Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

airkas1

Re: Airliners.net Site Upgrade Announcement & Discussion

Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:06 am

Laza wrote:
This seems to be fixed today! Great stuff, thanks...now the page is much more readable!

I'd say you're welcome, but thing is... I don't think the developers have worked on the site this week due to the holidays :scratchchin:

Aircellist

Sat Dec 31, 2016 5:59 pm

Jon, Kas, thanks for your patience enduring with us. I've just read four months of this thread in a row !!!

It's been two seasons since the "new" site launch… I feel the "new" site is running much smoother, in all, than the old hard-to-reprogram one. Thanks to you and the developers for bringing back many bits of what made the "old" A.net a very… the french word is "convivial"… site; convivial, as in: one you like to live with… The old photo page format, the great emojis, the colour (although we did not have the december snowfall, but then, ok for this year)…

The ability to have much longer threads, which lead to regrouping of old threads, is fascinating. I realize that those multiple, successive threads, had something of a marker effect, which is lost in today's format.

I feel that makes the need for a reply number (and ability to jump to said number) in the quote all the more important. I miss the ability to read the source post in context of the discussion at that time.

I also, somehow, enjoy the bell and its stack of new posts in the upper right corner. However, I still feel it would be much more useful if it brought the reader to the first unread post in the referenced threads.

All my wishes for the new year to all: health, love, warmth, peace, fulfillment and a few dreams to realize.

winterlight

Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:55 am

From the front page: "Are black liveries "bad"?

JohnKrist
Head Support

Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:03 am

winterlight wrote:

?

speedbored

Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:38 am

JohnKrist wrote:
winterlight wrote:

?

I think he means this:

JohnKrist
Head Support

Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:01 pm

Ah, of course, sorry. Known error and on the list.

spencer32

Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:31 pm

My apologies if this has already been covered elsewhere in this thread... is the function where airport codes appear in plain English when the cursor is placed on them ever likely to come back?
Following threads where obscure rural and provincial airports are only referred to by code is difficult if you haven't got the patience to look each one up (although judging by some of the comments in the 'Shortest International Airline Flight' thread we should stop moaning and memorise them or go away).
Again, sorry if this has already been addressed,this thread is 49 pages long now and takes a lot of trawling through!

LCKip

Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:21 am

spencer32 wrote:
My apologies if this has already been covered elsewhere in this thread... is the function where airport codes appear in plain English when the cursor is placed on them ever likely to come back?
Following threads where obscure rural and provincial airports are only referred to by code is difficult if you haven't got the patience to look each one up (although judging by some of the comments in the 'Shortest International Airline Flight' thread we should stop moaning and memorise them or go away).
Again, sorry if this has already been addressed,this thread is 49 pages long now and takes a lot of trawling through!

I support this function in A.Net. I have read in forums that this function was available in the past but has been disabled. With me, more users have a problem in understanding airport codes while more experienced/professional users understand this jargon. So please try to get this on the list for development.

JohnKrist
Head Support

Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:08 am

regarding mouse over tooltips, they are on the list, and will be done if possible. No ETA on it though

FYODOR

Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:58 pm

Front page contains 4 (!) links to Top photos of all time. Might could be less. ;)

Spiderguy252

Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:47 pm

So silly that I can't navigate between forums with a single click. Have to click on 'Forum' then the next forum I want to visit.

scbriml

Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:29 pm

Spiderguy252 wrote:
So silly that I can't navigate between forums with a single click. Have to click on 'Forum' then the next forum I want to visit.

I'm not aware it was possible on the old site, so AFAIK, the new site is exactly the same. You can click on the widget (small square with arrow pointing to top-right corner) at the top or bottom of the thread and select which forum you wish to change to.

Spiderguy252

Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:43 pm

scbriml wrote:
Spiderguy252 wrote:

I'm not aware it was possible on the old site, so AFAIK, the new site is exactly the same. You can click on the widget (small square with arrow pointing to top-right corner) at the top or bottom of the thread and select which forum you wish to change to.

Thanks. Barely saw it earlier, but that works for now.

On the old site, you merely had to hover on the header right up top. Under the 'Forums' tab, you could go wherever you wanted:

scbriml

Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:39 pm

Spiderguy252 wrote:
On the old site, you merely had to hover on the header right up top. Under the 'Forums' tab, you could go wherever you wanted:

Ah, yes. Of course. I'd completely forgotten about that option! :blush:

jorge1812

Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:31 am

Hi,

I'm still struggling to get used to the new layout. Were can I find my personal upload slots? Don't see how many slots I have, only how many pics are in the queue right now.

blrsea

Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:07 am

The forum pages have become very slow since yesterday. I tried using Chrome and IE11, and same behavior. The page loads but becomes unresponsive for 20-30 seconds and only then I can scroll down etc. Some ads or something else is slowing down the pages.

ZeeZoo

Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:55 am

Site is rather dull. Can we please have flags back or flags made as default profile pictures?

Just scrolling through mindless dark/light blue with no profile pics can get really tedious and worsens the user experience.

I can't think of a single, valid reason about not having flags.

fortytwoeyes

Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:58 am

Spiderguy252 wrote:

If you scroll all the way down there's a list of forum links.

SomebodyInTLS

Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:40 pm

ZeeZoo wrote:
I can't think of a single, valid reason about not having flags.

I can - it's not part of the standard forum software they're now using.

As such, it might not be trivial to add a module to do this function - so it could either be beyond the capabilities of the current maintainers or it could be "too much trouble" for them to waste time on.

As I understand it, the old forum was a bit of a home-brew effort by the original team, so the flags thing was probably someone's little pet project. Not easy to reproduce that in a corporate forum based on existing software.

JohnKrist
Head Support

Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:47 am

ZeeZoo you could do like I do, put your flag as image, or something as an avatar at least. A missing avatar is one of the things that make the look dull as you put it, and you complain about it without even having one yourself :laughing: And the flags are on the list, just not high priority. If it is possible, and there is spare developer time, it will be implemented.

segi

Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:00 am

Dear, all comments below still apply.
Moreover, I would like to inform that when my screening queue is full, I can't edit a photo in my queue or correct a photo that is already approved. In this case I receive the message: "You have reached the maximum number of photos you can upload. Please wait till the pending photos get screened." which does not make sense as I am not trying to upload another picture but to edit or correct a picture in the queue/approved list.
Thank you for your consideration and best regards

segi wrote:
Hello,
I would like again to request the possibility to delete rejected photos in order to focus only on those that still have a chance to be accepted. Moreover, it would be nice to have the possibility to click on a button to upload a new version of a rejected picture so that the registration, location, caption etc would not need to be re-filled in the form (it's so time consuming indeed!).
On another subject, I can't unfollow photographers/profiles I am following. It is a bug that should be fixed.
Thank you for your consideration.
Regards,
Seb

Aircellist

Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:09 am

The update announced under the bell does not appear in the open thread…

PanAm_DC10
Community Manager

Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:47 am

Hi All

You may notice some links are broken. The developers have been made aware of the issue but due to the time in SoCal it may take a couple of hours to fix. This is to let you know that they are aware of it and that a fix is being worked on.

Regards

Paul

jorge1812

Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:09 pm

lindy field wrote:
Hello,

I would also like to request the ability to move photos around within the albums, but especially to be able to remove photos from albums.

Thanks,

Edward

Is it meanwhile possible to remove pictures from an Album Don't see any possibility, but maybe too old for the internet already ;-)

iskyuk

Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:11 am

Airliners.net has been favourite website of mine since stumbling across it around 2008, I'm not much of a photographer so I've never really been able to contribute.
But I would like to weigh in on the changes to the site.
What was wrong with the way it was, it worked well, never froze, looked great, search options were easier....perhaps its just the "I don't change part of me" but it has in my mind always been a great and easy to use site.

dutchspotter1

Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:40 pm

I just found out the new website design of JP.com. They have a long way to go before reaching the current A.net level...

unattendedbag

Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:31 pm

problem: on the main page, top left, search box. when I search for "atlanta august", I get 33 matches.

there should be lots more!

is this a "known" problem?

KruegerFlaps

Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:50 am

iskyuk wrote:
it worked well, never froze, looked great, search options were easier....perhaps its just the "I don't change part of me" but it has in my mind always been a great and easy to use site.

You were lucky. The old site had a number of problems. Posters who sporadically receive "unauthorised" messages; the site was sometimes down for hours at a time; try to post a trip report and you might be told "the server is unable to handle the request; internet security packages identified pages as possible malware ...

Now there were some things that were good: easier to reply to multiple posts; the pop-up information when hovering over airline and airport codes, but it was not without serious ptoblems.

airkas1

Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:57 am

unattendedbag wrote:
problem: on the main page, top left, search box. when I search for "atlanta august", I get 33 matches.

Tried to do it through the search function on the right side, but realized you have to put in the year first, before you can continue to month. I've put this issue on the list, so we can hopefully be able to search for month-only in the future. Thanks for bringing it up.

dutchspotter1

Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:25 pm

airkas1 wrote:
unattendedbag wrote:

Tried to do it through the search function on the right side, but realized you have to put in the year first, before you can continue to month. I've put this issue on the list, so we can hopefully be able to search for month-only in the future. Thanks for bringing it up.

I already mentioned that way back in post 1948...

unattendedbag

Fri Feb 03, 2017 5:34 pm

dutchspotter1 wrote:
I already mentioned that way back in post 1948...

my apologies. I began punching myself in the groin around post 1,945.

dutchspotter1

Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:42 pm

No need to apologize, I'm happy that my point finally made it to the list after all those months ;)

trevisan26

Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:24 pm

I was thinking this would be fixed very soon, but I was wrong, not sure if its even on the list... When will the portrait format pictures get fixed? Its very annoying to waste so much space on the front page when one of the portrait pictures get to the front page or Photographers choice.

Regards,
Thiago Trevisan

Airfrance767

Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:28 am

When will photo displaying in vertical mode be available??.
Showing the screening queue is in the fix list??

Miguel.

william

Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:42 am

question, can you mark threads you have replied in? The old system would show what threads you replied in.

tan1mill

Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:40 am

When viewing a specific photographer's work, is there a way to see photos and data instead of just the photos? I wish that it looked more like any other search results with two columns and data (though I prefer the old look with only one column).

Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:24 pm

tan1mill wrote:
When viewing a specific photographer's work, is there a way to see photos and data instead of just the photos? I wish that it looked more like any other search results with two columns and data (though I prefer the old look with only one column).

https://www.airliners.net/search

Under "Photographer" you can enter their name and see all their photos with data. I also wish that they would go back to the one-column view and increase the size of the thumbnails a little bit.

embeee

Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:14 am

The new site is getting better and better each month, and I only have a few suggestions that would resolve some remaining issues:

1) Could you bring back the ability to search by continent and decade like on the old site, instead of just by individual country and year?

2) When clicking on any drop-down list in the search area you have to wait several seconds for it to load before you can make a selection (on the old site the drop-down lists appeared immediately as you clicked on them). This is frustrating as it takes significantly longer to perform even a simple search. Because of this I almost never use the basic or advanced search box but instead just type in text in the search box in the upper left corner, but then the results aren't as precise.

3) On the same topic, would it be possible to merge the Country, Region and Location boxes into a single Location box that lists countries and then regions and airports underneath each country (again like on the old site). That way you don't have to fill out three different fields just to get the airport you want. Alternatively, don't grey out the Location box but make it available at all times so that you can go straight to selecting a specific airport.

4) Same as above but for Photo Date: the Month box should be available even without selecting a year, because sometimes you want to see photos from a specific month or a specific season regardless of year.

5) In the Top 5 section on the front page, it would seem more useful to show for example location and photo date below each photo (or aircraft and airline) instead of the photographer's name and country. I would think that's the kind of information most people would be looking for (I could be wrong). Same thing in the basic search box. Wouldn't most visitors be looking for a specific aircraft type, airline or location instead of e.g. photographer, category or date added? Again, I could be wrong, but that seems a lot more intuitive to me.

6) Over the past week or two the website has become very sluggish, particularly when scrolling (it's jerky and laggy). It's like when you visit sites that have a huge number of Flash animations or other heavy plugins. All other websites that I visit perform normally for me.

dutchspotter1

Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:29 am

Hi embeee,

I agree and support point 1 and 4.
Regarding point 2: I'd rather not go back to the version of the old site. Because with the current setup, you can search for part of the name. E.g. if I want to search "Air France", I can just type "France" in the search box and then click on "Air France". This was not possible at all at the old site; I would have to type "Air" first. So I think searching is now a lot easier and I'd take those extra seconds for granted.
Regarding point 3: if you were to put all airports/locations in one list, it would probably become too long. Also in this case I prefer the current version over the old site. The old site listed some of the airports, but didn't give a complete overview of all locations in a certain country/region.

Just my 2 cents.

RobK

Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:15 pm

The location search for photos is completely retarded. It's clearly a US centric site as it assumes every visitor has a good geographical knowledge of the USA and knows which state every airfield is in. Why can you not simply type in the airfield code for the place you want to look at pics from? Instead you have to find out which state it's in, then scroll up and down a huge list of places until you find the one you want, and quite often the airfield names go by their stupid sponsored name rather than the actual place name which makes the process even more infuriating and unnecessarily time-consuming.

airkas1

Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:23 pm

trevisan26 wrote:
I was thinking this would be fixed very soon, but I was wrong, not sure if its even on the list... When will the portrait format pictures get fixed?

This is now on the list, but at low priority. Not sure if/when it will get fixed.

embeee wrote:
1) Could you bring back the ability to search by continent and decade like on the old site, instead of just by individual country and year?

Added this to the already exisitng entry regarding this.

embeee wrote:
2) When clicking on any drop-down list in the search area you have to wait several seconds for it to load before you can make a selection (on the old site the drop-down lists appeared immediately as you clicked on them). This is frustrating as it takes significantly longer to perform even a simple search. Because of this I almost never use the basic or advanced search box but instead just type in text in the search box in the upper left corner, but then the results aren't as precise.

Added to the list.

embeee wrote:
3) On the same topic, would it be possible to merge the Country, Region and Location boxes into a single Location box that lists countries and then regions and airports underneath each country (again like on the old site). That way you don't have to fill out three different fields just to get the airport you want. Alternatively, don't grey out the Location box but make it available at all times so that you can go straight to selecting a specific airport.

Added to the list. I agree on the latter (not greying out boxes), but the former is ok for me. I added that as my personal comment to this entry, which the developers can ignore if they so wish.

embeee wrote:
4) Same as above but for Photo Date: the Month box should be available even without selecting a year, because sometimes you want to see photos from a specific month or a specific season regardless of year.

This was already on the list :)

embeee wrote:
5) In the Top 5 section on the front page, it would seem more useful to show for example location and photo date below each photo (or aircraft and airline) instead of the photographer's name and country. I would think that's the kind of information most people would be looking for (I could be wrong). Same thing in the basic search box. Wouldn't most visitors be looking for a specific aircraft type, airline or location instead of e.g. photographer, category or date added? Again, I could be wrong, but that seems a lot more intuitive to me.

Personally I like the info/thumbnail combination as-is. But if lots of people wish for a different layout, then perhaps it can be done. don't hold your breath though.
The basic search box is exactly that, basic. Just for keywords to try and quickly find what you're looking for. Unfortunately the functionality of it isn't as good but I have good hopes that that will improve in time. A major overhaul of the search functions is still planned as far as I know, but I have no clue when the developers will start working on that.

embeee wrote:
6) Over the past week or two the website has become very sluggish, particularly when scrolling (it's jerky and laggy). It's like when you visit sites that have a huge number of Flash animations or other heavy plugins. All other websites that I visit perform normally for me.

Hm, I don't experience this that much.

Plainplane

Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:51 am

embeee wrote:
As one of many photographers on this site I believe the recognition of having our names displayed with our work when they make the front page is very important.

LTU932

Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:14 pm

Can I make a suggestion: Can you reactivate the feature that autolocks threads that were not touched for like 4 weeks or so? There are so many old threads e.g. in Civ-Av, Tech-Ops and Travel-Prefs that get bumped, even if the last post was like ten years ago or so.

RobK

Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:50 pm

LTU932 wrote:
Can I make a suggestion: Can you reactivate the feature that autolocks threads that were not touched for like 4 weeks or so? There are so many old threads e.g. in Civ-Av, Tech-Ops and Travel-Prefs that get bumped, even if the last post was like ten years ago or so.

Why? What issue does it cause? That was one of the annoying features of the old site imho. Sometimes a topic wouldn't have any updates for a period of time and then some new info would come to light so you'd go to post it in the thread only to find it had been archived and so you had to start a fresh one on the same topic. There is already an abundance of threads on the same topics as it is so by making this change it would just exacerbate the issue.

william

Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:36 pm

william wrote:
question, can you mark threads you have replied in? The old system would show what threads you replied in.

Is there an answer for this?

JoeCanuck

Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:50 pm

While I still think the 'upgrade' of the site was unnecessary, (the previous version being one of the most user friendly forum sites I have used), the new site has come a long way...and then I tried to use it on a computer without an ad blocker.

Oh my lord....what a frustrating mess.

I totally understand trying to make a few bucks on this enterprise but without an ad blocker, unless you have a lightning fast internet connection, A.net is almost unusable.

Sadly, this has become the way of things online. In the quest for revenue, user friendliness has been tossed out the window. The thing is, I don't even mind ads, if they would scroll along and not interfere with basic site function, but the huge monsters on A.net, are nothing but a pain. My travel laptop has a clunky two finger scroll response, so I pretty much must use the scroll bar to the right. Unfortunately, unless I maintain a laser like focus, I end up having to deal with the popup from the banner ad taking up 20% of my screen.

The old site was simple, user friendly, intuitive to use and efficient....and the new site seemed to have recovered much of what was lost, but wow...the inescapable ads make this site feel like it has Tourette's.

I suggest the web gurus try testing the site on a crappy old computer, on a mediocre connection to get a real feel of the new A.net experience. I doubt they will be impressed.

debonair

Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:39 am

I am going nuts...

I would like to follow some topics without posting - how can I mark/highlight these (in the past it was a star-sign)?

Also, I am desperate looking for some topics I posted in without adding "Notify me when a reply is posted" (as I received far too much notifications). So, I used the fancy "User Control Panel" > Show your posts > and voilà: "Information Sorry, search could not be performed. More information about this failure has been logged in the error log."!! :grumpy:

PLEASE can anyone fix this problem? Chris

qf789

Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:50 pm

debonair wrote:
I am going nuts...

I would like to follow some topics without posting - how can I mark/highlight these (in the past it was a star-sign)?

Also, I am desperate looking for some topics I posted in without adding "Notify me when a reply is posted" (as I received far too much notifications). So, I used the fancy "User Control Panel" > Show your posts > and voilà: "Information Sorry, search could not be performed. More information about this failure has been logged in the error log."!! :grumpy:

Ive reported the problem with the developers, hopefully it will be fixed soon

qf789

Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:14 am

qf789 wrote:
debonair wrote:
I am going nuts...

Ive reported the problem with the developers, hopefully it will be fixed soon

The search function has been fixed

speedbored

Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:31 pm

Would it be possible to change the "New posts", "Unread posts", "Unanswered topics" and "Active topics" quick links to omit anything in Non-Av?

Most of us are here for aviation related topics and these views of all of the forums together would be far more useful without the clutter of Non-Av.