User avatar
keesje
Topic Author
Posts: 13498
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2001 2:08 am

Throwing all subtopics on a big, chaotic heap with x00.000 views, 1000 posts . Centralizing..

Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:04 am

Well I wont follow any MAX grounding post anymore. Too big, going all the way, 10 sub topics together. .

Started a well structured sub topic, post grounding, but apparently also must be thrown on the big heap.

https://www.airliners.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1417835

And then complain it is such a chaos, news gets repeated 3-5 times because of it.

Old threads get renamed on the go, some selected forum rule declared holy, with only negative consequences / no winners.

I won't spend any time on a new one, it simply gets locked, throw everything on the big heap.

Reduces quality & frustrates people trying to create well structured, focused threads.
"Never mistake motion for action." Ernest Hemingway
 
User avatar
atcsundevil
Moderator
Posts: 3726
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:22 pm

Re: Throwing all subtopics on a big, chaotic heap with x00.000 views, 1000 posts . Centralizing..

Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:30 am

keesje wrote:
Well I wont follow any MAX grounding post anymore. Too big, going all the way, 10 sub topics together. .

Started a well structured sub topic, post grounding, but apparently also must be thrown on the big heap.

https://www.airliners.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1417835

And then complain it is such a chaos, news gets repeated 3-5 times because of it.

Old threads get renamed on the go, some selected forum rule declared holy, with only negative consequences / no winners.

I won't spend any time on a new one, it simply gets locked, throw everything on the big heap.

Reduces quality & frustrates people trying to create well structured, focused threads.

We're already trying our best to moderate the five or six threads currently active. We don't need ten more when virtually all of the discussion is the same. There are literally four or five of us trying to keep up with thousands of posts, and we've easily had 150+ reports today alone. There isn't enough information right now to have structured, focused threads; it's all speculation and conjecture. So, as I said when I locked your thread, give it a couple of days until more information exists, then create a focused thread. Until then, we need to keep the onslaught manageable, because these threads have been massively time-consuming and we can't keep up.
 
Canuck600
Posts: 240
Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:24 pm

Re: Throwing all subtopics on a big, chaotic heap with x00.000 views, 1000 posts . Centralizing..

Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:39 pm

Is there anyway you can penalize people who ask questions because they are too lazy to read the thread? Seeing the same questions asked over & over simply because people are too lazy is frustrating & it makes threads way longer then they should be.
 
User avatar
TVNWZ
Posts: 2214
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2006 9:28 am

Re: Throwing all subtopics on a big, chaotic heap with x00.000 views, 1000 posts . Centralizing..

Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:47 pm

Canuck600 wrote:
Is there anyway you can penalize people who ask questions because they are too lazy to read the thread? Seeing the same questions asked over & over simply because people are too lazy is frustrating & it makes threads way longer then they should be.


Too lazy?? Are you really going to go through 62 pages of a thread to find an answer. I think Keesje has a point.
 
User avatar
dennypayne
Posts: 268
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:38 am

Re: Throwing all subtopics on a big, chaotic heap with x00.000 views, 1000 posts . Centralizing..

Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:00 pm

TVNWZ wrote:
Canuck600 wrote:
Is there anyway you can penalize people who ask questions because they are too lazy to read the thread? Seeing the same questions asked over & over simply because people are too lazy is frustrating & it makes threads way longer then they should be.


Too lazy?? Are you really going to go through 62 pages of a thread to find an answer. I think Keesje has a point.


Used to be, the mods would lock a thread, start a Part 2 (or Part X, however many it got to be), and place a summary at the top of each part so that each thread would continue from there. Seems like that would be easier than continuing to manage one giant unwieldy thread.
A300/310/319/320/321/332/333/343/380 AN24/28/38/148 AT7 B190
B717/722/732/3/4/5/7/8/9 742/744/752/753/762/763/764/772/773/788/789
CR2/7/9 D8S D93/4/5 DHC2/3/7/8 D28/38 EMB/EM2/ER3/D/4/E70/75/90
F50/100 J31 L10 L410 M11/80/90 RJ85 SF3 SU9 T134/154 Y42
 
User avatar
atcsundevil
Moderator
Posts: 3726
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:22 pm

Re: Throwing all subtopics on a big, chaotic heap with x00.000 views, 1000 posts . Centralizing..

Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:03 pm

dennypayne wrote:
Used to be, the mods would lock a thread, start a Part 2 (or Part X, however many it got to be), and place a summary at the top of each part so that each thread would continue from there. Seems like that would be easier than continuing to manage one giant unwieldy thread.

That was only on the old site, because threads wouldn't roll to multiple pages. We were forced to start new threads after about 250 posts so that users didn't have to scroll forever to get to the most recent posts. The new site has pages, and users have requested that we keep threads open for longer.
 
User avatar
dennypayne
Posts: 268
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:38 am

Re: Throwing all subtopics on a big, chaotic heap with x00.000 views, 1000 posts . Centralizing..

Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:32 pm

atcsundevil wrote:
dennypayne wrote:
Used to be, the mods would lock a thread, start a Part 2 (or Part X, however many it got to be), and place a summary at the top of each part so that each thread would continue from there. Seems like that would be easier than continuing to manage one giant unwieldy thread.

That was only on the old site, because threads wouldn't roll to multiple pages. We were forced to start new threads after about 250 posts so that users didn't have to scroll forever to get to the most recent posts. The new site has pages, and users have requested that we keep threads open for longer.


Understood, but I think in situations like the recent crash threads it would make your guys' jobs easier to revert to that method, just in these extreme cases. Right now we see replies come in to a post that was literally 1000's of posts ago, which makes the discussion extremely hard to follow. Breaking these huge threads up and having a summary would discourage that along with the repetitive questions.
A300/310/319/320/321/332/333/343/380 AN24/28/38/148 AT7 B190
B717/722/732/3/4/5/7/8/9 742/744/752/753/762/763/764/772/773/788/789
CR2/7/9 D8S D93/4/5 DHC2/3/7/8 D28/38 EMB/EM2/ER3/D/4/E70/75/90
F50/100 J31 L10 L410 M11/80/90 RJ85 SF3 SU9 T134/154 Y42
 
User avatar
atcsundevil
Moderator
Posts: 3726
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:22 pm

Re: Throwing all subtopics on a big, chaotic heap with x00.000 views, 1000 posts . Centralizing..

Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:02 pm

dennypayne wrote:
atcsundevil wrote:
dennypayne wrote:
Used to be, the mods would lock a thread, start a Part 2 (or Part X, however many it got to be), and place a summary at the top of each part so that each thread would continue from there. Seems like that would be easier than continuing to manage one giant unwieldy thread.

That was only on the old site, because threads wouldn't roll to multiple pages. We were forced to start new threads after about 250 posts so that users didn't have to scroll forever to get to the most recent posts. The new site has pages, and users have requested that we keep threads open for longer.


Understood, but I think in situations like the recent crash threads it would make your guys' jobs easier to revert to that method, just in these extreme cases. Right now we see replies come in to a post that was literally 1000's of posts ago, which makes the discussion extremely hard to follow. Breaking these huge threads up and having a summary would discourage that along with the repetitive questions.

That's definitely something for us to discuss. These crash threads haven't exactly made for a fun time for us the past couple of weeks!

The only reason we were advising against numerous specifically directed threads is because there would be a ton of overlapping discussion. It has also made for a lot of off topic comments in the past, which is difficult/annoying for us to police. Perhaps consolidating into one thread, but locking and refreshing it periodically might be the better way to go.
 
User avatar
SheikhDjibouti
Posts: 1915
Joined: Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:59 pm

Re: Throwing all subtopics on a big, chaotic heap with x00.000 views, 1000 posts . Centralizing..

Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:24 pm

atcsundevil wrote:
That's definitely something for us to discuss. These crash threads haven't exactly made for a fun time for us the past couple of weeks!

It's not much fun for those of us who have our posts pulled, and don't know whether it's because we said something wrong, or because somebody else didn't like it, quoted us, and then added a string of expletives. I seem to recall being told that both the offensive post, and the one they quoted both get pulled.

Either that or recently I have been a very naughty boy. :lol:

atcsundevil wrote:
The only reason we were advising against numerous specifically directed threads is because there would be a ton of overlapping discussion.

atcsundevil wrote:
Perhaps consolidating into one thread, but locking and refreshing it periodically might be the better way to go.
Yes, definitely a good idea. Where do I sign up.....
Nothing to see here; move along please.
 
User avatar
atcsundevil
Moderator
Posts: 3726
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:22 pm

Re: Throwing all subtopics on a big, chaotic heap with x00.000 views, 1000 posts . Centralizing..

Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:06 pm

SheikhDjibouti wrote:
I seem to recall being told that both the offensive post, and the one they quoted both get pulled.

No...that's the wrong way around. The offensive post is removed, and any post that quotes the removed post is also removed. That's the only way of completely deleting the offensive post.
 
User avatar
TVNWZ
Posts: 2214
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2006 9:28 am

Re: Throwing all subtopics on a big, chaotic heap with x00.000 views, 1000 posts . Centralizing..

Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:42 pm

I am sorry. When threads get to 5K and weeks old I lose interest in engaging or even reading. These monster threads are unbelievably complex. I vote to return to at least some subdivision threads. I can't believe the majority of the community likes these Godzillas.
 
User avatar
dennypayne
Posts: 268
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:38 am

Re: Throwing all subtopics on a big, chaotic heap with x00.000 views, 1000 posts . Centralizing..

Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:46 pm

TVNWZ wrote:
I am sorry. When threads get to 5K and weeks old I lose interest in engaging or even reading. These monster threads are unbelievably complex. I vote to return to at least some subdivision threads. I can't believe the majority of the community likes these Godzillas.
And lately, some of these monster topics have had the name radically changed after weeks of posts, which is even more confusing. Example: the JetBlue April 10th town hall thread, which was a ton of speculation for ages. Then the subject was changed to "JetBlue Starting Service to London" - if someone came upon that thread that hadn't already been following it for weeks, they would be totally lost. I was lost after missing a few hours of posts. That should definitely have been left alone and a new thread started.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
A300/310/319/320/321/332/333/343/380 AN24/28/38/148 AT7 B190
B717/722/732/3/4/5/7/8/9 742/744/752/753/762/763/764/772/773/788/789
CR2/7/9 D8S D93/4/5 DHC2/3/7/8 D28/38 EMB/EM2/ER3/D/4/E70/75/90
F50/100 J31 L10 L410 M11/80/90 RJ85 SF3 SU9 T134/154 Y42
 
User avatar
keesje
Topic Author
Posts: 13498
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2001 2:08 am

Re: Throwing all subtopics on a big, chaotic heap with x00.000 views, 1000 posts . Centralizing..

Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:40 am

dennypayne wrote:
TVNWZ wrote:
I am sorry. When threads get to 5K and weeks old I lose interest in engaging or even reading. These monster threads are unbelievably complex. I vote to return to at least some subdivision threads. I can't believe the majority of the community likes these Godzillas.
And lately, some of these monster topics have had the name radically changed after weeks of posts, which is even more confusing. Example: the JetBlue April 10th town hall thread, which was a ton of speculation for ages. Then the subject was changed to "JetBlue Starting Service to London" - if someone came upon that thread that hadn't already been following it for weeks, they would be totally lost. I was lost after missing a few hours of posts. That should definitely have been left alone and a new thread started.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk


Indeed:
"Boeing 777-8/-9 Grandfathering Certification, 777X or 7X7?"

was changed / neutralized into:
"Has grandfathering been taken too far?"

by merging it with a small new thread & taking over the title. So it no longer links when the original title pops up in Google.

It seems not because of no interest, no content, no actuality & no relevenace. But too much exposure, content & relevenance. Some Boeing supporters & employees have been trying dismissing, deflecting, generalizing & obscuring ever since it was openened. While in the real world, 777x certification is becoming more relevant every day.

Boeing / FAA explored new territory on grandfathering design and requirements from the 77W on the 777x. Investigations are going on how come Boeing and FAA agreed on this approach. Dennis Muilenburg carefully referred to it, last week.

“I don't see anything there right now that would significantly alter the timeline for the 777X, but it's possible we could see something that would alter the content of the test program or how we go about certification”.

https://www.aerotime.aero/aerotime.team/22693-boeing-ceo-says-777x-not-yet-affected-by-737-max-crisis
"Never mistake motion for action." Ernest Hemingway
 
VSMUT
Posts: 3478
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:40 am

Re: Throwing all subtopics on a big, chaotic heap with x00.000 views, 1000 posts . Centralizing..

Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:52 am

Here's one I don't get.

A thread was started on a possible restart of Jet Airways, but it was shut down and posters were referred over to the Jet Airways shutdown megathread. Why? I can understand why all the 737MAX crash topics were merged into one when it just happened and a new topic was being started every hour, but the forum isn't flooded with Jet Airways topics! That means digging through 30 pages and 1450+ posts to find those tidbits of information.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1424453
 
User avatar
keesje
Topic Author
Posts: 13498
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2001 2:08 am

Re: Throwing all subtopics on a big, chaotic heap with x00.000 views, 1000 posts . Centralizing..

Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:13 pm

VSMUT wrote:
Here's one I don't get.

A thread was started on a possible restart of Jet Airways, but it was shut down and posters were referred over to the Jet Airways shutdown megathread. Why? I can understand why all the 737MAX crash topics were merged into one when it just happened and a new topic was being started every hour, but the forum isn't flooded with Jet Airways topics! That means digging through 30 pages and 1450+ posts to find those tidbits of information.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1424453


It is to prevent ten more threads when virtually all of the discussion are the same. There are four or five mods trying to keep up with thousands of posts, and they've easily had 150+ reports a day alone. There isn't enough information right now to have structured, focused threads; it's all speculation and conjecture. So it simplifies the process for our limited moderator resources /time. The downsite is you can hardly find / track any developments on topics that are merged under the mega threads.
"Never mistake motion for action." Ernest Hemingway
 
VSMUT
Posts: 3478
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:40 am

Re: Throwing all subtopics on a big, chaotic heap with x00.000 views, 1000 posts . Centralizing..

Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:26 pm

keesje wrote:
VSMUT wrote:
Here's one I don't get.

A thread was started on a possible restart of Jet Airways, but it was shut down and posters were referred over to the Jet Airways shutdown megathread. Why? I can understand why all the 737MAX crash topics were merged into one when it just happened and a new topic was being started every hour, but the forum isn't flooded with Jet Airways topics! That means digging through 30 pages and 1450+ posts to find those tidbits of information.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1424453


It is to prevent ten more threads when virtually all of the discussion are the same. There are four or five mods trying to keep up with thousands of posts, and they've easily had 150+ reports a day alone. There isn't enough information right now to have structured, focused threads; it's all speculation and conjecture. So it simplifies the process for our limited moderator resources /time. The downsite is you can hardly find / track any developments on topics that are merged under the mega threads.


Yeah, but that wasn't really the case with the Jet Airways bankruptcy, was it? And certainly not at this point. This was only the second thread on Jet Airways.

And despite this excuse, one the first 2 pages of the civ-av forum right now I can find a whopping 4 threads on KLM:
AF-KLM Strategic Review
KLM 747 phase out
KLM 100th anniversary
KLM and Air France swap orders

Just 2 days ago there was the "KLM 100 year festivities without the 787-10" thread. One week ago there was the thread about KLM ordering the E195E2. So what exactly is the policy on merging threads and posts? Do some topics get a free pass and others don't?
 
User avatar
keesje
Topic Author
Posts: 13498
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2001 2:08 am

Re: Throwing all subtopics on a big, chaotic heap with x00.000 views, 1000 posts . Centralizing..

Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:35 am

I think really no one likes those huge threads.
Sometimes mods split a topic up early, e..g. Paris airshow.
Maybe that is something to consider for 737 grounding etc.
"Never mistake motion for action." Ernest Hemingway
 
User avatar
atcsundevil
Moderator
Posts: 3726
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:22 pm

Re: Throwing all subtopics on a big, chaotic heap with x00.000 views, 1000 posts . Centralizing..

Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:09 pm

keesje wrote:
I think really no one likes those huge threads.
Sometimes mods split a topic up early, e..g. Paris airshow.
Maybe that is something to consider for 737 grounding etc.

We constantly receive reports asking to combine topics into larger, general topic threads. More often than not, I err on the side of allowing the more focused thread to stand as is. But, I can assure you, there is a significant number of users who prefer larger, general topic threads.
 
User avatar
keesje
Topic Author
Posts: 13498
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2001 2:08 am

Re: Throwing all subtopics on a big, chaotic heap with x00.000 views, 1000 posts . Centralizing..

Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:46 pm

atcsundevil wrote:
keesje wrote:
I think really no one likes those huge threads.
Sometimes mods split a topic up early, e..g. Paris airshow.
Maybe that is something to consider for 737 grounding etc.

We constantly receive reports asking to combine topics into larger, general topic threads. More often than not, I err on the side of allowing the more focused thread to stand as is. But, I can assure you, there is a significant number of users who prefer larger, general topic threads.


Then the question would be why? Hopefully not to drown / make topics get lost that they don't like..
"Never mistake motion for action." Ernest Hemingway
 
User avatar
atcsundevil
Moderator
Posts: 3726
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:22 pm

Re: Throwing all subtopics on a big, chaotic heap with x00.000 views, 1000 posts . Centralizing..

Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:28 pm

keesje wrote:
Then the question would be why? Hopefully not to drown / make topics get lost that they don't like..

You'd have to ask them. I can imagine it makes sense for some people — less fragmentation or duplication of discussion, more free-flowing discussion, etc. I don't really have an opinion either way, so it's difficult for me to speculate.
 
VSMUT
Posts: 3478
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:40 am

Re: Throwing all subtopics on a big, chaotic heap with x00.000 views, 1000 posts . Centralizing..

Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:26 pm

atcsundevil wrote:
keesje wrote:
I think really no one likes those huge threads.
Sometimes mods split a topic up early, e..g. Paris airshow.
Maybe that is something to consider for 737 grounding etc.

We constantly receive reports asking to combine topics into larger, general topic threads. More often than not, I err on the side of allowing the more focused thread to stand as is. But, I can assure you, there is a significant number of users who prefer larger, general topic threads.


Gee, that's not something people with an agenda could possibly misuse... :roll:

Seriously, that's a pretty poor way of doing it. If topics are combined due to user requests, at least publish who requested it.
 
User avatar
atcsundevil
Moderator
Posts: 3726
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:22 pm

Re: Throwing all subtopics on a big, chaotic heap with x00.000 views, 1000 posts . Centralizing..

Thu Jul 04, 2019 5:15 pm

VSMUT wrote:
Gee, that's not something people with an agenda could possibly misuse... :roll:

Seriously, that's a pretty poor way of doing it. If topics are combined due to user requests, at least publish who requested it.

We try to strike a balance between the two camps. We can't please everyone.
 
mwhcvt
Posts: 1002
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 2:01 pm

Re: Throwing all subtopics on a big, chaotic heap with x00.000 views, 1000 posts . Centralizing..

Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:42 pm

Totally agree these mega threads are getting to be a joke, by all means keep a mega thread for general discussion on a topic, but don’t merge everything into these threads, I like many don’t have the time to read through a thousand posts of mostly a few members going round and round in the same argument

For new developments and news let’s go back to having new threads, it makes it far more convenient to the average user, most don’t have hours per day to sit and go through mega threads, so they just don’t bother and or end up going to other places to get their news or information, lack of moderator time is honestly a really rubbished excuse for letting the quality of content be so trashed, I’ve held and do still hold moderating positions on many pages and sites if things are that bad it might be time to get more staff in and de-mod any who are no longer giving the needed time
Must think up a new one soon, slow moving brain trying to get into gear ;)
 
VSMUT
Posts: 3478
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:40 am

Re: Throwing all subtopics on a big, chaotic heap with x00.000 views, 1000 posts . Centralizing..

Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:27 am

mwhcvt wrote:
Totally agree these mega threads are getting to be a joke, by all means keep a mega thread for general discussion on a topic, but don’t merge everything into these threads, I like many don’t have the time to read through a thousand posts of mostly a few members going round and round in the same argument

For new developments and news let’s go back to having new threads, it makes it far more convenient to the average user, most don’t have hours per day to sit and go through mega threads, so they just don’t bother and or end up going to other places to get their news or information, lack of moderator time is honestly a really rubbished excuse for letting the quality of content be so trashed, I’ve held and do still hold moderating positions on many pages and sites if things are that bad it might be time to get more staff in and de-mod any who are no longer giving the needed time


I have the exact same issue. The megathreads are tailored for a few posters with agendas and way too much time on their hands. The average member just doesn't have the time to read through thousands of posts, so the megathreads inevitably turn into a mess where the ones who scream loudest control the direction of the discussion.

One point of criticism that keeps coming up is that many knowledgeable members are leaving. It is safe to say that chaotic megathreads are contributing to that.
 
User avatar
UPlog
Posts: 456
Joined: Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:45 am

Re: Throwing all subtopics on a big, chaotic heap with x00.000 views, 1000 posts . Centralizing..

Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:23 pm

Personally, I much prefer the larger consolidated threads. Makes it much to know where to discuss things and easier to follow and learn about a topic than potentially see the same exact comments repeated in multiple smaller threads on the subject.
 
User avatar
LAXintl
Posts: 24006
Joined: Wed May 24, 2000 12:12 pm

Re: Throwing all subtopics on a big, chaotic heap with x00.000 views, 1000 posts . Centralizing..

Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:53 pm

While consolidated threads can get long and messy on their own, I think its a much better solution than to talk about nearly the same subject across multiple threads. I would rather have them unified.

And no, you don't need to muddle through a long thread to find what is new, that can easily be done with the site displaying new post since your last visit. Simply select "First Unread Post" and you will have it immediately displayed on the top of the page so you can continue where you left off. Quite convenient.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California
 
User avatar
RobK
Posts: 3645
Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2004 1:43 pm

Re: Throwing all subtopics on a big, chaotic heap with x00.000 views, 1000 posts . Centralizing..

Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:50 pm

The mega threads need to stay as people are unable to control themselves and stick to discussing the topic as per the thread title. Several offshoots of the Max grounding mega thread have been started over the past 4 months with the author arguing that it's about some sub-topic so deserves its own thread, yet within half a dozen posts the thread has just turned into a copy and paste of all the posts in the original mega thread, often with the author participating. There have been numerous instances where people have tried to turn the lengthy Max production and 737NG production threads into another MCAS discussion/argument fest because they are unable to control themselves and quite rightly they've been swiftly reported to the mods and the mods have cleared out their nonsense in order to keep the thread on topic.

The Max grounding threads combined now stand at 219 pages (!) and having read them all on and off I can safely say that all 10,950 of those posts could be condensed to just one page as the same tired old arguments are just being rehashed over and over.
 
User avatar
mercure1
Posts: 4561
Joined: Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:13 am

Re: Throwing all subtopics on a big, chaotic heap with x00.000 views, 1000 posts . Centralizing..

Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:50 am

Consolidated threads are needed because too many believe they should start a new thread anytime there is a bit of new news which only ends up fragmenting the original discussion and becoming nothing but a location for the same repetitive comments.
mercure f-wtcc
 
YYZYYT
Posts: 1055
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2005 12:41 am

Re: Throwing all subtopics on a big, chaotic heap with x00.000 views, 1000 posts . Centralizing..

Tue Dec 17, 2019 3:05 pm

RobK wrote:
The mega threads need to stay as people are unable to control themselves and stick to discussing the topic as per the thread title. Several offshoots of the Max grounding mega thread have been started over the past 4 months with the author arguing that it's about some sub-topic so deserves its own thread, yet within half a dozen posts the thread has just turned into a copy and paste of all the posts in the original mega thread, often with the author participating. There have been numerous instances where people have tried to turn the lengthy Max production and 737NG production threads into another MCAS discussion/argument fest because they are unable to control themselves and quite rightly they've been swiftly reported to the mods and the mods have cleared out their nonsense in order to keep the thread on topic.

The Max grounding threads combined now stand at 219 pages (!) and having read them all on and off I can safely say that all 10,950 of those posts could be condensed to just one page as the same tired old arguments are just being rehashed over and over.


:checkmark:

atcsundevil wrote:
VSMUT wrote:
Gee, that's not something people with an agenda could possibly misuse... :roll:

Seriously, that's a pretty poor way of doing it. If topics are combined due to user requests, at least publish who requested it.

We try to strike a balance between the two camps. We can't please everyone.


This has been bugging me too - I stop following threads when they get too large, because I simply don't have time to wade through a threadzilla looking for new developments, updates etc.
(particularly when you have 300 posts in a row arguing over semantics, or A v. B, etc etc.- sorry, but it gets tedious). I have enquired about this before, in fact, and respsect that teh biggest obstacle to keeping these things organized is moderator time, and the need to keep the forums open (ie, allowing discussions to take their course, and without making moderators the arbiters of what is to be discussed).

But I got to thinking when trying to read up about Boeing suspending production on the Max... and I have a proposal:

1 when there is a large "threadzilla" (EG Max, MH 370); and
2 something noteworthy happens (eg: Boeing announces it is suspending production);
3 members can start a "reference thread" (along the lines of "Link - Boeing Suspends Max Production"), and refer it to moderators as a "Link"
4 moderators can lock that reference thread, and link to the post in the large thread where the news is first noted.

Then a search of "Link" will bring up the reference threads, and we can find the precise spot where the discussion starts.

Some more comments:

Re point 2: moderators will need to play a role here. ie, if it isn't a true significant moment, the link can be declined (ie, "Max Line No 334526 Has Wiring Problem" may seem important to some members, but truly it isn't once you learn how things work).

Re Point 3: if someone starts a thread to discuss a new point, where it would ordinarily be locked, a moderator can turn it into a link if no-one has proposed it. Also, the key will be using a consistent searchable term like "Link" (ie, subject to the term not being a common industry term, so it's not likely to come up in discussions often - I proposed "Link" but am not in the industry, I would defer to your thoughts)

It's not a complete solution, as multiple topics will continue to be discussed. But it will lower the bar to members reading / participating.

Thoughts?
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Posts: 9606
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Throwing all subtopics on a big, chaotic heap with x00.000 views, 1000 posts . Centralizing..

Tue Dec 17, 2019 4:09 pm

YYZYYT wrote:
RobK wrote:
The mega threads need to stay as people are unable to control themselves and stick to discussing the topic as per the thread title. Several offshoots of the Max grounding mega thread have been started over the past 4 months with the author arguing that it's about some sub-topic so deserves its own thread, yet within half a dozen posts the thread has just turned into a copy and paste of all the posts in the original mega thread, often with the author participating. There have been numerous instances where people have tried to turn the lengthy Max production and 737NG production threads into another MCAS discussion/argument fest because they are unable to control themselves and quite rightly they've been swiftly reported to the mods and the mods have cleared out their nonsense in order to keep the thread on topic.

The Max grounding threads combined now stand at 219 pages (!) and having read them all on and off I can safely say that all 10,950 of those posts could be condensed to just one page as the same tired old arguments are just being rehashed over and over.


:checkmark:

atcsundevil wrote:
VSMUT wrote:
Gee, that's not something people with an agenda could possibly misuse... :roll:

Seriously, that's a pretty poor way of doing it. If topics are combined due to user requests, at least publish who requested it.

We try to strike a balance between the two camps. We can't please everyone.


This has been bugging me too - I stop following threads when they get too large, because I simply don't have time to wade through a threadzilla looking for new developments, updates etc.
(particularly when you have 300 posts in a row arguing over semantics, or A v. B, etc etc.- sorry, but it gets tedious). I have enquired about this before, in fact, and respsect that teh biggest obstacle to keeping these things organized is moderator time, and the need to keep the forums open (ie, allowing discussions to take their course, and without making moderators the arbiters of what is to be discussed).

But I got to thinking when trying to read up about Boeing suspending production on the Max... and I have a proposal:

1 when there is a large "threadzilla" (EG Max, MH 370); and
2 something noteworthy happens (eg: Boeing announces it is suspending production);
3 members can start a "reference thread" (along the lines of "Link - Boeing Suspends Max Production"), and refer it to moderators as a "Link"
4 moderators can lock that reference thread, and link to the post in the large thread where the news is first noted.

Then a search of "Link" will bring up the reference threads, and we can find the precise spot where the discussion starts.

Some more comments:

Re point 2: moderators will need to play a role here. ie, if it isn't a true significant moment, the link can be declined (ie, "Max Line No 334526 Has Wiring Problem" may seem important to some members, but truly it isn't once you learn how things work).

Re Point 3: if someone starts a thread to discuss a new point, where it would ordinarily be locked, a moderator can turn it into a link if no-one has proposed it. Also, the key will be using a consistent searchable term like "Link" (ie, subject to the term not being a common industry term, so it's not likely to come up in discussions often - I proposed "Link" but am not in the industry, I would defer to your thoughts)

It's not a complete solution, as multiple topics will continue to be discussed. But it will lower the bar to members reading / participating.

Thoughts?


Starting in 2020 I am planning to have a second thread. I am still working on the details but it will be a thread where it is similar to what you refer to as a reference thread. I intend to leave the first 2 or 3 posts where I can regularly update on the latest news so it is fairly easy for everyone to follow and posts can proceed from there though I hadn't considered actually locking it but will think about it now

As for the existing thread that will still be kept but I think we will go with monthly threads instead.
Forum Moderator
 
phxsanslcpdx
Posts: 74
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2016 4:36 pm

Re: Throwing all subtopics on a big, chaotic heap with x00.000 views, 1000 posts . Centralizing..

Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:44 pm

I appreciate the moderators' efforts, and as others have said I also stop following excessively long threads. I totally get trying to strike a balance, and generally applaud that effort. But I think a potentially important rule of thumb could be "if the title of the merged thread isn't going to match the content on the first page, don't merge." Or maybe "Any thread, even a merged one, should start with a #1 post summing up the topic for discussion."
An example today is viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1437021 titled "Confirmed: British Airways next US route - PDX" but the entire first page of posts is speculation. Not until posts #58 & #59 do we get any details confirming PDX. It would have been much more valuable to me to have those at the start of the thread, so I could quickly see the facts (frequency, when does it start) and decide whether I want to engage further in dicussion--the pre-announcement speculation could've stayed on its own elsewhere and been locked if necessary.
 
Canuck600
Posts: 240
Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:24 pm

Re: Throwing all subtopics on a big, chaotic heap with x00.000 views, 1000 posts . Centralizing..

Fri Dec 27, 2019 7:41 am

The whole 737 Mega thread is a disgrace, there are enough tangents for it to be broken down into multiple threads, would make it a whole lot easier to find the information one is interested in. Right a now a tangent or string about what's going on in the Boeing C suite can be easily interrupted by posts by people trying to pilot blame or push there idea of what MCAS is.

The owners of airliner.net really need to reflect on how poorly this board is being run. As a Canadian it embarasses me that Canadians are running the show here.

The only real value of airliners.net is for news about specific airlines. manufacturer sales & airport operations. For real factual information the site that has the word for a dried plum as part of it's name is a better choice.
 
User avatar
atcsundevil
Moderator
Posts: 3726
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:22 pm

Re: Throwing all subtopics on a big, chaotic heap with x00.000 views, 1000 posts . Centralizing..

Fri Dec 27, 2019 1:24 pm

Canuck600 wrote:
The whole 737 Mega thread is a disgrace, there are enough tangents for it to be broken down into multiple threads, would make it a whole lot easier to find the information one is interested in. Right a now a tangent or string about what's going on in the Boeing C suite can be easily interrupted by posts by people trying to pilot blame or push there idea of what MCAS is.

The owners of airliner.net really need to reflect on how poorly this board is being run. As a Canadian it embarasses me that Canadians are running the show here.

The only real value of airliners.net is for news about specific airlines. manufacturer sales & airport operations. For real factual information the site that has the word for a dried plum as part of it's name is a better choice.

We tried multiple topics, and nobody could stay on topic, so they were merged into one. Nobody can stay on topic in the one thread either. I think the bigger problem is the discussion itself rather than how it's organized.

As for how the board is being run — there aren't very many moderators to keep up with the workload. I suppose I must have missed your application when we were looking for new moderators last spring. If you don't like how something is running, then offer some solutions. Blind criticism isn't exactly constructive.
 
Canuck600
Posts: 240
Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:24 pm

Re: Throwing all subtopics on a big, chaotic heap with x00.000 views, 1000 posts . Centralizing..

Sat Dec 28, 2019 2:06 am

I never said one word critical of the moderators, I know there aren't enough of you & you are powerless. The problems are entirely at the ownership level of airliners.net
 
YYZYYT
Posts: 1055
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2005 12:41 am

Re: Throwing all subtopics on a big, chaotic heap with x00.000 views, 1000 posts . Centralizing..

Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:46 pm

To the moderators: I love the new reference thread, thank you!

Is there any plan of doing the same for other monster threads? I'm thinking of UIA 752, over 1,500 posts within 36 hours.
 
User avatar
atcsundevil
Moderator
Posts: 3726
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:22 pm

Re: Throwing all subtopics on a big, chaotic heap with x00.000 views, 1000 posts . Centralizing..

Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:09 pm

YYZYYT wrote:
To the moderators: I love the new reference thread, thank you!

Is there any plan of doing the same for other monster threads? I'm thinking of UIA 752, over 1,500 posts within 36 hours.

It's something we will probably do more of in the further, but it is quite labor intensive.
 
YYZYYT
Posts: 1055
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2005 12:41 am

Re: Throwing all subtopics on a big, chaotic heap with x00.000 views, 1000 posts . Centralizing..

Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:23 pm

atcsundevil wrote:
YYZYYT wrote:
To the moderators: I love the new reference thread, thank you!

Is there any plan of doing the same for other monster threads? I'm thinking of UIA 752, over 1,500 posts within 36 hours.

It's something we will probably do more of in the further, but it is quite labor intensive.


Yeah, I can see that from the Max reference thread.

Is there room for a stop-gap /compromise? for example, in the UIA 752 case, I've heard news reports that I would like to follow up on this site, but with the thread now at nearly 2000 posts, I've long ago given up on it. Would there be a lot of work to report a news item in a reference thread, and link to a specific post in the main thread where it first comes up? (I know that I would still have to step over the continuing arguments, politics, arguments, etc... but at least I would know where to look for the news to be discussed).

While detailed analysis (like in the MAX reference thread - thank you, again) would be great, that can be added later, if circumstances and time warrant.
 
User avatar
atcsundevil
Moderator
Posts: 3726
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:22 pm

Re: Throwing all subtopics on a big, chaotic heap with x00.000 views, 1000 posts . Centralizing..

Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:42 pm

YYZYYT wrote:
atcsundevil wrote:
YYZYYT wrote:
To the moderators: I love the new reference thread, thank you!

Is there any plan of doing the same for other monster threads? I'm thinking of UIA 752, over 1,500 posts within 36 hours.

It's something we will probably do more of in the further, but it is quite labor intensive.


Yeah, I can see that from the Max reference thread.

Is there room for a stop-gap /compromise? for example, in the UIA 752 case, I've heard news reports that I would like to follow up on this site, but with the thread now at nearly 2000 posts, I've long ago given up on it. Would there be a lot of work to report a news item in a reference thread, and link to a specific post in the main thread where it first comes up? (I know that I would still have to step over the continuing arguments, politics, arguments, etc... but at least I would know where to look for the news to be discussed).

While detailed analysis (like in the MAX reference thread - thank you, again) would be great, that can be added later, if circumstances and time warrant.

Not to sound crass, but we might need to wait until the next one. I think we (mods) need to decide on some sort of system and how it'll be managed, and put up one of these threads as soon as the incident/accident occurs. I think we need some lessons learned from the MAX thread first. We also need to make sure it's something enough people are interested in before we go through all the effort. It is something that I think we'd like to do more of in the future, we just need to figure out how we should do it.
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Posts: 9606
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Throwing all subtopics on a big, chaotic heap with x00.000 views, 1000 posts . Centralizing..

Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:42 am

YYZYYT wrote:
To the moderators: I love the new reference thread, thank you!

Is there any plan of doing the same for other monster threads? I'm thinking of UIA 752, over 1,500 posts within 36 hours.


Firstly thank you for your kind words. I would like to start a thread for the latest crash, something similar to the 737MAX reference thread but I just don't have the time to do it atm. With regards to the 737MAX reference thread I decided to do it as I was getting sick and tired of other users complaining about not being able to find news items. I also felt such a thread would be benefit the whole a.net community. As atcsundevil has mentioned providing such information is labor intensive, just adding where all the delivered and non delivered 737MAX are located plus the Q1 19 news items took a week to compile. I am still to add the Q2, Q3 and Q4 news items however I have been unable due to work commitments . I am hoping I can at least update some of it by the end of this month. I decided to go with what I had because I felt it would add value.

As atcsundevil says we need to let the thread mature a little and work out if that is the right way to go about it in the future or do we need to make changes. After I started the thread I sent an email to all the mods stating what I wanted out of the thread, as mentioned in the thread I wanted news to be added by users, any commentary to be left in the general thread. We are still having to delete the commentary as that is not what the reference is for. I really don't want to lock the thread as I want users to add news related items or aircraft movements in, after all when it comes to updating it will make my job a lot easier.

Overall the feedback so far has been positive and I think most appreciate such a thread. Of course if you have any suggestions we would be more than welcome to hear them.
Forum Moderator

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos