Moderators: richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

flyingturtle
Topic Author

Thread locked

Sun May 17, 2020 7:22 am

Which [succinct description of the admin in question] deleted my update on this thread?

viewtopic.php?p=22220337#p22220337
Reading accident reports is what calms me down

qf789

Re: Thread locked

Sun May 17, 2020 9:22 am

flyingturtle wrote:
Which [succinct description of the admin in question] deleted my update on this thread?

viewtopic.php?p=22220337#p22220337

There is no need to be rude. Your post was deleted as you violated the rules regarding thread bumps, they are posted below as a reminder

Thread Bumps
1. Occurs when a user “bumps” a dormant thread to the top of the forum, or when a user purposely responds to their own thread to elicit a response.
2. Threads that have been inactive for more than six months (meaning the last post in the thread was made more than six months from the current date) are not to be commented on, and should remain permanently dormant unless the user first seeks approval from a Moderator to post in that thread.
3. Threads that have comments posted after more than six months of inactivity will be locked, and all new comments will be deleted for housekeeping purposes.
4. If you would like to add a comment to a thread that has been inactive for more than six months and is relevant to the subject (such as new information has become available), you are required to seek approval from a Moderator to reply to the thread. Alternatively, you can start a new thread and include
a link to the older thread in your post. To request this approval, please email [email protected] with your reason to bump or reopen a thread.
5. “Bumping” your own thread to elicit responses is never permitted, and the entire thread may be removed. Users should not post successively in a manner that clearly demonstrates this purpose.
Forum Moderator

flyingturtle
Topic Author

Mon May 18, 2020 7:50 pm

qf789 wrote:

Well, you expertly cited the rules for thread bumps, which is exactly what I did not do.

I added new accident investigation results to the relevant thread, thus keeping information together.

atcsundevil

Mon May 18, 2020 10:21 pm

flyingturtle wrote:
qf789 wrote:

Well, you expertly cited the rules for thread bumps, which is exactly what I did not do.

I added new accident investigation results to the relevant thread, thus keeping information together.

Did you read the entire rule? Because it is exactly what you did.

"Threads that have been inactive for more than six months (meaning the last post in the thread was made more than six months from the current date) are not to be commented on, and should remain permanently dormant unless the user first seeks approval from a Moderator to post in that thread."

That thread was inactive for more than four years. Our rule is six months, and it isn't a new rule. The old site would automatically lock dormant threads after just a couple of weeks, so six months is more than reasonable. You can post to dormant threads provided you request permission from a moderator prior to posting.

flyingturtle
Topic Author

Tue May 19, 2020 1:43 pm

atcsundevil wrote:

I did. And I'm a referee in two sports. While knowing the rules is a necessity, knowing when to enforce them is another necessity.

Somehow it does not come to your attention is that I've added value to a thread, and somebody who is interested in that particular accident would have thanked me for that addition.

atcsundevil

Tue May 19, 2020 2:12 pm

flyingturtle wrote:
atcsundevil wrote:

I did. And I'm a referee in two sports. While knowing the rules is a necessity, knowing when to enforce them is another necessity.

Somehow it does not come to your attention is that I've added value to a thread, and somebody who is interested in that particular accident would have thanked me for that addition.

Okay, then you know that every sport has some rules with 100% enforcement. This is a rule that we have 100% enforcement. Six months isn't a number we magically pulled out of a hat — it was based on some pretty extensive discussions where users gave their input. We settled on six months as a happy medium between people who wanted threads locked quickly like the old site and those who never wanted threads locked. We aren't going to rewrite that rule simply because you don't think we should enforce it. It's been in place for over three years, and it isn't going to change.

I've officiated two sports for very nearly two decades myself. You should know as well as I do that you can't pick and choose which definitions of a rule you'd like to be relevant. It isn't up to you to determine which rules are gray area rules. You apparently know that you bumped the thread, but you chose not to email us so that you could do it properly. The only thing that comes to my attention is that you've purposely chosen to disregard the rules. As a referee, are you telling me that you'd simply let a player get away with it after wilfully breaking the rules? No. That's what penalties are for. In this case, having your post removed and the thread locked.

Just like a referee, our job here is to keep an orderly discussion, which is accomplished by creating and following a set of rules. 90% of our rules give us flexibility on enforcement; this one is pretty airtight for a reason, because it's a contentious issue with a lot of people (as is evident by this discussion).

All you had to do was ask us if you could post to the old thread, or if you needed to create a new thread referencing the four year old thread. Doing that is far less time-consuming on your part than trying to make the argument that some rules don't need to be followed.

flyingturtle
Topic Author

Tue May 19, 2020 2:57 pm

atcsundevil wrote:
As a referee, are you telling me that you'd simply let a player get away with it after wilfully breaking the rules? No. That's what penalties are for.

It depends on the exact circumstances. If I sanctioned everything I'm seeing, they'd surely hate me. I try not to be a dick, and they try not to be dicks.

atcsundevil wrote:
All you had to do was ask us if you could post to the old thread, or if you needed to create a new thread referencing the four year old thread. Doing that is far less time-consuming on your part than trying to make the argument that some rules don't need to be followed.

Why should I trust people who think their pure, whole and undiluted Rules are more important than my efforts? How many seconds did the twatwaffle spend reading my posting?

Well, I'll just stop updating the forums when it comes to accident investigations.

eta unknown

Wed May 20, 2020 6:39 pm

OK- so it was previously agreed VA's bankruptcy/administration deserved it's own thread, but now that thread is locked without explanation. Pray do tell...

janders

Wed May 20, 2020 8:14 pm

eta unknown wrote:
OK- so it was previously agreed VA's bankruptcy/administration deserved it's own thread, but now that thread is locked without explanation. Pray do tell...

Does not look locked to me

viewtopic.php?p=22184579
"We make war that we may live in peace." -- Aristotle