DLX737200
Topic Author

A.net Traffic Way Down?

Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:34 am

Hello all,

I've noticed for a while now that photo views are way down. I don't submit photos just for the hits or "views" but let's be honest, what's the point of doing the hard work of editing, uploading and possibly re-editing, reuploading after a rejection and waiting over a week for screening if you're going to end up with 30 people looking at your photo? Reminds me of the Myaviation.net days, for those who have been around long enough to remember that.

The area I most notice this is on the front page. The top 5 photos of the last 24 hours all used to get over 1,000 hits each, with the top of the last 24 hours often seeing 30,000+ hits in a day (I'm roughly spit balling numbers here, so give me some leeway here) but as of the moment I write this post, the top photo has 7,189 and the lowest of the top 5 only has 455 views??? What??? 455 views in 24 hours get you on the front page these days?

I know things have declined since DM bought the site years ago but how much has traffic decreased lately?

spompert

Re: A.net Traffic Way Down?

Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:47 am

I also think traffic went down. But the number of views to get to the top 5 is not really lower than before in my opninion. Around 400 does not sound very strange to me. I also think views were higher before because of Facebook post by Airliners. Nowadays the views from there are not added to the total viewcount anymore it looks like it. But I do think the views/traffic is declining and also with the problems lately with uploading, viewcounters and long waiting times, parts of the site not working, etc it is not going in the good direction. People will move to other sites like JP, or use social media like Facebook and Instagram. So far I`ll stay here to upload (mainly because of the high quality requirements) and hopefully others will too but I am not sure for how long this is possible.

Silver1SWA

Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:22 pm

DLX737200 wrote:
Hello all,

I've noticed for a while now that photo views are way down. I don't submit photos just for the hits or "views" but let's be honest, what's the point of doing the hard work of editing, uploading and possibly re-editing, reuploading after a rejection and waiting over a week for screening if you're going to end up with 30 people looking at your photo? Reminds me of the Myaviation.net days, for those who have been around long enough to remember that.

The area I most notice this is on the front page. The top 5 photos of the last 24 hours all used to get over 1,000 hits each, with the top of the last 24 hours often seeing 30,000+ hits in a day (I'm roughly spit balling numbers here, so give me some leeway here) but as of the moment I write this post, the top photo has 7,189 and the lowest of the top 5 only has 455 views??? What??? 455 views in 24 hours get you on the front page these days?

I know things have declined since DM bought the site years ago but how much has traffic decreased lately?

Because those who are interested in taking advantage of the latest advancements in photography, especially with regard to on-the-go mobile editing and uploading cannot participate anymore. Camera manufacturers including built in wifi, Adobe pushing their mobile versions of apps etc. and social media sites designed for on the go sharing, combined with photographers being attracted to beautiful high-res (Apple retina for example) displays that can’t even be used here, makes it pointless to even try and get a photo accepted here.

This site has kept itself in a bubble. It isn’t just the owners fault, the user base has always resisted change. But sadly the high quality standard this site has been known for have lost relevance. The internet has changed. The hardware has changed. The photography hobby has changed. But Airliners.net is stuck in 2007.

And as a viewer, if you want to see airplane photos go on Instagram and browse a few and before long Instagram will learn your interests and you’ll have a feed full of amazing aviation photos.
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

BrooklyBOMgal

Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:16 am

The quality of the posts have deteriorated over the years.