speedbird52
Topic Author

What does "rejection for quality" mean?

Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:39 pm

Hi, my photography recently got rejected after two weeks in review for "quality". With all due respect, rejecting for poor "quality" is such vague feedback I might as well have not gotten any feedback at all. What was wrong with the photo? Was there not enough sharpening? Was there too much sharpening? Was it out of focus? Do I need to buy a higher megapixel camera to be allowed to post on this site? Did the mods dislike my choice of color palate? What exactly was wrong with my photo, and what can I do to fix it?

dutchspotter1

Re: What does "rejection for quality" mean?

Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:38 pm

from the Upload & Acceptance Guide:

Quality

The image quality of your photo(s) did not meet the very high standards of Airliners.net.

This may be the result of several perceived problems happening simultaneously, such as noise, blurriness, or unfavorable lighting. Usually we use this rejection reason to indicate that we suspect that the original image quality is not sufficient to make a good edit from it.

We will also use this rejection reason when we feel there are a number of different flaws in the image which have the effect of reducing the overall quality of the image. This might include a number of factors, which in themselves may not be enough to warrant a rejection (e.g. slight oversharpening, contrast issues, etc.), but when seen together amount to a quality rejection. Other times this reason may be given when we cannot pinpoint the exact problem with your image. This can happen when your image is taken with a low quality digital camera or when your image was heavily cropped.

If you are using a digital camera, check the camera settings and use the highest quality setting and resolution the camera has to offer. Please be aware also that unprocessed digital camera output is generally not of acceptable quality for Airliners.net. Most shots from a digital camera do require a certain amount of post-processing with image editing software, mainly levelling, sharpening and resizing. If you are using a lower quality digital camera you may want to consider investing in a camera with higher resolution or borrow one from your friend/workplace/school.

If the image was a scanned photo, negative or slide, the most common cause for this problem is either a bad scanner or that the scanner wasn't used properly. If you think this might be the cause, please read the documentation for your scanner and find the best DPI and color settings. Generally a higher DPI and color setting will make a higher quality image, but only to a certain degree. Try many different settings until you find the best combination. If you are using an old or low quality scanner, you might consider investing in a new or borrow one from your friend/workplace/school.

Sometimes it may help to reduce the size of the photo. A smaller size will mask more flaws. However in todays world, if you have a (semi-)proffesional camera, enlarging the image to a bit bigger size might also help. Whcih way you should resize cannot be determined without an actual photo though, so you will likely have to learn through trial and error. The Feedback forum is a good tool in such cases, there you can post your photos so your peers and screeners can give you feedback on them before they get screened.

Because of our very high quality standards, a high quality camera is required in order to get photos accepted on Airliners.net. A low quality point-and-shoot camera or mobile phone camera will generally result in a low quality images. Although nowadays, even some mobile phone cameras will get an acceptable results in the right conditions. We also need to mention here that slidescans or printscans are generally not of high enough quality to be accepted here. The exception in this case are old images (pre digital era), which as explained in the general notes section are subject to much lower standards. However, when submitting slidescans or printscans of current subjects they will in most cases not be of sufficient quality.
NO URLS in signature

JohnKrist
Head Support

Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:25 pm

speedbird52 wrote:
Hi, my photography recently got rejected after two weeks in review for "quality". With all due respect, rejecting for poor "quality" is such vague feedback I might as well have not gotten any feedback at all. What was wrong with the photo? Was there not enough sharpening? Was there too much sharpening? Was it out of focus? Do I need to buy a higher megapixel camera to be allowed to post on this site? Did the mods dislike my choice of color palate? What exactly was wrong with my photo, and what can I do to fix it?

Post the image in the photography feedback forum and you will get comments.

viewforum.php?f=8

Quality usually means that the photo probably can’t meat the standards of Anet regardless of editing.
5D Mark III, 7D, 17-40 F4 L, 70-200 F2.8 L IS II, Canon 50mm 1.4, Sigma 50mm 1.4 ART, Sigma 105mm 1.4 ART, EF 1.4x II, EF 2x III, SPEEDLITE 600EX-RT

speedbird52
Topic Author

Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:20 am

JohnKrist wrote:
speedbird52 wrote:

Post the image in the photography feedback forum and you will get comments.

viewforum.php?f=8

Quality usually means that the photo probably can’t meat the standards of Anet regardless of editing.

Thank you!