pollitt1985
Topic Author

Is this site US biased?

Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:48 pm

Forgive me for speaking out of turn, I have been actively following this site for many, many years. But what I can't help to notice is the increasing US centric nature of the topics that end up on the home page of the site. Yes, Im sure that aviation in Vermont is worthy of us all seeing it but a more global approach would make more sense and make the top forums more interesting. I understand that the US is the largest aviation market (for now) but the focus on such niche topics is alienating to us non US frequent viewers

YouGeeElWhy

Re: Is this site US biased?

Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:51 pm

Like all English based sites built by Americans on a subject invented by Americans, it's subjects are going to be US-centric just like any other site. It is just numbers.

Jean Leloup

Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:53 pm

1) This should be in site-related.

2) What are you advocating? Kicking out US members until they no longer form the largest membership group? You realize that you, as a non-'murrican, are allowed to start your own threads, as well as to read and contribute only to those that match your interests, correct?

If the site appeals more to Americans than to those of us who are not so blessed to have been born in God's country, there's not much we can do about it. It does not, in any way, constitute bias on the part of the website.

JL
Jean Leloup - original a.net moderator and still recovering!

kordcj

Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:54 pm

You’re always free to start a conversation on a topic you feel is worth discussing as it relates to your home market. Looking at the topics currently under discussion on page 1 of the civil aviation forum, I’d say it’s a good blend of US and non US related topics. Maybe Americans have more free time to discuss such topics, or have a greater aviation interest than the rest of the world, but I don’t believe the site overall is US biased.
The most obvious proof for intelligent life in the universe is that they haven't tried to contact us.

Jean Leloup

Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:57 pm

YouGeeElWhy wrote:
Like all English based sites built by Americans on a subject invented by Americans, it's subjects are going to be US-centric just like any other site. It is just numbers.

Those of us who've been here long enough (read my signature!) will remember that a.net was very much NOT built by Americans. However, not only is the US the country with by far the most native English speakers, it also seems to be the case that aviation is more culturally appreciated in the US (i.e., it's more likely to be a topic of discussion or hobby). I agree that it's all numbers.

In the early days of a.net moderation, we used to to get roughly equal complaints that the site was biased in favour of US posters or European posters (with the rest of the world, myself included, always ignored). Same for Boeing and Airbus, of course.

The equal whining always made us confident that we were doing a pretty good job!

JL
Jean Leloup - original a.net moderator and still recovering!

chepos

Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:01 pm

YouGeeElWhy wrote:

A.net was built by a Swedish man, Johan back in the late 90’s. Granted I believe it has always been English based

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fly the Flag!!!!

airkas1
Head Screener

Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:06 pm

US biased, I guess so. It's been that way for a long time. When talking about based, that would be Canada.

You [...] are allowed to start your own threads, as well as to read and contribute only to those that match your interests

Pretty much this ^.

pollitt1985
Topic Author

Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:13 pm

Let's be realistic here, whilst this may be US owned, operated and the largest aviation market, and let's not forget that the commercial jet engine started life (albeit losing a lot ) in the UK, this site is open to all to comment and equally pass judgement. BTW I am now in Oz and fly one of the busiest routes in the world on a weekly basid

fraspotter

Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:38 pm

The site was built by a Swede back in the 90s however he later sold it to an American company a number of years ago but it has always had a majority of its members be American/US based. The noticeable imbalance of topics focusing on US centric topics the OP speaks of is a bit of a stretch but even if it were true, what would you expect from a site whose majority of members are American/US based? If you feel there's an imbalance then feel free to start a topic that focuses on a topic more to your liking.
"The strength of the turbulence is directly proportional to the temperature of your coffee."

— Gunter's Second Law of Air Travel

qf789

Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:46 pm

pollitt1985 wrote:
Let's be realistic here, whilst this may be US owned, operated and the largest aviation market, and let's not forget that the commercial jet engine started life (albeit losing a lot ) in the UK, this site is open to all to comment and equally pass judgement. BTW I am now in Oz and fly one of the busiest routes in the world on a weekly basid

It has already been pointed out the site owners are based in Canada therefore it is not US owned. We as moderators are not biased towards the US, ultimately it is the responsibility of everyone to contribute the site to make it as good as they want it to be, as long as users follow the rules set out by us we encourage healthy and productive discussions. May I suggest rather than whining about the site being US biased maybe you should participate in the forums more than what you do.
Forum Moderator

ODwyerPW

Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:52 pm

Personally,
I would love to see more discussions by Asians, Europeans, Africans and South Americans on their 'regional' travel. We talk allot about CRJs, ERJs, ATRs here that are used throughout the USA, but I'm curious to know what the regional landscape looks like on the other continents.

For instance, will the new Tecnam P2012 Traveller fill any specific needs in other places? Would it do better if it were stretched slightly for markets that allow commercial single pilot ops for pax capacities above 9? Are 402s, 208s seeing as much service in these other places as they are in the USA? Are there any places that have unique aviation requirements like the USA has in Alaska? How are those met?
learning never stops.

caribny

Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:52 pm

ODwyerPW wrote:
Personally,
I would love to see more discussions by Asians, Europeans, Africans and South Americans on their 'regional' travel. We talk allot about CRJs, ERJs, ATRs here that are used throughout the USA, but I'm curious to know what the regional landscape looks like on the other continents.

For instance, will the new Tecnam P2012 Traveller fill any specific needs in other places? Would it do better if it were stretched slightly for markets that allow commercial single pilot ops for pax capacities above 9? Are 402s, 208s seeing as much service in these other places as they are in the USA? Are there any places that have unique aviation requirements like the USA has in Alaska? How are those met?

There are threads specific to certain regions. Pacific, diverse parts of Africa, Central America, Caribbean, Jamaica and elsewhere. Much of the conversation of these regions appears in those threads.

ODwyerPW

Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:07 pm

caribny wrote:
There are threads specific to certain regions. Pacific, diverse parts of Africa, Central America, Caribbean, Jamaica and elsewhere. Much of the conversation of these regions appears in those threads.

Yeah, I always enjoy reading the Scottish and New Zealand specific threads.
learning never stops.

VSMUT

Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:22 am

Could we start by throwing all the US3 infighting into one million page megathread? Seems reasonable enough to me.

readytotaxi

Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:42 pm

. . . . . and SkyTrax is honest ! :stirthepot:
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!
Growing older, but not up.

KFTG

Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:09 am

Would you rather it be more Russia-centric, Vladimir?