Moderators: richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

Ishrion
Topic Author

Can we divide the Coronavirus Aviation Related News & Discussion Thread similar to the 737 MAX threads?

Tue Mar 17, 2020 1:14 am

The Coronavirus Aviation Related News & Discussion Thread has been pretty chaotic with information constantly being repeated. I'm sure others would agree with this.

Would it be possible to divide it into a discussion thread and a reference thread similar to the two 737 MAX grounding threads?

VSMUT

Re: Can we divide the Coronavirus Aviation Related News & Discussion Thread similar to the 737 MAX threads?

Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:19 pm

How about we avoid chaotic megathreads?

davidjohnson6

Re: Can we divide the Coronavirus Aviation Related News & Discussion Thread similar to the 737 MAX threads?

Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:51 pm

The problem with coronavirus, is that the whole stream of news events is really quite chaotic in what happens next. The 737 Max episode after a while settled down in terms of what came out in the news - we knew that the FAA were watching Boeing very carefully, various meetings were scheduled on specific dates - it was all rather engineering led by sober and fairly calm people, with reasonably clear expectations as to what would happen, with only the occasional mild surprise - very much a planned trajectory with minor deviations

The coronavirus story on the other hand seems to oscillate wildly; every few hours there seems to be a major surprise - Emirates largely suspending passengers flights was today's big surprise for me. While the people making the big decisions would like to give the image of being very calm and organised, I think behind closed doors, there is a significant level of panic going on
I think it would be somewhat harder to put structure around a topic where things right now are just so unpredictable

atcsundevil

Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:58 pm

We're working on some solutions. For now, we will allow for more splintering of discussions away from the updates thread. We're also discussing a pinned update thread similar to the MAX. These things require significantly more work for us to moderate and manage. I realize some people are quarantined and have more time on their hands than usual, but some of us, myself included, are still reporting to work as usual. We'll do what we can to help facilitate discussions and keep everyone informed in a way that we can also keep up.

✈️ atcsundevil

IAHWorldflyer

Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:52 pm

Could we make a Coronavirus Discussion Part 3 soon? The Part 2 is up to 38 pages this morning, it is quite difficult to sift through all of that.

SQ22

Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:43 pm

IAHWorldflyer wrote:
Could we make a Coronavirus Discussion Part 3 soon? The Part 2 is up to 38 pages this morning, it is quite difficult to sift through all of that.

There will be a new thread by April 1st, 2020.