Starfuryt
Topic Author

Database Errors

Wed May 22, 2019 2:49 am

I was uploading a photo of D-ABYO, and the autocomplete function gives you a number of options to choose from: https://i.imgur.com/NadwckY.jpg

As you can see first selection is 747-200 MSN 21592 correct information if the aircraft in question is the old LH freighter.
second option is 747-8 MSN 21592, which is obviously not.
third option is the correct one MSN 37841/LN 1498
followed by another wrong option.

As a result of people not being careful there are a number of photos affected:

All these have wrong MSN, I'm sure there are many more similar instances, especially with frames that share registrations.

I realize that it's ultimately up to the photographer to select the correct information but it would be nice if obviously wrong options didn't exist either.
So just wondering if there is any way to address this and prune the DB of incorrect registrations without it being a ton of work for the crew.

-Mikhail

ps. I've submitted corrections for all the 8 photos linked above

airkas1
Head Screener

Re: Database Errors

Wed May 22, 2019 10:22 am

Unfortunately the editors haven't had (and still don't have) their tools since the site relaunch. As a result, it's hard to maintain certain aspects of the database. The result is that there are many incorrect entries and options. So it's up to the photographer to choose the correct one and unfortunately not everyone chooses the correct one for whatever reason. Sometimes it will result in an info rejection, sometimes it doesn't.

Same goes for the versions and/or missing airlines. Often, the airline field is still blank. Other times, the manufacturer is missing in the version field. (example: "DA-42 Twin Star" is incorrect, "Diamond DA-42 Twin Star" is correct, because it has the manufacturer listed.

Thanks for submitting the corrections for the photos above!

Starfuryt
Topic Author

Wed May 22, 2019 1:54 pm

Thanks Kas, would it be possible to implement an option to report incorrect auto-complete entries?
I once wrote in comments to screeners that there were wrong choices but those wrong choices are still there last I checked (HZ-AK43 is the frame in question in that case).

dutchspotter1

Wed May 22, 2019 7:00 pm

airkas1 wrote:
Unfortunately the editors haven't had (and still don't have) their tools since the site relaunch.

Any clue when those tools will become available to the editors? It is mind-boggling that such an important feature to maintain/improve the data quality of this website is still not implemented after all those years.
NO URLS in signature

airkas1
Head Screener

Wed May 22, 2019 11:47 pm

Agree and no clue.