BEG2IAH
Topic Author

Summary FAQ at the top of a thread?

Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:30 pm

Hi guys,

I have recently posted in one of the "annual" threads asking how we could resolve the issue of questions being repeatedly asked because no one wants to spend time reading 50+ pages of previous discussions. So here is my question: would it be technically feasible to keep the first couple of posts editable by a few people who could add frequently asked questions/answers on a regular basis so there would be no need to sift through all 50 pages for an answer? All these annual threads are way too long and this website needs a more elegant solution. If someone asks something that was answered in the past it would be easier to point him to the first page of the thread. The "other" forum has this option.

Here is the first response by atcsundevil...

atcsundevil wrote:
We're always open to new ideas, so I would recommend posting in the Site Related for anyone who can think of some better ways to manage threads. Our current method of organization was trying to resolve a lot of the confusion from the old site...we know it's not perfect, but it's at least somewhat more organized than before.

Currently, only moderators have the ability to edit posts; it's against our policies to edit post content so that users don't think we're "censoring" them. I'm in favor of changing that under specific circumstances (particularly in referenced post deletion scenarios so that one bad comment doesn't wipe out a thread). However, I don't forsee users being given the ability to edit posts. I would support some sort of system where one or a handful of users are unofficially appointed as "housekeepers" for each thread. These people could send things to us to edit OPs with updated info. It would just be dependent on how the other mods felt, because we're stretched pretty thin. I would be happy to do it, particularly if other folks were putting in the work. If an update is already written, it's a quick copy/paste for us.

Anyway, any ideas for improvement would be great, but let's please continue that discussion in Site Related so that we don't drag this thread any further off topic. We aren't currently in a position to make physical changes to the site (that's a whole other story), but we can make any policy changes we want, so long as the Head Mods are on board.

Please share your thoughts.
Flying at cruise altitude is (mostly) boring. I wish all flights were nothing but endless take offs and landings every 10 minutes or so.

qf789

Re: Summary FAQ at the top of a thread?

Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:34 pm

BEG2IAH wrote:
Hi guys,

I have recently posted in one of the "annual" threads asking how we could resolve the issue of questions being repeatedly asked because no one wants to spend time reading 50+ pages of previous discussions. So here is my question: would it be technically feasible to keep the first couple of posts editable by a few people who could add frequently asked questions/answers on a regular basis so there would be no need to sift through all 50 pages for an answer? All these annual threads are way too long and this website needs a more elegant solution. If someone asks something that was answered in the past it would be easier to point him to the first page of the thread. The "other" forum has this option.

atcsundevil wrote:
We're always open to new ideas, so I would recommend posting in the Site Related for anyone who can think of some better ways to manage threads. Our current method of organization was trying to resolve a lot of the confusion from the old site...we know it's not perfect, but it's at least somewhat more organized than before.

Currently, only moderators have the ability to edit posts; it's against our policies to edit post content so that users don't think we're "censoring" them. I'm in favor of changing that under specific circumstances (particularly in referenced post deletion scenarios so that one bad comment doesn't wipe out a thread). However, I don't forsee users being given the ability to edit posts. I would support some sort of system where one or a handful of users are unofficially appointed as "housekeepers" for each thread. These people could send things to us to edit OPs with updated info. It would just be dependent on how the other mods felt, because we're stretched pretty thin. I would be happy to do it, particularly if other folks were putting in the work. If an update is already written, it's a quick copy/paste for us.

Anyway, any ideas for improvement would be great, but let's please continue that discussion in Site Related so that we don't drag this thread any further off topic. We aren't currently in a position to make physical changes to the site (that's a whole other story), but we can make any policy changes we want, so long as the Head Mods are on board.

I agree with what atcsundevil has said. The best way is to have someone from each thread to provide updates or a summary and then we can edit the opening post. I dont think the other mods would have an issue with that and as these larger yearly threads have been opened by mods it should be ok. As we are talking about the UA fleet thread here maybe another idea is to have a fleet list that is updated on a regular basis, I do that with the Qantas Fleet thread and have found that those who participate in the thread appreciate the updates. If there is one or more than one wanting to work together to work on a update than forward to us we would be happy to do that. I would advise that working on updates can be quite time consuming so for anyone who agrees to take it on to just be mindful on that.

In regards to how we structured all these yearly threads, we decided last year to get rid of the parts and either have a monthly, quarterly or yearly thread instead. As this year is the first year we have done it this way it was always going to be a bit of trial and error and in hindsight some of these threads going into next year should be split into either quarterly or half yearly threads instead
Forum Moderator

atcsundevil

Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:08 pm

qf789 wrote:
BEG2IAH wrote:
Hi guys,

atcsundevil wrote:

I agree with what atcsundevil has said. The best way is to have someone from each thread to provide updates or a summary and then we can edit the opening post. I dont think the other mods would have an issue with that and as these larger yearly threads have been opened by mods it should be ok. As we are talking about the UA fleet thread here maybe another idea is to have a fleet list that is updated on a regular basis, I do that with the Qantas Fleet thread and have found that those who participate in the thread appreciate the updates. If there is one or more than one wanting to work together to work on a update than forward to us we would be happy to do that. I would advise that working on updates can be quite time consuming so for anyone who agrees to take it on to just be mindful on that.

In regards to how we structured all these yearly threads, we decided last year to get rid of the parts and either have a monthly, quarterly or yearly thread instead. As this year is the first year we have done it this way it was always going to be a bit of trial and error and in hindsight some of these threads going into next year should be split into either quarterly or half yearly threads instead

I think it's definitely something that's feasible, as long as we can get some volunteers to contribute info for us to provide updates. Ideally it would be a small group of 1-4 users for each thread who are willing to write updates and contribute info. It would be best to keep the groups small with trustworthy users so that we can make sure we aren't getting spammed with bad info. If it's info that moderators are posting, we want to make sure that we're only posting things that can be trusted.

I'll think of some ideas, and I'm sure this will have qf789 thinking as well, and hopefully we can come up with something to present to the other mods. I like the idea — we actually brought up something similar a while back — we just need to figure out a way to make it happen.

BEG2IAH
Topic Author

Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:26 am

Guys, you are awesome. Thank you both for great ideas. I hope this will work out.
Flying at cruise altitude is (mostly) boring. I wish all flights were nothing but endless take offs and landings every 10 minutes or so.

hOMSaR

Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:05 pm

Glad to see this idea getting some mention six months after I first proposed it: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1391935

I guess if you want a message to be read, it has to be first posted in the Civ Av forum.
The plural of Airbus is Airbuses. Airbii is not a word.
There is no 787-800, nor 787-900 or 747-800. It's 787-8, 787-9, and 747-8.
A321neoLR is also unnecessary. It's simply A321LR.
Airplanes don't have isles, they have aisles.

atcsundevil

Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:47 pm

hOMSaR wrote:
Glad to see this idea getting some mention six months after I first proposed it: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1391935

I guess if you want a message to be read, it has to be first posted in the Civ Av forum.

That may be why we discussed it back then. Although it helps when there's a dedicated thread on the topic.