dmmatt
Crew
Topic Author

New Airliners.net Homepage Preview

Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:20 pm

Hey A.net fans,

A while back we announced that a new Airliners.net homepage was in the works and we're getting close to being ready to launch it!

The design of this new homepage has been closely modeled after the old A.net homepage, and the decision to return to this style was largely due to community feedback. You can preview the new homepage at the following URL:

https://www.airliners.net/homepage-redux

UPDATE: New homepage has gone live and the above URL no longer works. You can now find the new homepage on the homepage!

We are going to keep this thread open for community feedback as long as any discussions remain polite and any criticism is constructive. :)

Thanks everyone!

Regards,

Matt
My signature goes here.

A388

Re: New Airliners.net Homepage Preview

Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:32 pm

I like it as it indeed reminds me of the old website which I liked more compared to the current new website. Thanks!!!

A388

spompert

Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:36 pm

I prefer the current homepage which is now online. The good thing about that are the bigger top 5 photos and I really like the big Photographer`s Choice photos. What I think is good of the new design is the search function on the frontpage and the categories of photos to choose from directly. I don`t see the use of the Facebook space and the top rated photos which will probably not change much during different times. Also the current homepage looks more professional to me. So my advice would be to not change it besides integrating the search function somehow.
Last edited by spompert on Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

stealth777

Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:39 pm

definitely reminds me of the former homepage which I prefer to the current one. also seems easier to navigate, but it all comes down to personal preference. But I think the colors are better with this newer layout as well.

william

Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:51 pm

As was stated the older style is easier to navigate.

flybynight

Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:54 pm

Old style was so much better. Don't forget about the747 logo. That should be part of it.
Heia Norge!

Revelation

Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:12 pm

I prefer the new/updated to the current. The current one (to me) is more style and less substance, and I prefer substance. Others may see it differently.
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

Devilfish

Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:20 pm

That is really nice and pleasing to the eyes...and hopefully easier to navigate too (with better 'quoting' function). :bigthumbsup:
"Everyone is entitled to my opinion." - Garfield

MHG

Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:21 pm

I´d definitely like to have a "refurbished" old website as shown in the preview.
The actual layout is a bit bland and not very "inviting" to stay longer on a.net ...
Flying is not inherently dangerous but it is very unforgiving in case of carelessness, incapacity or neglect.

atcsundevil

Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:23 pm

flybynight wrote:
Old style was so much better. Don't forget about the747 logo. That should be part of it.

That will hopefully be coming back at some point, but it affects the whole site, so it's a much more difficult task than it would appear.

n92r03

Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:23 pm

Devilfish wrote:
That is really nice and pleasing to the eyes...and hopefully easier to navigate too (with better 'quoting' function). :bigthumbsup:

Agreed, what Devilfish said. Fix the quote feature so that one can quote a portion or a phrase vs. the entire post. Furthermore, how about condensing the thread titles/topics so that more are listed on a single page?

Thank you-

vhtje

Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:26 pm

Better. However, please bring back 'Wings of the Web' QF 747 taking off!
I only turn left when boarding aircraft. Well, mostly. All right, sometimes. OH OKAY - rarely.

AWACSooner

Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:27 pm

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY better than the one right now.

SQ773

Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:29 pm

I like it !! Reminds me of the old site but still is revamped. Very clean also.
Just bring back the old photo search engine and everybody will be more than happy ! :stirthepot:

atcsundevil

Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:31 pm

n92r03 wrote:
Devilfish wrote:

Agreed, what Devilfish said. Fix the quote feature so that one can quote a portion or a phrase vs. the entire post. Furthermore, how about condensing the thread titles/topics so that more are listed on a single page?

Thank you-

To an extent, this might be a limitation of phpBB. It is on the list, so the developers will be looking at their options. There were some functions on the old site that were nice and we all got used to, but were fairly unique to that site platform. I'm no expert on phpBB, so I don't know what can be done with the quote feature to improve its function to the level we were accustomed. There has been huge progress made on all fronts in recent months, so hopefully some patience pays off! Other phpBB platform sites use the same quote feature we currently have.

hz747300

Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:39 pm

I like the beta one better. Not solely because it reminds me of the old site, with larger type; but it appears very easy to navigate both forums and pictures from a single starting point.
Keep on truckin'...

slvrblt

Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:42 pm

NOW, THERE YOU GO. BRAVO. Much preferred the original, and it would be nice to have some of the old capabilities back, like the hover over airport city codes that would tell you what the location was.
..everything works out in the end.

atcsundevil

Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:02 pm

slvrblt wrote:
it would be nice to have some of the old capabilities back, like the hover over airport city codes that would tell you what the location was.

I don't think that's doable. That was a very unique feature of the old site platform that functioned poorly in the later days.

AirlineCritic

Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:03 pm

Looks nice and clean. I have two pieces of feedback, however:

1/ reduce the amount of screen estate (or eliminate) the list of top photographers; same for the external news
2/ increase (by a little) the number of forum articles displayed

einsteinboricua

Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:09 pm

THIS is what I thought the revamped look would be like. This is definitely cleaner and more aesthetically pleasing than the current layout.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

slvrblt

Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:21 pm

atcsundevil wrote:
slvrblt wrote:
it would be nice to have some of the old capabilities back, like the hover over airport city codes that would tell you what the location was.

I don't think that's doable. That was a very unique feature of the old site platform that functioned poorly in the later days.

Yeah, I also noticed it had gotten kind of wonky towards the end. I thought it was due to the old site not being properly maintained anymore, due to a new site coming.
I would say I probably know 75-80% of the codes that get posted on here but I thought it was a neat thing to have.
..everything works out in the end.

blueflyer

Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:56 pm

I vote nay for both the old and new versions. I'm more interested in the forum contents than aviation photography, and both old and new versions "waste" too much screen on photo content. If I really had to choose, I'd take the current one BUT I'd swap the Top Photographers and Latest News sections for one another.
The Trump/Johnson special relationship: Special people on both sides of the Atlantic

LatAmFlyer

Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:56 pm

STILL no airport/airline flags. I have written them a half-dozen times about this and I don't even get courtesy of a response.

Mortyman

Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:04 pm

The old one is better and if you can revert back to the old picture search engine that would be great. The new one is too complex and is difficult to navigate.

LamboAston

Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:04 pm

I prefer the current one, as it shows off the photos well, and has a far cleaner look. The light blue (in my opinion) doesn't look as good as the darker blues.
AS350, B733/4/7/8, B744/8, B762/3, B77E/L/W, B789, A319, A320, A321, A332, A346, A380, AT73/5/6, Q300, Q400, CR2/7, E190, S340, B1900C/D, E110 (E for epic)
NZ, EK, QF, SQ, UA, US, CO, FZ, FR, U2, BA, VA, VS, MH, EI, EY, LH, EN, NM, TG, GZ

JohnKrist
Head Support

Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:25 pm

LatAmFlyer wrote:
STILL no airport/airline flags. I have written them a half-dozen times about this and I don't even get courtesy of a response.

You have gotten a response, right here :hissyfit:
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1349135&p=19225131#p19225429
5D Mark III, 7D, 17-40 F4 L, 70-200 F2.8 L IS II, Canon 50mm 1.4, Sigma 50mm 1.4 ART, Sigma 105mm 1.4 ART, EF 1.4x II, EF 2x III, SPEEDLITE 600EX-RT

speedbored

Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:38 pm

I like the proposed look - it's considerably more compact than the current one.

But it's difficult to decide which one is better as there are no adverts included in the proposed "new" look. It might be helpful if you could also include the adverts so that people can make a more informed decision - the proposed look could easily be ruined by adverts squeezing themselves in all over the place.

mxaxai

Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:46 pm

I'll be honest. Even though I hated the new design initially, I have become accustomed to it. Therefore, I will highlight some pros of the current design: The dark blue is a lot softer on the eyes than the very light blue dominating the "new" one. It is also a lot more consistent. Additionally, the current design features todays top photos very prominently, which I enjoy personally. I simply use the homepage now to enjoy beautiful photos, while the forums supply my daily dose of information. I am not sure whether you really need to place the social media links in front. Photographers choice, even though it has moved to the bottom of the page, is beautifully done with the slide show today IMO. I have mixed feelings about that compromise between size and placement.

In general it seems you replaced the unused dark blue space with light blue space and titles. Try to make better use of the spaces and utilise them more wisely than spreading some here and some there.

On the other hand, the search function reappearing is nice. If you could move it down a little, so that the 5 top images get the full screen width again, it would be even better. It would also be more symmetrical.

Now some suggestions:
It would be awesome if the forums received the homepage style menu. The featured thread's last post should be clickable. Make including the post number of a quoted post possible.

Pardon me if there is too much critiscism, but it is always easier to spot what one dislikes than what approaches perfection.

Revelation

Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:46 pm

Wow, folks, just wow. The thread title is "New Airliners.net Homepage Preview". Can't we just stick to commenting on the homepage?
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

beeweel15

Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:20 pm

Looks like the old home page with a great update. If possible can you improve the quote feature. In the old format when you highlighted and quoted a line that line only showed up in the response box currently the whole post including pictures shows up even though you high lighted only a line or two

Btblue

Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:20 pm

Really, really like it, great job. I wonder though if it's possible to include under 'right now in the form' a preview of military or another forum just to possibly create jump through a from the homepage and catch the attention of people who would maybe never visit a particular forum. Use up the space on the left. Dunno...depends on what user stats tell you.

Great that you're making the changes and consulting with users. After an initial bad spell, the team are doing a great job!

Would love to see the 747 at the top of the page.

Other than that, rock and roll guys!

Btblue.

SOBHI51

Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:02 am

Very nice, best thing since all the changes.
I am against any terrorist acts committed under the name of Islam

canyonblue17

Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:06 am

No offense but it looks like the old and new websites had a bratty kid together. The Top 5 photos are way too small because of the location of the search engine. As you scroll down there seems to be little to no organization of the boxes below. Having previously worked in newspaper page layout production - I can tell you no editor in their right mind would approve this design.
negative ghostrider the pattern is full

m0ssy

Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:35 am

Please make it happen. It's not as though the new page is bad, but after 16 years of following this site, I love the older layout so much more! :)
Follow me on Instagram! @eug_spotter :airplane:

jetliners

Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:55 am

It reminds me of our old friend and love it already. Thank you for listening and thanks for all the members who keep giving valuable feedback for our beloved website.

Btw, why does A.Net use B747 pic as the website heading? What about using both 747 and 380 optionally, for instance, what about an Animate Bitmap Image to show both aircraft individually?
Last edited by jetliners on Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:08 am, edited 2 times in total.

christao17

Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:04 am

Looks fantastic and I really appreciate that the A.net team listened to the feedback from the community.
More than a dozen years flying in and around Asia...

Byron1976

Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:17 am

It's an update of the old homepage of Anet. I like it, that was the answer to the update to the new web standard.

UnitedIsBae

Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:21 am

yes, use the redux and bring back the triva.
If it ain't Boeing I ain't going PERIOD

atcsundevil

Fri Dec 16, 2016 2:16 am

beeweel15 wrote:
Looks like the old home page with a great update. If possible can you improve the quote feature. In the old format when you highlighted and quoted a line that line only showed up in the response box currently the whole post including pictures shows up even though you high lighted only a line or two

I referenced this above already. The quote function will be looked at in due time, but it is potentially a limitation of the phpBB platform. You can easily quote multiple posts by using the full preview and editor, scrolling down, scrolling through the list of past comments, finding the posts you want to quote, and clicking the quote icon. The developers will look at potential solutions (it's on the list), but highlighting certain elements of a quote like we did before may not be possible. That isn't a function used on any other phpBB platform forum.

jetliners wrote:
Btw, why does A.Net use B747 pic as the website heading? What about using both 747 and 380 optionally, for instance, what about an Animate Bitmap Image to show both aircraft individually?

I also referenced this topic in a previous post.. It isn't as simple as pasting a picture up top. Changing it affects the entire site. My understanding is that it will be coming, but that is going to take a lot of work to do it.

aerokiwi

Fri Dec 16, 2016 2:18 am

slvrblt wrote:
NOW, THERE YOU GO. BRAVO. Much preferred the original, and it would be nice to have some of the old capabilities back, like the hover over airport city codes that would tell you what the location was.

THIS!

The single most useful feature of the old site that hasn't carried over to the new.

Reintroducing this feature would increase my visits, my dwell-time and my participation.

Dominion301

Fri Dec 16, 2016 2:35 am

Any and all features that make the site look and feel more like the old a.net are positive developments in my books.

caleb1

Fri Dec 16, 2016 2:38 am

I think it's great!!!!!!!

seat1a

Fri Dec 16, 2016 2:39 am

Nice update. What happened to the falling snow feature during Winter?! ;-)

My only complaint is the search boxes. The former pull down menus were so much more functional. My two cents.

AA737-823

Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:05 am

The only feature I care about is the "### number of photos added since your last visit."
I want that feature back.

kabq737

Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:31 am

Looks awesome! It looks like a modernized version of the old site! I miss the function where you could hover over an airport code and be shown the location but I understand that could be a challenge to integrate. Would it be possible to have a tool bar up top or on the side with an aircraft/airport code lookup? Just an idea. Overall I like the idea of this homepage allot!
Been on: 320, 321, 333, 733, 73G, 738, 739, 744, 752, 763, 764, 772, 789, C208, CR7, CR9, BE20, MD83, MD88, MD90, E70, E75, E90, TRIM
Flown: SEEKER, C150M C172N, C172R, C172S, C182RG, DA40, PA-46
Airliners.net Forum Moderator

Softaero

Fri Dec 16, 2016 4:23 am

Better, but the current (non-redux) home page is more suitable for mobile users.
According to all known laws of aviation, there is no way a bee should be able to fly

AC853

Fri Dec 16, 2016 5:20 am

Much better. Thanks for listening to our less than complementary comments on the new site.

cmandel

Fri Dec 16, 2016 5:59 am

Looks great. Thanks.

SomebodyInTLS

Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:01 am

To be honest I never ever see the homepage since I'm only interested in the forum. CivAv is my bookmark...
"As with most things related to aircraft design, it's all about the trade-offs and much more nuanced than A.net likes to make out."

SVJ77W

Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:25 am

This looks very user friendly with everything in close range. Love it!