Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

moderators
Topic Author

Airliners.net Site Upgrade Announcement & Discussion

Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:56 am

Since 1995, Airliners.net has been the largest and most visited aviation site on the internet with world class photography, forums, and visitors.

It is with great honor to introduce you to the new Airliners.net which has been a long time in the making and something you've been asking for over the years. It's finally here and we're pleased to share it with you and we hope you'll enjoy it just as much as the previous site.

You'll notice the new homepage layout which contains all the regular features you're used to such as the Top 5 photos of the day, Photographers' Choice, banner news, Top photographers', Right Now in the Forum and the latest news. Search can now be accessed via the drop-down photo menu.

We've upgraded the Forums to operate off phpBB, which should make the forum experience a lot better for you especially when it comes to searching for topics. You'll notice also a like button for a photo now and you can also follow your favorite other members and friends.

As this was such a large task there maybe some bugs and no doubt you'll have questions about the new look site so we would like to use this thread where you can discuss the changes and any issues you may encounter. Our developers are monitoring the thread 24x7 and will resolve any bugs that are raised.

We are committed to maintaining our position as the #1 aviation photography site, and to continue introducing our talented photographers from over 171 countries to aviation enthusiasts around the globe.

Many thanks to the engineers and crew for their support and dedication to redesign. We could not have done this without you.

Lastly, We'd like to thank you for your continued support of our photographers' and the site and we trust that you enjoy it.

Enjoy the new site and don’t forget to sign up for our newsletter!

larshjort

Re: Airliners.net Site Upgrade Announcement & Discussion

Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:37 pm

I sure hope it looks better on a phone or tablet than on my laptop.

And forum search doesn't seem to work I get the following message when typing 'Lockheed' in the civ av forum search box:
Sorry, search could not be performed. More information about this failure has been logged in the error log.

/Lars

aloges

Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:39 pm

Holy smokes, that is one big lump of changes! I'm curious to see how it works out.

sandyb123

Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:40 pm

Good to see the site finally become responsive. Couple of thoughts:

• logging in not obvious / easy
• I am still getting adverts when logged in
• lots of empty space horizontal scrolling on mobile
• scrolling frames in forum V annoying

Anyway much needed modernisation but please keep the improvements coming.

Sandyb123

Western727

Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:40 pm

Thank you, A.net team, for your work! At first glance I find myself missing the blue background, since it was perfect for bedtime reading. :D

And...surely I'm not alone in having "suffered" from withdrawal from this site. So nice to have it back. More input to come.

YellowRibbon

Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:41 pm

What is the new favicon supposed to represent? An aircraft or stylized DAL Widget?

I'm starting to miss the old scheme already...
Last edited by YellowRibbon on Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

golfradio

Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:44 pm

How do I set the number of topics per page? The new default is too small and will introduce a lot of page clicks. It's going to be hard to see topics.

Ughhh ... I already miss the old site.
Last edited by golfradio on Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

scbriml

Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:44 pm

sandyb123 wrote:
Good to see the site finally become responsive. Couple of thoughts:

• logging in not obvious / easy
• I am still getting adverts when logged in

Ads for me as well. :shock:

sudden

Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:47 pm

These are not changes, but a whole new site. Not to say it's bad but a a question of getting used to.
But would have been nice to see some of the good old Anet shine through in the new version.
Was actually going to ask for a "Home" icon but found it when clicking AIRLINERS
Last edited by sudden on Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A350

Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:48 pm

The headers are very big at least at my laptop, overall they take more height than the posts themselves.
Furthermore: how can I switch off the pagination?

Cipango

Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:50 pm

Nice to see a fresh, new design. Good job!

One thing though that I instantly miss is the "star" next to topics that you follow or have posted in. It made it instantly obvious where the relevant topics were.

Shame to see that go.

Western727

Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:50 pm

I definitely miss the RR (respect rating). It was very helpful in scrolling down and ignoring the "zeros" when desired. Unless I'm missing something?

c933103

Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:51 pm

As one of the newest member on the site (less than 1 month old), I find the upgrade make the forum lost its unique charm in style and become like any other regular forum...

Edit: It seems to eat more ram than before?
Last edited by c933103 on Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Oykie

Congratulations to all involved in todays upgrade! I generally like the layout. It seems much more modern and up to date than it have been. If Airliners.net was ever to be upgraded, this is the way to do it. Hats of to everyone!

Heinkel

Sorry, but the old website was much easier to read. That pale whitish/blueish new design with the pale grey letters may look modern but is hard to read, especially for an old fart like me. May be I need new glasses...

PA110

Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:52 pm

It would appear that the Site Related forum no longer appears in the Forum drop-down list. If it weren't for the welcome banner, I'm guessing users would have never found their way here.

Edit: It would appear that despite the presence of a SUBMIT button, the old format of previewing and then submitting must be followed. Any attempt to Submit on first draft simply refreshes the screen. At least that my experience just a moment ago.
Last edited by PA110 on Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

alberchico

Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:52 pm

Is there any way to view all the post in a thread at once instead of having to constantly click to get to the next page ?

s5daw

Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:53 pm

I really don't get it why sites think they need new skin. I liked airliners.net just as it was. With dark blue color and magnificant 747 on the front page...

I actually stopped reading a fairly good local news site due to miserable "update" to look and feel. This seems similar.

tp1040

Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:54 pm

Look at all the white space, were they giving that away for free?

RED topic headers DO NOT reverse well out of WHITE
Easier to read in more contrast.

AAlaxfan

Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:54 pm

Miss the star feature. I don't want to scroll through multiple pages to get to the topics that were of interest to me.

Polot

Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:55 pm

1) There appears to be no way to get to the site related forum other than thru the link you posted. Its not on the drop down menu at the top and I can't find any other way to switch forums.

2) Making the poster's Username more prominent would be nice. Hard to quickly see who you are reading.

FlyPIJets

Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:55 pm

The photo search function has lost a lot of usability. Cant search by location, can't search by year of photo, can't search by aircraft type. Can't search by airline. That is awful. I mean if you have a site that curates aircraft photos, accessing those photo is something you should be good at.

blueangel5

Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:56 pm

Not happy at all about seeing ads in forum view.

Capt.Fantastic

Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:57 pm

Was this designed for smart phones? ...because, on the desktop, it looks awful.
With the previous format, you could see everything at a glance - top photos, forums, news.. Not so now.
Also, the classic blue background was easy on the eyes and quite iconic of the website. This "white" is generic.
I prefer the previous format.. please bring it back!

c933103

Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:57 pm

PA110 wrote:
It would appear that the Site Related forum no longer appears in the Forum drop-down list. If it weren't for the welcome banner, I'm guessing users would have never found their way here.

Edit: It would appear that despite the presence of a SUBMIT button, the old format of previewing and then submitting must be followed. Any attempt to Submit on first draft simply refreshes the screen. At least that my experience just a moment ago.

It seems like you will need to read other's post before submitting your post if someone else replied before you do after you start writing your own reply. And that can happen multiple times consecutively for a single reply.

inflightVideo

Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:58 pm

I really like the new interface. Really nice to see the new features too.

One thing I noticed though that you may want to look at - I'm sure like many I usually get to the forums by typing the old URLS (/discussions/general_aviation). At the moment they give a rather ugly 404 error that may lead users to think they site is down. Perhaps you could put a redirect up, or customize the 404 to be a friendly message informing folk about the new site?

twosevenright

Some adverts are still quite invasive and get in the way of photos and also text on the forum so much so you cant read the start or the finish of what someone has typed.

Also is it me or has the picture quality gone down?

nimool

Wow that is a big change to A.net !
right now I prefer the old version, but maybe need to get used to it!
it looks all new like need to find my way around.

Syrupy

Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:59 pm

I'm not sure if this whole new site is that much of an improvement. It is probably a matter of getting used to it, but just a little touch up of the old looks to keep the basics as they are known to so many of us, would have been up for much more positive reactions.

TVNWZ

Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:00 pm

Looks like you are trying. But, more contrast is needed. Difficult to read. And the quoting feature does not appear to work as before . You have to quote the whole post and then edit from there. Just takes longer and more cumbersome to quote specific items in posts to reply to.

jeffh747

How do I see my starred/bookmarked threads from before, as well as threads that I started? I have quite a few trip reports that I posted but can't find anywhere because the search feature is not working.

PA110

c933103 wrote:
PA110 wrote:

It seems like you will need to read other's post before submitting your post if someone else replied before you do after you start writing your own reply. And that can happen multiple times consecutively for a single reply.

Yikes! That's not going to be a whole lot of fun on a busy topic. I imagine quite a few will get frustrated and abandon participation if that's not fixed quickly.

YellowRibbon

Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:01 pm

c933103 wrote:
PA110 wrote:

Well, as stated earlier, perhaps this could be avoided by having the option for a single page. I too am now getting sick of this refresh...

kokpedro

Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:02 pm

Test post.
Site speed and functionality ok on this side.

burnsie28

Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:03 pm

Forums took a HUGE downgrade, everything went from being able to see it on one page to having to click to the next one. Looks like the rest of the forums out there that are all the same.

As for the main page, not a fan myself, the top images are over sized that I have to scroll to see the entire image (doesn't fit onto and no, I don't have the browser zoomed it, its at its standard 100%).

Never understood the massive move on websites to this blend everything together white. Just my 2 cents.

NeBaNi

Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:05 pm

alberchico wrote:
Is there any way to view all the post in a thread at once instead of having to constantly click to get to the next page ?

Seconded! It was so much more convenient to just have everything on one page.

I also miss the feature where you could just go to the last unread post (the newest post that you hadn't read yet) on a topic. That feature was immensely helpful for long threads that I was following. Could we please bring back that feature?

ZaphodHarkonnen

Well that's different. Will have to see what it's like for a week before critiquing.

sudenmorsian

burnsie28 wrote:
Forums took a HUGE downgrade, everything went from being able to see it on one page to having to click to the next one. Looks like the rest of the forums out there that are all the same.

As for the main page, not a fan myself, the top images are over sized that I have to scroll to see the entire image (doesn't fit onto and no, I don't have the browser zoomed it, its at its standard 100%).

Never understood the massive move on websites to this blend everything together white. Just my 2 cents.

I prefer the new site layout, especially on mobile; I always found it a bit annoying to have to select "display all posts" in every thread — this was the one site where I had to do so.

I agree with you with the white theme, it'd be great if there was a "dark" (or blue :P) theme in the future. :)

honzad8

Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:06 pm

Unfortunatelly very bad change. It looks blurry, diffused - why the world goes in the direction of one picture per site... Previous site was much clearer with all information on it and not needed to scroll like hell :-(

honzad8

Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:07 pm

Wheres the button top last 24hrs/48hrs etc?

Indy

Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:07 pm

I hope you guys didn't actually pay for this. It is pretty bad. Bring back the old site. This is just sloppy and the color choices are poor.

ber1605

Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:08 pm

Too bad that the users and photographers were not allowed to give some input for improvements. I don't want to obstruct further development, but the trademark of a clear site with its classic design is gone. It now looks more like one of thousand replaceable blogs. Furthermore, the quality of the pictures, once a flagship of airliners.net, decreased massively. The pictures look like compressed by Facebook: https://www.airliners.net/photo/germany- ... 0d/2831407

In my opinion the current updated site does not meet the requirements of the (former?) users at all. I hope for quick and serious changes and improvements. Otherwise a temporary comeback of the old site would be best option to keep the loyal customers.

larshjort

Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:08 pm

post a clickable link?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScDjyS7SYZU

https://www.avherald.com

Holy F... it sis annyoung not being able to post a post

AirPacific747

Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:09 pm

Oh noooo! I dare the owners to start a survey amongst users about which design they prefer. Why fix it if it ain't broken?

You could tell that the previous owner - Johan - truly had a passion for aviation and for the website. Now it's close to being ruined by a commercial business that seems to me like it doesn't care about aviation, only profits. Very sad development!

Wingtip1005

Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:09 pm

As has been mentioned by many users, the new forum is a complete shock to the system!

At first look, the missing starred topics and clicking through page after page are steps in the wrong direction IMHO.

Looks sleek, and certainly fitting with Apple's iOS (of which I use).

There's always teething problems with changes, and many are set in their ways, so a change like this always splits the camp...

Please remove the pages from the forum, that was one of my favourite features!

kiwiandrew

Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:11 pm

Well, I guess any change will take some getting used to.

Hopefully it's less 'buggy' than the old site, but I really hope the pagination can be switched off - it's a nuisance. I'd rather be able to scroll through a particular thread than have to keep changing pages . Hopefully they have fixed what was actually broken, not just the stuff that wasn't broken.

I guess I'll need to give it a couple of weeks ( old fogies like me don't really like change a lot).

durangomac

Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:11 pm

I like the new site except that I feel everything but photos are washed out, it really makes it hard to read things in the forums.

I do like the layout, I would like to tweak the forums a bit but overall I'm happy with the changes.

PlaneInsomniac

Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:12 pm

Terrible upgrade. I cannot at the moment access a.net on Firefox (on Windows 10). The entire forum is covered by a static ad (with 50 Cent no less), which does not move and makes it impossible for me to enter any thread. (I am posting using Microsoft Edge now, which I normally never use.) I just realized the forum software automatically capitalizes some nouns, which is incorrect and looks terrible.

Terrible, terrible, terrible. Please revert and/or redo.

Also, why on earth does the forum show a skull (!) as my "avatar"?
Last edited by PlaneInsomniac on Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Indy

This site is a joke now. Sorry guys. I've been a member for a very long time and this is just a new low for the site. This looks like every other trashy site out there. It stinks to navigate and the forums are uncomfortable to read. Just terrible color choices. Bad layout. Bad spacing. Overall you get an F for this performance. If you want to have a version that is strictly mobile then fine but this is horrible for anything else. Bring back your old version or watch your traffic numbers decline rapidly.

redzeppelin

burnsie28 wrote:

"HUGE" may be a bit dramatic, but I agree in that my first reaction is negative. The loss of information density on each page is tragic.
I know that there were many who frequently complained about the old site. Perhaps the supporters should have been more vocal. My one and only complaint about the old forum site was the hopeless search function. Everything else about it was perfect.