What search results layout do you prefer?

Poll ended at Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:04 pm

One column (like the old site)
403 (69%)
Two columns (current layout)
181 (31%)

Total votes: 584

dmmatt
Crew
Topic Author

[Poll] Do you prefer one or two columns in A.net search results?

Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:04 pm

Hey A.net fans,

We have had a number of comments from community members requesting a return to a one column layout on our detailed search results pages. The current layout displays two columns of photos (when viewed on a desktop size monitor):

https://www.airliners.net/search

Please let us know what you prefer! This poll is only in regards to the detailed layout and not the card layout.

Thanks,

M
My signature goes here.

RacheyFlies

Re: [Poll] Do you prefer one or two columns in A.net search results?

Fri Nov 18, 2016 11:53 pm

I prefer 2 columns, because the new site makes me discussing without becoming a First Class member.
The best plane I've flown is an A380. They were the biggest and the best than other plane I've been on. :lol:

cfichad

Fri Nov 18, 2016 11:54 pm

Please do not take this the wrong way, I wish you would go back to the old format in every area. I used to look at the Forum everyday when I came home from work as it kept me up to date on the Airline Industry as a whole, now I avoid your page. You were one of the things I looked forward to in my day and now, I rarely look at the sight because I don't think it is user friendly at all.

Just my two cents.

Thank you!
A proud American who loves his country and opposes Donald Trump and the Trump agenda!

N867DA

Sat Nov 19, 2016 12:26 am

Information used to be presented a lot more compactly and logically. When pictures are in one column I can simply scroll without moving my eyes until I find something interesting and then move my eyeballs a little to the right to get all the details. When there are two columns I have to constantly shift my eyes from one side of my screen to the other...which means I look at far fewer pictures than before. It seems trivial but it gets annoying very quickly because my cadence is constantly disrupted.
A nation turns its lonely eyes to you

mariner

Sat Nov 19, 2016 12:31 am

Perhaps there should be a third voting option, for those of us who don't care whether it is one column or two?

I am completely comfortable with the new site and have been for a long time. There are a couple of things I miss (flags and age groups) but they're fairly trivial. Otherwise, for the most part, I find the new site easier to use than the old.

I understand that you want to involve the membership, perhaps because of the uproar that the change in site caused, but even democracy has its limits - LOL. Whether it's one column or two columns really doesn't matter to me, I'm surprised ti is an issue, and I don't really understand those who are so wedded to the old site that they can't move on.

mariner
aeternum nauta

RacheyFlies

Sat Nov 19, 2016 1:02 am

mariner wrote:
Perhaps there should be a third voting option, for those of us who don't care whether it is one column or two?

I am completely comfortable with the new site and have been for a long time. There are a couple of things I miss (flags and age groups) but they're fairly trivial. Otherwise, for the most part, I find the new site easier to use than the old.

I understand that you want to involve the membership, perhaps because of the uproar that the change in site caused, but even democracy has its limits - LOL. Whether it's one column or two columns really doesn't matter to me, I'm surprised ti is an issue, and I don't really understand those who are so wedded to the old site that they can't move on.

mariner

Maybe I should pick 1 column, but I pick up 2 column, my bad. :o
The best plane I've flown is an A380. They were the biggest and the best than other plane I've been on. :lol:

rta

Sat Nov 19, 2016 1:17 am

cfichad wrote:
Please do not take this the wrong way, I wish you would go back to the old format in every area. I used to look at the Forum everyday when I came home from work as it kept me up to date on the Airline Industry as a whole, now I avoid your page. You were one of the things I looked forward to in my day and now, I rarely look at the sight because I don't think it is user friendly at all.

Just my two cents.

Thank you!

I strongly agree. The new site is extremely annoying to use, and now forcing us to see newly added photos while we're trying to read a discussion is even more annoying.

WarRI1

Sat Nov 19, 2016 1:49 am

I have no problem with two columns.
It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees.

ATA L1011

Sat Nov 19, 2016 2:06 am

mariner wrote:

mariner

I'm with you on this! :bigthumbsup:
Treat others as you expect to be treated!

KruegerFlaps

Sat Nov 19, 2016 3:13 am

mariner wrote:
Perhaps there should be a third voting option, for those of us who don't care whether it is one column or two?..

mariner

There already is a third option; don't vote. :smile:

With regard to the vote, it is good to see that input is being sought. Before the change members were advised that there would be a survey conducted to see what changes people wanted. That was obviously put in the too hard basket and not carried out. Given the outrage expressed by many after the change and the claims that the site owners are unresponsive, it is a good move to see that users are being invited to express an opinion. Of course whatever decisions are made, there will always be some who would prefer something different.
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt Speech, 1783

SeaDoo

Sat Nov 19, 2016 3:28 am

On my phone I slight prefer the new forum page. I do wish that you could see when a topic was started and accurately see when the last post was made. I wish you could read a topic, then when you come back to it, clearly tell what the new posts that have been made since you last viewed it. I also wish each post was chronologically numbered. You start to read a topic, have to stop, but can remember, I left off on post #23, etc.

For the pictures, that I mainly view on my laptop, I much preferred the old site where I can scroll through the pictures, and when I click on one I want to enlarge, it opens a new tab, not on the same tab that I was viewing.

From both my phone and laptop, in the forum section, I liked the old system where if you are reading something and there is a link, if you click on the link it opens a new tab. That is much better than the current system where when you click on the link it covers your article and you have to go back to get to the article.

Lastly, to get myself in some hot (Boeing vs. Airbus) water, I miss the old 747 at the top of the page. This is the least of my complaints, but I thought I would throw it out there.

mariner

Sat Nov 19, 2016 4:11 am

KruegerFlaps wrote:
There already is a third option; don't vote. :smile:

Certainly that's an option - an option I have taken - but I think it's a poor one.

Only people who care one way or the other will or can vote, because those are the only choices. But what if the "don't care" voters outnumber either group? I'm not saying they would, but then management might just be able to get on and do what they want with their site, although obviously, they'd get feedback on any change - LOL.

Just for the record, I came to like the "white site" very much indeed, I never particularly liked the blue and I found the white easier to read. I don't actually "care" either way, it doesn't change my attitude to the site. That's part of how I feel now - one column or two, I'll just go on using the site for my own purposes and ignore everything else.

KruegerFlaps wrote:
With regard to the vote, it is good to see that input is being sought. Before the change members were advised that there would be a survey conducted to see what changes people wanted. That was obviously put in the too hard basket and not carried out. Given the outrage expressed by many after the change and the claims that the site owners are unresponsive, it is a good move to see that users are being invited to express an opinion. Of course whatever decisions are made, there will always be some who would prefer something different.

I don't recall Johan ever taking votes of how people wanted the site to look and to run - he may have done so, but I don't remember it. People seem so reluctant to embrace change, if he had taken votes we might not have had several of the features he decided were a good idea.

mariner
aeternum nauta

WyomingWind

Sat Nov 19, 2016 4:24 am

Would much prefer the old site format for my vote, easier to view from my desktop.

CanadaFair

Sat Nov 19, 2016 5:10 am

Prefer 2 columns, why are people having a problem with that? please let some of the new introductions remain already alot of the newer features have gone and its beginning to feel like the old site, apart from the blue colour and home page look nothing else needed to be changed.

Being able to delete and edit our own posts was a real nice touch but taken away unecessarily, did the moderator job get too boring with nothing to do?

rta wrote:
cfichad wrote:

Just my two cents.

Thank you!

I strongly agree. The new site is extremely annoying to use, and now forcing us to see newly added photos while we're trying to read a discussion is even more annoying.

I like the newly added photos feature since I dont check database, its nice to see if something interesrting has been added while browsing forums at the same time.

Please keep it.
Last edited by CanadaFair on Sat Nov 19, 2016 5:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

CanadaFair

Sat Nov 19, 2016 5:17 am

mariner wrote:

mariner

Glad flags are gone, they brought out the worst in people at times.

Please keep all the new changes as much as possible, if you can just bring the multiple quote feature back, or does it still exist?

its a shame votes will be taking the photos back to single column look, is it for aesthetics or nostalgia?
Last edited by CanadaFair on Sat Nov 19, 2016 5:34 am, edited 4 times in total.

Galaxy1530

Sat Nov 19, 2016 7:04 am

This is my opinion but I rather have the 2 columns. Sorry for the people that wanted the one column, just my opinion. (Anyways one column is winning the poll's so far!!!) :hyper:
People who dream of flying will always dream of flying until it comes true, like me!
-Galaxy1530

JohnKrist
Head Support

Sat Nov 19, 2016 8:22 am

I find it somewhat amusing that one column is winning when we at the same time hear complaints about endless scrolling
:duck:
5D Mark III, 7D, 17-40 F4 L, 70-200 F2.8 L IS II, Canon 50mm 1.4, Sigma 50mm 1.4 ART, Sigma 105mm 1.4 ART, EF 1.4x II, EF 2x III, SPEEDLITE 600EX-RT

VapourTrails

Sat Nov 19, 2016 9:43 am

KruegerFlaps wrote:
With regard to the vote, it is good to see that input is being sought. Before the change members were advised that there would be a survey conducted to see what changes people wanted. That was obviously put in the too hard basket and not carried out. Given the outrage expressed by many after the change and the claims that the site owners are unresponsive, it is a good move to see that users are being invited to express an opinion.

:checkmark:

Yeah, I'm all for more user surveys on other aspects of the site too in the future. It was a welcome addition to see this one, as a start.
A.net member: 2001-2004, 2014-

Alsatian

Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:17 am

JohnKrist wrote:
I find it somewhat amusing that one column is winning when we at the same time hear complaints about endless scrolling

Maybe because users hope that with the return of one column, pictures will not be displayed so ridiculously small anymore.
Next flights :
FRA-DTW (DL) / DTW-LAS (DL) / LAS-SEA (DL) / SEA-CDG (AF) / CDG-FRA (AF)

Olddog

Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:49 am

I prefer to not have every thread interrupted with the latest addition in the middle. Thank you
When UK was in it wanted a lot of opt-outs, now it is out it wants opt-ins

mjoelnir

Sat Nov 19, 2016 11:16 am

no opinion, either one or two rows is fine

JohnKrist
Head Support

Sat Nov 19, 2016 2:44 pm

Alsatian wrote:
JohnKrist wrote:

Maybe because users hope that with the return of one column, pictures will not be displayed so ridiculously small anymore.

So two rows with larger images would be better?
We also have to take into consideration the wishes of the photographers, as larger images means less clicks
5D Mark III, 7D, 17-40 F4 L, 70-200 F2.8 L IS II, Canon 50mm 1.4, Sigma 50mm 1.4 ART, Sigma 105mm 1.4 ART, EF 1.4x II, EF 2x III, SPEEDLITE 600EX-RT

Alsatian

Sat Nov 19, 2016 3:25 pm

JohnKrist wrote:
We also have to take into consideration the wishes of the photographers, as larger images means less clicks

Since the new layout, smaller images means way less clicks.
BTW it was a way to explain how users could complain about scrolling and vote for one column. I am one of those as I wish a little bit larger images (like the older site) and less spaces mainly for research section or statistics pages.
Next flights :

Veetwo

Sat Nov 19, 2016 6:35 pm

JohnKrist wrote:
Alsatian wrote:
JohnKrist wrote:

Yes, whichever method increases clicks and RVP I'm for. Browsing experience comes in second.
Airline employee and Crohn's sufferer.

Alsatian

Sat Nov 19, 2016 7:16 pm

Veetwo wrote:

Yes, whichever method increases clicks and RVP I'm for. Browsing experience comes in second.

Browsing experiences have huge influence on the number of clicks.
Next flights :

JKPhotos
Screener

Sat Nov 19, 2016 9:06 pm

As much as I loved the old site, its sdesign was still rather outtdated. Don't get me wrong, no need to get everything back to the old style.

In the end one column is also okay, but then please, please, please make the thumbnails larger, just as every modern website has.
The old site was designed for very low resolutions like 1280px or so, but they have evolved, so please take this into account.

And there are quite a few good things that come with the new layout.

My 2 cents.

NAPADL1976

Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:41 pm

One column.

Galaxy1530

Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:58 pm

Nice to see everyone expressing their opinions.
People who dream of flying will always dream of flying until it comes true, like me!
-Galaxy1530

fly727

Sun Nov 20, 2016 6:13 am

One column.

A.net used to be my favorite site; it presented the information in a concise and easy-to-use-manner. To me, the redesign was a complete failure.

RM.
There are no stupid questions... just stupid people!

aagold

Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:46 am

Definitely a single column.

hma350

Mon Nov 21, 2016 6:38 am

One Column

arvo

Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:10 am

One column

spompert

Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:56 am

Two columns and or larger thumbnails (or else standard view on card display)

unattendedbag

Mon Nov 21, 2016 5:07 pm

NAPADL1976 wrote:
One column.

fly727 wrote:
One column.

RM.

aagold wrote:
Definitely a single column.

hma350 wrote:
One Column

arvo wrote:
One column

you know this is a poll thread. responding with your choice is worthless. you have to vote.
Slower traffic, keep right

cosyr

Mon Nov 21, 2016 5:54 pm

I don't care about One Column vs Two, but I miss the feature where you used to be able to see More Pictures like these with a combination of factors like Location, Plane and Airline. I know you can click on individual factors, but not multiple. Also I appreciate all the information with each picture, but I think certain information should be more prominent than others. It is hard to find the Comment under the picture and I think basic information like Airline, Airport, Plane and Registration Number should be more obvious than say Line Number, for instance.

Also, does anyone know if there is a way to search for interior only shots on the new page? I used to go under aircraft information and click on See More Interior Photos, but since that section is gone, I can't seem to search for say 757 interiors and sort them by airline.

airkas1
Head Screener

Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:49 pm

Kind of off-topic for this thread, but..

cosyr wrote:
I miss the feature where you used to be able to see More Pictures like these with a combination of factors like Location, Plane and Airline. I know you can click on individual factors, but not multiple.

You should be able to do this using the cross data search. But at the moment, the categories aren't listed, so that won't do much good. This is on the list to get fixed.

cosyr wrote:
Also I appreciate all the information with each picture, but I think certain information should be more prominent than others. It is hard to find the Comment under the picture and I think basic information like Airline, Airport, Plane and Registration Number should be more obvious than say Line Number, for instance.

I don't get this... The comment is super easy to see, as well as the airline/airport/aircraft/registration.

cosyr wrote:
Also, does anyone know if there is a way to search for interior only shots on the new page? I used to go under aircraft information and click on See More Interior Photos, but since that section is gone, I can't seem to search for say 757 interiors and sort them by airline.

Interior photos in general: https://www.airliners.net/search?photoCa ... lay=detail
The advanced photo search will yield the majority of the desired results.

cosyr

Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:34 am

airkas1 wrote:
cosyr wrote:
Also I appreciate all the information with each picture, but I think certain information should be more prominent than others. It is hard to find the Comment under the picture and I think basic information like Airline, Airport, Plane and Registration Number should be more obvious than say Line Number, for instance.

I don't get this... The comment is super easy to see, as well as the airline/airport/aircraft/registration.

The picture format seems to have reverted back to the previous format since I last searched. All solved as far as I'm concerned.

Gr8Circle

Tue Nov 22, 2016 5:37 pm

cfichad wrote:

Just my two cents.

Thank you!

Absolutely agree......I just can't figure out why A.net decided to change the site.....everything was so near perfect....some improvements would have been welcome.....but changing it so drastically and taking it backwards was devastating for those of us who made a.net a part of our every day life.....the old site was so easy to use and felt like family.....I too used to spend a good deal of time everyday on the site.....now I just skim through and get out......it's become so user unfriendly....leaves me shaking my head in amazement every time I visit the site.....definitely would love to see the old site back again....

CanadianNorth

Thu Nov 24, 2016 3:04 am

I prefer the old over the new. I have nothing against progress and fully agree much of the site was due for an update, but I found most of the old site was laid out in a very simple and logical way, and now when I visit the site the first thing that comes to mind is "blobs of stuff everywhere".
HS-748, like a 747 but better!

olli

Thu Nov 24, 2016 3:46 am

I miss the old site so much.

Regards,

OA940

Thu Nov 24, 2016 12:47 pm

I like the new site, it allowed much more activity in the forums. And the old one needed an update. But the old layout is better. Just looking at the photos on one side and the details on the other. We would be wasting time by looking in two colums. It's like the ATC ''point'' and ''decimal''. When you are searching for a while, you earn a lot of time. That's my only complain from the new site.
A350/CSeries = bae

n729pa

Thu Nov 24, 2016 12:49 pm

Gr8Circle wrote:
cfichad wrote:

Just my two cents.

Thank you!

Absolutely agree......I just can't figure out why A.net decided to change the site.....everything was so near perfect....some improvements would have been welcome.....but changing it so drastically and taking it backwards was devastating for those of us who made a.net a part of our every day life.....the old site was so easy to use and felt like family.....I too used to spend a good deal of time everyday on the site.....now I just skim through and get out......it's become so user unfriendly....leaves me shaking my head in amazement every time I visit the site.....definitely would love to see the old site back again....

Like a great number of people I totally agree with these comments, and the new site is a nightmare to navigate. At times I just give up and google something or look on another site.

ptrjong

Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:08 am

I have no strong opinion on the question, but the main problem with the detailed view is that the thumbnails are far too small on many screens.

I have come to like the card view. The only thing missing there now is a little room for the caption. Some photos are just meaningless without a caption. Long captions can be cut off on the card.
This would make the detailed view redundant in my view.

(Oh, and pleeeaaase give us back a regular search results page when clicking on a 'Photographer' link, instead of that bloody profile page.)
The only difference between me and a madman is that I am not mad (Salvador Dali)

RedwoodFlyer

Fri Nov 25, 2016 3:41 pm

Single column is waste of time. Too many pages to sort through on many searches. Two column reduces the number of pages of results to something more reasonable.

You might just want to make this a user preference setting.

hellion

Fri Nov 25, 2016 11:24 pm

cfichad wrote:

Just my two cents.

Thank you!

These are my thoughts exactly. This used to be my favourite website, now I rarely take a peek. Sadly it also means I´ve fallen off the wagon of the latest news in the aviation business. Change is not automatically a good thing. If it works, don´t mess with it.

chiccomanca

Sat Nov 26, 2016 4:08 pm

I prefer one column
Enrico Manca

mcg

Sun Nov 27, 2016 3:15 pm

One column for sure. I can't figure out where to vote, but if I could I'd vote for one column. And I'd use A.net more as a result.

SoJo

Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:05 pm

If I had to choose it would be one column but, at the end of the day..... Say no more
RAF Abingdon 1967. I met Beverley from Blackburn. Fantastic!

readytotaxi

Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:47 pm

cfichad wrote:

Just my two cents.

Thank you!

Agree with you.
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!
Growing older, but not up.

tw747

Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:38 pm

One Column is my vote