Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

rg787
Topic Author

Paid membership

Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:13 am

Since the site update there have been a lot of points I didn't really like, but this one is what is annoying the most:

PLEASE come back with the paid membership!!! I know it is great to have some new people on the forums and consequently new subjects, but seriously... People have been asking the most basic questions, like... Well, just seen a thread from 1998 being answered by a new member from like yesterday.

Really, it is not that 25 bucks is a lot, but it makes you think if you really want it... I for one, spent more than 5 years reading this forums before joining, and this was GREAT! I learned a lot of stuff and what I didn't, I tried researching! It was also great because I learned to respect this community, as I saw a lot of really good answers and people wanting to help and build knowledge, not this yahoo answers thing this site is beginning to look like!

flipdewaf

Re: Paid membership

Sat Jun 18, 2016 6:17 am

Unfortunately paid memberships are gone and we will have to get used to more trolls ans spam surrounded by border of flashing bullshit advertising. If we aren't careful this place will have "top 10 celebrity Boob jobs" and " Linda from <insert local town> made £3876 without leaving her house". I for one am going to make the most of the expectation of adverts here.

Fred

Kaphias

Sat Jun 18, 2016 6:31 am

flipdewaf wrote:
Unfortunately paid memberships are gone and we will have to get used to more trolls ans spam surrounded by border of flashing bullshit advertising. If we aren't careful this place will have "top 10 celebrity Boob jobs" and " Linda from <insert local town> made £3876 without leaving her house".

The ads are (in theory) based on your computer search history... so if that's what you're seeing, then that says a lot.

One of my ads in for Sling TV, a service I was researching a couple of days ago.
Another ad is for Virgin America flights from SEA-OGG. I was looking for those flights on their website a few days ago.

Just so you know.

airkas1

Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:00 am

Kaphias wrote:
The ads are (in theory) based on your computer search history... so if that's what you're seeing, then that says a lot.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

As for the official stance on paid memberships, this is the info you need:
We made a decision with the crew quite a while ago that watermarked photos would always show watermarks. Since premium accounts were eliminated, there's not an easy way to show non-watermarked photos unless every logged in user saw them. We have the ability to readdress how this works in the future, but for now this is the way it is.

JohnKrist
Head Support

Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:13 am

We have listened, and we will offer paid memberships, but I'm afraid it will take a few months to get it in place as the old payment platform was a mess and we need a new one.
5D Mark III, 7D, 17-40 F4 L, 70-200 F2.8 L IS II, Canon 50mm 1.4, Sigma 50mm 1.4 ART, Sigma 105mm 1.4 ART, EF 1.4x II, EF 2x III, SPEEDLITE 600EX-RT

Coal

Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:23 am

flipdewaf wrote:
surrounded by border of flashing bullshit advertising.

I seriously keep on failing to understand why people on this site have not been using an Ad Blocker (eg. AdBlocker Plus). I have never, ever seen an ad on A.net. (Or any other site for that matter).
Nxt Flts: SQ SIN-KIX | HD UKB-CTS | NH CTS-NRT | SQ NRT-SIN | AK SIN-DPS-SIN

flipdewaf

Sat Jun 18, 2016 3:54 pm

Coal wrote:
flipdewaf wrote:

I seriously keep on failing to understand why people on this site have not been using an Ad Blocker (eg. AdBlocker Plus). I have never, ever seen an ad on A.net. (Or any other site for that matter).

Only allowed to run approved software on work laptop.

Fred

fortytwoeyes

Sun Jun 19, 2016 1:09 am

JohnKrist wrote:
We have listened, and we will offer paid memberships, but I'm afraid it will take a few months to get it in place as the old payment platform was a mess and we need a new one.

Does that mean forum access will be restricted again? Or will it be a "bonus" thing, e.g. no ads for paying members?

jetmatt777

Sun Jun 19, 2016 1:22 am

fortytwoeyes wrote:
JohnKrist wrote:

Does that mean forum access will be restricted again? Or will it be a "bonus" thing, e.g. no ads for paying members?

At this time the paid membership discussion is in its infancy. I imagine it will be advertisement free, but we have no specific details. Once we get the site debugged and features restored, more intense conversations will take place on what features will be part of a paid membership.

To reference the movie Apollo 13, we don't have the whole Bible -- but we have a few verses. And those few verses are: paid membership will return, and there will be additional features that membership will have access to. Other than that, we don't have much else to share. As more details are ironed out (months away), we will be able to share more.

Matt B
Airliners.net Support

JohnKrist
Head Support

Sun Jun 19, 2016 8:14 am

I doubt that posting will be restricted for free users
5D Mark III, 7D, 17-40 F4 L, 70-200 F2.8 L IS II, Canon 50mm 1.4, Sigma 50mm 1.4 ART, Sigma 105mm 1.4 ART, EF 1.4x II, EF 2x III, SPEEDLITE 600EX-RT

rg787
Topic Author

Sun Jun 19, 2016 2:24 pm

JohnKrist wrote:
I doubt that posting will be restricted for free users

That is sad, really. Maybe you could come back with the respect thing and only allow people to post after some level of RR, or something like it. The way it is today, a 10 yo guy with nothing to do can come straight to the forums and ask why planes have wings... This is going to be a huge extra workload for the crew as you will need to keep an eye on the forums much more than you did before.

Oh, another things:
- When you log in there is no "come back to where you left off". I was replying to you and wasn't logged in for some reason, and the site brought me back to the home page. I imagine this is not something hard to fix.

- When we go see the photos, there is A LOT of info below it, most of it not necessary. Do you really need to point out that a plane called Boeing 737 is made by Boeing and not Airbus? This takes a lot of space, and you end up having to scroll to see the info you really want to and the photo becomes secondary. Maybe you could set up a UI settings page so people could toggle these things on and off, if you think it is necessary.

- I am getting used to the front page, but I have a suggestion: Those boxes look like widgets, and we can move widgets. Maybe you could allow members to reorganize those boxes to their will, it would be awesome.

- The Right Now in the Forums box: Right now it seems to be showing info from all forums, which is great and not so great depending on the way you look at it. It is nice for the guy that always sees the civil aviation forum to have a look at what is happening out of it if it is interesting to him, but it is not good for someone who couldn't care less about military av or any other forum and sees it instead of the highlights he wants. If you are going to show it all in the same box, I feel there is no need to separate forums afterwards you are treating them as one at first glance. I mean, it is a mess. Maybe you could create more boxes or allow us to choose what we see.

Another things like the forum colors, the lovely 747 on the top and the option to see all posts in a thread in one page is commonplace and I think I don't need to point out that are urgent things.

Other than that, I have to say the site is much much better on mobile, it is actually better than on the desktop.

Oh, please come back with the RR, the country flags, the member since tag, the number of posts and the local poster time/my local time tags, it was really useful.

airkas1

Sun Jun 19, 2016 2:49 pm

rg787 wrote:
Oh, another things:
- When you log in there is no "come back to where you left off". I was replying to you and wasn't logged in for some reason, and the site brought me back to the home page. I imagine this is not something hard to fix.

- When we go see the photos, there is A LOT of info below it, most of it not necessary. Do you really need to point out that a plane called Boeing 737 is made by Boeing and not Airbus? This takes a lot of space, and you end up having to scroll to see the info you really want to and the photo becomes secondary. Maybe you could set up a UI settings page so people could toggle these things on and off, if you think it is necessary.

- I am getting used to the front page, but I have a suggestion: Those boxes look like widgets, and we can move widgets. Maybe you could allow members to reorganize those boxes to their will, it would be awesome.

- The Right Now in the Forums box: Right now it seems to be showing info from all forums, which is great and not so great depending on the way you look at it. It is nice for the guy that always sees the civil aviation forum to have a look at what is happening out of it if it is interesting to him, but it is not good for someone who couldn't care less about military av or any other forum and sees it instead of the highlights he wants. If you are going to show it all in the same box, I feel there is no need to separate forums afterwards you are treating them as one at first glance. I mean, it is a mess. Maybe you could create more boxes or allow us to choose what we see.

Another things like the forum colors, the lovely 747 on the top and the option to see all posts in a thread in one page is commonplace and I think I don't need to point out that are urgent things.

1: This is on the fix-list.
2: This is on the fix-list.
3: This is on the fix-list.
4: I'll see what I can do.

Colors are indeed on the works and we're pushing that as crew.

PeterEde

Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:42 am

But can miss use a work laptop to peruse Airliners ;)
flipdewaf wrote:
Coal wrote:
flipdewaf wrote:

Only allowed to run approved software on work laptop.

Fred