KICT
Topic Author
Posts: 815
Joined: Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:54 pm

Decline in traffic to the site...

Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:09 pm

There was a time when a Google search for an aircraft's registration would yield results with an Airliners.net hit near the top of the results. Today, they aren't even on the first page. I believe this, in addition to the rise of social media, is partly to blame for the decline in traffic to the site. Is the site being punished by Google or de-prioritized somehow?

Example: https://www.google.com/search?q=n395ha, where I had to go all the way to page 5 of the search results to get a link to Airliners.net.

Why is the site being allowed to decline in this manner?
People are saying. Believe me.
 
KICT
Topic Author
Posts: 815
Joined: Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:54 pm

Re: Decline in traffic to the site...

Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:11 am

Thanks for the replies!
People are saying. Believe me.
 
User avatar
BWIAirport
Posts: 717
Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:29 pm

Re: Decline in traffic to the site...

Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:13 pm

When I Google a registration, I am normally looking for information on the frame and on rare occasions a picture of it. Sites like planespotters and airfleets provide a snapshot of just about all the information you need. I imagine many people are also looking for current information on the frame, such as its route at that moment. Flightradar24 and FlightAware, two of the biggest tracking sites, are also in the top of the search results, likely for that reason.
If I'm just looking for a picture of the aircraft, I'll look at the Images tab but seldom click on an image, so I'm not sure the demand for a photography-related site is as high as it maybe once was.
Those are just my two cents.
Next flight: August 1: WN2002 BWI-MSY B737
SWA, UAL, DAL, AWE, ASA, TRS, DLH, CLH, AFR, BAW, EIN, AAL | E190 DC94 CRJ2 B712 B733 B737 B738 B739 B744 B752 B753 B762 B77W A319 A320 A321 A333 A343 A388 MD88
 
KICT
Topic Author
Posts: 815
Joined: Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:54 pm

Re: Decline in traffic to the site...

Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:23 pm

All I'm saying is, there was a recent discussion as to why not as many pictures are being uploaded to the site. People are voting with the "wallet" so to speak.
Google any registration; the site which shall not be named and "plane spotters" are page one; Airliners.net hit is page 5. This is probably the primary reason.
A while back I ran into a group of spotters at PHX, all under the age of 18. None of them, not a single one, knew what Airliners.net was.
They did however know about the "other site" and had hundreds of pictures there spread across them.
Speaks for itself I think.
People are saying. Believe me.
 
User avatar
northstardc4m
Posts: 3194
Joined: Fri Apr 28, 2000 11:23 am

Re: Decline in traffic to the site...

Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:29 am

Well perhaps more concerning is for 5 historical registrations i searched, JP came up before a.net on all 5 of them? In most JP was on the first page, a.net was not?
N203EA
N8837Z
N404PA
N69AF
C-FPWB
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
 
KICT
Topic Author
Posts: 815
Joined: Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:54 pm

Re: Decline in traffic to the site...

Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:39 pm

northstardc4m wrote:
Well perhaps more concerning is for 5 historical registrations i searched, JP came up before a.net on all 5 of them? In most JP was on the first page, a.net was not?
N203EA
N8837Z
N404PA
N69AF
C-FPWB

Meanwhile there is an effort behind the scenes to get "MyAviation.net" (which added zero value to the bottom line of this website) back up and running. The priorities seem to be completely backwards here.
JP, et al. websites are by no means perfect but what they do have is competent management. JP in particular has been leveraged quite successfully and as I said in previous threads I run into spotters frequently who have no idea what "Airliners.net" is but they are keenly aware of JP.

A damn shame if you ask me, because A.net is where this all began online...
People are saying. Believe me.
 
TomTurner
Posts: 232
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2005 3:14 am

Re: Decline in traffic to the site...

Sat Mar 02, 2019 4:26 am

Its certainly true A.net came up first, and dominated, in all sorts of google search results at one time, not really so long ago. I believe A.net earned that result organically, for lack of a better word. It was quite popular and the "go to" site for a number of things.. as most of us know. I had (perhaps incorrectly, I don't know) assumed it was certain measures taken by Demand Media when they took over, and subsequent counter-measures by Google (taking aim at slew of sites) they felt were gaming the system in some way...but again, I could be totally mistaken.
 
KICT
Topic Author
Posts: 815
Joined: Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:54 pm

Re: Decline in traffic to the site...

Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:34 am

TomTurner wrote:
Its certainly true A.net came up first, and dominated, in all sorts of google search results at one time, not really so long ago. I believe A.net earned that result organically, for lack of a better word. It was quite popular and the "go to" site for a number of things.. as most of us know. I had (perhaps incorrectly, I don't know) assumed it was certain measures taken by Demand Media when they took over, and subsequent counter-measures by Google (taking aim at slew of sites) they felt were gaming the system in some way...but again, I could be totally mistaken.

DM no longer owns the site. Perhaps this is why?
People are saying. Believe me.
 
User avatar
JohnKrist
Head Support
Posts: 1890
Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2005 11:54 pm

Re: Decline in traffic to the site...

Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:53 am

There are companies selling various SEO and backlink schemes to improve the ranking on Google, we don't use such schemes but others may do so.
5D Mark III, 7D, 17-40 F4 L, 70-200 F2.8 L IS II, Canon 50mm 1.4, Sigma 50mm 1.4 ART, Sigma 105mm 1.4 ART, EF 1.4x II, EF 2x III, SPEEDLITE 600EX-RT
 
tan1mill
Posts: 176
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2007 12:11 am

Re: Decline in traffic to the site...

Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:15 pm

Allow me to explain why I quite this site.

First off, this is the first post I've made in years. I decided today to come back to see if anything had changed and found this topic.

The new site was a complete turnoff for me and I immediately stopped uploading photos. To this day, I have yet to upload any more....here anyway. Several features I really enjoyed are gone, some being the photo quiz and my own personal photo statistics. The way photo information was presented and the lousy photo counter (ex. 6K instead of 6,385) did not help. Seeing where people were coming from to view my photos is also gone. I found many of my photos being used illegally through that method. Paying to use the site is gone which has resulted (in my opinion) in a massive drop in the quality of the forum content.

I tried to give whoever owns the site time to fix these things, and from forums it looked like they would slowly come back. Well, they haven't, and unfortunately today I've found this site to be in the same sad shape it was when I was last here a few years ago. Chances are very high that after I make this post, it will be a few more years before I come back. That being said, I have always appreciated the time that many volunteers put into this site, especially the photo screeners. I had a lot of hope this site would someday rise up and become what it once was. That day has yet to come.
Love many, Trust few, Always paddle your own canoe.
 
User avatar
Alsatian
Posts: 603
Joined: Fri May 27, 2005 10:19 pm

Re: Decline in traffic to the site...

Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:32 am

tan1mill wrote:
Allow me to explain why I quite this site.

First off, this is the first post I've made in years. I decided today to come back to see if anything had changed and found this topic.

The new site was a complete turnoff for me and I immediately stopped uploading photos. To this day, I have yet to upload any more....here anyway. Several features I really enjoyed are gone, some being the photo quiz and my own personal photo statistics. The way photo information was presented and the lousy photo counter (ex. 6K instead of 6,385) did not help. Seeing where people were coming from to view my photos is also gone. I found many of my photos being used illegally through that method. Paying to use the site is gone which has resulted (in my opinion) in a massive drop in the quality of the forum content.

I tried to give whoever owns the site time to fix these things, and from forums it looked like they would slowly come back. Well, they haven't, and unfortunately today I've found this site to be in the same sad shape it was when I was last here a few years ago. Chances are very high that after I make this post, it will be a few more years before I come back. That being said, I have always appreciated the time that many volunteers put into this site, especially the photo screeners. I had a lot of hope this site would someday rise up and become what it once was. That day has yet to come.


I must admit that I agree with you. I most of all miss the own personal photo statistics. I recently find out the photo locations map of phographers on jetphotos and that is just great. I do not want to denigrate as I have always been loyal to airliners.net (I do not send my pictures to other sites) and I really appreciate the volunteers' job but I just wish my favorite website to be on the top again.

Dennis
Next flights :
SXB-AMS (AF) / AMS-ATL (KL) / ATL-MDW (DL) / ORD-AMS (KL) / AMS-SXB (AF)
FRA-DTW (DL) / DTW-LAS (DL) / LAS-SLC (DL) / SLC-CDG (DL) / CDG-FRA (AF)
 
dutchspotter1
Posts: 226
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2005 9:24 pm

Re: Decline in traffic to the site...

Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:30 pm

KICT wrote:
A while back I ran into a group of spotters at PHX, all under the age of 18. None of them, not a single one, knew what Airliners.net was.
They did however know about the "other site" and had hundreds of pictures there spread across them.
Speaks for itself I think.


I think part of the reason for that is that the extremely popular website FR24 featuers photos of JP and not of Airliners.
NO URLS in signature

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos