scbriml

Re: Interim Solution for Readability and Scrolling Issues

Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:38 pm

speedbored wrote:
scbriml wrote:
So do we have to reinstall it each time you make a tweak?

No. I'll post every time I make a change but it's entirely up to you if/when you want to run an update.

Unless there's a change that you particularly want, or DM have made changes that break the new style and require me to do a significant update of object names, then feel free to ignore me.

OK, I probably didn't word the question very well.

Updates are not automatically picked up by previously installed Styles? In order to pick up any new updates, the Style has to be reinstalled?
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

speedbored
Topic Author

Sat Jul 02, 2016 5:10 am

scbriml wrote:
Updates are not automatically picked up by previously installed Styles? In order to pick up any new updates, the Style has to be reinstalled?

Yes. Updates are not automatic. You need to go back to https://userstyles.org/styles/129214/airliners-net and click the update button when you want to get an update.

kulverstukas

Sun Jul 03, 2016 1:26 pm

Ok, just swithced from IE to Firefox to install your style. Unfortunately, I'm not as excited as rest of posters in this forum. Site is still awfull - it's not your fault, speedbored - with poor quality photos on landing page. Also I don't know why but fonts looks coarse and unradable in Firefox at A.net (and at Anet only), like TrueType is missed and replased with old DOS fonts without and ClearType is not working :(
PS: font in reply window is even worse.

UPD: sorry for lots of misspelling but it's pain in the ass and eyes to raead my own text here... :?

speedbored
Topic Author

Mon Jul 04, 2016 5:58 am

Added an option to remove the colouring from text in posts and quotes. So none of that black on dark-blue text anymore.

Thanks to JeffSFO for the idea.

Revelation

Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:14 am

kulverstukas wrote:
Ok, just swithced from IE to Firefox to install your style. Unfortunately, I'm not as excited as rest of posters in this forum. Site is still awfull - it's not your fault, speedbored - with poor quality photos on landing page. Also I don't know why but fonts looks coarse and unradable in Firefox at A.net (and at Anet only), like TrueType is missed and replased with old DOS fonts without and ClearType is not working :(
PS: font in reply window is even worse.

Yes, I've seen that effect on some web sites and on some machines, and can't explain it. It may have something also to do with your video chip and/or driver because I see it on some machines and not on others.
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

Revelation

Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:14 am

speedbored wrote:
Added an option to remove the colouring from text in posts and quotes. So none of that black on dark-blue text anymore.

That worked for me, thanks for the quick fix.

Aircellist

Wed Jul 06, 2016 4:26 am

Me like that! Very much!

One problem, though: the thread index is hard to read. Apart from that, I second those saying that you did more about the feel of the site than DM, in a much shorter time.
"When I find out I was wrong, I change my mind. What do you do?" -attributed to John Maynard Keynes

speedbored
Topic Author

Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:36 am

Aircellist wrote:
One problem, though: the thread index is hard to read.

Feel free to suggest any way in which I can improve anything. Can't promise to implement every suggestion but many simple changes only take a few seconds to implement and can often be made optional.

For example, would reducing the brightness of the username links make the thread index easier to read?

speedbored
Topic Author

Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:28 am

Removed the numbers from the image thumbnails on the homepage.

Worth pointing out that, if DM do decide to release a new blue theme this week, as promised, with an "improved" layout, it is quite likely to break many of my changes.

I suspect that their new theme will still include far too much whitespace (even if it will be blue :) ), but we should wait and see how much better their new theme really is before deciding whether or not to go ahead with an updated Stylish style.

alberchico

Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:43 pm

speedbored wrote:
Removed the numbers from the image thumbnails on the homepage.

Worth pointing out that, if DM do decide to release a new blue theme this week, as promised, with an "improved" layout, it is quite likely to break many of my changes.

I suspect that their new theme will still include far too much whitespace (even if it will be blue :) ), but we should wait and see how much better their new theme really is before deciding whether or not to go ahead with an updated Stylish style.

I'd like to just one more time offer you thanks for your fix. It has really helped me save some serious eye strain. :D
short summary of every jewish holiday: they tried to kill us ,we won , lets eat !

CXH

Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:13 pm

Wow, thanks Speedbored! A much improved UI with the high contrast white text on a dark blue background and smaller font.
I re-sized my Chrome browser to make it less wide, and the result is much more readable.

As others have mentioned (here or the other thread), it appears DM did spend alot of time on the migration and the core back end (getting the semi-free forum software to work), but neglected the UI completely.

BTW: I saw it mentioned in the "Where did the conversation" thread go. I'm glad I found. Thanks again!!!
I've seen the future, I can't afford it. - Martin Fry

Revelation

Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:55 pm

speedbored wrote:
Unless there's a change that you particularly want, or DM have made changes that break the new style and require me to do a significant update of object names, then feel free to ignore me.

It looks like DM has done a "significant update of object names".
Colors are better but white space is no better if not worse, IMHO.
If you are inspired to redo your style to "fix" the white space again, I'll gladly try it.
Thanks again, Rev.

airkas1

Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:58 pm

Revelation wrote:

Hi Rev,
Could you please elaborate on the quoted part? I can then give the developers a better suggestion on how to improve.
Thanks!

MD88CLE

Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:24 pm

For me at least, with this last update, the search function is a bit broken. It won't offer to complete aircraft type, airline, etc.

airkas1

Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:38 pm

MD88CLE wrote:
For me at least, with this last update, the search function is a bit broken. It won't offer to complete aircraft type, airline, etc.

It's a forum search only. So it makes sense that it doesn't offer photo results.
If you go to the homepage and go to Photos --> Search, you will find the search engine. Click advanced in order to input more specific search details.

Revelation

Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:11 pm

airkas1 wrote:
Revelation wrote:

Hi Rev,
Could you please elaborate on the quoted part? I can then give the developers a better suggestion on how to improve.
Thanks!

I can't post a screen capture now, but there's still huge amounts of unused space on each screen.

This community is used to having a lot of information per screen.

We don't like scrolling continuously.

It seems the developers keep finding ways to spread things out and waste screen space.

For instance, on this very web page, the avatar is now huge on each post/reply, and next to it is unused space -- why?

Look at the start of this thread for what speedbored did with Stylish.

That's what we want -- minimize the wasted space.

The fact that he can do it proves it can be done.

airkas1

Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:21 pm

I've asked the developers to remove the space between each post. Hopefully that will improve things a little bit.

Revelation

Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:50 pm

airkas1 wrote:
I've asked the developers to remove the space between each post. Hopefully that will improve things a little bit.

I would prefer it if you sent them the pics from the first post to this thread and asked them to try to do that.

Or send them a bunch of screen dumps from the old a.net.

airkas1

Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:53 pm

I'll do that in the morning, as I'm about to call it a day.

ssteve

Tue Jul 12, 2016 2:02 am

It is at least much better since the update! I like the fonts and contrast, and it's at least readable as a conversation. It's not as good as it was beforehand, but this is a major improvement.

speedbored
Topic Author

Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:27 am

I'll wait a few days for the new official theme to settle down before deciding whether or not to do a new Stylish theme to further improve things - e.g. to make the font white instead of light grey, remove more of the whitespace, reduce the size of the avatar, etc.

But please do let me know, in the meantime, of anything that you still don't like about the new official theme.

Revelation

Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:05 am

speedbored wrote:
I'll wait a few days for the new official theme to settle down before deciding whether or not to do a new Stylish theme to further improve things - e.g. to make the font white instead of light grey, remove more of the whitespace, reduce the size of the avatar, etc.

But please do let me know, in the meantime, of anything that you still don't like about the new official theme.

It's definitely up to you as to what you do and when, and even what's do-able as they change the site underneath you.

All the comments about density in the new thread viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1337647 are valid. It seems the designers are optimizing for phone/tablet at the expense of desktop. This iteration seems better on the phone than the last one was, but still needs improvement on the desktop due to poor space utilization.

One thing I doubt you can do anything about is now the bar at the top of this screen (three hoizontal bars, FORUM, FAQ, etc) was better on first a.net 2.0 because it had a drop-down menu to jump between the various forums, is that something you can restore or is that something that's only done on the server side
Last edited by Revelation on Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Revelation

Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:07 am

airkas1 wrote:
I'll do that in the morning, as I'm about to call it a day.
Thanks for your help in trying to improve this site.

As above, I feel the comments about density in the new thread viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1337647 are valid. It seems the designers are optimizing for phone/tablet at the expense of desktop. This iteration seems better on the phone than the last one was, but still needs improvement on the desktop due to poor space utilization.

JohnKrist
Head Support

Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:43 am

We have asked for minimizing of dead space, and also less padding within posts.
5D Mark III, 7D, 17-40 F4 L, 70-200 F2.8 L IS II, Canon 50mm 1.4, Sigma 50mm 1.4 ART, Sigma 105mm 1.4 ART, EF 1.4x II, EF 2x III, SPEEDLITE 600EX-RT

SpeckSpot

Tue Jul 12, 2016 3:27 pm

Hello Speedbored,

Thanks for offering to consider improving the "new and improved" version of the site. My requests for your consideration:

Everyone has mentioned reducing the waste of vertical space, and I agree. Your previous .css file (on top of the unimproved site) was perfect in this regard.

I really like how the quotations (of other peoples comments) look now, with the nested blocks. I absolutely hated the huge double quote marks that were used before. So please consider leaving this part as is (to the extent that I have a vote :-) ).

If it is easy to let the avatar completely go away, kindly make that an option, please. No avatar. Just the name of the poster in yellow as it is, and if they are a crew member, the red box that says "crew", the yellow box that says "Topic Author" where necessary, the number of posts. For the Joined field, if it is possible to drop the actual time of day (ie show only the date), that would be great. My main complaint is I would like to (have the option to) completely get rid of the circular avatar part. It is needlessly distracting to me. I want the flavor of the thread to be the specific issues under discussion, not the personalities of the people who are doing the discussion and the avatar tilts the emphasis too much towards the latter, IMHO. I believe that if you want to know more about a specific person, it is okay to be able to click on their name and see their profile, including their avatar. But I (personally) don't want to see someone's avatar 20 times if they make 20 replies.

Also, I would have no problem if you moved these pieces of information that are currently grouped with the avatar back into the header, if that is possible. But I can live with having it on the left as it is now, provided I can turn off the actual avatars.

Thanks again for the good work!

ps. To add one more detail. Probably .css can't do this, but I'll mention it anyway in case the DM site designers see this post. For the Joined field, I think it is too wide (making the avatar box also too wide), and it has very little use to me (personally). I would prefer to see something approximate with ONE number, such as the most appropriate one of the following:

(Here, I'm not addressing Speedbored but rather the original site designers): most often we do not absolutely need to know, the exact minute someone joined, when this event of joining happened a very long time ago. It is fine to have the exact date inside the profile page for the user, but the bit which appears to the left of every post can be approximate -- just the number of days, OR the number of months, OR the number of years is enough. With a simple rule that you have to be on for a certain number of days in order to get your age quoted in months, and you have to be on for a certain number of months to get your age quoted in years. The only use of the date information that I can think of, which is to convey some sense of "rank" on the forum, is achieved better by this approach than by stating the actual exact date, because you get a sense of the poster's longevity more readily than having to do the date math in your head. And even if you did the date math, chances are, you would not come up with an answer like "10 years, 5 months, 2 weeks, 3 days, 12 hours and 5 minutes", but more like "oh, ballpark -- 6 years, I see, cool". So just display that and save the reader the math. For the 98% of situations where users don't read it.

But thanks for your work Speedbored. You are really helping to improve the user experience of the site.
Last edited by SpeckSpot on Tue Jul 12, 2016 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MD88CLE

Tue Jul 12, 2016 3:51 pm

airkas1 wrote:
MD88CLE wrote:

It's a forum search only. So it makes sense that it doesn't offer photo results.
If you go to the homepage and go to Photos --> Search, you will find the search engine. Click advanced in order to input more specific search details.

I know the forum search and the photo search are separate; the photo search, and the advanced tab in particular, is what I'm talking about.

airkas1

Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:02 pm

MD88CLE wrote:
airkas1 wrote:
MD88CLE wrote:

I know the forum search and the photo search are separate; the photo search, and the advanced tab in particular, is what I'm talking about.

Sorry, I didn't realize at the time. I've alerted the developers to the broken search function this morning.

SpeckSpot

Tue Jul 12, 2016 6:07 pm

Hi Speedbored, one more request to consider, please (this one is pure CSS, I think): a number of buttons on the forum pages display with a black foreground and a dark blue background, and it is not obvious what they mean, so it would be nice if it could be changed to a light gray foreground against the dark blue background. The buttons have the following hover texts:

"Topic Tools"
"Search"
"Advanced Search"
"First Unread Post"
"Go"
"Full Editor and Preview"

Also on the topics page, we also have (in addition to some of the above):

"Mark Topics Read"
"Subscribe Forum"

Thanks!

SpeckSpot

Thu Jul 14, 2016 12:12 pm

I notice that the Joined times are now being displayed in a more user-friendly and approximate format. A thank you to the implementers for doing this!

However the site says that my previous posting was yesterday at 6:07pm. I am pretty sure this is a mistake, because my previous posting was on 12th July 2016, at 18:07, which, on the 14th of July, is being translated as "Yesterday at 6:07pm". I suspect there is a mistake in the function that translates the raw times into approximate form that gets displayed. Not sure how the bug works, but I hope that we can agree that there is a small bug here.

airkas1

Thu Jul 14, 2016 12:40 pm

SpeckSpot wrote:
However the site says that my previous posting was yesterday at 6:07pm. I am pretty sure this is a mistake, because my previous posting was on 12th July 2016, at 18:07, which, on the 14th of July, is being translated as "Yesterday at 6:07pm". I suspect there is a mistake in the function that translates the raw times into approximate form that gets displayed. Not sure how the bug works, but I hope that we can agree that there is a small bug here.

I think we already have an item on the list for this, but I added your words to the entry to be sure.

Revelation

Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:18 am

Just a quick note to say I'd still love to see an updated Stylish style that would get rid of all the white space on the forum main pages. The current site still stinks when being used from a desktop, IMHO.

speedbored
Topic Author

Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:14 pm

Revelation wrote:
Just a quick note to say I'd still love to see an updated Stylish style that would get rid of all the white space on the forum main pages. The current site still stinks when being used from a desktop, IMHO.

I've been holding off doing an updated version until the developers have finished all of the most significant changes. Comments in the various issues threads suggest that there are still some layout changes in the pipeline.

Once it looks like things have settled down a bit, I'll try to find a couple of hours to do a new version to mop up the remaining wasted space.

Revelation

Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:28 pm

speedbored wrote:
Revelation wrote:

I've been holding off doing an updated version until the developers have finished all of the most significant changes. Comments in the various issues threads suggest that there are still some layout changes in the pipeline.

Once it looks like things have settled down a bit, I'll try to find a couple of hours to do a new version to mop up the remaining wasted space.

Excellent, thanks!