departedflights
Topic Author

Criteria for "Travel, Polls and Preferences?"

Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:12 pm

The description for the Travel, Polls and Preferences forum reads:

"Opinion-based discussions about aviation. The best, worst, biggest, smallest. Or seeking advice as to a preferred carrier for a trip you are planning, etc."

Those are the words on Airliners.net. I did not write them myself.

In the past few days, however, a thread about why United retired the L-1011 has been moved from Civil Aviation to Travel, Polls and Preferences.

Another thread asking which Northwest Airlines aircraft was the first to wear the Bowling Ball Shoe livery was also moved from Civil Aviation to Travel, Polls and Preferences.

A few weeks ago, a question I asked about a FACT (What was the official name of TWA at the end of their history? Was is still called Trans World Airlines or was it just TWA, LLC?) was moved from Civil Aviation to Travel, Polls and Preferences.

Moderators, none of these topics are anything to do with opinions or preferences.

There is a now several week old topic regarding Continental's use of 747s at Newark that is no more opinion-related than any of the other topics that have been moved, yet it has been allowed to stay in Civil Aviation for ten days now.

I am truly asking, with all due respect, why are so many fact-based questions and topics moved to a forum that is specifically for "Opinion-based discussions?"

The Civil Aviation thread is full of topics asking "Why doesn't this airline fly here?" or "Where does this airline expand to next?" Those are more of opinion threads than many of the other topics that I have cited.

Again... just asking for some clarification here. Please help me (and probably some others) understand.

Thank you.

KFTG

Re: Criteria for "Travel, Polls and Preferences?"

Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:22 am

That forum is a dumping ground for "lower quality" threads. At least that is apparently what it's for.

SQ22

Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:32 pm

I am sorry for the late reply and I can't comment on all of your points, but I can make a comment om threads which are in the way like "Why has airline abc retired the 737-200 after they merged with def? My answer would be, because they merged and were old. I do consider this a poll, hence these threads will be moved to Travel, Polls and Preferences, but I am only doing this if they are really containing one sentence. They are on the border of being low quality, because my expectation is, in case a user is really interested in discussing a topic, he or she will write a bit more than bringing op a question in one sentence, but low quality threads are being deleted.

So thats where you can see the difference: In case a different user would bring up the same question with some background information, which could lead to a much more intensive discussion with all the background information he or she provided in his thread, I might not consider it being a poll to which because my reply would be much longer based on all the background information in the first post.

The Continental 747 thread is indeed a thread were the user but at least a bit more effort into his first post and asking more than just one question to be considered a poll.

It doesn't matter if a poll is based on facts or if its based on opinions, its still the same a poll, hence it will be moved.

Anyway this is just my way of handling these threads and another moderator might have another view on certain topics. We are not online 24/7.

jeffrey0032j

Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:54 pm

Hi, how about this thread regarding airport photos in the current situation:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1443067

It looks like it is a better fit in Civil Aviation, where it used to be, than Travel, Polls and Preferences. This is provides good ongoing documentation of the impact of current coronavirus pandemic.

mxaxai

Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:48 am

On this topic, there is this thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1442899 in CivAv discussing (cargo) operators increasing capacity
and this thread: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1443285&start=50 in Polls discussing whether (passenger) operators would restart dedicated cargo flights.
Not only is the discussion in both topics very similar but both are not strictly 'opinion-based polls' but collect a number of news articles of airlines either increasing cargo capacity or running dedicated cargo flights on passenger aircraft.

Both should be in Civil Aviation, although one could make a point to merge the two threads. Yes the OP in both cases was a very simple question but the discussion that followed is certainly fact-based and not really in the style of a poll.

SQ22

Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:35 pm

mxaxai wrote:
On this topic, there is this thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1442899 in CivAv discussing (cargo) operators increasing capacity
and this thread: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1443285&start=50 in Polls discussing whether (passenger) operators would restart dedicated cargo flights.
Not only is the discussion in both topics very similar but both are not strictly 'opinion-based polls' but collect a number of news articles of airlines either increasing cargo capacity or running dedicated cargo flights on passenger aircraft.

Both should be in Civil Aviation, although one could make a point to merge the two threads. Yes the OP in both cases was a very simple question but the discussion that followed is certainly fact-based and not really in the style of a poll.

I agree with you, both threads eveloved into a deeper discussion and there was quite some overlap in topics being discussed. Threads have been merged and title has been updated.