Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

G-CIVP

Re: New Site.

Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:45 pm

Doing a few photo searches, the format is more akin to Flickr and the photos are larger on a basic search. It will be interesting to see others reaction to the look and feel of the site.

bradmovie

Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:47 pm

First impressions of the new site:

I can no longer tell how many posts I have read in a topic, so don't know where to even start!

It is much more difficult to tell how long ago topics were updated -- the timestamp is there, but no longer is there a countdown of how long it has been since last response.

Harder to read with gray text on white background

Harder to read due to massive wasted space on the page

Harder to find topics due to massive wasted space

Not particularly impressed by the mobile version

Anyway I hope they bring navigation abilities back to at least par with the older site.

FlyingHollander

Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:48 pm

There is waaaaay too much scrolling needed on the new website on a desktop. You can only see a few threads/replies at a time. I loved being able to pick and choose quickly what to read and what not. Now you have to go through everything.

I assume one of the reasons to update the website is the increasing use of mobile devices. And yes, on mobile it is an improval. (though that wasn't too difficult). However this setup does not work for desktop. Desktop and mobile are two completely different things and need two completely different layouts.
If it ain't Dutch, it ain't much.

william

Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:49 pm

1. Background to bright, can we have a dark blue background option?

2. Thanks for making the photos larger, easier to use as wallpapers.

mayor

Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:50 pm

THIS will take some getting used to, but like everything else, we WILL get use to it.
"A committee is a group of the unprepared, appointed by the unwilling, to do the unnecessary"----Fred Allen

aloges

Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:52 pm

AirlineCritic wrote:
Minor issue: there doesn't seem to be a way to update avatars or profile pics.

Move your cursor to the rightmost item on the blue bar at the top of the page, wait for the menu to drop down, click on "settings" and choose a profile photo that will also serve as your avatar.
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

YNGguins

Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:53 pm

I for one love the new site. Great job guys!
I am PROUD to live in the greatest country on earth: The United States of America!

thomasphoto60

Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:57 pm

Not lovin it......sigh.....I suppose I will get use to it however, still, it would not bother me too much to see the old site return, flaws and all.
"Show me the Braniffs"

peterjohns

Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:58 pm

This is simply terrible. I don´t think I will continue on this site much longer rather go to pprune.
Sorry, it used to be a great site. This is not for me anymore.
Just to get into this Forum and post was confusing.
Good night from Germany (can´t see that anymore either) , what a shame-
Bye bye from me.

WALmsp

Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:02 pm

I'll add my voice to those who would like the desktop version to be more compact. I'm one of those who rarely goes to this site on my mobile device. I like to look at plane pictures on a nice big screen! Having the home page press allowing me to look everything at a glance a single screen, rather than scrolling up and down, would be preferable.

I poked around the forum a little bit and I found the "subscribe to thread" button, but I really like "star" feature previous version, primarily because I could quickly find the topics of interest to me and not have to worry about getting email notifications that I could really do without. For me, the newly added activity button is sufficient to remind me of posts need to threads that I am following. Is there a way to view only be subscribed threads the same manner as we used to do with the star threads?

I do like the bigger photo images for scrolling. I would like, however, to have the photo tracker feature restored. I really like having the ability to click on single link to display only the most recently added photos. Maybe there is a way to do that here now, I have not yet found it.

Last issue regarding pictures: as someone mentioned earlier in this thread, it is much more like Flickr, which isn't all that bad, but I really prefer to have a photo that I click on open in a separate tab.

Other than that, I am okay with the changes. Change is a good thing, whether it is airline's delivery or website design. It is not as earth shattering as some people seem to believe.
In memory of my Dad, Robert "Bob" Fenrich, WAL 1964-1979, MSP ONT LAX

justloveplanes

Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:04 pm

The old forum layout was better as far as density. TOO, TOOO, TOOOOOO much white space :( . Is there a denser view for the forum?

smokeybandit

Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:05 pm

I kind of miss seeing the nationality flag of each poster.

ArmitageShanks

Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:08 pm

It took 8 years to come up with this. Amazing.

EC135C

Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:10 pm

Not for me. Far too busy and complicated than the previous site. In the previous site, everything was there - nice and compact. This is a step backwards concerning user interface. Gotta give a thumbs down.

Loew

Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:11 pm

Well after more than 15 years of reading this site this change finally made me join the discussion. I have to say, I liked the old classic website more, but this new one is also quite nice it a huge change though which will definitely not be welcomed by many. I also do miss a dark blue scheme. Anyway I just would like to wish airliners.net many more exciting years serving this great community :)

Yflyer

Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:14 pm

bradmovie wrote:
I can no longer tell how many posts I have read in a topic, so don't know where to even start!

It took me a while to figure out, but at the top of the thread there a link that says "first unread post". Click that and it pretty much does what it says.

PPVRA

Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:15 pm

This sucks. The color, layout, I'm not a fan of avatars, miss the old information about posters, the old quote function/look. Always liked our forum's design over other boring looking forums. Now this is boring looking.

Bring back the old design.
"If goods do not cross borders, soldiers will" - Frederic Bastiat

TK787

Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:16 pm

BiggerJetsPlz wrote:
I don't like the fact that I can only see about 9 threads vertically on my monitor now with all the wasted space in between. With the old layout I could see probably 25-30.

Also, the forum looks very generic at this point.

On my laptop I can barely see 3 topics. :( Not happy

BostonBeau

Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:19 pm

BiggerJetsPlz wrote:
I don't like the fact that I can only see about 9 threads vertically on my monitor now with all the wasted space in between. With the old layout I could see probably 25-30.

I agree. This is a very active message forum with people posting constantly 24/7. In this new format, we'll have to click through 4 or 5 pages to see what we used to see on one page. In the photos section, all the white space looks fine, but in the forums, we want to see the messages, not the margins.

NeBaNi

Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:19 pm

deltacto wrote:
On the old site, once you opened a particular topic it would show you "5 posts unread" and you could jump to the first unread post .... does this new site keep track of unread posts or do you just have to scroll through til you find them?

Disregard ... I figured it out

I miss this feature too. Could you tell me how to show unread posts? Thanks in advance :)

OA260

Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:24 pm

NeBaNi wrote:
deltacto wrote:
On the old site, once you opened a particular topic it would show you "5 posts unread" and you could jump to the first unread post .... does this new site keep track of unread posts or do you just have to scroll through til you find them?

I miss this feature too. Could you tell me how to show unread posts? Thanks in advance :)

Top right next to ''POSTS'' Click on ''UNREAD POSTS''

mighluss

Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:25 pm

Ok, trying things...

-unable to find my posts.
-I don't have 5 followers... maybe I'm following 5 persons.
-No starred topics?

Very Courageous on your side, I'll miss that 747... anyway I like it.
Miquel.

Braybuddy

Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:25 pm

This is a mess: if you go back to a thread you can't pick-up where you left off , unless I'm missing something. You have to remember the last post you read and then scroll down to it. That was a handy -- and pretty obvious --feature when there are hundreds of replies.

Also, why the "Re:" title above each post? It's unnecessary and cluttered.

Pity there isn't an option to revert to the old layout the way some sites do when they change.

:(

NeBaNi

Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:26 pm

NeBaNi wrote:
deltacto wrote:

Lol I figured it out too. For anyone else wondering, you click the asterisk (snowflake?) item (*) next to the thread title.

NeBaNi

Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:28 pm

OA260 wrote:
NeBaNi wrote:

Top right next to ''POSTS'' Click on ''UNREAD POSTS''

Just saw your post after figuring it out, but thanks for the help! :)

NeBaNi

Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:30 pm

Yflyer wrote:
bradmovie wrote:

It took me a while to figure out, but at the top of the thread there a link that says "first unread post". Click that and it pretty much does what it says.

It's the little asterisk (*) next to each thread title - kinda looks like a snowflake. Took me a while to figure it out too; hope that helps.

nomadd22

Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:31 pm

I've been is this forum for a lot of years, but this will be my last post. This new site is so bad it's not worth the trouble.
Anon

jmw99ttu

Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:35 pm

I like this new layout. It's modern and less cluttered than the old site. I will say that I miss the old blue w/ white text, but that's a small price to pay if this means the end of those F&*$(@! auto play video ads! 8-) 8-) 8-)

Wingtips56

Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:35 pm

Well, count me among the desktop users who truly doesn't like the change. I'm not adverse to change, but not when it is a negative change. I don't think I'm going to spend my days and evenings with this site anymore, and certainly will not be contributing. Pity, I've really enjoyed it.
Worked for WestAir, Apollo Airways, Desert Pacific, Western, AirCal and American Airlines (Retired). Flight Memory: 181 airports, 92 airlines, 78 a/c types, 403 routes, 58 countries (by air), 6 continents. 1,119,414 passenger miles.

Home airport : CEC

flymia

Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:37 pm

Honestly, I hate it, but maybe time will cure the dislike. Though right now it literally is giving me physical pain reading the site.

They seem to care about two things, mobile users and more advertising space.

Its a complete mess IMO and if major changes are not made, I honestly just won't be on here much if at all. The ease of reading topics and user replies is completely gone.

Time will tell if traffic dips or not. IMO as is, it will, and it will hard. The site is just a generic cheap forum now that IMO just about anybody who is decent with web design can make.

Always thought I would be active here for years and years, but I might not be. Maybe it will be better on my I-Pad.
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

na

Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:38 pm

Being a member since 1999 I must say I dont like the new site. The white/grey color background is like everybody else and lacks the distinctiveness of the old blue which stood out of the crowd. Also, I dont like that there are much less topics shown, making the site less easy to browse. And where is the 747 on top of the page? Now there is nothing, just a no-design.

Adverts on both sides of the forums make the site look much "cheaper" than before. I can smell where the will to change came from...

So, sorry, for me the new design is a failure.

Its like an old friend you are used to know wearing a smart blue suit now appearing in a cheap white tank top and a hoody. Or, to stay in the aviation world, its like an airline changing a nice old livery to cheap "Eurowhite".

altbg

Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:43 pm

b747400erf wrote:
Format has changed now, more posts displayed and the front page is more compact. It will take time getting used to but this is not that bad.

I think you meant it is less compact now than it was before. :roll:

What is more compact about having a huge header, one picture, and the top 4 names on the right hand side? Before I got to see the most active forum threads, the top 5 pictures of the day plus a lot more.

This site is definitely not built for the regular desktop user.

seanm243

Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:50 pm

I loved the old site but, as I use the new site, I'm beginning to like it more and more.

VapourTrails

Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:51 pm

I like it, on the whole. I agree with the comment that is is not as compact. Like anything, it takes some getting used to.

I like the font, the flexibility for indenting eg. and changing the text, and the fact that private messages can now be deleted, aka cleaned up by the member. More control over content.

I can't change that awful skull, to my own avatar, I guess that will be fixed shortly, as I can see some have already done it.

I did like the white on blue background, agree, it is going to be much more friendly on mobile devices.

The change was overdue, and like any software upgrades, there are going to be pluses, along with a few minuses. :?
Last edited by VapourTrails on Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mariner

Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:52 pm

I'm grateful for this thread because it's explained a few things to me.

One thing I really dislike is having a"death skull" beside my name on the top right. When I click on it, it says "change avatar" but when I click on that nothing happens, it's still a death skull.

As for the rest, I suppose it's a matter of getting used to it, but some if it feels like change for the sake of change.
aeternum nauta

Braybuddy

Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:53 pm

NeBaNi wrote:
Yflyer wrote:
bradmovie wrote:

It's the little asterisk (*) next to each thread title - kinda looks like a snowflake. Took me a while to figure it out too; hope that helps.

Yeah, figured it out too.

What happened to the flags? The avatars and the option to delete posts are handy, but it helps to know where someone's allegiances lie.

There seems to be a lot of unhappy campers . . .

OA260

Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:00 pm

Braybuddy wrote:
NeBaNi wrote:
Yflyer wrote:

What happened to the flags? The avatars and the option to delete posts are handy, but it helps to know where someone's allegiances lie.

There seems to be a lot of unhappy campers . . .

Maybe the flags going is a deliberate thing. If someone wants they can always put their flag as their Avatar.

mighluss

Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:03 pm

mariner wrote:
I'm grateful for this thread because it's explained a few things to me.

One thing I really dislike is having a"death skull" beside my name on the top right. When I click on it, it says "change avatar" but when I click on that nothing happens, it's still a death skull.

As for the rest, I suppose it's a matter of getting used to it, but some if it feels like change for the sake of change.

Click the skull... select "settings" ... upload a photo.

BTW... I prefered the continous format at forums instead of different pages
Last edited by mighluss on Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Miquel.

A60Stock

Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:04 pm

Airliners has made the same error as Microsoft did with Windows 8, it has cast the desktop user aside (which many of us commentators still are for the most part) and focused on the touchscreen people.

I would outline what I find wrong with it, but I'd merely be repeating what has gone before. I think that Airliners should have done a boards.ie kinda thing where they have kept the classic and modern looks running concurrently.
Types flown: A319, A320, B734, B738, B744, B77W and E195.
Airports flown to/from: DUB, JFK, LGW, LHR, LIS, LTN, PDL, SEN and STN.
Airlines flown with: AA, BA, BD, BE, EI, and FR.
Next flights: W9 LTN - SVG - LTN
Home Airport: LHR

Cush

Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:08 pm

This new site is awful!! You should have had a beta period for feedback. I do web design for a living and this is just TERRIBLE!!
Fly me to the moon let me play among the stars.

na

Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:16 pm

Its much less fun to browse the forums as the new layout is less compact than before. Its much harder to get an overview, and there is no mark on topics I posted.

One annoying detail: why Avatars? Why this modernistic nonsense? And why do they appear much more prominent than the user name? I preferred the flags.

One thing I would recommend to change very soon is to reintroduce the old blue background. I cannot understand at all how someone even dreamed of that the generic white/grey could possibly be better than blue.

Grummancat

Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:18 pm

cubastar wrote:
Sorry, this just does not do it for me. Maybe I'm just too old. "Our" old site, while it had some drawbacks, probably could have been cleaned up with a little more discipline with both the users and the Monitors.

I truly do not care for the new setup. I truly do miss the old layout.
cubastar

Yeah, you should probably change the thread title to "New Airliners.net liver bashing thread" to make it feel more like home.

Taking some heat off American Airlines I guess :P

N766UA

Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:21 pm

Wow, terrible! I've been on this website for almost 17 years, maybe even longer, and the simplicity with which it has always been designed was fantastic. The forums, particularly, were easy to read at a glance, unique, and simple.

This new forum looks like one of those freeware "get a forum for your website!" forums; generic, difficult to read... You used to be able to just look up at all the previous posts while replying, but now apparently you have to scroll down and then scroll through them 1 or 2 at a time.

Seriously, this is really bad. Like, I'm going to quit even coming here bad. But hey, it makes more room for the ads, right?

0 stars.

VapourTrails

Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:22 pm

For those of us in the Far East, to change the Timezone involves several minutes of scrolling.. I know it sounds whiny, but this is 2016.. At least that is what I had to do on my mobile device.

I still can't get rid of the skull, maybe it is my iPad Safari settings?

ua2162

Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:22 pm

I like it.

Much better on my iPad and phone. I think this is where a majority of web viewing is heading so this is a welcomed change. At least for me.

na

Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:23 pm

Cush wrote:
This new site is awful!! You should have had a beta period for feedback. I do web design for a living and this is just TERRIBLE!!

Agreed. I am a designer too and one can see that the redesign has not seen a proper designer involved. It looks like some tech nerds did it with no sense for aesthetics. The site is less distinctive, much more cluttered, less clear, overall has no sympathetic character and personality at all. This site could be from everybody.

XoMa

Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:26 pm

The button to check for new replies is gone? That was the singular most useful feature of the old forums! :o

bradmovie

Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:26 pm

Thanks to those who pointed out how to find your first unread post, though it doesn't seem to work correctly all the time.

How do you respond to a specific post? They are no longer numbered...

And what about being able to collapse posts as the earlier site did? I can't believe all the functionality that has been removed!

HOOB747

Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:30 pm

Why aren't posts numbered? It is impossible to navigate a thread without numbered posts to refer later. With so much scrolling, it would be extremely helpful to have numbered posts in a thread, because the longer the thread, the better the functionality if there are numbered posts. And it would be nice to see the posters data (number of posts, country of origin, respected status), so the reader can apply judgement whether the poster is knowledgeable or a first-time poster. I hate the new layout, and if it runs off respected contributors, that is a shame. For the many of us on desktops, we feel like we have been taken for granted with the change. I am sad.
I love dem planes....

A5XX

Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:30 pm

Sorry' but I fail to see the "improvement" in this new layout. I've seen many fails in the past, but this one tops them all.
we are the boeing... resistance is futile...You will be assimilated