tweek. 1900 X 800 and it still reverted to the tablet format. Zoom out a touch (make the display smaller) and it reverted to the old (new) page. Not very intuitive, though.

dutchspotter1

Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:01 pm

How exactly do I create a new photo album? When I go to my profile --> albums and then hit the button "create an album", it just goes to the photo albums main page, where I can't do anything.
NO URLS in signature

airkas1

Thu Sep 01, 2016 11:07 pm

AlexC wrote:
Just when I thought that things couldn't get much worse, I've just noticed that A.net is using the expression 'photogs'. Argh!!!!!

Where?

moo wrote:
So its been more than a couple of months now, when is the forum login issue going to be fixed?

I've adressed this issue with developers again yesterday. They've said they're looking into it, but that's all info I have at the moment.

dutchspotter1 wrote:
How exactly do I create a new photo album? When I go to my profile --> albums and then hit the button "create an album", it just goes to the photo albums main page, where I can't do anything.

Good question. I don't even see a "create an album" button. I've asked and will advise when I have an answer.

airkas1

Thu Sep 01, 2016 11:44 pm

airkas1 wrote:
dutchspotter1 wrote:

Good question. I don't even see a "create an album" button. I've asked and will advise when I have an answer.

"On any photo details page there’s a “add to album” button. It provides the user to add the photo to an existing album or to create one. The first photo you add to a newly created album becomes the cover photo. At the present time you can’t change the cover photo of any album. We had the feature available but removed it for performance reasons. We hope to have it back soon. If you want to delete the album, go to the albums link in your profile and there’s a little trash can on the lower right hand corner of each album cover photo."

I just tested the above and it worked flawlessly.

PITingres

Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:45 am

Good grief. I was away from the site for a few days and now it seems that the thread-page numbers are missing from the indexes. It used to be that for a long thread, like this one, you could see and click on page 42 right from the index. Now you have to click on the thread, see the first page, and click on the last one. Not only is that a waste, it's wasting bandwidth on your end serving up all those page-1's uselessly.

Also, the text is now too wide. I had complained about space wastage, but I was talking about vertical space, not horizontal.

Also, the login still isn't fixed, but I guess you know that.

One step sideways and one step back....
Fly, you fools! Fly!

LatAmFlyer

Fri Sep 02, 2016 2:42 am

airkas1 wrote:
I've passed it on.

CplKlinger wrote:
IT'S. NOT. FIXED.

No need to shout...

And there's no need to disregard the members' voices. A.net has become only a small, small shadow of what it once was: A great airline-discussion and -photo platform. Shame on Demand Media!

speedbored

Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:22 am

PITingres wrote:
It used to be that for a long thread, like this one, you could see and click on page 42 right from the index. Now you have to click on the thread, see the first page, and click on the last one. Not only is that a waste, it's wasting bandwidth on your end serving up all those page-1's uselessly.

Maybe.

But just think about all those extra adverts that DM can charge advertisers for displaying on all those extra pages that you now have to navigate through.

AlexC

Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:27 am

airkas1 wrote:
AlexC wrote:

Where?

Can't find it now. Perhaps I was having a nightmare?!

fortytwoeyes

Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:54 am

PITingres wrote:
Good grief. I was away from the site for a few days and now it seems that the thread-page numbers are missing from the indexes. It used to be that for a long thread, like this one, you could see and click on page 42 right from the index. Now you have to click on the thread, see the first page, and click on the last one. Not only is that a waste, it's wasting bandwidth on your end serving up all those page-1's uselessly.

I see them just fine. They disappear if not using a maximized browser window though.

dutchspotter1

Fri Sep 02, 2016 2:49 pm

Right of each (individual) photo (if you scroll down a bit), it says: "PHOTOG'S CHOICE WINNER".
NO URLS in signature

PITingres

Fri Sep 02, 2016 4:11 pm

fortytwoeyes wrote:
PITingres wrote:

I see them just fine. They disappear if not using a maximized browser window though.

Ugh. You are right. I don't run maximized desktop browsers.

News flash to whoever thought that THAT was a good idea: it's not. It's blazingly stupid.

I have tried to avoid the temptation to dump on the site developers as being a bunch of clueless morons, but it's hard and not getting any easier...
Fly, you fools! Fly!

kulverstukas

Fri Sep 02, 2016 5:19 pm

PITingres wrote:

I have tried to avoid the temptation to dump on the site developers as being a bunch of clueless morons, but it's hard and not getting any easier...

I hope there is a bunch, not single amateur working part time...

kulverstukas

Fri Sep 02, 2016 7:25 pm

With upload queue full, one can't edit any photo, throws out red stripe with "upload limit reached" and sent back to main page.

airkas1

Fri Sep 02, 2016 7:31 pm

dutchspotter1 wrote:
Right of each (individual) photo (if you scroll down a bit), it says: "PHOTOG'S CHOICE WINNER".

I don't experience this and am unable to reproduce the issue.

kulverstukas wrote:
With upload queue full, one can't edit any photo, throws out red stripe with "upload limit reached" and sent back to main page.

Thanks, passed it on.

Johnv707

Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:16 pm

ADD TO ALBUM PHOTOG'S CHOICEquote="airkas1"]
dutchspotter1 wrote:

I don't experience this and am unable to reproduce the issue.

From the home page, click on any of the five pictures. When it displays. look under the picture, there will be a row of small pictures and under that will be the words " ADD TO ALBUM PHOTOG'S CHOICE"

airkas1

Fri Sep 02, 2016 11:36 pm

Johnv707 wrote:
From the home page, click on any of the five pictures. When it displays. look under the picture, there will be a row of small pictures and under that will be the words " ADD TO ALBUM PHOTOG'S CHOICE"

I'm guessing you're are looking on the mobile site?

It's not a combined link, but 2 separate ones. The top link will allow you to add the photo to an album. Through the bottom link, you can vote for the photo for the photographer's choice award. So there is no issue with that, all is normal.

But I think Joost meant something else? Or was that it?

JohnKrist
Head Support

Sat Sep 03, 2016 6:49 am

Airkas, I think they mean the actual word "photog"

Erfan76

Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:10 am

Hello,
I'm still seeing mobile version on my desktop computer, what should I do to bring it back to normal view?

airkas1

Sat Sep 03, 2016 10:26 am

JohnKrist wrote:
Airkas, I think they mean the actual word "photog"

Where is that written?
EDIT: as in "photog's choice"?

Erfan76 wrote:
I'm still seeing mobile version on my desktop computer, what should I do to bring it back to normal view?

Zoom out your browser page to 90%. See if that works.

Johnv707

Sat Sep 03, 2016 12:43 pm

airkas1 wrote:
Johnv707 wrote:

It's not a combined link, but 2 separate ones. The top link will allow you to add the photo to an album. Through the bottom link, you can vote for the photo for the photographer's choice award. So there is no issue with that, all is normal.

Airkas1 - I am using a MAC 27" 5K monitor in full screen, so no, not using mobile site. I understand it is 2 seperate links but your edit software removed the blanks between the two. But it does use the word "PHOTOG" I don't have a personal issue with this, I was just trying to help identify where the word appears bases on previous questions

airkas1

Sat Sep 03, 2016 1:49 pm

Ahhh, now I get it, thanks! Misunderstanding on my part, as I thought you reported a separate issue.
As for the word, I don't know if it will change (if there is room for the full word on the mobile site).

Erfan76

Sat Sep 03, 2016 3:34 pm

Erfan76 wrote:

Zoom out your browser page to 90%. See if that works.

Worked, but this is a temporary solution.Hope it will be fixed in near future.

XAM2175

Sat Sep 03, 2016 5:45 pm

I do run everything in maximised windows - can't stand it any other way - and on a ThinkPad X201 at 1280x800 I'm being shown the tablet front-page.

I'm not using a tablet. It has no touch-screen. It in fact doesn't even have a trackpad.

The worst part is that on my previous proper desktop set-up I was using dual 19" 1280x1024 monitors... but apparently they're also tablets.

dutchspotter1

Sat Sep 03, 2016 7:36 pm

airkas1 wrote:
Johnv707 wrote:

I was just pointing out where you will find the atual word "PHOTOG" (as in PHOTOG'S CHOICE).
NO URLS in signature

Viscount724

Sun Sep 04, 2016 2:59 am

fortytwoeyes wrote:
PITingres wrote:

I mostly access A.net using a laptop and Firefox and have the A.net zoom set to 133% which nicely increases font size and also eliminates the annoying vertical ads along the edges of the screen. The only ad I now see is the banner ad at the top of the page which is easily ignored.

So I don't see the thread page numbers. But if you are mainly interested in the latest posts you can easily change the display settings so the newest posts apper first rather than last and save some clicks:

User control panel > Board preferences > Edit display options > Display post order direction > change from "Ascending" to "Descending"

AlexC

Sun Sep 04, 2016 6:27 pm

Wish I'd never mentioned it now!

skyzk

Mon Sep 05, 2016 5:45 am

Probably been said somewhere but it would be great to "Like" or thumbs up a post. Perhaps saving room on many similar posts.

Francoflier

Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:57 pm

Is there any hope of the login - homepage redirect ever being fixed?

And why the ridiculously high resolution threshold for the desktop version of the site? Do we need $5000 gaming machines to run a.net now?
I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.