Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

airkas1

Re: Airliners.net Site Upgrade Announcement & Discussion

Fri Sep 16, 2016 3:41 pm

PITingres wrote:
The login remembering is not working. I just logged in with remember me, exited Safari, came immediately back in, clicked my bookmark and my login was forgotten already. (My bookmark link is https://www.airliners.net/aviation-forum ... _aviation/ if that helps any.)

Thanks for the feedback!
I noticed that your bookmark link looks outdated.

Your current bookmark is: https://www.airliners.net/aviation-forum ... -aviation/
The proper bookmark is: viewforum.php?f=3

the old one does direct you to the new one, but perhaps you need to update it and that's the reason that the login remember fails. Could you please give it a try?

kulverstukas

Fri Sep 16, 2016 8:52 pm

aviat wrote:
OMG, new Homepage. Respectively old Homepage, almost. I'm so happy!

WAT? I don't see any changes. Quality of thumbnails is still beyond any standards.

RobK

Sat Sep 17, 2016 2:45 am

airkas1 wrote:
But please do let us know if you encounter any problems with logging in or the redirect function.

Still not working.

airkas1

Sat Sep 17, 2016 2:52 am

RobK wrote:
Still not working.

Passed it on.

kulverstukas

Sat Sep 17, 2016 9:24 am

RottenRay wrote:
I don't want to sound harsh, but you've got to face facts.

It's useless. From huge crew (which now have even page dedicated for them at the site) and "powerful team of developers working 24/7" only two volunteers has enough courage to communicate with community. Even at photography feedback forum there was at least half a dozen crew members before relaunch and now they all are hiding behind screening anonymity. Developers get feedbacks and bug reports "relayed" to them through this only two person who have their main job to do, at their spare time. This means they even doesn't read feedback forums! And key person from development can leave for vacation when main page of the site became broken after some unimportant update. For a fortnight. I can clearly feel rising level of frustration from Kas and John. But marketing reports that traffic is on fast rise and "the site is getting better every single week". So there is no hope for long term members of community that the site will return to something resembling old one. As I told already, it's not like a car with three wheels, it's like you was used to good restaurant which you visit every evening for tasty dinner and a glass of vine, and new owner just demolished it and built a kind of fast-food outlet at the site, claims to be franchise of McDonald's but lacks even this simple standards, with lazy staff, food poorly prepared, served slow and cold and cashiers even can't remember that you just paid for your order 2 minutes ago and you must show them sales slip every time you check if your tray is ready...

LenPepperbottom

Sat Sep 17, 2016 3:30 pm

kulverstukas wrote:
RottenRay wrote:
I don't want to sound harsh, but you've got to face facts.

It's useless. From huge crew (which now have even page dedicated for them at the site) and "powerful team of developers working 24/7" only two volunteers has enough courage to communicate with community. Even at photography feedback forum there was at least half a dozen crew members before relaunch and now they all are hiding behind screening anonymity. Developers get feedbacks and bug reports "relayed" to them through this only two person who have their main job to do, at their spare time. This means they even doesn't read feedback forums! And key person from development can leave for vacation when main page of the site became broken after some unimportant update. For a fortnight. I can clearly feel rising level of frustration from Kas and John. But marketing reports that traffic is on fast rise and "the site is getting better every single week". So there is no hope for long term members of community that the site will return to something resembling old one. As I told already, it's not like a car with three wheels, it's like you was used to good restaurant which you visit every evening for tasty dinner and a glass of vine, and new owner just demolished it and built a kind of fast-food outlet at the site, claims to be franchise of McDonald's but lacks even this simple standards, with lazy staff, food poorly prepared, served slow and cold and cashiers even can't remember that you just paid for your order 2 minutes ago and you must show them sales slip every time you check if your tray is ready...

This is what happens when an advertising/marketing company buys an aviation website. Nobody within the actual company cares about the end community- only the actual users who work for free do. The developers don't really care about the website they are working on...an art website one day, a lifestyle website the next. They build websites for their managers and that's the extent of their involvement. Heck, the current "General Manager" just moved on over from another DM website that sells....Art. But he's a passionate guy about aviation and that's why we all know and love his interaction with us, the community. Oh wait. Shouldn't the guy in charge of the whole thing be actually known to the people who use the site? He's been here for almost 6 months and nobody knows this guy.

11725Flyer

Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:42 pm

I'm sure this has been brought up, but frankly, I don't want to ready 44 pages of posts. Instead of letting the "moments ago" linger, why not just post the date and time?

RobK

Sun Sep 18, 2016 3:44 am

Ken and Kulvers, your posts will be swiftly removed and filed in the trash along with Ray's excellent post (which has already disappeared) as you have dared to criticise the Internet Gods that are Demand Media. Probably end up with a ban too.

JohnKrist
Head Support

Sun Sep 18, 2016 7:36 am

RobK wrote:
Ken and Kulvers, your posts will be swiftly removed and filed in the trash along with Ray's excellent post (which has already disappeared) as you have dared to criticise the Internet Gods that are Demand Media. Probably end up with a ban too.

Rays post was a long rant directed at me as a person, which is not OK. And yes, posts like that will end in a ban, and Demand Media has nothing to do with the moderation in here. I have asked you all to keep it civil, still a few of you keep attacking us in crew. I am tired of it and will personally request bans if this continues!

SomebodyInTLS

Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:56 am

RobK wrote:
scbriml wrote:
JannEejit wrote:
Just wondering if the failed retention of log-in detail is happening across all browsers ? I'm on the new Microsoft Edge browser that came with Win10 and cannot retain an A.net log-in, same on my Windows 8.1 phone. Is anyone having better luck with Chrome for example ? I wonder what the problem actually is, retention of log-in cookie info seems to be the most basic of website features...

I'm using Chrome on Windows 10 on a desktop and laptop. Both keep me logged in for about a week to ten days before I have to sign-in again.

Chrome on W8.1 doesn't maintain log-in at all. Maybe a couple of hours if I'm lucky then have to go through the whole process again. Remember me button does nothing.

For the record - it started to keep me logged in since middle of last week, both at home and at work. I'm using the Chromium-based browser Vivaldi.

JohnKrist
Head Support

Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:38 am

Critisism is fine as long as it is of the site itself and it's functions. Crew in general as long as it is constructive and civil too. Individual persons, NO!

JohnKrist
Head Support

Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:41 am

Besides, Airliners.net will never please everyone to 100%, never have.

airkas1

Sun Sep 18, 2016 10:07 am

SomebodyInTLS wrote:
For the record - it started to keep me logged in since middle of last week, both at home and at work. I'm using the Chromium-based browser Vivaldi.

Thanks for the info!

kulverstukas

Sun Sep 18, 2016 11:09 am

JohnKrist wrote:
Besides, Airliners.net will never please everyone to 100%, never have.

About us
Airliners.net is the leading community for discovering and sharing high-quality aviation photography. We thank you for your support and hope you'll join the largest aviation community on the web.

Ok, if you don't want to trust Alexa rank, another symptom is decline in views even for daily top shoots (from tens of thousands to thousands or even hundreds). As I used to post to different sites I can see that Anet views for the same photos are now comparable to A-P.net views and drops below Planespotters and Jetphotos views. It's as simple as that: photographers are here not because they are in love with crew or DM, but because of publicity this site provides. Couple it with most prohibitive screening process of all "aviation communities on the web" (which doesn't lead to higher quality of accepted photos, comparing with mentioned resources) and guess what place Anet will be in a year.

johnr

Sun Sep 18, 2016 11:18 am

I've noticed lately that some photos two or three days after upload have zero views. That's not a typing error on my part......there are photos on this site with zero views! If some way of increasing views for all uploaders and not just the handful who have their photos promoted on FB can't be devised soon then I would suggest that this site will be gone within six months.Regards.

JohnKrist
Head Support

Sun Sep 18, 2016 12:06 pm

0 views is nothing new and occurs everywhere which mean that we avcept images that aren't interesting but visually acceptable for the db. They are promoted through the most popular 24/48 hour feature, and a lot of people filter with Most recent. Do you have a suggestion on how to do it differently? When we do plug an image we get complaints with "what's so special about this?". Do check the threads on social media plugging, which leads me back to my previous comment: We can't please everyone

JohnKrist
Head Support

Sun Sep 18, 2016 12:21 pm

Kulverstukas, I never said that I don't trust Alexa showing a trend, however it is partly irrelevant is it doesn't compare us to our peers but to every site on the web. Site visits is a better marker for such narrow fields as aviation interest. Looking at other sites shows a decline in visits, but not 30% as Alexa rank implies. The site IS getting better every week. Compare to the white site and tell me I am wrong...

kulverstukas

Sun Sep 18, 2016 12:46 pm

JohnKrist wrote:
The site IS getting better every week. Compare to the white site and tell me I am wrong...

Oh my God! It reminds me of times when Communist Party propaganda compares quantity of computers and TV production in USSR in 1985 with pre-revolution Russian Empire production figures in 1913 :D

Compare with old Anet, white site was such great disaster that comparing anything with it is just a shame. Just changing color of $17 forum skin is not a great achievement. And I still doesn't get any answer if DM (or development or crew or whatever) will do anything with poor unprofessional pages design/layout and awful quality of thumbnails on main page.

hOMSaR

Sun Sep 18, 2016 1:04 pm

11725Flyer wrote:
I'm sure this has been brought up, but frankly, I don't want to ready 44 pages of posts. Instead of letting the "moments ago" linger, why not just post the date and time?

I mentioned this, either in this thread or another one some while back. When logged out, lots of threads show as having been posted "moments ago" (ask me how I know what being logged out looks like). When logged in, it shows slightly more detail (such as "4 minutes ago" or whatever).

If you are on a regular computer, you can hover your mouse over that line and a hovertext bubble will show you the actual timestamp. Not sure how that works on a mobile device though.

JohnKrist
Head Support

Sun Sep 18, 2016 1:40 pm

Top 5 right now has pretty normal views IMO, a top 5 with tens of thousands of views is something out of the ordinary, and the 5th usually have between 1500-2500 views

JohnKrist
Head Support

Sun Sep 18, 2016 1:56 pm

Kulverstukas, you may think what you want, and if I remember correctly you were one of those who complained a lot about the old site. yes there are still issues with the new site but rebuilding a complex site like this is no "install 17$ theme" only, that is just make-up. Most of the things that has been improved is not visible, read the update thread.

johnr

Sun Sep 18, 2016 2:10 pm

John, with all due respect the top 5 for the last six weeks has been "selected". Shots that are floundering on 15-20 views are selected for FB and thus immediately gain views which puts them in the top 5 very early and so get the chance to gather views for a longer period. It's an artificial top 5 which I believe is a tactic to give the impression that view counts are as they were. Your comment that zero views were the norm before I believe is nonsense. I've been on this site for 11 years now and I've never seen the low views that we have now. Regards.

JohnKrist
Head Support

Sun Sep 18, 2016 2:15 pm

I didn't say they were the norm...I said there were images with zero or very few views before as well. Facebook images have always been selected from what the admins think sticks out from the mass, nothing new there either. Or should we plug a blue sky Ryanair at Stanstead? Then people would really think we are bonkers...

johnr

Sun Sep 18, 2016 2:31 pm

Whatever the admins put on FB will make the top 5 but if you believe the users of this site only want to see aerial shots from LAX and SYD then that's your prerogative and ultimately your responsibility if users continue to get fed up with the policy and leave. All views apart from the top 5 are down massively, that's a fact that is clearly obvious to anybody that has monitored it over time. I'm not going to get into a slanging match over this, it's your website to do with as you wish so all the best while it lasts.

airkas1

Sun Sep 18, 2016 2:42 pm

Just wanted to comment on the plugging of photos.
Yes, sometimes the top 5 consists entirely of plugged images, but it's not always done by A.net. People plug photos themselves as well. And because the photo views have dropped in general, the effects of this are more noticeable. But this is not something new, as the exact same thing was done with the old site as well.

kulverstukas

Sun Sep 18, 2016 3:24 pm

JohnKrist wrote:
and if I remember correctly you were one of those who complained a lot about the old site.

I never complained about old site. I complained about biased and random screening. And about quality degradation of uploaded photos. Both problems was taken to the new site as well.

John, please answer me directly: do you insist that design and layout of this new site is better that of the old one? that it's high quality and professional job of qualified designer(s)? If your answer is "Yes" then I will stop "complaining" here.

goosebayguy

Sun Sep 18, 2016 5:18 pm

This is finally improving. However do a search on the photos loaded within the last 24 hours and the photos are tiny. This makes it a worthless effort to try. Previously the photos were massive and loaded slowly these are far too small. Can we have then a little larger please?

airkas1

Sun Sep 18, 2016 5:59 pm

goosebayguy wrote:
This is finally improving. However do a search on the photos loaded within the last 24 hours and the photos are tiny. This makes it a worthless effort to try. Previously the photos were massive and loaded slowly these are far too small. Can we have then a little larger please?

You can select the thumbnail-view on the top right side, right above the search results. This will show the photos larger, but the downside is that 16:9 crops have parts cut off. But there should still be enough left to make a decision whether you want to click the photo to view it full size.

LenPepperbottom

Sun Sep 18, 2016 6:09 pm

JohnKrist wrote:
Critisism is fine as long as it is of the site itself and it's functions. Crew in general as long as it is constructive and civil too. Individual persons, NO!

Why does it keep happening to you?

Also, why has there not been one instance of interaction with us from the leadership of the website? Q&A etc.

11725Flyer

Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:26 pm

hOMSaR wrote:
I mentioned this, either in this thread or another one some while back. When logged out, lots of threads show as having been posted "moments ago" (ask me how I know what being logged out looks like). When logged in, it shows slightly more detail (such as "4 minutes ago" or whatever).

If you are on a regular computer, you can hover your mouse over that line and a hovertext bubble will show you the actual timestamp. Not sure how that works on a mobile device though.

Thanks for the tip!

Ytraveller

Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:07 am

The photo database still appears to be in mobile format.

segi

Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:51 pm

Hello,

It's really convenient to be able to delete photos in the queue as sometimes we upload two times the same or even the wrong file.

However I would like to get the possibility to delete rejected photos too. Indeed, when an improved photo get finally approved, I would like to delete the previous rejected version(s) of the same pictures so that I can only focus on those that are still to be reworked.

Thank you (and I hope I am posting in the right discussion; if not, please excuse me).

Best regards,

ikolkyo

Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:20 pm

So how about that fix for time stamps or staying signed in? Issues have been here since the launch of this new site, although the login issue works sometimes.

airkas1

Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:27 am

Developer reply: I just pushed out an update that will address some login/remembering issues, specifically this case:

PITingres wrote:
The login remembering is not working. I just logged in with remember me, exited Safari, came immediately back in, clicked my bookmark and my login was forgotten already. (My bookmark link is https://www.airliners.net/aviation-forum ... _aviation/ if that helps any.)

Developer reply: The problem I (hopefully) addressed occurred when logging in and leaving, and then visiting the forum directly. Kas, could you ask this user to test again?

So PITingres, could you please try again and let me know? Thanks!

airkas1

Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:41 pm

Heads-up:

Developers wrote:
Currently albums photos are sorting by view count which was a choice made a long time ago that we're going to revert today. The new default will be newly added photos in albums show first. In order to make this change we will need to reindex all photos for all albums which will mean photo albums will become empty at some point today and will slowly repopulate over 3 - 4 hours. I will probably start this process in the next couple hours. So if users ask about albums not working you can let them know we're repopulating our photo albums database so we can change the default sorting method.

The crew have also requested the ability to change order, registration, views, airliner. It was confirmed that an enhancement of the sorting options is planned, but there is no ETA on that yet.

airkas1

Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:52 pm

Developers wrote:
Photo Album reindexing is about to start. Albums will appear empty or partially populated for a few hours during this process. The change to default sorting (newest photos first) will come in a second update that will be made after reindexing has begun.

airkas1

Wed Sep 21, 2016 3:05 am

Photo Album reindexing has finished. The default sort order for album photos is now newly added photos shown first. Please let us know if there are any issues.

DEKRC

Thu Sep 22, 2016 5:46 pm

Still waiting for the stats. Will they come back soon or shouldn´t we wait any longer?

airkas1

Thu Sep 22, 2016 5:54 pm

I know the stats page is currently in the works, but I don't have an ETA on that. They're rebuilt from scratch, so it takes some time.

RobK

Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:57 am

Touching wood etc, I've thus far remained logged in on both my PCs for 3 days now and counting.

oto727

Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:17 am

This site USED to be the best of the best, but now it is AS BAD AS any other aviation photography site. It is Not user friedly and the search function is way too complicated, in the past in the home page was the search options with the best common searching criteria and now I have to look for the advanced search to do the same, and why the page results are limited to eighty something results instead of 120? IF IT AINT BROKE, DON'T FIX IT!!! THUMBS DOWN. :evil:

diverted

Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:05 pm

JohnKrist wrote:
Kulverstukas, I never said that I don't trust Alexa showing a trend, however it is partly irrelevant is it doesn't compare us to our peers but to every site on the web. Site visits is a better marker for such narrow fields as aviation interest. Looking at other sites shows a decline in visits, but not 30% as Alexa rank implies. The site IS getting better every week. Compare to the white site and tell me I am wrong...

I took a few months away from here and figured heck, I used to spend so much time on here, might as well log in and see if it's gotten any better....I see they've made it blue. Don't see a whole lot of other changes.

No offense John, but when you're part of a website dedicate to aviation pictures and conversations, having a site that fails pretty hard at both isn't a great way to try and drive traffic or better the user experience. And using a cop out like "oh well, head dev guy is on vacay," isn't helping either. Seems that's either an admission that there only is ONE developer working on it, or they're in charge of a bunch of unpaid interns who don't have the authority to make any changes themselves.

Don't take this as a personal attack; I realize you're all unpaid volunteers (Which really should give you all the leverage, make DM pay you...If you guys don't do it, they'll have to have their own people do it, and I can't imagine they have anyone doing pro bono work on staff) You're all being taken advantage of and get stuck defending this site while the ownership can't be bothered to try and save face. It's quite sad.

We're going on what, 3 months since the update? And there's still issues with copyright bars on images, logging in, image resolution, and even displaying the home page depending on how big your screen is? This isn't the early days of the internet anymore; a competent web dev team would have discovered these things during beta testing, prior to going live. It's been three months since and it's still in shambles.

I know you like to say that the old site was broken beyond repair, but it was still much more functional than this one. It's analogous to saying, well, we were driving an old Mercedes S class, and the Nav was broken, and so was the passenger seat heater, and the rear left parcel shelf speaker. It's hopeless, not worth the effort to fix, so we've traded it in for a Tata Nano, which won't have any of those issues, it's a great upgrade! Oh, and instead of keeping the S class exclusive, by chargin a fee, we're going to let every Tom Dick and Harry hop in the Tata and have a say. The quality of discussion has dropped dramatically, as has the number of posts on decent threads.

I'll check back here in a few months and continue hoping that somehow, someway, someone can fix this place. I miss the insightful intelligent conversation. From my own experience, I can say there's a lot of people in my airline's SOCC browsing a lot of things that aren't A.net. And not just one or two people, but nearly the entire SOCC. And a good portion of said people had been on this site in various forms for upwards of 10 years. JP, AVH, etc, are showing up a lot more in our browsing histories, and JP seems to be the source of most people's desktops. Food for thought. Would have thought a high quality update and improvements would drive traffic, and thus revenue. Oh well.

kulverstukas

Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:52 pm

And thumbs up for best ever developers team in the world which fix login issue in scarce three full month of hard work!

alberchico

Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:38 am

BTW whatever happened to the idea of putting up an alternate white backdrop as an option ?

Or the suggestion that threads have the option of being displayed as a single page as before ?

Surely it would not be too difficult to tweak the new phpbb platform to accommodate these changes ?

JohnKrist
Head Support

Mon Sep 26, 2016 5:00 am

Kulverstukas and LenPepperbottom, you are not discussing Airliners.net which this thread is about. You are discussing me and Demand Media mostly. As such your posts are being deleted as they are off topic.

RottenRay

Mon Sep 26, 2016 5:20 am

And here's how hard your "developers" have been working on things:

My date format:
The syntax used is identical to the PHP date() function.

From the "UCP"

If you download this poor skin and read the instructions, this is ONE OF THE FIRST THINGS THEY RECOMMEND YOU CHANGE.

Developers? Wut?

RobK

Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:50 am

alberchico wrote:
BTW whatever happened to the idea of putting up an alternate white backdrop as an option ?

Or the suggestion that threads have the option of being displayed as a single page as before ?

Surely it would not be too difficult to tweak the new phpbb platform to accommodate these changes ?

You seem to be forgetting how long it has taken just to get the absolute basics functioning correctly. Adding another background colour will take 10 years, minimum. And it would probably be the wrong colour. :lol:

airkas1

Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:56 am

alberchico wrote:

There is no info on either.

LenPepperbottom

Mon Sep 26, 2016 2:44 pm

When are we going to see the paid, user generated content appear? Any news on that?

I'm shocked at the lack of professionalism here.

airkas1

Mon Sep 26, 2016 2:54 pm

LenPepperbottom wrote:
When are we going to see the paid, user generated content appear? Any news on that?

What paid user generated content?