Page 1 of 1

Why is Air France's A380 Retirement unable to have its own thread?

Posted: Wed May 20, 2020 4:31 pm
by Ishrion
Please clarify. Is this news not one of the most impactful in aviation? Is it unable to warrant its separate discussion? As noted by some people, not everyone checks the Air France-KLM Master Thread.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1446493

Thanks.

Re: Why is Air France's A380 Retirement unable to have its own thread?

Posted: Wed May 20, 2020 8:25 pm
by janders
The news of the retirement and the associated Air France press release was already posted and being discussed in the AF KL thread already.

While one can believe that a standalone thread is warranted, we need to be mindful and try to avoid having simultaneous discussions on the same topic across multiple threads. Fracturing the discussion is in itself problematic, creates cross-posting issues, and generates complaints from members.

A link was posted in the locked thread directing participants to the ongoing AF KL thread.

Re: Why is Air France's A380 Retirement unable to have its own thread?

Posted: Wed May 20, 2020 10:04 pm
by Ishrion
janders wrote:

While one can believe that a standalone thread is warranted, we need to be mindful and try to avoid having simultaneous discussions on the same topic across multiple threads. Fracturing the discussion is in itself problematic, creates cross-posting issues, and generates complaints from members.

A link was posted in the locked thread directing participants to the ongoing AF KL thread.


Understood, but the problem is, not everyone checks these threads? I personally ignore threads that I'm not interested in, and I'm sure others do as well. There was one person that said he wouldn't have found out about the A380 retirement if it wasn't for a separate post.

Re: Why is Air France's A380 Retirement unable to have its own thread?

Posted: Thu May 21, 2020 1:00 am
by Ishrion
Ishrion wrote:
janders wrote:

While one can believe that a standalone thread is warranted, we need to be mindful and try to avoid having simultaneous discussions on the same topic across multiple threads. Fracturing the discussion is in itself problematic, creates cross-posting issues, and generates complaints from members.

A link was posted in the locked thread directing participants to the ongoing AF KL thread.


Understood, but the problem is, not everyone checks these threads? I personally ignore threads that I'm not interested in, and I'm sure others do as well. There was one person that said he wouldn't have found out about the A380 retirement if it wasn't for a separate post.


Also just adding on, the header for Civil Aviation forums says:

Discussions about factual events happening in the airline and general aviation industries. If it's happening in commercial aviation, you'll get the information and opinions here first.


Hearing about the information "here first" may be difficult if someone has to go through a consolidated thread with several replies, and again, not everyone checks all these consolidated threads. Since it's a thread covering several topics, it may be hard to find where the topic (such as the A380 retirement) actually began.

In contrast, having a separate discussion for a massive topic like this is easy for the reader as they can simply click on the thread, see the original post, and get the information they need.

Re: Why is Air France's A380 Retirement unable to have its own thread?

Posted: Thu May 21, 2020 2:22 am
by VirginFlyer
janders wrote:
The news of the retirement and the associated Air France press release was already posted and being discussed in the AF KL thread already.

While one can believe that a standalone thread is warranted, we need to be mindful and try to avoid having simultaneous discussions on the same topic across multiple threads. Fracturing the discussion is in itself problematic, creates cross-posting issues, and generates complaints from members.

A link was posted in the locked thread directing participants to the ongoing AF KL thread.

While I understand what you are saying here, there also needs to be a balance so that we don’t end up with a small number of heavily trafficked threads which equally fragment the discussion.

As a counter example, there is a thread Delta plans to emerge a "smaller" carrier simultaneously active with DL to permanently retire entire 777 fleet. To be honest I have not been following the first, but have followed the second. If the same thinking were applied as was to the Air France A380 thread and they were to be rolled into one, I would not continue to follow it.

I would suggest that the retirement of the A380 from Air France is sufficiently noteworthy to warrant its own thread, and that if there is concern about the discussion being fragmented with the AFKL thread, it would be better to ask that that thread be kept for more general discussion, and the discussion of the A380 retirement be kept to a specific thread.

V/F

Re: Why is Air France's A380 Retirement unable to have its own thread?

Posted: Sun May 24, 2020 6:02 pm
by rlwynn
There is no reason there should not be a dedicated thread anout the A380. It is just a moderators whim.

Re: Why is Air France's A380 Retirement unable to have its own thread?

Posted: Sun May 24, 2020 8:04 pm
by atcsundevil
rlwynn wrote:
There is no reason there should not be a dedicated thread anout the A380. It is just a moderators whim.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1446535

You're a little late to the party. We agreed that there should be a separate thread. It was not a moderator's whim, there was reasoning behind it, but we are always happy to have a constructive discussion when it comes to these things.

Re: Why is Air France's A380 Retirement unable to have its own thread?

Posted: Mon May 25, 2020 4:09 am
by rlwynn
You are one of the better ones i have seen over the years. Have seen many moderators come and Go over the last 20 years here. My comment was in how the vast majority act when they get thier bit of power.

Re: Why is Air France's A380 Retirement unable to have its own thread?

Posted: Mon May 25, 2020 6:34 am
by atcsundevil
rlwynn wrote:
You are one of the better ones i have seen over the years. Have seen many moderators come and Go over the last 20 years here. My comment was in how the vast majority act when they get thier bit of power.

I appreciate it — I work alongside some really dedicated moderators who really care about this community, and I just try to do my part.

I think it's sometimes difficult to realize the full intent behind a moderator's actions in some cases. Things always look differently without the full picture, so while something might look like a "power move" from a distance, in reality, it might be something done with the best intentions. Ultimately, we don't always get things right (or sometimes even if it is right, it still isn't right), so it's important for us to reevaluate our decisions. Constructive feedback in threads like this help us to reevaluate what we're doing. My main concern is that we get things right even if it comes late, and I know the rest of the moderating crew feels the same way.

I'm personally very proud of the moderating group we have right now — we've had quite a challenging few years that hasn't gotten any easier. We've certainly had some moderators in the past who have not lived up to the standards this community deserves, but I feel very confident with our current group. Having been around for 20 years, I'm sure you've seen the good, the bad, and the ugly, but hopefully with this group you can see more of the good than anything else. We all want to do right by the community and help keep this place going despite the challenges.