Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

B737900
Topic Author

New a.net web site. Is anybody as unimpressed as I am with it?

Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:57 pm

It's been a few weeks since the 'coming out' of the new A.net redo and I am still not with it. I now rarely go to A.net as I find it very unfriendly. I'm sure other A.netters feel the same? And, by the way, I am a First Class Member so why am I seeing ads?
Sounds like a Beaver on floats..........we're saved!!

aircanadaa330

Re: New a.net web site. Is anybody as unimpressed as I am with it?

Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:31 am

I cannot stand it. I hate the ads, I hate the watermarks, I hate that the feature telling me how many new photos have been added is gone, and I do not like how it is harder to search for certain aircraft photos. I miss the old site...I wish it would come back
Cheers;

Starlionblue

Wed Jul 06, 2016 1:03 am

I'm not against a refresh per se. The old site was outdated and lacked most modern bulletin board features. However...

The bad:
    The new site logs me out constantly, and when I log back in it sends me to the front page.
    I can no longer quote from multiple posts, or part of a post.
    Lots of space is wasted on headings and footers for every post in a thread.
    Topics that could easily be scanned with the old layout now take up multiple pages, and it is hard to refer back to old posts.
    The colour scheme does not encourage clarity. It is hard to see an overview.

The good:
    The editor is much improved and includes modern features such as preview and an easy way to edit. Using bold or underline, hyperlinking and so on are now way easier.
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

seat55a

Wed Jul 06, 2016 2:59 am

More good: it has a "responsive" CSS layout that works well for the forums on my dinky little old phone.

The CSS also theoretically means that changing the color scheme should be easy, and that was promised almost immediately, so why is it taking so long?

As to ads...ABP will fix that for you.

Moving from the custom front end into PHPBB seems to have lost a LOT of functionality and only gained the responsive format - I'm not sure why they didn't just re-skin the existing site. From my experience that would have been doable but it's a bit late now.

Revelation

Wed Jul 06, 2016 3:30 am

The implied promise was that the infrastructure needed to change, and once that was in place, the features could be improved rapidly.

The truth is that it's been over three weeks and they can't figure out how to change the color scheme.

Add to that the truly missing features as mentioned by Starlionblue and the need to install plugins to make the site usable mentioned by seat55a, and we have a truly disastrous upgrade.

Since we're in tech-ops, we can say it's gone as well as the 787 program EIS -- airliners.net 2.0 should be referred to as dreamliners.net or screamliners.net instead.
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

BoeingGuy

Wed Jul 06, 2016 4:24 am

I think it's really awful. I find nothing good about it at all. I have to re-log in everytime. It's ugly. I can't just scan down and see every title. It doesn't tell me how many unread messages there are. That awful black line that comes down from the top a lot. Need I go on?

I find nothing good at all about the "upgrade". It was forced on us, and had made A.net far less enjoyable. I find I use it a lot less than before.

I suspect my comments would be blown of as, if I don't like it then drop my membership.

PatrickZ80

Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:02 am

It's definately a step backwards. That itself would not have been so bad if they would fix the issues that have risen from the start. But they don't! It's a few weeks since the introduction and it's still as bad as it was from the start. No improvements at all!

When it was first introduced I've decided to give them a chance. Now they've blown it. I've given them a chance and they didn't take it. They've improved nothing!

apfpilot

Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:36 pm

It doesn't bother me that much I have 2 complaints that are relatively minor - it logs me out regardless of my "stay logged in" selection, and I miss the yellow star that told me what threads I'd posted in.
Opinions are my own and do not reflect an endorsement or position of my employer.

spantax

Wed Jul 06, 2016 1:26 pm

I don't like it. Changing for the sake of changing things is ridiculous. Just improve the small problems of the old site and bring it back. I would rather admire and enjoy an F-4 instead of an F-35, a Superconstellation instead of a 787 (even if the two newest are technically superior).

KC135Hydraulics

Wed Jul 06, 2016 3:12 pm

I am very unhappy with the new layout and find it has a lot of bugs and less intuitive navigation than the old site.
MSgt, USAF
KC-135R / C-17A Pneudraulic Systems Mechanic Supervisor

longhauler

Wed Jul 06, 2016 3:58 pm

B737900 wrote:
And, by the way, I am a First Class Member so why am I seeing ads?

There are no more First Class memberships. They were unrenewed several months before the refresh. AdBlock will get rid of your ads.

Starlionblue wrote:
[

You can ... it is just a bit more cumbersome.
(see what I did there?) :lol:
Just because I stopped arguing, doesn't mean I think you are right. It just means I gave up!

Starlionblue

Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:18 pm

longhauler wrote:
B737900 wrote:
And, by the way, I am a First Class Member so why am I seeing ads?

There are no more First Class memberships. They were unrenewed several months before the refresh. AdBlock will get rid of your ads.

Starlionblue wrote:
[

You can ... it is just a bit more cumbersome.
(see what I did there?) :lol:

That's fair. However it is more cumbersome to the point of irritation IMHO.
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

HGL

Thu Jul 07, 2016 2:01 am

Starlionblue wrote:

It's actually quite easy but slightly different to how it used to be.

Step one, before you even think of quoting anyone, click on the +Reply button. This will open the reply dialogue box. It will also place it at the top of the page with the posts listed below. To make things easier, click the Expand View link at the top of the thread.

Step two, scroll to the post to which you wish to reply. Highlight the text that you wish to quote and then click the quote bubble. You can then enter your response.

Repeat this step as necessary until you have quoted everyone that you wish to respond to.

Some people might find it easier just to include all the various quotes and then insert their replies to each in one go. Use whichever way works best for you.
Qui omnes despicit, omnibus displicit.

Starlionblue

Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:09 am

HGL wrote:
tep one, before you even think of quoting anyone, click on the +Reply button. This will open the reply dialogue box. It will also place it at the top of the page with the posts listed below. To make things easier, click the Expand View link at the top of the thread.

Step two, scroll to the post to which you wish to reply. Highlight the text that you wish to quote and then click the quote bubble. You can then enter your response.

Ahaaaa! Perfect. I hadn't noticed the quote bubble. :? :? :?

JohnKrist
Head Support

Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:51 am

apfpilot wrote:
I miss the yellow star that told me what threads I'd posted in.

By clicking the Search in the top left section of the forum you get a drop down where you can list topics that you have replied to

spantax wrote:
I don't like it. Changing for the sake of changing things is ridiculous. Just improve the small problems of the old site and bring it back.

It wasn't a change for the sake of changing, and the old site was broken to the point of no return, it was unmanageable code wise.
5D Mark III, 7D, 17-40 F4 L, 70-200 F2.8 L IS II, Canon 50mm 1.4, Sigma 50mm 1.4 ART, Sigma 105mm 1.4 ART, EF 1.4x II, EF 2x III, SPEEDLITE 600EX-RT

Revelation

Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:15 pm

HGL wrote:
It's actually quite easy but slightly different to how it used to be.

Step one, before you even think of quoting anyone, click on the +Reply button. This will open the reply dialogue box. It will also place it at the top of the page with the posts listed below. To make things easier, click the Expand View link at the top of the thread.

Repeat this step as necessary until you have quoted everyone that you wish to respond to.

Some people might find it easier just to include all the various quotes and then insert their replies to each in one go. Use whichever way works best for you.

Thanks!

Not as simple as Johan's 'Quote Selected Text' and still don't think we can click on the quote to go back to the source (right?) but:

THIS NEEDS TO BE IN A FAQ/HOWTO !!!

Chese

Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:07 pm

Definitely unimpressed. More of a dumpster fire than anything else. I open the site in my little laptop and its so big you don't even see photos. The style of the old forum was a million times better for readability and seeing lots of info at once. I have a big monitor on my desktop and its almost entirely white space on the forum. What a waste.
Note to airliners.net admins, I will not like you on Facebook.

airkas1

Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:30 pm

Revelation wrote:
THIS NEEDS TO BE IN A FAQ/HOWTO !!!

Done!
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1337337

Revelation

Fri Jul 08, 2016 12:34 am

airkas1 wrote:
Done!

Great, thanks!

apfpilot

Mon Jul 11, 2016 1:38 pm

JohnKrist wrote:
apfpilot wrote:
I miss the yellow star that told me what threads I'd posted in.

By clicking the Search in the top left section of the forum you get a drop down where you can list topics that you have replied to

spantax wrote:
I don't like it. Changing for the sake of changing things is ridiculous. Just improve the small problems of the old site and bring it back.

It wasn't a change for the sake of changing, and the old site was broken to the point of no return, it was unmanageable code wise.

Awesome thanks!
Opinions are my own and do not reflect an endorsement or position of my employer.

B737900
Topic Author

Mon Jul 11, 2016 4:41 pm

What irks me is that the 'upgrade' was foisted on us all at once. I do not visit a.net very often at all now. I use to love a.net but no longer do. I enjoyed it enough to pay for a First Class membership but will not waste my $$ now. The ads are very intrusive and in your face. I basically have quit my favorite website. AH now is my goto aviation site. Sad.
Sounds like a Beaver on floats..........we're saved!!