Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

imac8838
Topic Author

Site upgrade

Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:59 am

Forgive me but I'm a technological dinosaur. Question 1, where are the easy links to the previous subjects like Military, Government. Air to Air or Special Color Schemes? Question 2, where do you sign up for First Class level of membership. Thanks in advance

tan1mill

Re: Site upgrade

Wed Jun 15, 2016 2:23 am

If the copyright bar at the bottom of photos is not restored soon, i will be requesting my photos be removed from this site. This upgrade is truly horrible. Where are my personal photo stats?
Love many, Trust few, Always paddle your own canoe.

jetmatt777

Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:57 am

imac8838 wrote:
Forgive me but I'm a technological dinosaur. Question 1, where are the easy links to the previous subjects like Military, Government. Air to Air or Special Color Schemes? Question 2, where do you sign up for First Class level of membership. Thanks in advance

We no longer offer paid memberships, all users will now be the same free account. Unlike the past, this free account offers full posting access to the forums.

VapourTrails

Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:23 am

jetmatt777 wrote:
imac8838 wrote:

We no longer offer paid memberships, all users will now be the same free account. Unlike the past, this free account offers full posting access to the forums.

Why was it introduced, was it to pay for the upgrade? Sorry I was away for a decade when that came in.

Was(n't) it also to stop every Jerry from signing up, like non-aviation minded people, and infiltrating the site?

I feel a bit resentful that I paid for two short-term First Class memberships and then one ongoing Premium on re-joining, now it is all free (again).. :oops:

I understand an upgrade was inevitable and overdue, but the loved design that made the site popular has been left, rather than integrated into a new design.

I hope A.net survives this in the long term because the Membership will decline I can see that already. Sadly.

jetmatt777

Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:38 am

VapourTrails wrote:
jetmatt777 wrote:
imac8838 wrote:

Why was it introduced, was it to pay for the upgrade? Sorry I was away for a decade when that came in.

Was(n't) it also to stop every Jerry from signing up, like non-aviation minded people, and infiltrating the site?

I feel a bit resentful that I paid for two short-term First Class memberships and then one ongoing Premium on re-joining, now it is all free (again).. :oops:

I understand an upgrade was inevitable and overdue, but the loved design that made the site popular has been left, rather than integrated into a new design.

I hope A.net survives this in the long term because the Membership will decline I can see that already. Sadly.

It was introduced under the previous ownership as a way to pay for the daily costs of running the site. At that time, it was essentially a two-man team maintaining the technical aspects of the website, the owner and his assistant.

Fast forward to today, and the site is owned and operated by a large media company with a much larger staff and array of resources to maintain the website. I can not speak to the financial aspects of the website, but the ownership has apparently chosen a different method of funding the site, primarily through advertising.

If you find any advertising on the website that is offensive or does not comply with community standards, please email us a description of the event (and a screenshot would be even more helpful if at all possible) and we will send it to the appropriate channels.

UnitedFlyer

Wed Jun 15, 2016 5:36 am

This is awful and may just look for another site....any chance for a "classic view?"

flipdewaf

Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:46 am

jetmatt777 wrote:
imac8838 wrote:

jetmatt777 wrote:
VapourTrails wrote:
jetmatt777 wrote:

It was introduced under the previous ownership as a way to pay for the daily costs of running the site. At that time, it was essentially a two-man team maintaining the technical aspects of the website, the owner and his assistant.

Fast forward to today, and the site is owned and operated by a large media company with a much larger staff and array of resources to maintain the website. I can not speak to the financial aspects of the website, but the ownership has apparently chosen a different method of funding the site, primarily through advertising.

If you find any advertising on the website that is offensive or does not comply with community standards, please email us a description of the event (and a screenshot would be even more helpful if at all possible) and we will send it to the appropriate channels.

The adverts that I have issues with are ALL OF THEM!! they cause a nuisance and make this once great site an utter sack of shite to try and read. I guess now if you don't pay you have no real clout as a consumer either.

How do I go about removing my photos from here?

Fred

xujian1217
Screener

Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:27 pm

tan1mill wrote:
If the copyright bar at the bottom of photos is not restored soon, i will be requesting my photos be removed from this site. This upgrade is truly horrible. Where are my personal photo stats?

Agree! I think new site not professional! And they remove copyright banner on the bottom, that is unacceptable.

jetmatt777

Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:29 pm

xujian1217 wrote:
tan1mill wrote:

Agree! I think new site not professional! And they remove copyright banner on the bottom, that is unacceptable.

We are aware that the copyright bars have disappeared. We are actively working to restore those as soon as possible. In the meantime we ask for your patience as we iron out the bugs and enhance the layout and color palletes.

Matt B.
Airliners.net Support / Customer Service

Dizzy777

Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:19 am

Advanced search isn't working properly. The boxes to select aircraft types are not populating, and even if you manually type in the details (which i have no idea why a dropdown menu is even allowing you to do that) it still just reverts to a default setting and shows the photographs for every aircraft type :/

airkas1

Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:34 am

Dizzy777 wrote:
Advanced search isn't working properly. The boxes to select aircraft types are not populating, and even if you manually type in the details (which i have no idea why a dropdown menu is even allowing you to do that) it still just reverts to a default setting and shows the photographs for every aircraft type :/

I've alerted the developers to the broken search engine and have asked for it to be treated as highest priority. Thanks.

Gianluca2747

Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:22 pm

Inizio conversazione in chat

Hi! I would like to write you due to the change of your main site...It's not bad, but now looks really common, I'm 19, and since I was16 I started sending you my pics, considering your site the best of the best, the most good-looking one with that mighty front 747 I always have seen as icon of your site. When I was younger I was looking for taking pictures for you...and that 747 really inspired me! I tried some other sites but since 2 year I upload my pics only here because it's my favourite! Please restore the 747 cover for main site!! With new look I think will be awesome!

Regards!

Gianluca

N501US

Sat Aug 06, 2016 2:56 am

Ok, so I paid for an annual first class membership because of no ads; you upgrade site and now I have ads? When can I expect my refund for services not rendered? I've been a member of this site for more years than I'd like to count. Someone unilaterally decided to mess up a good thing and rip some of us off in the process.
Fools and thieves are well disguised in the temple and the marketplace.....

JohnKrist
Head Support

Sat Aug 06, 2016 5:19 am

N501US wrote:
Ok, so I paid for an annual first class membership because of no ads; you upgrade site and now I have ads? When can I expect my refund for services not rendered? I've been a member of this site for more years than I'd like to count. Someone unilaterally decided to mess up a good thing and rip some of us off in the process.

We haven't ripped off anyone, it's over a year ago that we stopped paid memberships meaning that if you had a paid membership it should have expired. Please check your paypal transactions and you will see.

First Class ad free/watermark free accounts will be back, no ETA though
5D Mark III, 7D, 17-40 F4 L, 70-200 F2.8 L IS II, Canon 50mm 1.4, Sigma 50mm 1.4 ART, Sigma 105mm 1.4 ART, EF 1.4x II, EF 2x III, SPEEDLITE 600EX-RT

hanuise

Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:49 am

Hu,
Another topic. Do you plan to restore the link allowing to see ONLY pictures uploaded since the last visit ? I cannot find it on the new site. Thanks

ab2carlos

Mon Aug 29, 2016 3:20 am

Pleeaase!!!! Return with a "classic view" of the old and much better site! I used to stay logged for hours and hours in the old one, now I stay only for a few seconds!!

airkas1

Mon Aug 29, 2016 5:28 am

hanuise wrote:
Another topic. Do you plan to restore the link allowing to see ONLY pictures uploaded since the last visit ? I cannot find it on the new site. Thanks

I've added it to the list.