hOMSaR

Re: New Site.

Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:19 pm

The airliners.net home page...maybe I'll get used to it. The old home page wasn't necessarily all that great. At least with the new one, you can see full-size photos for the top photos page.

The forums...yes, there are some cosmetic issues that should be addressed. Those shouldn't be too bad, and are probably relatively easy enough to fix compared to fixing things on the old board.

The change was needed, though. The old board was a mess. It was full of bugs which could never get fixed (such as the setting to show the first 25 messages in a thread, with messages 26 and 27 minimized for whatever reason, and after message 27, you had the button to click to show the next 25). Often, clicking to display a message would make that message vanish.

Nobody could figure out how the quoting system worked on the old board (well, not nobody, but plenty of people couldn't), and you'd have quotes attributed to the wrong person.

The fact that it didn't separate threads into pages meant that you needed Part 2, part 3, part 745, etc. of threads if they got too long, because otherwise they would load too slow. This setup fixes that, and that's a major thing for keeping discussions somewhat organized. This is something that simply couldn't be fixed in the old software (well, not without tons of work that nobody was going to put in).

Yes, people miss the airport and airline codes, but those codes hadn't been updated in forever anyway, so you'd get some random cargo helicopter carrier in Liechtenstein showing up when someone used the code for a new LCC startup. Plus, often that coding would get glitched and you'd just see HTML strings where a code was supposed to be.

I simply stopped visiting the site on my iPhone because not only was it damn-near impossible to do anything with, but the old board seemed to be infected by some malware that would try to hijack my phone's browser (probably related to the ads on the site; which are still as hideous as ever on the forum). With the new software, again there are some cosmetic issues, but I can actually read the boards on my phone. Since I'm around my phone far more often than I'm in front of a desktop computer, that means I can actually browse the forums more often.

The new forum should allow things like moving and merging threads, which couldn't be done (that I'm aware of) in the old forum (well, threads could be moved, but they often just disappeared without a trace due to buggy glitches).

This forum also allows things like sub-forums, which should be easier to find now than they were in the old site.

So, as others have said, I expect the whining to settle down in the next few days or weeks, and eventually people will get used to the new site. Other than the dark blue color scheme, there really was nothing good about the old forums. I'm glad they've switched.
The plural of Airbus is Airbuses. Airbii is not a word.
There is no 787-800, nor 787-900 or 747-800. It's 787-8, 787-9, and 747-8.
A321neoLR is also unnecessary. It's simply A321LR.
Airplanes don't have isles, they have aisles.

icarus75

Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:21 pm

I've discovered the new version of the site today and I really do not like it! :x :x :x
Please, bring back the old one.
Flying is amazing!

usair330

Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:22 pm

Being on Airliners.net for over 16 years now, the one thing I remember was that the founder of airliners.net chose a dark blue so that it can be easy on the eyes. This new site really is not for me but it's gonna take some getting used to.

TNST3B

Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:25 pm

Don't know if this has been brought up yet but on mobile words in thread titles are cut off and continued on the next line. This really effects readability and it would be better if words that do not fit on the current line would be started on the next line.

IADCA

Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:26 pm

hOMSaR wrote:
I'm glad they've switched.

You might not be when you realize that your real name is publicly available. At least it's a pretty generic name.

jetwet1

Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:28 pm

Like a few members I decided to check back this morning just in case my knee jerk reaction was off, well it wasn't, on here for 10 minutes and a headache is starting.

D L X

Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:35 pm

I can't read this grey text on off-white background.

Would be a lot better like this, at least.

Also, the subject is repeated on each post, and takes up so much space. Much better use of space to make the body text larger.

Ytraveller

Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:44 pm

Read this post for an update from the A.net crew.

This is all from this thread. I asked airkas1 to create a separate FAQ thread but don't know when that will happen.

All of these responses are from airkas1, who is part of the A.net crew (don't know what position as the profiles don't mention it).

About the color scheme
"This has been mentioned a few times already to the developers and is on the to-do list."

"The forum colors are very high on the priority list as well."

About the photo issues.
"The photo issues are something we are well aware of and it has our top priority. This goes for the the cut-off photos and upscaled photos.
With that, I'm hoping that the vertical photo issue will also be solved."

The photo issues (copyright etc) appear to be the #1 priority right now. Then comes the color scheme and other issues.

readytotaxi

Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:45 pm

:o I go with awful, terrible on the eye, centainly will not use it as much.
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!
Growing older, but not up.

ssteve

Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:54 pm

Finally found a the "display avatars" option in the user control panel, and this damn new forum still separates 1-line comments by huge amounts of useless space! WTF? This is terrible and impossible to read any thread with many comments.

SpeckSpot

Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:58 pm

I appreciate that a lot of work went into the site redesign, but I think overall it is a huge step backwards, at least for desktop users.

It used to be easy to see 10 to 12 hottest forum topics (the box labelled "Right now in the forums"). Now we can see only 6. It is especially unfortunate because about two lines of text are used to mention each topic. The main header, and they gray'ed out statistics at the bottom of the
header. If I designed the site I would find a way to fit all that information into one line for each topic. Right now, there are 9 topics under latest news, and it gets a lot of vertical space. Personally I would prefer it if the News items changed places with the Forum topics, and let there be 10 forum topics at a go, and 6 news topics.

The login procedure is unable to remember the context of the login. I browsed into the site into a forum topic, and was the end, and I wanted to contribute this post, so I decided to login. After I logged in, I was taken back to the front page, with a time-wasting green banner that said you have now been logged in. It is better to simply have an indicator at the top right corner of the screen that says something like "You are logged in as <YourCallSign>". You can flash it green if you want, but it should *not* be something that you have to click before it goes away. It should just be something that you see only if you look for it. Furthermore, after logging in, it should not take you back to the front page. It should take you exactly back to the place where you were before you decided to login. That is how a well-designed and built site works. It will not break your flow of thought just because you decided to login.

There is a lot of wasted vertical space. Look at the headings of each post on the old site, compared with the new. The circle which contains the users' photo or gravatar is a huge waste of vertical space that does not add anything important to the discussion in my opinion. Ask yourself, just by making the design choice to put those circular photos/gravatars where they are, how many posts will fit on a screen now versus how many used to fit on the screen before? It is clear that now fewer posts fit on the screen because of the photo. Right now each postings header takes the space of what used to be about four lines on the old site. Waste
of vertical space. One way to fix this is to put the photo at the side of the header
and the posting like this (consider the ### to be the photo area)

######| UserName | Topic Quite wide | Timestamp
######| --------------------------------------------------------------
######| text of posting
######| text of posting

For example:

Photo | SpacehipDC10 | Re: Air Europa A330 EC-MHL flown to CBG | 10:05 15 June
_of___| -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Space | Per Skyliner, this A330 has been flown to CBG. Any idea why?
DC10_|
______| His/her signature.

What I am trying to say is that each posting should be a box with a left part (thin column) containing only the photo. The photo should not push anything further down. Then the right part (a very wide column) will contain the header ON ONE LINE at the top. Not two lines. First the name (that matters more because by the time you are on that forum page, you already know what the topic is, so there is no need to bold the topic anymore as the most important thing). The username is more important and is what changes most significantly from one posting to the next so that should come first. Then the topic can come in the middle of the wide right column, and the time of the posting at the far right. There is no need to put the posting number (like #12344555) because that is a website implementation detail that most people never read. If you want to expose the posting number to the readership of the website, it can be under a popup, like if you hover over an icon at the far right, it can show you the posting number. Just like the current icons for reporting the posting and replying with a quote.

Right now I think there is just too much open space on the screen which means you have to spend too much time and effort scrolling with the mouse.

I also agree with other people that have said that we should have really long pages instead of having to constantly having to click through numbered pages for each topic. That change is not an improvement from a usability standpoint, in my opinion.

I would also reduce the whitespace below the signature line in each posting, as well as before the body of the posting (between the posting itself and its header) as well as between the posting itself, and its signature. All wasted vertical space which means more scrolling and less information on the screen.

Perhaps one major thing that could be considered is that instead of forcing everyone onto the new site, you keep the same database, and let the mobile
users use the new site and let the old site be available to desktop users who prefer it. The two sites can share the Database/API, but in my opinion the new site over-prioritizes prettiness compared to giving you maximum information for minimum interaction/effort. Too much scrolling with too little information in each screenful.

Also more color contrast, which a lot of people have said. If you provide the ability to login, and distinguish one user from another, it should not be too hard to have different color schemes (each one would be a different bootstrap.css theme file), and let each user choose their own theme. So you can serve a standard color scheme to guests, but to users, there should be a way where they try out different theme/style files and choose one, which the site will always use for them when they login. Those who like light text on dark background can do that, and those who like the bright white with gray can also do that. There should be about 10 themes at least.

My own two cents.

SAS A340

Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:18 pm

This new site will for sure take some time to get used to....and i miss the flaggs of members nations.... ;)
It's not what u do,it's how u do it!

flyrocoak

Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:23 pm

As a long time, regular visitor of this site, my feedback is that the changes have improved my mobile experience, but the Desktop/laptop experience has really taken a hit. Given that 95% of my visits to this site are on my laptop, I will likely reduce my visits to the site significantly. It's simply not that enjoyable to see and view the posts. My biggest complaint: The amount of real estate that is used per post. I get 7 posts showing and then I have to scroll. I used to be able to see 30 or so on one screen.

Why

So

Much

Space?

The other compliant is the background color- it could be easily rectified.

Irony that the feature that allows me to post this message (for free) will ultimate end up reducing the quality of postings- which will be another detraction. You used to be able to count on Airliners.net for relatively professional and quality posts.

EYKD

Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:25 pm

Aeroflot777 wrote:
The thing that needs to be fixed immediately is the ability for anyone to sign up and start posting.

Previously, with various types of memberships, there was an exclusivity to the community, at least somewhat regulated. Now, there will be so many trolls and new accounts made simply to post in hate and slander, just watch.

Mods, please regulate this ASAP. It should be one of the top things on the to-do list.

The last hope has died. The site is now under operation of some media-shmedia company that is not interested in aviation geeks and enthusiasts.

Here's the site management position on this: viewtopic.php?p=18941327#p18941327

factsonly

Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:29 pm

Trying to use the photo search engine for use in Civil Aviation forum.

Guess what , I have the following aircraft choice:

- MANUFACTURER - All Manufacturers
- BUILDER - All Builders

Looked for Bob under Builder, but only found 'Budd'....close enough I guess.

Could someone clarify the role of Builders?

DJWM

Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:30 pm

I think this topic should be locked and everyone post where they intended and which they claim is monitored 24/7. I fear most of these points will be lost here.

"As this was such a large task there maybe some bugs and no doubt you'll have questions about the new look site so we would like to use this thread where you can discuss the changes and any issues you may encounter. Our developers are monitoring the thread 24x7 and will resolve any bugs that are raised."

Access from the main page via the link "Site Upgrade Announcement & Discussion"
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1335263

AABB777

Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:45 pm

I'm not happy with the new site. Sometimes change is good, and is needed, but this site appears to be a 180 from the previous site. I'm also extremely surprised there is not an extensive FAQ page. The site was changed and now there is nobody around to explain the changes and answer questions.

Ytraveller

Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:51 pm

AABB777 wrote:
I'm also extremely surprised there is not an extensive FAQ page. The site was changed and now there is nobody around to explain the changes and answer questions.

If we were on the old site, I would put lots of checkmarks for this. Few to no moderators etc. are responding in these threads.

D L X

Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:53 pm

The new site makes it difficult to read and digest other people's posts.

Also, while the old site would comfortably show 300 posts on a single page, now 300 posts is on SEVEN pages.

An honest question: did the developers think that this was a big improvement? Throw us a bone -- tell us what things have been made better here.

teahan

Wed Jun 15, 2016 5:03 pm

IADCA wrote:
hOMSaR wrote:

You might not be when you realize that your real name is publicly available. At least it's a pretty generic name.

Is this not only people who choose to make their name available?
Goodbye SR-LX MD-11 / 6th of March 1991 to the 31st of October 2004

rufusmi

Wed Jun 15, 2016 5:05 pm

It's a dream on mobile, AND I don't have to be a lurker anymore, because it's FREE to post things now! Loving the redesign!

Also, is there any way the flags could make a reappearance? I really liked that.

Mortyman

Wed Jun 15, 2016 5:14 pm

How do i change / add profile picture ?

This forum is just awful now. Impossible ti keep track of anything :-(

Also difficult to find where you left off.

Ytraveller

Wed Jun 15, 2016 5:17 pm

Mortyman wrote:
How the %¤&# ! do i change / add profile picture ?

This forum is just awful now. Impossible ti keep track of anything :-(

Hover over your user circle at the top right and click Settings.

PS. If you click Save and nothing happens, scroll slowly down the page to see if there are any fields highlighted in red. Fill those in and then click Save.

Mortyman

Wed Jun 15, 2016 5:19 pm

flyingturtle wrote:

David

Agreed !

I also notice that the site is slow

airkas1

Wed Jun 15, 2016 5:20 pm

Mortyman wrote:

Most upper right corner --> settings --> Change your profile photo

IADCA

Wed Jun 15, 2016 5:21 pm

teahan wrote:
IADCA wrote:
hOMSaR wrote:

No. This takes a field that was previously private and makes it public. I had to change my "Real Name" field to prevent it from being displayed publicly. It was private on the old site because I had control over that. I can see via Google that your real name was withheld on the old site, but now I can see your surname and first initial (presumably because that is what you entered in the "Real Name" field when you registered on the old site).

G-CIVP

Wed Jun 15, 2016 5:22 pm

One problem is the contrast. On the Forum, it is difficult to read the grey wording against a white background. Also, the Developers have moved the Forum onto a readily available discussion platform, e.g. the Forum on Pprune is similar, so this isn't really a new thing; it probably makes the IT Support staff easier to maintain.

Personally I don't like the changes. It is probably because the search engine is hidden or absent on the Frontpage and it is not readily apparent that there is a database of photos. The popularity of the sites will no doubt reflected in the number of hits, site clicks so the proof will be in the pudding.

airkas1

Wed Jun 15, 2016 5:27 pm

IADCA wrote:
teahan wrote:
IADCA wrote:

No. This takes a field that was previously private and makes it public. I had to change my "Real Name" field to prevent it from being displayed publicly. It was private on the old site because I had control over that. I can see via Google that your real name was withheld on the old site, but now I can see your surname and first initial (presumably because that is what you entered in the "Real Name" field when you registered on the old site).

I tested with 3 random users and I only see nicknames (so no real names).(?)

Ytraveller

Wed Jun 15, 2016 5:27 pm

The search is working!!!!! Finally.

IADCA

Wed Jun 15, 2016 5:29 pm

airkas1 wrote:
IADCA wrote:
teahan wrote:

I tested with 3 random users and I only see nicknames (so no real names).(?)

PM me the user names of the users and I'll PM back what's in their "Real Name" field. I know yours was public on the old site, so I won't use yours. Or, if you'd like, I can just send you a random smattering of people's real names. I'm sure they'd love that.

yari

How to edit uploaded picture in queue?

Wed Jun 15, 2016 5:40 pm

JerseyFlyer wrote:
PS I agree with all comments about the glary white background.

(I would have added this by editing my earlier reply - but cannot see how to)
hOMSaR wrote:
The airliners.net home page...maybe I'll get used to it. The old home page wasn't necessarily all that great. At least with the new one, you can see full-size photos for the top photos page.

The forums...yes, there are some cosmetic issues that should be addressed. Those shouldn't be too bad, and are probably relatively easy enough to fix compared to fixing things on the old board.

The change was needed, though. The old board was a mess. It was full of bugs which could never get fixed (such as the setting to show the first 25 messages in a thread, with messages 26 and 27 minimized for whatever reason, and after message 27, you had the button to click to show the next 25). Often, clicking to display a message would make that message vanish.

Nobody could figure out how the quoting system worked on the old board (well, not nobody, but plenty of people couldn't), and you'd have quotes attributed to the wrong person.

The fact that it didn't separate threads into pages meant that you needed Part 2, part 3, part 745, etc. of threads if they got too long, because otherwise they would load too slow. This setup fixes that, and that's a major thing for keeping discussions somewhat organized. This is something that simply couldn't be fixed in the old software (well, not without tons of work that nobody was going to put in).

Yes, people miss the airport and airline codes, but those codes hadn't been updated in forever anyway, so you'd get some random cargo helicopter carrier in Liechtenstein showing up when someone used the code for a new LCC startup. Plus, often that coding would get glitched and you'd just see HTML strings where a code was supposed to be.

I simply stopped visiting the site on my iPhone because not only was it damn-near impossible to do anything with, but the old board seemed to be infected by some malware that would try to hijack my phone's browser (probably related to the ads on the site; which are still as hideous as ever on the forum). With the new software, again there are some cosmetic issues, but I can actually read the boards on my phone. Since I'm around my phone far more often than I'm in front of a desktop computer, that means I can actually browse the forums more often.

The new forum should allow things like moving and merging threads, which couldn't be done (that I'm aware of) in the old forum (well, threads could be moved, but they often just disappeared without a trace due to buggy glitches).

This forum also allows things like sub-forums, which should be easier to find now than they were in the old site.

So, as others have said, I expect the whining to settle down in the next few days or weeks, and eventually people will get used to the new site. Other than the dark blue color scheme, there really was nothing good about the old forums. I'm glad they've switched.

reidar76

Wed Jun 15, 2016 5:44 pm

A60Stock wrote:
Airliners has made the same error as Microsoft did with Windows 8, it has cast the desktop user aside (which many of us commentators still are for the most part) and focused on the touchscreen people.

This site is not optimized for touch screens at all. I usually read the forum from my Windows tablet, and now after the upgrade this site is next to unreadable. The font size is smallest one in use on the Internet!

Here is how it looks on my Samsung S6 and on my Windows 8 tablet. I have included a screenshot from Google.com as well for comparison. Googles font size is ideal on this tablet. See the difference...

RedTailDTW

Wed Jun 15, 2016 5:59 pm

I would like to think that with a few modifications, it could be a nice upgrade. Here are my observations:

1. Change the background color back to blue (as most everyone agrees and is apparently being worked on with the developers).

2. While the site looks much better and is easier to use on mobile, there is something wrong when viewing on my iPhone that has the website still not rendered correctly to where I have to scroll way over to the right to get to the menu. The post from reidar76 shows what I am talking about.

3. While the 'first unread post' button is there, it doesn't work as well as it did before and sometimes doesn't work at all for me. This button (along with a few others) don't appear on mobile at all which is needed.

4. I have found that I am always having to log back in when I never needed to as often before. Please fix this!

5. Possibly find a better way to distinguish between threads that have new posts and ones that have been read. The red color folder of the old forum was eye catching versus the grey asterisk which fades a bit into the background on the new forum...

Mason
Airlines Flown: 9E, AA, B6, CO, DL, G7, HP, MQ, NW, RP, UA, US, WN, YX / Aircraft Flown: 737-200/300/700/800, 757-200/300, 777-200, A319/A320/A321, CRJ-200/900, DC-9-30/50, DC-10-40, ERJ 140/145, E170, MD80/83/90

jetmatt777

Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:16 pm

EYKD wrote:
Aeroflot777 wrote:
The thing that needs to be fixed immediately is the ability for anyone to sign up and start posting.

Previously, with various types of memberships, there was an exclusivity to the community, at least somewhat regulated. Now, there will be so many trolls and new accounts made simply to post in hate and slander, just watch.

Mods, please regulate this ASAP. It should be one of the top things on the to-do list.

The last hope has died. The site is now under operation of some media-shmedia company that is not interested in aviation geeks and enthusiasts.

Here's the site management position on this: viewtopic.php?p=18941327#p18941327

Hi, to clarify I am not management. I have been a contributing member on Airliners.net for 11 years. I am a volunteer support crew member who does this for free, in my free time, because I love Airliners.net and have so for many years.

Please be aware that all of the suggestions coming through the forums as well as the emails we are receiving are going straight to the development team. Rest assured your feedback is being heard.
Lighten up while you still can, don't even try to understand, just find a place to make your stand and take it easy

kmz

Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:18 pm

i am sad :?

i liked the old simple overview...i don't need fancy stuff...i want as much info as possible on one page.
no clicking, just scrolling

nice format is for arm chair bloggers...this forum is for hard core aviation geeks..

:evil:

toolmaven

Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:22 pm

I can no longer see the new photo's as they are added & there is no way to keep up with what I have seen. It is all so compartmentalized. For myself, it is unuseable. New... yes. Improved... no.

EYKD

FAREWELL

Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:26 pm

Well, this site is dead. It's not obviously the A.net and will never be. The A.net is ruined, killed, slayed, destroyed and demolished.

After lovely 10 years with the COMMUNITY I say goodbye to fellow A.netters.

I am not here any longer...

lowbank

Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:45 pm

its crap
complete downgrade
Every days a school day.

MD80

Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:49 pm

Hello!

It´s a little bit annoying that I need to login everytime. Is this a normal feature?

The new design: It´s a very drastic change...

Best regards
Dedicated to the MD-80, MD-90, MD-95, and DC-9: www.MD-80.com

Mortyman

Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:54 pm

airkas1 wrote:
Mortyman wrote:

Most upper right corner --> settings --> Change your profile photo

Say what ? Upper right corner what ? No such thing ...

joeljack

Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:56 pm

As 98% of the posts are extremely negative and making suggestions on how it can be improved, I can't find where the moderators have responded at all. This is further infuriating the loyal airliners.net base. No answers.

Moderators: Please provide some answers to all of us. Such as, "We realize the colors make it difficult to read and are very hard on the eyes. We are looking to have the colors changed later this week back to similar old airlines.net colors."

This would go a long ways, knowing our voices are being heard. Without us, the loyal members that access this site 5-10 times a day or more somethings, this site wouldn't exist.

For someone like myself, I will be significantly reducing my time on the site until we hear that our voices are being heard.

....and PLEASE fix all the URL's so they are the same as before!!! This is super easy to do!!!

jetmatt777

Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:03 pm

joeljack wrote:
As 98% of the posts are extremely negative and making suggestions on how it can be improved, I can't find where the moderators have responded at all. This is further infuriating the loyal airliners.net base. No answers.

Moderators: Please provide some answers to all of us. Such as, "We realize the colors make it difficult to read and are very hard on the eyes. We are looking to have the colors changed later this week back to similar old airlines.net colors."

This would go a long ways, knowing our voices are being heard. Without us, the loyal members that access this site 5-10 times a day or more somethings, this site wouldn't exist.

For someone like myself, I will be significantly reducing my time on the site until we hear that our voices are being heard.

....and PLEASE fix all the URL's so they are the same as before!!! This is super easy to do!!!

We are working on a Sticky/FAQ to organize the issues that are being worked on. This will provide an easy way for everyone to see what is going on.

While I don't know and can't promise what colors might end up being changed, it is on the current priority list for the developers.

It is just behind some other critical items such as names showing publicly when they aren't supposed to, as well as some issues with photo copyright bars not appearing as they should.

We are doing our best to answer. Please keep in mind we are volunteers, and we are doing our best to keep up. I am posting this while foregoing my lunch break at work. I'll eat later tonight when I get home.

All feedback is currently being forwarded to the development team at Demand Media, and all issues are being tracked internally and updated as we get updates from the web team.

Thanks
Matt B
Airliners.net Support
Lighten up while you still can, don't even try to understand, just find a place to make your stand and take it easy

jetmatt777

Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:11 pm

MD80 wrote:
Hello!

It´s a little bit annoying that I need to login everytime. Is this a normal feature?

The new design: It´s a very drastic change...

Best regards

That is not normal. I have added that to our list of issues, and the developers are aware of this issue.

Can you please let me know which browser you use, as well as operating system. I will add that to the ticket and it will help our developers solve the issue.

airkas1

Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:13 pm

VivaGunners

Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:17 pm

scutfarcus wrote:
Yikes. Well I'm trying to be open minded, but the compact nature of the old site made it MUCH MUCH MUCH easier to see what was new in one quick glance. This design seems like you're favoring mobile devices. I know that's all the rage these days but I think doing it just for the sake of doing it really isn't the right thing to do. There's waaaaaaaayyy too much wasted space on this. Keeping things compact and efficient was so great!

Huge quote mate. Couldn't have said it any better.
Any ideas for a signature?

oakleaf1

Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:34 pm

Don't like it at all, can't get a list of Photographers so don't know who's I have looked at and which one's I havn't :( :(

Ytraveller

Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:39 pm

jetmatt777 wrote:
We are doing our best to answer. Please keep in mind we are volunteers, and we are doing our best to keep up. I am posting this while foregoing my lunch break at work. I'll eat later tonight when I get home.

All feedback is currently being forwarded to the development team at Demand Media, and all issues are being tracked internally and updated as we get updates from the web team.

Thanks
Matt B
Airliners.net Support

Thanks so much for your efforts. It must have been hard to be excited about unveiling the new site, then come and read a long list of harsh reactions and threats to leave. I do wish A.net had been more transparent about the new site before it was launched, other than sending an email to only those who had subscribed to the newsletter, two days before the unveiling. A lot of people were quite shocked and had no idea a new site was coming.

But it was definitely needed. I had seen people leave because of the old site, for example a few trip reporters.

Anyhow, great to see a much needed FAQ and hoping to see those changes implemented sometime soon.

PatrickZ80

Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:45 pm

I've just changed the theme into Flatboots instead of Airliners, that's a little better. Still not perfect, but the Airliners theme is just worthless. Best thing about the Flatboots theme is that it comes with black text in the forums while the Airliners theme comes with grey text. Black text just reads so much better on a white background.

However, it would be nice to have more themes installed. Specially one that comes with a dark background color (black or dark blue or something like that) with white text on it. The site as it is now is too light because of the white background, it needs more darkness.

G-CIVP

Re: FAREWELL

Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:45 pm

EYKD wrote:
Well, this site is dead. It's not obviously the A.net and will never be. The A.net is ruined, killed, slayed, destroyed and demolished.

Indeed. The old site had its faults but it felt like home. It feels the site has been turned into a message board rather than a photo site. Goodbye old friend, it was good while it lasted.

Mortyman

Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:04 pm

I still don't see how to:

* Make a profile picture / icon

* Mark my answered topics ( on the old site it happend automatically )

* Where are the photo albums that I hade made and that used to be on my profile page ?