User avatar
JohnKrist
Head Support
Posts: 1900
Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2005 11:54 pm

Re: Why Anet Is Declining

Tue May 28, 2019 8:07 am

Small input regarding hover/mouseover. That was a neat feature when 100%of our visitors browsed on a computer. Today the main part of users use mobile devices and it looks like crap if it shows up, which it usually doesn’t. We have received solutions to add the functionality to phpbb, but on mobile you get the words underlined, but nothing happns when you tap the wod. So that would be a bigger annoyance to the main part of our users compared to the benefit. Also, why not google it, much faster than asking what ia code means...
There was dicussions on adding a button with a register to the most common abbrevations, but nothing in place yet.

Regarding low quality posts, that has always been an issue, and frankly I think the forum would die if there only was high tech topics discussing part numbers, economic breakdowns of airline budgets or accurate physics calculations on the forces that bring aircraft into the air. Because, to someone, even your elaborate topic is considered low quality.
5D Mark III, 7D, 17-40 F4 L, 70-200 F2.8 L IS II, Canon 50mm 1.4, Sigma 50mm 1.4 ART, Sigma 105mm 1.4 ART, EF 1.4x II, EF 2x III, SPEEDLITE 600EX-RT
 
User avatar
compensateme
Posts: 3280
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:17 am

Re: Why Anet Is Declining

Tue May 28, 2019 5:39 pm

JohnKrist wrote:
Regarding low quality posts, that has always been an issue, and frankly I think the forum would die if there only was high tech topics discussing part numbers, economic breakdowns of airline budgets or accurate physics calculations on the forces that bring aircraft into the air. Because, to someone, even your elaborate topic is considered low quality.


No disagreement, but the problem is getting worse. That we have two active threads pondering whether DL will resume service to HKG, and several others created within this calendar year, is beyond silly. IMO, some of the mods have done a great job servicing the community but have burned themselves out and need to step aside and let fresh blood resume the role.
We don’t care what your next flight is.
 
User avatar
TVNWZ
Posts: 2189
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2006 9:28 am

Re: Why Anet Is Declining

Thu May 30, 2019 5:27 pm

compensateme wrote:
JohnKrist wrote:
Regarding low quality posts, that has always been an issue, and frankly I think the forum would die if there only was high tech topics discussing part numbers, economic breakdowns of airline budgets or accurate physics calculations on the forces that bring aircraft into the air. Because, to someone, even your elaborate topic is considered low quality.


No disagreement, but the problem is getting worse. That we have two active threads pondering whether DL will resume service to HKG, and several others created within this calendar year, is beyond silly. IMO, some of the mods have done a great job servicing the community but have burned themselves out and need to step aside and let fresh blood resume the role.


So, DL resuming service to HKG being a popular topic is "silly." Maybe to you. But, apparently not to the members participating. Why can't you just ignore silly topics?

It seems to me that at any given time some post or another is going to be silly to someone. I don't expect every post to be something of value to me. I'm not disappointed. You shouldn't be either.
 
User avatar
compensateme
Posts: 3280
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:17 am

Re: Why Anet Is Declining

Thu May 30, 2019 6:49 pm

TVNWZ wrote:
So, DL resuming service to HKG being a popular topic is "silly." Maybe to you. But, apparently not to the members participating. Why can't you just ignore silly topics?

It seems to me that at any given time some post or another is going to be silly to someone. I don't expect every post to be something of value to me. I'm not disappointed. You shouldn't be either.


It is silly. There's a reason why industry professionals participate on this website, and not JetPhotos (etc.) Johan and the original moderator team worked their behinds off to ensure this website maintained a certain level of credibility and respect; they did this by removing or limiting "silly" topics. Ultimately, "clickbait" topics are popular, but they make people like me (somebody who's worked in the industry for many years) ponder why I waste my time here, especially when a constructive topic gets buried under garbage. The average person browsing (not necessarily participating) this forum isn't going to look beyond the first page, or even the first half of topics on the first page if they're "clickbait."
We don’t care what your next flight is.
 
Canuck600
Posts: 161
Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:24 pm

Re: Why Anet Is Declining

Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:01 am

The whole mega thread thing is a turn off to. Why couldn't the Max grounding thread be allowed to have sub topics like: What is MCAS, Boeing's reaction to the crashes, Regulators treatment of MCAS, Regulators response to grounding & ungrounding. Progress on updating MCAS & getting the grounding lifted. Right now you have to weed through 100's of posts with people arguing about what MCAS is or isn't to find anything else.
 
ORDfan101
Posts: 121
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:14 am

Re: Why Anet Is Declining

Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:26 pm

I’m also 13 and now I’m proud that I’m not an ANNOYING 13 year old
 
dtw2hyd
Posts: 7069
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:11 pm

Re: Why Anet Is Declining

Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:55 pm

There were several paid teenage members before this site became free. Teenagers are not the issue for a.net declining, it is the PR shills. Once shills show up on a thread, no one else is allowed to have different POV which doesn't fit their "facts". They know how to use forum rules to their advantage. They can create a ruckus to get a thread closed or a member banned. Normal members are easy prey.
 
AEROFAN
Posts: 1686
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 9:47 am

Re: Why Anet Is Declining

Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:57 pm

Gonzalo wrote:
As an Anetter with 14 years in the site, I think that we should look for some balance here in the diagnosis. Yes, the overall quality of the forum has decreased. Some really good features from the past are gone. For example : Ten years ago, when someone put an airline code or an airport code, the airline name or airport city name became visible when you put the mouse pointer above the code.

Rgds.
Gonzalo


:checkmark: :checkmark: :checkmark: I so miss those days. :wave: It is tiresome trying to figure out some podhunk airport/airline somewhere. I don't even bother much anymore
 
AEROFAN
Posts: 1686
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 9:47 am

Re: Why Anet Is Declining

Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:01 pm

The incessant arguing over minutiae and beating the rotting decomposing dead horse has become unbearable.
 
User avatar
TVNWZ
Posts: 2189
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2006 9:28 am

Re: Why Anet Is Declining

Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:46 am

AEROFAN wrote:
The incessant arguing over minutiae and beating the rotting decomposing dead horse has become unbearable.

Ha! No. We would still have to argue what type of glue to turn the dead horse into.
 
AEROFAN
Posts: 1686
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 9:47 am

Re: Why Anet Is Declining

Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:30 pm

TVNWZ wrote:
AEROFAN wrote:
The incessant arguing over minutiae and beating the rotting decomposing dead horse has become unbearable.

Ha! No. We would still have to argue what type of glue to turn the dead horse into.


:laughing: so very true.
 
User avatar
compensateme
Posts: 3280
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:17 am

Re: Why Anet Is Declining

Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:13 pm

One trend I've noticed lately is the number of people who cry wolf to the moderators when they receive a reply they don't like.

For (manufactured) example:
Thread Starter: Delta Air Lines is the bestest airline in the whole wide world!!! They have PTVs. Why would anybody want to fly AA or UA?
Response: What's of importance to one person, might not be of importance to another. For example, DL may offer a PTV, but another airline could offer a better schedule, direct flight or better price.
Thread Starter: SHUT UP!!! If you don't think DL is the World's Bestest Airline, then DON'T REPLY!!!

Thread Starter then flags postings, moderator leaves his original but deletes reply for some unknown reason.

This is a discussion forum and if you're incapable of having a discussion - YOU DO NOT BELONG HERE.
We don’t care what your next flight is.
 
Weatherwatcher1
Posts: 149
Joined: Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:14 pm

Re: Why Anet Is Declining

Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:03 am

qf789 wrote:
zakuivcustom wrote:
Gonzalo wrote:
Other great loss for the site is the absence of very respected members who decided to go out after a lot of times being disrespected or mistreated by other members, civility of some members is at a low level and many times I have the feeling that moderators are too soft with this aggressive people. Years ago we had here real experts like Mandala499, experienced pilots like Pihero, and many others like them, who are now gone from the site after years of contributions.


Mandala499 is still around. But yes, when Mandala posts some of his insights into the ET crash, some of the replies to him are...well...unsavory, and they wonder why members like him rarely post anymore.


It is fair to say that the site is very different to when those users who have left the site or do not post as much to what it is today. Firstly membership is free versus previously being charged for. Secondly the internet has evolved and is very different now to what it used to be. Some treat a.net as another social media outlet where as we would like to be considered as a community. In this day of facebook, twitter etc some think they can post what they like, when they like without consequence. At times it has been hard to contain, it has been particularly bad over the past 2 months since the 737MAX crash and subsequent events with the personal attacks and flamebait we have seen. We are addressing this by bringing in 4 new moderators, we also encourage all users that if they see a post not within the rules to report the post so we can put the ashes out before it becomes a bonfire. I do not think it is fair to label us as soft, I take a great deal of pride in moderating as do the other moderators however we can not just ban people, we have to allow for due process before taking such actions. Just to put things in perspective in January and February we handed out around 30 warnings each month. In March that went up to other 70 for the month, last month was around 50 and so far this month in the past 8 days we have already issued 30 warnings.

Saying all this I would also like to say that usually as mods we only deal with negative things however it does put a smile on our faces when we see a genuine goodwill gesture (ok atcsundevil I give you kudos here) for making an offer, in this case to DALMD80 and to see his response. Anyway DALMD80, when you go for your ATC tour ask atcsundevil as many questions as possible, he knows his stuff. Of course if you ever visit Australia and want to know some aviation stuff let me know


Thank you for your hard work. The post 737MAX dynamic has likely caused much more work. The Paris Air Show Airbus orders thread appeared like a healthy and constructive discussion about airlines ordering airplanes. The Paris Air Show Boeing orders thread looked like a bash fest that needed constant cleanup. Have the warnings increased?

I enjoy learning things on this site. I appreciate the moderators so we can focus on facts rather than conjecturing, hypothesizing and pushing agendas. Threads can quickly end up in flame wars and lose their usefulness
 
User avatar
eta unknown
Posts: 2326
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2001 5:03 am

Re: Why Anet Is Declining

Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:11 pm

compensateme wrote:
One trend I've noticed lately is the number of people who cry wolf to the moderators when they receive a reply they don't like.

For (manufactured) example:
Thread Starter: Delta Air Lines is the bestest airline in the whole wide world!!! They have PTVs. Why would anybody want to fly AA or UA?
Response: What's of importance to one person, might not be of importance to another. For example, DL may offer a PTV, but another airline could offer a better schedule, direct flight or better price.
Thread Starter: SHUT UP!!! If you don't think DL is the World's Bestest Airline, then DON'T REPLY!!!

Thread Starter then flags postings, moderator leaves his original but deletes reply for some unknown reason.

This is a discussion forum and if you're incapable of having a discussion - YOU DO NOT BELONG HERE.

Yes this us what I was eluding to in my earlier post. Years ago you could have constructive conversation on here, now no more. I'm also finding some of the longer term users are becoming nasty in their replies, possibly due to the whole site mentality.
However, I've also discovered any mention of the foe button in a thread is immediately deleted, as if disharmony is more preferable to the admins.
 
Max Q
Posts: 7486
Joined: Wed May 09, 2001 12:40 pm

Re: Why Anet Is Declining

Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:00 am

eta unknown wrote:
compensateme wrote:
One trend I've noticed lately is the number of people who cry wolf to the moderators when they receive a reply they don't like.

For (manufactured) example:
Thread Starter: Delta Air Lines is the bestest airline in the whole wide world!!! They have PTVs. Why would anybody want to fly AA or UA?
Response: What's of importance to one person, might not be of importance to another. For example, DL may offer a PTV, but another airline could offer a better schedule, direct flight or better price.
Thread Starter: SHUT UP!!! If you don't think DL is the World's Bestest Airline, then DON'T REPLY!!!

Thread Starter then flags postings, moderator leaves his original but deletes reply for some unknown reason.

This is a discussion forum and if you're incapable of having a discussion - YOU DO NOT BELONG HERE.

Yes this us what I was eluding to in my earlier post. Years ago you could have constructive conversation on here, now no more. I'm also finding some of the longer term users are becoming nasty in their replies, possibly due to the whole site mentality.
However, I've also discovered any mention of the foe button in a thread is immediately deleted, as if disharmony is more preferable to the admins.



Eta wadrs the word you’re looking for
is ‘alluding’ ‘eluding’ is an entirely different thing


Best wishes
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.


Guns and the love of them by a loud minority are a malignant and deadly cancer inflicted on American society
 
User avatar
eta unknown
Posts: 2326
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2001 5:03 am

Re: Why Anet Is Declining

Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:33 am

LOL, yes you're right!
 
Virtual737
Posts: 554
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:16 am

Re: Why Anet Is Declining

Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:44 pm

Any time I think A.net has declined to the point of being of no use (I've been coming here for at least 15 years regardless what my profile states), I'll go read a few comments from random YouTube videos. The internet really can bring out the worst in people.

I truly appreciate those in the industry that take the time to post great information here. I appreciate even more those that can do so with absolute class. Take a bow members such as longhauler, BA777FO and Zeke. There are plenty of others I'm sure but those were the first to come to mind, even if I might have questioned some of what they have written.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos