nstampede002
Topic Author

We have a Creative Screening option - so why don't we use it?

Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:05 pm

Hi all,

I am a long time - though not necessarily high-volume - contributor to the site. I was quite excited years ago when the "Creative Screening" checkbox was added, as I felt this would spur on the more artistic nature of some photographers and not merely side-on sunny shots we all love. I am not exactly one of those "artsy" photographers honestly. :D

Occasionally I have a shot that I feel may qualify - event or conditions allowing. But when I use that checkbox, almost immediately (well, within hours) it is "decreativized" and placed in the normal queue - of which it gets rejected for the exact reasons I selected "creative" in the first place (silhouettes, noise, etc). My last reject for creative got "decreativized," then asked for no less than four "second opinions" before finally getting rejected....for the obvious. That's a whole different argument to me, because if there are that many on the fence, approve it already. But regardless :D It seems to me that if it gets removed from the creative screening queue, maybe it should be an automatic reject. Because it will be shot down by the screeners for that obvious defect that made it creative in the first place.

So, are we using the feature, or not?

Josh

airkas1
Head Screener

Re: We have a Creative Screening option - so why don't we use it?

Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:40 am

Hi Josh,

It is being used, but unfortunately not many uploads are that creative. I assume you saw the updated guidelines for creative photos which I posted in the Photography Forum 3 weeks ago? viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1335335&start=250

I'm also assuming we're talking about this photo: https://imgproc.airliners.net/photos/ai ... 5af5dc7872
After being deprioritzed (with which I can agree), it got SO'd for:
- Screener 1: not much aircraft visible
- Screener 2: way too noisy... dark
- Screener 3: noise
- Screener 4: Interesting but too much noise
- Screener 5: rejected it for noise and underexposed

For whatever reason, each individual screener didn't want to reject it for what they saw. I know of cases where a photo got 6-7 SO's and still got added. Unfortunately yours was on the other side of the medallion this time. In the end, I can agree to the rejection reasons. That said, those are easy to fix and should result in an acceptance next time around.

I don't agree that a decreativized photo should be an automatic rejection, as there are plenty of examples that still get added afterwards. A good example of that is this photo, which then became very popular and even made PC.

nstampede002
Topic Author

Re: We have a Creative Screening option - so why don't we use it?

Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:50 pm

airkas1,

Thanks for the input - I did not see those updates in the forum so thank you for linking me to them.

That is the photo I was referring to past-tense, yes. I was gunning for the "interesting" part myself being the deciding factor - rejection reasons are valid though. :) I have a Huey silhouette in the queue which got punted from the list also (normal queue now). I guess the issue I was raising is the opinion of the photographer vs. the creative screening team as to what is creative and what isn't (basically it's solely screener's discretion). Seeing a reason that the creative team thinks a photo isn't creative may be helpful too - albeit time consuming for you all. While Danijel's photo is stunning (giving it one or two looks myself), I would not consider it creative either. I guess the opinions are wide-ranging.

Ultimately whether I agree or disagree with screeners' opinions, I would prefer to NOT piss off the screeners by using an option and constantly having it kicked out. But if it is at the screeners' discretion, I guess I have to wait and see each time.

Thanks again for your input, airkas1!

Josh