Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Barbro

Re: Airliners.net Site Upgrade Announcement & Discussion

Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:23 am

Wouldn't it be great if we had the 'statistics' available to contributors...?

airkas1

Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:54 am

Which statistics?

Barbro

Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:01 pm

Statistics about photos. Used to be on the old site. You know, how many photos you have uploaded per year, top 20 types, companies, etc.

airkas1

Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:19 pm

Yeah, I know. Just wanted to be sure we would both be talking about the same thing.
It's actually on the list (has been for a while), but not sure if/when it will get implemented.

terrywade

Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:59 pm

Will we ever get back the acceptance ratio statistic back, this was promised ages ago?

Since the new site was implemented the amount of hits for per image appear poor, compared to identical images of mine on other popular aviation photography websites?

Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:52 am

Hi,

I am sure it has been brought up, but I can't find it anywhere.
Ever since the new Site appeared, there are 2 Airports available for Frankfurt:

- Frankfurt (FRA / EDDF)
- Frankfurt am Main (Rhein-Main AB) (FRA / EDDF / FRF)

I stick to the second as this was the one used on the old side and the official name is Frankfurt am Main. One could argue though that the Airbase (in brackets) was closed over 10 years a go, so apparently that's why a lot of People used the first one. I actually had a quick look and from the latest Uploads, roughly 50% seem to use the first one and the other 50% the second one.
This is rather annoying as I like to click through the shots of my home Airport (and others as well) and normally you will miss out 50%.

Will that be revised anytime?

Additonally it would be very good, if clicking on the photographers' Name would finally lead to his gallery (newest shots) and not his Profile, that isn't of particular interest.

Thanks,
Julien

airkas1

Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:49 am

Hey Julien,

Both items are on the list and will get fixed eventually. But when, I have no idea. The list is still quite extensive and also full with items that aren't a 'quick fix'. The duplicate airports thing is something the editors need to fix, but they don't have the tools to do so at the moment. I would imagine that all photos taken at either will be corrected to the correct entry once they have all their tools and can also batch process.

The photographer name link is on the list as well. I would imagine that this is a quick fix, but again I don't know when the developer will get around to it. VS/Paul/developer have compiled a list of most urgent fixes and this one isn't on it I believe. But I'm sure we'll get around to it :)

Thanks anyway for reporting!

GoSharks

Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:38 am

Are the timestamps ever going to be fixed? On the default settings, I see "moments ago" spanning at least 7 hours worth of posts, and when I set the timezone to my timezone (UTC -7), everything shows as "last year."

I can't even go back to "moments ago" now that I changed the timezone setting.

JohnKrist
Head Support

Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:24 pm

GoSharks, it's not the time zone, it's the format

This is what it looks like for me
https://imageshack.us/i/poRKbXysp

And

https://imageshack.us/i/pmQo11i0p

GoSharks

Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:09 pm

Well that's the only thing that I can touch... even if I log out it still shows "moments ago" for stuff that is half a day old. And while logged in, everything on the first page of topics shows "last year" for me currently.

Any fixes for this?

http://imgur.com/l43FD17

JohnKrist
Head Support

Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:13 pm

Your time format is HH:mm AM, it should be the same here:
ucp.php?i=179

GoSharks

Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:23 pm

JohnKrist wrote:
Your time format is HH:mm AM, it should be the same here:
ucp.php?i=179

I put that into the custom date format. No change.

JohnKrist
Head Support

Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:21 am

Should not need to use custom, there are two selections that has your time format, but different date format. Try those

dutchspotter1

Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:22 am

Is it just me, or does it feel like ages before any (visible) improvements are being implemented? I doubt if your bug list/to-do list has gotten any shorter over the last few months.
I'm talking about the website (search engine, photo albums, photographer statistics, etc) rather than the forums.

JohnKrist
Head Support

Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:14 am

Visible changes, just a few small things. As far as I know we are working on some details including the unified header that has been missing since the blue theme came back. Other than that a lot of backend is being done

ghost77

Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:27 am

Its an aviation PICTURES site...

Are you thinking on making bigger the thumbnails?

Size is terrible... I wished they've never change Airliners.net...

Forums are terrible too... nothing like before...

JohnKrist
Head Support

Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:25 am

ghost77 wrote:
Its an aviation PICTURES site...

Yes, and an aviation forum site

ghost77 wrote:
Are you thinking on making bigger the thumbnails?

Size is terrible... I wished they've never change Airliners.net...

We have, on the old site thumbnails were less than 150 pixels wide, now they are 300. A thumbnail is a teaser, not for image viewing. If we had not changed the site, Airliners.net would probably die due to maintenance issues. You can't drive a broken down rusty Chevette just because you like the looks of it...

ghost77 wrote:
Forums are terrible too... nothing like before...

Terrible? The forum is not what it was, I agree, but not all is for worse. It works and behaves like most foras on the internet and IMO it is very easy to use, lenient on the eye. The small extras we had on the old forum is on the to do list and will be implemented if it is technically possible.
And maybe you could elaborate on what's so terrible?

ghost77

Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:09 pm

We have, on the old site thumbnails were less than 150 pixels wide, now they are 300. A thumbnail is a teaser, not for image viewing. If we had not changed the site, Airliners.net would probably die due to maintenance issues. You can't drive a broken down rusty Chevette just because you like the looks of it...

Really? I don't think so... or I'm stupid... on the "normal" browsing it shows...

0px × 0px (scaled to 152px × 102px)

That's the way I like to see things, with captions and some important comments that go along with the picture...

I liked the way it was before, all pictures in a single column aligned to the left... seeing two columns makes it hard to the mind... why are books written or many important signs start from LEFT to RIGHT.

https://www.nngroup.com/articles/horizo ... eans-left/

https://conversionxl.com/10-useful-find ... -websites/

If I click on the right squares to see bigger pictures yes, I do have bigger thumbnails... but you can't read captions...

0px × 0px (scaled to 315px × 210px)

I believe, we should again visualize pictures as the old site and 300px thumbnails would be a great improvement.

As for the forum, it was very easy before to read all headers... there weren't "dead" spaces... now fonts are too big... and profiles to the left are too big and a distraction...

This is my forum and it's easier to read more threads!

http://www.flyapm.com/foro/viewforum.php?f=2

g77

JohnKrist
Head Support

Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:50 am

Ricardo, obviously something is wrong with the way you check the thumbnails. How do you scale a 0px image?

ghost77

Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:14 am

Ok, this is how I see it...

http://imgur.com/a/8F0Sl

My screen res is 1920x1080.

g77

BTW, I got written yesterday the following e-mail trying to take me to planepictures.net is that ok to do?

<<<<<<<<<<

Email: (removed)

Subject: Upload

Hey Ricardo,

I really do like your photos uploaded here. The quality and diversity amazes me a lot!
As a member of the PlanePictures.net screening Team I&#039;d of course be blessed if I might convince you to contribute some of your pictures to our Database as well!

The Database exists since 2001, and what I personally like a lot is the easy design and usage of our Database. Our main advantage is a quite short screening time of only 1-2 days and our reputation is currently mainly focused in Europe, however we of course would like to spread our knowledge futher around the globe.

Maybe you&#039;ve even had a glimpse on our database during some google researches? :-)

Thanks for your time and for sharing your incredible results for others in the web!

If you got any questions don&#039;t hesitate to contact me!

Best Regards from Cologne, Germany
Timo

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Photo ID: #4434115
Airline: AeroUnion
Aircraft: Airbus A300B4-203(F)
Location: Mexico City (- Licenciado Benito Juarez International) (MEX / MMMX)
REG: XA-MRC
MSN: 247
Taken: April 02, 2017
Views: 50
Link: https://www.airliners.net/photo/AeroUnio ... -F/4434115
File: https://imgproc.airliners.net/photos/air ... c98e96694c

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sincerely,

The Airliners.net Crew
https://www.airliners.net
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Last edited by atcsundevil on Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Email address removed

dutchspotter1

Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:15 am

OFF-TOPIC: I received the same email from Timo Jager (haven't responded yet).

airkas1

Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:03 am

It's a bit off-topic for this thread, but perfectly fine to upload to more than 1 site. Many people do, many don't. Up to personal preference. Each site has their pros and cons and up to the photographer to make a decision on that.

However of course we would like people to still upload here as well if they make a decision to move to multiple sites.

JohnKrist
Head Support

Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:33 pm

airkas1 wrote:
It's a bit off-topic for this thread, but perfectly fine to upload to more than 1 site. Many people do, many don't. Up to personal preference. Each site has their pros and cons and up to the photographer to make a decision on that.

However of course we would like people to still upload here as well if they make a decision to move to multiple sites.

Of course you can upload to more sites than Anet, however I would ban Timo for spamming as I do not agree to promotion competing sites using our PM system.

scbriml

Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:38 am

JohnKrist wrote:
Of course you can upload to more sites than Anet, however I would ban Timo for spamming as I do not agree to promotion competing sites using our PM system.

To be clear, it's an email sent via the 'contact photographer' link.

I'm disappointed now as I thought I got that email because he liked my photos so much! :wink2:

NeBaNi

Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:17 pm

Sorry I haven't been following this thread for the past couple of months, and may have missed out on an update to this but:
Is there progress being made on displaying airport/ airline names when you hover over the two-/ three-letter codes? Is this still on the table?
Thanks for all the work you do, mods!

PlaneInsomniac

Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:47 pm

NeBaNi wrote:
Sorry I haven't been following this thread for the past couple of months, and may have missed out on an update to this but:
Is there progress being made on displaying airport/ airline names when you hover over the two-/ three-letter codes? Is this still on the table?

Realistically, it's gone. We have waited for more than a year and never heard anything except for that it's on "the list". Get used to a.net without the mouse hover tooltips for airport/airline codes. The same goes for RU list, country flags, and a better quote functionality.

VertScopeJeff

Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:48 pm

NeBaNi wrote:

We have been working a lot behind the scenes for the screeners and uploaders.

Soon we will start on some of the front end stuff but rather have the core backbone of the site up to par before we start on smaller "features"

I think since acquisition we have checked 40+ items off the Squawk Sheet.

Jeff M

NeBaNi

Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:22 pm

VertScopeJeff wrote:
NeBaNi wrote:

We have been working a lot behind the scenes for the screeners and uploaders.

Soon we will start on some of the front end stuff but rather have the core backbone of the site up to par before we start on smaller "features"

I think since acquisition we have checked 40+ items off the Squawk Sheet.
Jeff M

Thanks for the info! Is there any way you could make the Squawk Sheet available to the forum, so that we all can track progress and so on? :)

SAHSA

Sun Jul 30, 2017 3:51 am

Will we be able to edit our personal photo albums again?

VertScopeJeff

Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:45 pm

SAHSA wrote:
Will we be able to edit our personal photo albums again?

What info do you want to edit, I can see if it is on the list.

Jeff M

dutchspotter1

Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:47 pm

Delete and move photos within an album (at least that's what I'm still waiting for).

PanAm_DC10
Community Manager

Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:13 am

dutchspotter1 wrote:
Delete and move photos within an album (at least that's what I'm still waiting for).

Hi

As Jeff noted we're still working a lot on the backend features of the site and making good progress. Unfortunately updating the albums will take a little bit of time due to this thanks for your patience as we work through the backend and try to get rid of offending advertisements.

Regards

Paul

dutchspotter1

Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:26 pm

I just found out about the addition of EXIF data while uploading photos: fantastic :)
Two points of improvement:
*Any chance of having the box "ticked" in stead of "unticked" as a default setting? Ideally this would be something each photographer can adjust for himself as some kind of preference on their profile settings page.
*In the photo conrer, when I look at my screening queue photos, either on the "edit" or "detail" pages, I can't see whether or not the EXIF data will be displayed when accepted (i.e. to check whether or not I ticked the box while uploading).

airkas1

Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:16 pm

Hi Joost,

We have a thread going about it in the photography subforum. I will answer you there.
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1370789

HarryLi
Screener

Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:32 pm

Hi ,
I have a problem recently , i can't follow anyone in this site. When i click " Follow" it returns to origin immediately. I don't whether is a bug for me or not ? Or maybe there is some limitation of the number of following people ?

Cheers,
Harry

Aircellist

Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:41 pm

From times to times, I receive a note on the notification bell about something I subscribed to long ago. The notification says that someone contributed to a thread, like, 10 hrs ago. Then I try to go to the thread and find it locked two years ago, and the new contribution is not listed.

Happened again for this thread:
viewtopic.php?t=598089&view=unread#unread

qf789

Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:15 pm

Aircellist wrote:
From times to times, I receive a note on the notification bell about something I subscribed to long ago. The notification says that someone contributed to a thread, like, 10 hrs ago. Then I try to go to the thread and find it locked two years ago, and the new contribution is not listed.

Happened again for this thread:
viewtopic.php?t=598089&view=unread#unread

The thread you refer was only locked today. You can always turn the bookmarks off for those threads that you don't want the notifications from

dmmattphotog

Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:35 am

Testing...

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

dutchspotter1

Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:02 pm

Good day,

I have a small issue with the search engine. When I select category Passenger, I still see cargo aircraft. Please see below screenshot:

Hopefully this can be fixed soon, thanks!

Kind regards,

Joost

dxmekch

Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:27 pm

Good evening (at least in europe),

I'm more or less a new user of airliners.net. During the past 4 months I recognized some "minor" issues.

First: [Upload Feature/b] If I upload a picture and search for the airport, in some cases there is more than one airport displayed. For example the output of [b]LSZH is:
Zurich (-Kloten) (ZRH / LSZH)
Zurich (- Kloten) (ZRH / LSZH)
the difference of those two "values" is only the additional/missing space between the "dash" - and "Kloten".
In noticed this for a few more airports, but actually I only remember LSGG (Geneva).

Second: Profile If I add my homepage, save it and reload the site, the "Website" field is blank again and the hyperlink value deleted (I guess this value doesn't get added correctly to the databse or equal).

Best regards,
Dominik

SamYeager2016

Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:03 pm

dxmekch wrote:
Second: Profile If I add my homepage, save it and reload the site, the "Website" field is blank again and the hyperlink value deleted (I guess this value doesn't get added correctly to the databse or equal).

Best regards,

I believe, for reasons I've never really understood, that you have two profiles. One under the forum and the other on the home page. IIRC the profile on the home page is the only profile where certain things can be done. No doubt somebody will be along shortly to give more details.

dutchspotter1

Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:22 pm

dxmekch wrote:
First: Upload Feature If I upload a picture and search for the airport, in some cases there is more than one airport displayed. For example the output of LSZH is:
Zurich (-Kloten) (ZRH / LSZH)
Zurich (- Kloten) (ZRH / LSZH)
the difference of those two "values" is only the additional/missing space between the "dash" - and "Kloten".
In noticed this for a few more airports, but actually I only remember LSGG (Geneva).

May airports have this problem. Would be great if somebody could start cleaning up that database and remove those double entries.

airkas1

Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:25 pm

The problem is that at the moment (to my best knowledge), the editors are unable to fix this issue in batches. Batch processing is high on the prio list, but not solved yet.

dxmekch

Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:52 pm

Seems like one month later the profiles aren't updated. The add my website field still doesn't work.

And regarding to privacy and data security it might be worth to implement https.

Cheers

SabreHog

Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:12 pm

Is the data corrections system not working? I've submitted some corrections for airport format several times and they remain unchanged.

I just noticed this as well, why is the EXIF data displayed in a fractional format?:

https://imgur.com/a/uVl3b

dmmatt
Crew

Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:33 pm

Test post. Please disregard.

tan1mill

Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:06 pm

Has there been any update on if/when our personal photo statistics will return? I miss that feature and haven't heard anything about it since it was last mentioned 8 months ago (see top of this page).

DEKRC

Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:27 pm

I also miss this feature and am still waiting...

Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:09 am

Something I find annoying is on the main forum list page:

index.php

Beside each forum are the details of the most recent post, what the title is, who wrote the most recent reply, and how many hours ago the reply was.

For example:

Re: Court rules in favor of K…
by mjoelnir 11 hours ago

You cannot click "11 hours ago" - it goes nowhere. You should be able to click that and be taken to the most recent reply on that topic, as it does on the topics list. It would save a lot of clicking.

And something else odd, clicking on the title of the post seems to take me to the list of posts in that particular sub-forum instead of the topic.

SomebodyInTLS

Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:45 pm

cpd wrote:
You cannot click "11 hours ago" - it goes nowhere. You should be able to click that and be taken to the most recent reply on that topic, as it does on the topics list. It would save a lot of clicking.

And something else odd, clicking on the title of the post seems to take me to the list of posts in that particular sub-forum instead of the topic.

Similarly, I wish the "your posts" list (and maybe other lists in the hamburger menu, haven't checked) would let you go to the first unread post by clicking the icon next to the topic title - like you can from the normal forum indices. At the moment I have to load the first page of each thread then load the first unread page one by one in a second round of clicking. Quite a waste of time.