DDR
Topic Author

Deleted Posts

Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:01 am

I thought if your post gets deleted that the moderator who deleted it was supposed to let you know. My post was deleted and no notice to me or on the the thread it was deleted from.

rlwynn

Re: Deleted Posts

Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:23 am

Where is it said you are supposed to get a notice?
I can drive faster than you

SQ22

Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:32 am

Deletion notifications are not working for a long time. Copied from the forum rules:

2. Deletions, Warnings, Account Suspension (Ban), and Appeals

a. Deletions
1. If your post or thread has been deleted, please do not view this as a personal attack against you by the Forum Moderators. If you believe there was an error, please send an email to [email protected] to bring it to our attention.
2. If your thread was deleted, please contact the Moderators for approval to repost the topic prior to doing so. Reposting a deleted topic could lead to a warning or account suspension being issued. We will provide an explanation for deletion, and suggested remedies for reposting.

So if you want to know the reason please write an email. We are not happy that the notifications are not working, but we cannot send a manual mail for every deletion we are doing. We have recently addressed this issue (again) to the developers.

enzo011

Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:10 pm

It would be great if we are able to get a message why a post is deleted. Otherwise you cannot expect posters to learn and adapt their posting style if they don't know what is allowed and what is not. I am sure some debate, from off the site and into PM's can be had about the post as well if there is a different opinion and if a post should be allowed.

atcsundevil

Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:23 pm

enzo011 wrote:
It would be great if we are able to get a message why a post is deleted. Otherwise you cannot expect posters to learn and adapt their posting style if they don't know what is allowed and what is not. I am sure some debate, from off the site and into PM's can be had about the post as well if there is a different opinion and if a post should be allowed.

We completely agree that users should be notified. However, we simply don't have the ability to manually contact everyone. We are volunteers, and there are not many of us — we devote what time we can to responding to reported posts and reviewing troublesome topics, but we don't have much time for other things. Manually sending out notifications for deletions is extremely time consuming, particularly when some difficult threads can result in a string of dozens of deletions. If we make 10 deletions in a thread, it would take me about two minutes to make the deletions, and 15 minutes to manually send all of the notifications. That's 15 minutes I could use for reviewing a half dozen other threads, which is how we feel our time is best prioritized when most of us only have an hour or two to devote to the site every day.

The old site had automated notifications, which is why everyone got used to it. No other forum that I'm aware of offers any form of notifications for simple post deletions, which is why it wasn't included in the coding for this forum. When the switch to this new site was made three years ago, such a feature was never created for that reason. We have been quite literally begging for developers to create the feature ever since. We've been dealing with backlash from users expecting notifications for years, and we're tired of it too. We just don't have a more practical option.

Armadillo1

Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:28 pm

see less reason to post here in general.

its not about notifications only, but for no reason for deletion absolutely neutral posts and topics.
"just mail mods" is a good barier to prevent feedback, but in the end will prevent posts itself

atcsundevil

Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:39 pm

Armadillo1 wrote:

its not about notifications only, but for no reason for deletion absolutely neutral posts and topics.
"just mail mods" is a good barier to prevent feedback, but in the end will prevent posts itself

Like I said in my last post, I am not aware of any other forum that proactively notifies users for simple post removals. If you can find one, then by all means, prove me wrong. The old site (which it seems you weren't even around for) had a lot of unique features that users became accustomed to. The developers haven't prioritized our numerous requests to create the feature, and we don't have time to proactively contact everyone.

You can be as critical of us as you'd like, but it's coming from a point of ignorance. I'll assume that you're like most of us and you have a job, a family, and a social life, along with other responsibilities. How much time do you think you'd have to devote to a website on top of all of that? Most of us manage about an hour or two a day, sometimes more. When there's too much work and not enough time to do it, you have to choose what needs to be done more. So yes, "just mail mods" is our only practical option. If you think you can do better, then I'll expect to see your application the next time we're bringing on new moderators. There's no point in complaining if you don't want to try to fix it.

DDR
Topic Author

Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:03 pm

SQ22 and atcsundevil, thanks for the responses. Appreciate them.

cpd

Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:16 pm

atcsundevil wrote:
Armadillo1 wrote:

Like I said in my last post, I am not aware of any other forum that proactively notifies users for simple post removals. If you can find one, then by all means, prove me wrong. The old site (which it seems you weren't even around for) had a lot of unique features that users became accustomed to. The developers haven't prioritized our numerous requests to create the feature, and we don't have time to proactively contact everyone.

You can be as critical of us as you'd like, but it's coming from a point of ignorance. I'll assume that you're like most of us and you have a job, a family, and a social life, along with other responsibilities. How much time do you think you'd have to devote to a website on top of all of that? Most of us manage about an hour or two a day, sometimes more. When there's too much work and not enough time to do it, you have to choose what needs to be done more. So yes, "just mail mods" is our only practical option. If you think you can do better, then I'll expect to see your application the next time we're bringing on new moderators. There's no point in complaining if you don't want to try to fix it.

The old forum I was an administrator on for many years notified users of post removals if we turned that on - which we did. It meant that replies didn’t just simply vanish. It also kept you accountable - if I remove a topic or reply it’s going to send a notification and you have to put in a reason. Even during the firestorm of disputes on 9/11 and the weeks following it when we were very busy.

We all do other things and balance priorities, it’s part of life. You can swap with what I do and see how you manage, for some perspective.

atcsundevil

Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:56 pm

cpd wrote:
The old forum I was an administrator on for many years notified users of post removals if we turned that on - which we did. It meant that replies didn’t just simply vanish.

Sounds like it was a great forum, but our forum doesn't have a magic switch or we would have turned it on. From what we're told, that isn't something that's part of phpBB, and it would require the developers to create some sort of code. I highly doubt that will ever happen.

cpd wrote:
It also kept you accountable - if I remove a topic or reply it’s going to send a notification and you have to put in a reason.

We have said all along that we are completely in favor of being held accountable. It was MUCH easier for us when users received automated notifications for deletions rather than the backlash we receive for posts being removed without notice. That's exactly why we have been begging the developers for this for years, to no avail.

cpd wrote:
You can swap with what I do and see how you manage, for some perspective.

Not sure what this means? If you're implying that I need your perspective on how to effectively manage my responsibilities, that's quite a bold claim for someone who doesn't know me. I'd say that I'm managing my priorities quite well given the stress my career entails. The point I was making was that many users have the expectation that we work here full time, when that's clearly not the case. If my explanation gave you the impression that I was personally unable to manage my time, then clearly there was a misunderstanding.

Armadillo1

Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:35 am

still looks like you guys just not control the situation.
my topic about Jonson&jonson - dont answer me why. just answer do you ever avare of reason it has been deleted? or it just about smbdy personal fun?

SQ22

Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:08 am

Armadillo1 wrote:
still looks like you guys just not control the situation.
my topic about Jonson&jonson - dont answer me why. just answer do you ever avare of reason it has been deleted? or it just about smbdy personal fun?

I have sent you a PM after I have deleted it explaining the reason and you replied to it. Did you just poste this before reading it?

Armadillo1

Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:21 am

yes, before. (another funny thing even you cant see normal time for posts, just stupid "xx ago")
i did not agree with you, but at least got the answer

SQ22

Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:39 am

Armadillo1 wrote:
yes, before. (another funny thing even you cant see normal time for posts, just stupid "xx ago")
i did not agree with you, but at least got the answer

Good. I gave you the reason and you can look into the forum rules.

Anyway, for future queries like this please write to [email protected].