avi8tir
Topic Author

The adds on this site have gotten out of control....

Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:54 am

Im sure this thread will be deleted in a matter of minutes.... I've been using this site for over a decade and the ads have gotten so bad I am tending to read elsewhere.... First Class membership used to help but doesnt seem to do anything anymore.

ok moderators.... delete in 3. 2. 1.
*Long live the Widget*

chiad

Re: The adds on this site have gotten out of control....

Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:04 am

I agree!
The solution is just to use adblock or ublock for you browser. They're useful everywhere and you can white-list sites that you support and doesn't drown you in commercials.... especially the scam ads.

sassiciai

Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:52 am

I must concur. I have tried to cancel these adds, but the process is as frustrating (or worse) than the adds themselves, and I gave up in frustration after seeing that I needed to cancel an endless list of advertisers by visiting a different website for each ad!

It seriously reduces the a.net experience from what it was before the "refresh" of a.net

jmw99ttu

Tue Oct 04, 2016 2:52 pm

Agreed. The auto play video ads are extremely irritating too. I feel like I'm on some junk website. Between the irritating ads and the decline in the quality of posts in the forums, I think my 15 year love affair with this site is finally over.

deltal1011man

Thu Oct 06, 2016 4:10 am

This shit about it just randomly going to other pages and in one case trying to download something onto my computer needs to stop. Unless the mods are going to replace my MacBook......

rhuns

Fri Oct 07, 2016 12:14 am

I guess I'm just lucky. I've never seen an ad and never been redirected. (Chrome, Firefox and adblock)

ezola

Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:34 am

I use Firefox with adblock plus (a free add on) and it works PERFECT. No ads, no social media links, nothing. And mostly I have no guilt about using it. This is not the only site made nearly unusable by high bandwidth, high CPU usage ads. The advertisers' greed has brought this on themselves!!

But, there's one small problem? I WANT to SUPPORT this site. For years and years I've loved this site. I gladly paid my $5 a month, often paying for a full year at a time. I've downloaded over 125,000 pictures from this site which I rotate through my screen saver. This is how I've taught myself to be a very good spotter.

With the loyal and tech savvy members this site had their new approach seems amazingly counter productive.

To me, even worse than the ads, is that so many of the current group of photographers mar their photographs (which are excellent, vastly better than most of the photos from the early days of this site) with big ugly watermarks. I'll never understand why you'd work so hard to take a beautiful picture and then ruin it by slapping a big advertisement over it BUT in the old days of paid memberships it was something I did not have to worry about........

VHOGU

Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:59 am

These ads are causing the forum not to display properly in safari on my macbook. Super annoying! I have to browse using my ipad for it to not cut the end off posts..

Veetwo

Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:02 pm

VHOGU wrote:
These ads are causing the forum not to display properly in safari on my macbook. Super annoying! I have to browse using my ipad for it to not cut the end off posts..

Get an adblocker and don't give Demand Media a dollar of revenue. Don't reward bad business practices.
Airline employee and Crohn's sufferer.

LCKip

Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:59 am

I can confirm that I never have seen advertisements because I use Adblock Plus in Firefox. I consider is strange that no one of the moderators commented on this thread. If advertisements are so important for this site, why don't they tell us what's their policy. And yes, I'm prepared for a membership, let's say $5 a month, to use the site without irritant advertisements.

JohnKrist
Head Support

Fri Nov 11, 2016 12:51 pm

LCKip, we have commented in several other threads, and as far as I know there is no official stance on ad-blockers that we can commnunicate
5D Mark III, 7D, 17-40 F4 L, 70-200 F2.8 L IS II, Canon 50mm 1.4, Sigma 50mm 1.4 ART, Sigma 105mm 1.4 ART, EF 1.4x II, EF 2x III, SPEEDLITE 600EX-RT

LCKip

Fri Nov 11, 2016 1:18 pm

@JohnKrist, Thanks for your explanation. It's clear now. But, keep in mind that I'm not reading every thread which is the reason why I'm not aware of this info.

JohnKrist
Head Support

Fri Nov 11, 2016 1:35 pm

LCKip wrote:
@JohnKrist, Thanks for your explanation. It's clear now. But, keep in mind that I'm not reading every thread which is the reason why I'm not aware of this info.

The same unfortunately goes for us in crew as well
5D Mark III, 7D, 17-40 F4 L, 70-200 F2.8 L IS II, Canon 50mm 1.4, Sigma 50mm 1.4 ART, Sigma 105mm 1.4 ART, EF 1.4x II, EF 2x III, SPEEDLITE 600EX-RT

readytotaxi

Mon Nov 21, 2016 5:12 pm

Can really recommend Firefox with Adblock + add on, very simple install and use, improves the experience. :wave:
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!
Growing older, but not up.