11Bravo
Topic Author

WEBP File Format

Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:57 pm

Why are new photos on Airliners showing up in my browser as WEBP images? Seems to be for photos just in the last day or so. Is this an intentional change or a mistake?
WhaleJets Rule!

airkas1
Head Screener

Re: WEBP File Format

Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:18 pm

Someone else has reported this as well, I've sent an inquiry E-mail to the higher ups. For progress, please check this thread: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1416293

Mirage3S

Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:43 pm

Same here send 2 mails to Admin so far no feedback yet, very weird

airkas1
Head Screener

Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:47 pm

What E-mail address did you send the E-mails to? Also, read the link to ther omthread I posted in my earlier reply. It explains all. This is not something we did, but that Google did.

Mirage3S

Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:30 pm

airkas1 wrote:
What E-mail address did you send the E-mails to? Also, read the link to ther omthread I posted in my earlier reply. It explains all. This is not something we did, but that Google did.

I just send it to the airliners contact form. I went to the link you mnetioned, well done BUT no explanation on how can we convert this files back to JEPG, is there any way to do so. Thank you

airkas1
Head Screener

Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:16 pm

I don't know of any way to do so. But as far as I can tell, it only affects when someone wants to save an image (they can't). In the screening interface, we're still having JPEG files.

LCKip

Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:30 am

airkas1 wrote:
I don't know of any way to do so. But as far as I can tell, it only affects when someone wants to save an image (they can't). In the screening interface, we're still having JPEG files.

There are applications and websites which can convert WEBP to JPEG. But that's not needed as far as I experienced. From another poster regarding WEBP I heard that it's browser related. If you download using IE you get JPEG directly. I checked this and it works. When I experienced WEBP the first time I worked with Firefox, which is my main browser. Using Firefox I got a downloaded photo as a Google logo and not usable. Since then I download using IE and have no problems anymore. As far as I see there is no impact on the quality of the photos.

airkas1
Head Screener

Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:44 am

^ that's my experience as well, although I don't use IE.

dxmekch

Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:41 am

WEBP pictures are usually used to decrease the file size and with that increase the pages loading speed.

Hopefully I'm allowed to post this explanation link here:
https://developers.google.com/speed/webp/

airkas1
Head Screener

Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:12 pm

You can always post such info :)
It's the same link as in the thread in the Photography Forum and does indeed give a good explanation of what it is.

PrideAir

Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:58 pm

LCKip wrote:
airkas1 wrote:

There are applications and websites which can convert WEBP to JPEG. But that's not needed as far as I experienced. From another poster regarding WEBP I heard that it's browser related. If you download using IE you get JPEG directly. I checked this and it works. When I experienced WEBP the first time I worked with Firefox, which is my main browser. Using Firefox I got a downloaded photo as a Google logo and not usable. Since then I download using IE and have no problems anymore. As far as I see there is no impact on the quality of the photos.

In Firefox WEBP images can be downloaded. Right click on an image and select View Image. When this image page loads (it will be in WEBP format) go to the address bar and you will find the web address for the image. At the end of the address you will see the image file name followed by .jpg and then a series of characters and numbers. If you delete those characters and numbers after the .jpg and hit enter the image should display as a jgeg file which can then be saved.

Example:

imgproc.airliners.net/photos/airliners/7/1/7/5447717.jpg?v=v406edd3470a
In the above web address, if you delete ?v=v406edd3470a and then hit enter it should display as a jpeg image.

This has worked in 99% of the images I have tried it with.

airkas1
Head Screener

Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:17 am

I just tried the above, worked as explained. Many thanks for that workaround!