juanantz

Re: Airliners.net Site Upgrade Announcement & Discussion

Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:13 pm

I've been visiting this site since 1999 almost on a daily basis. I remember sleepless nights browsing pictures on the database and reading the comments. It works better than counting sheeps for me.

The old desing could have its flaws, no doubt, but it was visually perfect, practical, easy to use and everybode was used to it.

The best thing I can say about the new desing is that I just can't stand it. :cry:

airkas1
Head Screener

Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:26 pm

PlaneInsomniac

Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:55 pm

Great somebody is listening, but the proposed improvements are not nearly enough. Simply going back to a darker color scheme will not do the trick. Once again, some of the most urgent defects that still remain:
- where is my RU list and everbody's RR rating?
- terrible skull avatar
- national flag / date of joining / number of posts missing
- airport / airline tooltip boxes missing
- paid membership status (e.g., first class) has simply disappeared?
- wasteful discussion layout both on desktop and on mobile; a few single-line comments fill up an entire screen on desktop and several screens on mobile
- ads everywhere, even for members who used to have paid memberships
- terrible mismatched ads for shoes, summer clothing etc.

Also, why do I have a "profile" with "followers"/"following" AND and a "control panel" with "friends" and "foes"? The number of internal inconsistencies and bugs the new site has is ridiculous. Are we really supposed to beta-test all this as the long-time members who used to pay for membership?
Last edited by PlaneInsomniac on Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Am I cured? Slept 5 hours on last long-haul flight...

PlaneInsomniac

Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:59 pm

benjjk wrote:
I'm sure this is a great upgrade for mobile users, but I on on PC and I hate the new forums. I'm going to try and be constructive instead of just having a whinge.

I like the front page, lots of big pictures to grab your attention. Scrolling through photos is good for the same reason, but when I open the photo to see a larger version of it, I wish I didn't have to scroll so far down to see the caption. Also in the same screen it would be good to just click the right arrow and see the next photo on that list (of, for example, top photos of the last 7 days), instead of just the other ones from the same photographer.

The colour scheme of the forums makes it too hard to read. Also it used to be so easy to quote selected text, and text from multiple posts, but I haven't figured out how to do that yet. I miss how compact it was but in time I'm sure I will adjust.

It's a shame because the forums now feel very generic. Though the option of having a profile photo is good.

Well, it also seems there is no "quote selected", so another useful functionality removed....

Anyway, I wanted to respond to "I'm sure this is a great upgrade for mobile users": That's the problem - it does not even work on mobile. The amount of scrolling I have to do on my smartphone now is ridiculous.

JohnKrist
Head Support

Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:05 pm

Tugger wrote:
Why are you taking this personal and to an extreme comparison?

This made it personal, to which I responded that I have been through events that are far worse than some airport guard.

aloges wrote:
I'm pretty sure you don't know how it feels to be stopped by e.g. an Iranian airport security guard and get told to hand over your iPhone, so let me tell you: it's not nice.

That said, I have the highest respect for those photographers, I just do not appreciate "attacks" on my persona over something in this thread. And this is the end of this dicussion.

On with the constructive critisism and suggestions for changes on the site :)
5D Mark III, 7D, 17-40 F4 L, 70-200 F2.8 L IS II, Canon 50mm 1.4, Sigma 50mm 1.4 ART, Sigma 105mm 1.4 ART, EF 1.4x II, EF 2x III, SPEEDLITE 600EX-RT

PlaneInsomniac

Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:11 pm

Um, also I now find that it is impossible to jump to a quoted post?

How are we supposed to have a discussion then at all? Do I have to quote the entire preceding sub-thread into my reply every single time?

Sorry, but this is getting worse the more I look at it.

danman132x

Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:16 pm

My quick opinion from using it a couple days it's that it's not user friendly at all really. Really need a dark theme, but going down the forums reading threads is a pain. The user names are top big and take up too much space. With the old way, it was much easier to read an entire thread. Now it's pages upon pages . Loved how before you could read 25 at a time and have the rest small. Much easier on mobile and computer. I don't like this at all. I can see it negatively impacting the site. Looks like every other forum now. Before it had a unique feel and look. The classic airliners. Net. Please at least have the option to revert to the old style. And put all posts on the same page!! It's a huge pain to sort through so many posts this way.

wdanelon

Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:31 pm

I see watermarks when I'm logged in... Please solve this issue! I love the site! Thanks!

cpd

Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:29 pm

One thing you can do with the homepage is to use the zoom-out function of your browser, that will give you a bit more information on screen and remove the need to scroll down.

alberchico

Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:29 pm

There is a silver lining to this. For years whenever any complaints were made to DM about the website's glitches the response was always '' well this is an ancient platform and we can't risk making any big changes".

Now with a modern new platform DM no longer has any excuses. Any issues or changes that can improve the user experience can and must be promptly dealt with WITHOUT ANY EXCUSES !!!
short summary of every jewish holiday: they tried to kill us ,we won , lets eat !

SpaceshipDC10

Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:40 pm

PlaneInsomniac wrote:
Simply going back to a darker color scheme will not do the trick.

My eyes will be more than happy to have that already. I loved that feature on the old site.

PlaneInsomniac wrote:
Once again, some of the most urgent defects that still remain:
- where is my RU list and everbody's RR rating?

Really that urgent?

PlaneInsomniac wrote:
- terrible skull avatar

I agree with you there.

PlaneInsomniac wrote:
- national flag / date of joining / number of posts missing

I guess the first is the most important of all three for me, then comes the number of posts.

PlaneInsomniac wrote:
- paid membership status (e.g., first class) has simply disappeared?

Yes.

PlaneInsomniac wrote:
- ads everywhere, even for members who used to have paid memberships
- terrible mismatched ads for shoes, summer clothing etc.

As you say, you used to have a paid membership. Have you heard of adblocker? Works great, here and elsewhere.

alberchico

Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:45 pm

I saw this on another thread I thought I'd repost :

"I'm not sure what the strange triangle widget sort of thing on the browser tab is supposed to be. At first glance, I thought I was it an Arabic language site tab."

Well it does make the tab look very unique doesn't it :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
short summary of every jewish holiday: they tried to kill us ,we won , lets eat !

DHMurphy

Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:27 pm

The guys who put in such fantastic work over the years to make this unique site about aircraft deserve the highest praise. Now, the software Triffids have taken over; the one thing I come here to find and enjoy on this site - aircraft photos - have been so trivialised as to be a mere afterthought. Where are they and how do I get to them all as I used to? There are hundreds of thousands and now I have to search through them one at a time trying to find what was instantly available before?

kevin

Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:38 pm

Really dislike the new version. It's not about getting used to, it's about comfort. The old site was a breeze to navigate. I just do not get that feeling here.

B52overSMF

Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:53 pm

While I certainly like the new lines and general style of the upgraded website, I find that the quick readability of it has been diminished. In order to see the caption for a photo, I have to scroll down a full screen or more. Cruising through the forums takes MUCH more scrolling. I really appreciated the compactness of the previous version of the website. Additionally, more contrast between headers and text (i.e. a different background color) of forum posts would be nice so as to be able to jump from text of a post to the text of another post (visually) easier and faster. Plus, I think the headers of each post are MUCH too big.

oosnowrat

Fri Jun 17, 2016 12:26 am

I miss the feature that collapsed/skipped all the posts I have already read.

It's obnoxious scrolling all the way to the bottom of a multi page thread to get to the links to jump pages within a thread.

Aither

Fri Jun 17, 2016 1:48 am

Dear A.net team, I saw you're looking for a theme. Our website is using one based on phpBB 3.1 which looks quite similar to the one you had before. As I said a few days ago, I can give you a link so you can see it. It will obviously require some adjustment to your needs but it could be a good base. Just let us know.
Never trust the obvious

mariner

Fri Jun 17, 2016 2:12 am

Being not very computer literate, I've had a bit of a battle over the last few days but I've come to terms with most of it, or the things that matter to me. I can now do most of things I want to do, but there do seem to be some serious inconsistencies.

My first battle was with the wretched "skull" avatar (which looked like a Nazi emblem beside my user name) and it took some help from other members (and a moderator) to work out how to change it. Finally I got there and now I don't see the point of it at ll.

For the first day, the place for my profile photo beside each of my posts appeared as it should, the image I had uploaded. That's gone and now it's just a blank, so what's the point of having a profile photo?

I like the little message telling me that new posts have been made in threads I'm in, but I don't understand at all the difference between subscribing to a thread and book-marking a thread.

I was frustrated by the apparent lack of the edit facility but another member pointed me in the right direction and now I've used it, it's fine, and I;ve been able to help a couple of others members work out where it is..

I still find the lack of "jump to last" frustrating, especially in long threads. Presently I have to open the thread, go to the last page and scroll down. Or maybe there's a way of doing ti that I haven't figured out yet?

My biggest frustration is that the type is so difficult to read. To me, it looks like (tiny) grey on white. I've tried to work out how to change the font to black and bigger but so far, I've failed.

And the spell check function is lousy. I deliberately made some spelling mistakes as I was typing this and sometimes the little red underline would appear (with suggested corrections) and sometimes it wouldn't.

There is also something else, something intangible. The site feels "cold" and uninviting. Maybe it's the lack of the old blue background? Maybe its font and white background make the posts so difficult to read but I feel as if the computer nerds have taken over what was once a cheerful asylum.

The odd thing is that in the "compose message" box the font is dark, black(on white, and readable, but when you actually post the message in the forum it all goes ghostly - almost illegible - grey.

mariner
aeternum nauta

reality

Fri Jun 17, 2016 4:27 am

Yikes...what a disaster. Hate to see such a venerable site that I have enjoyed over the years go down like this.

mikeyg

Fri Jun 17, 2016 4:49 am

Also can we bring back the 24/48/ hour search bar.
Serial No and rego of aircraft while scrolling. To get these you have to click the photo and read below the photo.
The year bar. If you want to look at photos taken in 1975 then it should be selectable as with what decade you wish to search.

JohnKrist
Head Support

Fri Jun 17, 2016 5:02 am

alberchico wrote:
I saw this on another thread I thought I'd repost :

"I'm not sure what the strange triangle widget sort of thing on the browser tab is supposed to be. At first glance, I thought I was it an Arabic language site tab."

Well it does make the tab look very unique doesn't it :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

It's a paper plane
5D Mark III, 7D, 17-40 F4 L, 70-200 F2.8 L IS II, Canon 50mm 1.4, Sigma 50mm 1.4 ART, Sigma 105mm 1.4 ART, EF 1.4x II, EF 2x III, SPEEDLITE 600EX-RT

prgornitzka

Fri Jun 17, 2016 5:13 am

I'm here for photos, not talking, so the new forums are not a concern of mine. As for the rest of the site. It screams Windows 8 to me. Cluttered and unnecessary. I've already seen my usage of the site go down. I'm generally very open minded when it comes to change, but I can't say I'm a fan of this.

mikeyg

Fri Jun 17, 2016 5:20 am

Agree with B52 that the compactness has gone. Things like 24/48/7 days search must come back. Selecting a year like i.e. (1975) to show photos of that year and selecting a decade i.e. 1990s/1980s/1970s.
Even simple mandatory info like Serial No and Rego are not displayed on the photo unless you click it and scroll down. These need to come back.

cougar15

Fri Jun 17, 2016 5:27 am

One more thin that really bugs me as a heavy Forum user. previously when clicking on an embedded link in a post, it would open a seperate tab with that link. now when clicking on them, it goes directly to that link! could this perhaps be fixed, so the thread/Anet still remains open? yes, I could use the ´open link in new tab´ Option, but I think this is tedious & perhaps an easy one to fix?
some you lose, others you can´t win!

HGL

Fri Jun 17, 2016 5:34 am

For those viewing the site on a laptop or desk top computer there is a temporary workaround for the problem of the font size being too small.

In your browser settings you may be to zoom the page so that the words appear bigger. This will have the effect of also increasing the size of images and it will not affect the amount of white space around the posts in the thread. The universal ability to set a default font size in your browser seems to have been turned off in the web site software, otherwise you could just increase font size without impacting on image size.

Last edited by HGL on Fri Jun 17, 2016 6:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Qui omnes despicit, omnibus displicit.

Dreamflight767

Fri Jun 17, 2016 5:50 am

How do you an image to a post?

jtodd

Fri Jun 17, 2016 5:58 am

hate it hate it hate it.

JohnKrist
Head Support

Fri Jun 17, 2016 6:00 am

Dreamflight767 wrote:
How do you an image to a post?

You need to uplad it somewhere, and then add the link using the image tags that you get when clicking the photo icon in the tool section

lilxlakerbo1

Fri Jun 17, 2016 6:05 am

I'm not so sure I like it. I appreciate the effort put into it, but to me it's a little too bright. Maybe shade the background with a grey/blue of sorts instead of all-white? Navigating the website seems to be a little more challenging, but then again I guess I'm so used to the old website so maybe this will eventually grow on me. But for now, I definitely feel like the old format for photo listings was much better. I could see all aircraft information without having to click into the photo.

Wonder how Sam feels to have his Qantas 744 taken off A.net's logo? ;)

FlyingColours

Fri Jun 17, 2016 6:10 am

I've been a member here for 13 years now (been a visitor since '99) and I'm afraid to say I'm already making plans to jump ship. I've tried to get used to the design & layout of both the forums and the galleries but I just don't like it.

The Forums are one thing but the image search & galleries are a total laugh now. After having such a distinctive look it is damn near sacrilege to change the layout, it's totally messing with heads as you automatically look for details which have now been shifted. It also now looks like another website's design (no, not that one) and while that design is (well was) unique the old design from here was far better.

With regards to the forums it now looks like some cheap facebook knockoff, I like the "notification" indicator but that's it.

Phil
FlyingColours
Lifes a train racing towards you, now you can either run away or grab a chair & a beer and watch it come - Phil

iad2cdg

Fri Jun 17, 2016 6:12 am

I've been an avid user of this site since 2003, and I'm really struggling with the change. It used to be one of my three daily "must-check" websites, but no more.

The first time I saw the new layout, I thought that the site had been hacked. In my opinion, the new layout is clunky and bland and just looks amateurish. There's no cohesion between the elements on the page and the brand identity is gone. I can't really comment on functionality because I haven't been able to bring myself to get that far into the site. I appreciate that a significant amount of work has gone into this re-design, but it doesn't work for me. This is the second time I've tried to look through the site since the upgrade, and it will be my last for a while. I'll probably check back periodically to see if it's "fixed," but it's no longer a daily destination.

N1120A

Fri Jun 17, 2016 6:27 am

I've not posted on a thread other than one related to this disgusting, garbage quality debacle of a redesign since this happened. There is a reason for that. Just reading through the replies takes too long to even be worth it. I don't want to read what people say or get any news , as it is completely unreadable.

On top of that, the sarcastic and disingenuous responses - those that trickle out - from those working for Demand Media are insulting to the intelligence of all of us. Well done making people more angry with your destruction of what was once a great site. How on earth couldn't you see that all of these problems were going to happen? Who in the world ever thought that this horrible brew of generic design, wasted space and clutter would be a good thing?

You should be ashamed of yourselves.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

Geehi

Fri Jun 17, 2016 6:56 am

I would like to be able to see more pix per page. 10 at a time means a lot of clicks to browse a gallery.

Barbro

Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:35 am

Yebo...

I don't really read the forum, so not commenting on that at all.

From a photographer point of view, some point:

Positive:
-I love the new way of arranging the photos, side by side thumbnails and so on

Critisism:
-in search-results, more info is needed: exact type, reg, even the c/n. The way it is now totally destroys the site's usability as an info source.
-some photo-thumbnails in search results have been cut strangely, so the nose or the tail is missing. Like the site was constructed by someone who doesn't totally understand what the site is about.
-when I click to see a photo, it is of strange size. Some are 683px wide, some 8XX px wide. How can I choose to see the fullsized pic? Or are these smaller sizes allowed now? I always want to see them full-sized.
-where is photo-statistics for a photographer?
-where are all the other stuff from the previous photographer-page?

If this stuff is coming, I would say you published a rather half-made site.

Best regards,

Mika B

Braybuddy

Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:44 am

Out of curiosity, where is the Site Related forum? I can't find it on the homepage. Also, I see members posting links to "Users online". I can't find that at all either.

Braybuddy

Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:01 am

Found it! I see Site Related has now been added to the list of forums since yesterday. I'd still like to know how to find "Users Online".

fhrx

Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:16 am

Do we have an estimation for the omission of watermarks, post login; perchance?

sudden

Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:31 am

StuckinCMHland wrote:
sudden wrote:
These are not changes, but a whole new site. Not to say it's bad but a a question of getting used to.
But would have been nice to see some of the good old Anet shine through in the new version.
Was actually going to ask for a "Home" icon but found it when clicking AIRLINERS

Great post, only it is too positive. This is an awful change to the site and I may well stop using it very much. The old forums had such an easy way to post comments and log in, a great way to check spelling, and you could do it while easily looking at the thread or the comment you are responding to. In short it was a very functional site. This new site is just change for the sake of change, and much less convenient. the worst thing about it is the 'no post' message because some one else made a post. If I want to change a post after seeing another post I always thought that I could EDIT my post. I guess that's not an option anymore.

Internet sites are becoming more a pain in the neck than anything else. They are either redone solely for the sake of iphones or android devices, or they are just changed for the sake of change. I am very disappointed in the changes, there is nothing positive to make the user's experience better.

Maybe too nice but I was trying to behave. NOw I have been using it for some days and the site seems very unorganised since they changed it.
And a known fact is that it's easier to read with a dark background.
The homepage looks very messy as took. Old site was not broken, so why change it!?
When in doubt, flat out!

winterlight

Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:32 am

The list of those online is at the bottom of each page of each forum.
Question everything. Trust no-one.

HansW

Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:34 am

Is this a kind of hack or something? Where is the original airliners.net?

flipdewaf

Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:35 am

fhrx wrote:

Unlikely, demand media are not posting anything other than what they are working on right now and won't even share this "list" of issues that we are "assured" is being worked on or going to be, such little transparency it's almost like they have a minister of information like those corrupt countries.

They of course don't want to post a list as then there is something to hold them account to, and that's clearly not how professional companies work.

Fred

Airstud

Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:12 am

I just want to add my voice to the chorus here, and I want to do my best to not be whiny or adolescent about it.

Yet this new site design offers ONLY things to whine about.

So many things were special about airliners.net - the superbly readable white lettering on a rich blue background, the "star" feature making it easy to track which threads you were following, the ability to collapse or expand replies in order to keep everything on one page and not subject yourself to repetitive stress injuries by having to CLICK. ALL. THE. TIME.

And the smileys!!! A.net's selection of smileys stood second to absolutely no website on earth; they were so varied and so just gosh-darned CUTE (as a grown heterosexual man it's not easy for me to use the word "cute" but the old site's smileys were distinctively so; no other word works).

I am one a.netter - a sixteen-year one, you will find - who is super-bummed about this re-design and would do unceasing cartwheels if the site reverted to its former glory.
Pancakes are delicious.

Yirina77

Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:32 am

I like new A.net, but I would prefer to have an option to pay for membership without advertising on the page.

JohnKrist
Head Support

Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:58 am

flipdewaf wrote:
fhrx wrote:

Unlikely, demand media are not posting anything other than what they are working on right now and won't even share this "list" of issues that we are "assured" is being worked on or going to be, such little transparency it's almost like they have a minister of information like those corrupt countries.
Fred

I do not know of any website or company that publishes every issue like that. Possibly the biggest issues, and usually not even that. We have a topic that lists the issues that has highest priority, taken from input by you, the community. Al list that would state every issue down to a spelling error in a crew menu is of no use to the community.

And, the removal of ads or watermarks is not on that list, and will not be either as we do not offer paid subscriptions anymore. That can also be found in the FAQ threads here in Site Related.

dragon-wings

Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:32 am

Why is it ever time I go to a different page on this site a pop up comes on asking me if I want to leave the page?

I was searching for 2 plane photos, I entered the registration and clicked go but instead of going to the photos a pop up came up asking me if I wanted to leave the page I was on! Please stop that pop up!
Don't give up don't ever give up - Jim Valvano

JohnKrist
Head Support

Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:15 am

dragon-wings wrote:
Why is it ever time I go to a different page on this site a pop up comes on asking me if I want to leave the page?

I was searching for 2 plane photos, I entered the registration and clicked go but instead of going to the photos a pop up came up asking me if I wanted to leave the page I was on! Please stop that pop up!

Hmmm, that sounds strange, and not something I've heard of. Please contact us at [email protected] and state OS, browser and possibly a screenshot

alberchico

Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:18 am

BTW whenever i go to a forum like non aviation or civil aviation I glance on the small users online box on the bottom and see that traffic seems to be WAY down on this site. Anyone else notice that ? :!:

Loran

Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:28 am

Firstly a thanks to everyone who has put all the efforts into the new design. Will take some tome to get used to but I think it is generally an improvement, although many typical a.net elements are gone.

I haven't read all 15 pages of this thread, so excuse me if this was mentioned before.

Just after browsing the website for a few minutes, I have a few comments related to my own photo album, which I use as a photo flightlog. In the previous version the photos were nicely arranged in chronological order with lots of thumbnails per page. Now the photos are sorted by views or likes. Is there a chance to re-introduce the option where the photos are sorted by the date they were added to the album? And the link to my own photoalbum is missing from my profile I believe? Also, I find 10 photos per page by far not enough. Would prefer something like 100 per page...

Thanks if you can consider these comments.
Regards,
Loran
703 717 727 732-9 747 757 767 777 787 AB2/6 310 318-321 330 340 359 380 D8M D91/3/5 D1C M11 M81-90 L10 IL1/8/6/7/W/9/4 TU3/5/2 YK4/2

AC_B777

Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:55 am

I have been on a.net since 1997 and had my first username here in 1998. I have always loved this site and have spent many hours browsing through pictures and the forums.
Unfortunately, I'm not a fan of the new design. There's too much 'white' for the pages on the forums. I miss the blue. I found it more relaxing whereas the new page I can't stay and look at it for more than 5 minutes without my eyes getting sore. Also, the font on the forums is too light. I find it hard to focus and read it.
I don't like that when I click on a picture on the homepage, it doesn't open in a new tab or window. I know I can do this by right clicking on my mouse, but it was better the old way. The same applies for when I click a link on the forums, they don't open in a new tab. Very annoying.
Also, I have to sign in every time I visit the site. For some reason, I keep getting logged out, even when I select the "Remember Me" button.
The one thing I do like is the drop down menu for the forum. That is easier than the old way. Bravo for that!
As many others have said and I will repeat, I do miss the iconic 747 header at the top of the page. That was there since the beginning. However, if you want something different, may I suggest a rolling slideshow of various aircraft along the header.
Anyways, I know that sometimes change is good, however, this almost seems to be too much. Bring back the blue!
Cheers
In life, some days you are the bug..... some days you are the windshield!

flightpal

Fri Jun 17, 2016 12:05 pm

I have been visiting the site for over 10 years now and This is my first post. I love the discussions and photo databases that has made me an AVGEEK.

I Love the new look of the site but it will get some time getting used to. I have few suggestions for the ppl who have designed it.

1. The subject of a reply should not be that prominent in the forum discussions. Or if it has to be that bold and big it should be left blank by default. Its painful to see "SAME DISCUSSION TOPIC NAME" again and again in the consecutive posts. the actual reply needs more attention in a discussion.

2. At the homepage if you can make the sections that display news/forums with reduced width/size. Am not asking you to go to old design but the old design one line headings had better readability.

Thanks.