Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

osiris30
Topic Author

Quality of Civ Av.

Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:36 am

Just wondering if there has been any discussion among the mod staff on dealing with the absolutely atrocious quality of posts in Civ Av. I have never seen so many flame bait comments or factually incorrect comments made on this site.

The entire forum is going to hell. And I say that having been here since the first A380 war. The quality that used to exist on this site is gone and many of the experienced posters who had real knowledge have fled due to being tired of endlessly arguing with idiots who gave no recourse.

So ya... thoughts?

qf789

Re: Quality of Civ Av.

Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:00 am

osiris30 wrote:
Just wondering if there has been any discussion among the mod staff on dealing with the absolutely atrocious quality of posts in Civ Av. I have never seen so many flame bait comments or factually incorrect comments made on this site.

The entire forum is going to hell. And I say that having been here since the first A380 war. The quality that used to exist on this site is gone and many of the experienced posters who had real knowledge have fled due to being tired of endlessly arguing with idiots who gave no recourse.

So ya... thoughts?

Yes as a moderating team we have discussed on how to improve the quality of posts on the site, not only in civil aviation but the quality can be pretty poor in non-aviation as well. The first thing I would say in regards to flamebait is that if you see this report the offending posts as it is the easiest way to bring it to our attention. As we are all volunteers we are not able to read every post so we do encourage users to report posts. Unfortunately there is always going to be users who try and provoke other users such as in Airbus vs Boeing of vice versa and there are some who are too oblivious to see the other point of view, just for example I come across one user who has a tendency to report posts in Airbus vs Boeing discussions where it is referenced to the other side as extremists and unfortunately there is a blind sided hatred for the other side. I other thing I would say is now we have lots of social media avenues where anyone using those can use those platforms to post comments of which can be provocative and offensive to others and some may think they can do the same thing on here. Again this gets back to reporting posts that way we can take action and if it happens multiple times we may issue a warning or ban to the user. I am also of the opinion that some think its ok to say what they want, when they want no matter if they offend or provoke others or not.

One thing we have discussed is introducing some reference guides to assist with the quality of posting on the site, by reference guides I mean things like a list of the aviation acronyms and their meanings such as FOD, ILS, GSE, etc , this would help alleviate questions such what does XXX mean? Creating such references take a long time to put together as our first priority is making sure we attended to member queries, reported posts etc first.

Where factually incorrect comments are made we do not take the view they should be deleted, if someone makes a comment that is not factually correct generally we will leave it up to other users to debate the issue and correct the one who is making the incorrect statement. Of course if rules are broken and its brought to our attention we will intervene.

Finally we are always open to users ideas in making the site a better experience for everyone