RobK
Topic Author

Mods ignoring clickbait trash

Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:02 pm

Why aren't the mods removing all this clickbait trash that is taking over the forums?

Eg. viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1409929
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1409873

There was another one about the Boeing 727 yesterday which I can't find now so might have finally been removed but despite reporting it and mods being visibly active on the forums it was still there 10 hours later, no doubt resulting in tens of thousands of clicks on the nonsense article from the forum users here. It should have been removed straight away as it was obvious clickbait from a brand new 1 post member.

I'm sure the mods will quickly appear out of the woodwork to remove this post so it doesn't get any airtime and insist that I email them instead so that they can ensure the increasing levels of criticism stay behind closed where they issue yellow and red cards and threats via email to anyone daring to question them.

OA412

Re: Mods ignoring clickbait trash

Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:34 pm

Well, first of all, we often rely on member's to report posts because we're not on every forum and we also don't read every single thread. With respect to the two posts you've cited, I actually don't see why they're "clickbait trash." I watched the EK video last night, and it's actually pretty cool. The user asks a legit question about go-around procedures based on the video, so I can see the value in continuing that discussion. I haven't watched the FI video, but I'm not seeing anything in the post that appears clickbait-y to me. Obviously, reasonable minds may differ. I don't know about the 727 post to which you refer (I wasn't very active yesterday), but I will not that both of the cited posts are from long-time members.
Hughes Airwest - Top Banana In The West

RobK
Topic Author

Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:59 pm

Yes, promoting their own youtube accounts for clicks. There is nothing of note in either of them. Go-arounds and blustery landings happen every day of the year all over the world.

TVNWZ

Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:20 pm

Nobody is forcing you to take the bait. If you do and you enjoy the experience, isn't that what the site is about. I didn't see anything wrong with what was posted. Ignore if it bothers you.

OA412

Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:18 pm

The EK NCL thread is a link to CNN, not YouTube, so there is no self-promotion there. With respect to the FI post, I do not know whether that is the user's personal YouTube, so I cannot jump the gun and delete without some form of evidence. We do have rules specifically disallowing promotion of your own YouTube channel and/or blog, and those posts are dealt with. Again, I don't believe that either of the posts you've brought to our attention here violate the rules.
Hughes Airwest - Top Banana In The West

BartSimpson

Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:38 am

Are you by any chance related to our fellow member Cunard? You sound like his twin brother...

On a more serious note - do you honestly expect the mod team to contantly check all threads and censor them? They are not being paid (they do it volontarily), let alone for that job.

jordanh

Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:45 am

If Facebook and other sites can weed out the obvious Russian trolls, why can't this site? They seem to get their practice here before moving on to other sites.

JohnKrist
Head Support

Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:54 pm

jordanh wrote:
If Facebook and other sites can weed out the obvious Russian trolls, why can't this site? They seem to get their practice here before moving on to other sites.

Maybe because we rely on Manpower, and don’t have a multi billion dollar budget to create bots like that?
5D Mark III, 7D, 17-40 F4 L, 70-200 F2.8 L IS II, 50mm 1.4, EF 1.4x II, EF 2x III, SPEEDLITE 600EX-RT