seat64k
Topic Author

Request regarding locked threads

Fri Dec 20, 2019 2:14 pm

I'd like to ask if moderators could endevour to always add a post stating a reason (as specific or vague as is appropriate) when locking a thread? Similar to how the $aircraft production threads are locked when a new one is created - last post from the mod menions the new place, etc.

For background, today my notifications included this thread:

viewtopic.php?t=1413931&view=unread#unread

There hasn't been a response for 10 months, and the thread is locked. It's a spirited discussion but pretty vanilla compared to most threads in non-av. It would be useful to see if there were replies removed that resulted in the thread being locked.

Thanks

atcsundevil

Re: Request regarding locked threads

Fri Dec 20, 2019 2:54 pm

seat64k wrote:
I'd like to ask if moderators could endevour to always add a post stating a reason (as specific or vague as is appropriate) when locking a thread? Similar to how the $aircraft production threads are locked when a new one is created - last post from the mod menions the new place, etc.

For background, today my notifications included this thread:

viewtopic.php?t=1413931&view=unread#unread

There hasn't been a response for 10 months, and the thread is locked. It's a spirited discussion but pretty vanilla compared to most threads in non-av. It would be useful to see if there were replies removed that resulted in the thread being locked.

Thanks

We typically do post a reason unless it's obvious. In this case, there's a good reason we wouldn't post. The thread has been inactive for more than six months, but it received a reply. That reply was removed as a thread bump, per forum rules. If we posted a reason, it's doing the same thing — bumping an inactive thread, just so we can post that it's being locked for inactivity. It would be nonsensical. Our procedure in that case is to remove the posts that bumped the thread, lock it, and let the thread remain archived. To users familiar with the thread bump rule, it should be relatively clear as to what has occurred.

Users can reply to threads inactive for longer than six months provided they first receive moderator approval. That rarely happens, and most posts that bump old threads are completely inconsequential to the discussion. This was a compromise we made in the rules, because longtime users of were used to threads being automatically locked after just a few weeks on the old site. Therefore, we settled on six months as the cutoff. Users are instructed by the forum rules to leave threads alone which are inactive for longer than six months, unless they request approval prior to posting.

seat64k
Topic Author

Fri Dec 20, 2019 3:13 pm

Understood, thanks, this makes sense. Admittedly, I haven't read the rules in full since joining the site - I should probably do a refresher!

NameOmitted

Sat Dec 21, 2019 7:40 am

Putting a boilerplate explanation would be useful in that instance.

I was under the impression that we were supposed to look for existing threads if we had related discussion.

I am sorry for resurrecting zombie threads.

SQ22

Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:03 am

NameOmitted wrote:
Putting a boilerplate explanation would be useful in that instance.

I was under the impression that we were supposed to look for existing threads if we had related discussion.

I am sorry for resurrecting zombie threads.

If you think a thread bump is justified, just contact us in advance, as far as I can remember we have not rejected such a request so far.