Moderators: richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

Insertnamehere
Topic Author

Ctrl+Enter to Post

Tue May 26, 2020 5:08 pm

I know this is a nit pick of nit pick but it would be nice to be able to press ctrl and enter to post much like other sites such as Reddit or Youtube, it just makes it a lot easier to post replies.

Moose135

Re: Ctrl+Enter to Post

Tue May 26, 2020 6:18 pm

It might be a nice option, if this site had a team of developers who worked on improvements and updates. Sadly, the site owners (and don't confuse them with the moderators, who do a good job) have decided that they will put no resources into anything other than basic maintenance to keep it running. There is a wish list of enhancements that the developers have been "working on" for several years now, none of which have been completed.
KC-135 - Passing gas and taking names!

atcsundevil

Tue May 26, 2020 8:08 pm

Insertnamehere wrote:
I know this is a nit pick of nit pick but it would be nice to be able to press ctrl and enter to post much like other sites such as Reddit or Youtube, it just makes it a lot easier to post replies.

I would assume that it would likely require a fundamental change to the phpBB platform we're using. Like Moose said, we literally have hundreds of critical items in a queue for the developers with little hope of progress on any of them. I'm not kidding, there would literally be 500+ items in front of this on our list.

Ultimately, we as moderators would prefer it not to be "easier" to post. We want users to create well-constructed posts to the point that pointing and clicking on a button isn't even a factor. We don't want to be Reddit or YouTube, and we don't want low quality junk posted on this site. It goes against the very foundations of this forum going back more than two decades. It might make us antiquated in comparison to other places like Reddit, but it would drive away our longtime and serious users. Ultimately, if clicking on a button is too cumbersome of a task to posting, then we'd rather it not be posted at all.

cpd

Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:22 am

atcsundevil wrote:
Insertnamehere wrote:

I would assume that it would likely require a fundamental change to the phpBB platform we're using. Like Moose said, we literally have hundreds of critical items in a queue for the developers with little hope of progress on any of them. I'm not kidding, there would literally be 500+ items in front of this on our list.

Ultimately, we as moderators would prefer it not to be "easier" to post. We want users to create well-constructed posts to the point that pointing and clicking on a button isn't even a factor. We don't want to be Reddit or YouTube, and we don't want low quality junk posted on this site. It goes against the very foundations of this forum going back more than two decades. It might make us antiquated in comparison to other places like Reddit, but it would drive away our longtime and serious users. Ultimately, if clicking on a button is too cumbersome of a task to posting, then we'd rather it not be posted at all.

Is anyone actively chasing what the developers are doing (if you have any) or pushing the owners of the site to allocate development resources to get prioritised tickets out of the backlog and into an active sprint? Even if it is just a 2 week one with say 10 tickets (that’s very conservative) it would make a difference.

That’s what a product owner (or the nearest role this site has) must be doing or otherwise other groups under the same ownership will push to get resources and this site won’t see improvements. Assuming it’s a shared group of developers.

And then it has to be tracked what the devs are doing, how they are going, what percentage of capacity are they at each day, how each task is progressing and you take notes of this so they can see that you are watching otherwise they’ll slow down and take it easy.

Now you would use tools like Slack to stay in touch with devs, and schedule daily developer standup meetings (15 minutes max) in Zoom, MS Teams or Skype. Even though you cannot track things in person, you still keep across what is happening that way.

The more it is demonstrated that the work was successful and the development resources were used effectively, the more likely it is you’ll be able to get resources to get things done in the future as well.

This sort of stuff is my real life work, I know what it is like to have a big backlog and very few resources (devs or budget) to get things done, multiple competing priorities. The only way out of it is to keep pressing your case and having your case backed by facts and figures.

Think about having a blank board (a craft store would have them) and then populate it with a roadmap, put post-it notes on there, split it up into whatever groupings make sense.

That shows what’s coming up, plan out what’s ahead in that way, that makes it easier to visualise and then you can put it into more formal documents so that if I was to ask you what are your priorities, you can immediately tell me, yes, it is these and we have that ready and planned to go. That will give me confidence.

atcsundevil

Sun Jun 07, 2020 2:18 pm

cpd wrote:
Is anyone actively chasing what the developers are doing (if you have any) or pushing the owners of the site to allocate development resources to get prioritised tickets out of the backlog and into an active sprint? Even if it is just a 2 week one with say 10 tickets (that’s very conservative) it would make a difference.

That’s what a product owner (or the nearest role this site has) must be doing or otherwise other groups under the same ownership will push to get resources and this site won’t see improvements. Assuming it’s a shared group of developers.

And then it has to be tracked what the devs are doing, how they are going, what percentage of capacity are they at each day, how each task is progressing and you take notes of this so they can see that you are watching otherwise they’ll slow down and take it easy.

Now you would use tools like Slack to stay in touch with devs, and schedule daily developer standup meetings (15 minutes max) in Zoom, MS Teams or Skype. Even though you cannot track things in person, you still keep across what is happening that way.

The more it is demonstrated that the work was successful and the development resources were used effectively, the more likely it is you’ll be able to get resources to get things done in the future as well.

This sort of stuff is my real life work, I know what it is like to have a big backlog and very few resources (devs or budget) to get things done, multiple competing priorities. The only way out of it is to keep pressing your case and having your case backed by facts and figures.

Think about having a blank board (a craft store would have them) and then populate it with a roadmap, put post-it notes on there, split it up into whatever groupings make sense.

That shows what’s coming up, plan out what’s ahead in that way, that makes it easier to visualise and then you can put it into more formal documents so that if I was to ask you what are your priorities, you can immediately tell me, yes, it is these and we have that ready and planned to go. That will give me confidence.

Our Community Manager, Paul, does the best that he can. He does communicate with the developers via Slack. As to what goes on or doesn't go on, I don't know, but I do know that Paul is the only link that seems to keep this place functional. We used to have specific developers working on our site, but it seems that hasn't been the case for quite a while now.

rlwynn

Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:39 pm

Has anybody asked the owners what the deal is?

At the Verticalscope website when you klick on the Airliners.net logo you get the following.

Ihre Verbindung ist nicht privat.
Angreifer versuchen möglicherweise Ihre Informationen von airliners.net zu stehlen (z. B. Kennwörter, Nachrichten oder Kreditkarten).
NET::ERR_CERT_COMMON_NAME_INVALID
I can drive faster than you

JohnKrist
Head Support

Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:19 am

rlwynn wrote:

At the Verticalscope website when you klick on the Airliners.net logo you get the following.

Angreifer versuchen möglicherweise Ihre Informationen von airliners.net zu stehlen (z. B. Kennwörter, Nachrichten oder Kreditkarten).

Guess they have a http-link and not https, not an Anet issue per se. Not sure why you want to go via their website though
5D Mark III, 7D, 17-40 F4 L, 70-200 F2.8 L IS II, Canon 50mm 1.4, Sigma 50mm 1.4 ART, Sigma 105mm 1.4 ART, EF 1.4x II, EF 2x III, SPEEDLITE 600EX-RT

JohnKrist
Head Support

Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:24 am

atcsundevil wrote:
cpd wrote:

Our Community Manager, Paul, does the best that he can. He does communicate with the developers via Slack. As to what goes on or doesn't go on, I don't know, but I do know that Paul is the only link that seems to keep this place functional. We used to have specific developers working on our site, but it seems that hasn't been the case for quite a while now.

I have asked those questions as well, like you cpd, devops, scrum and slack are three tools I use daily for dev iterations, and I have asked to be added to those channels at VS with no luck. I am product owner of a small crm system dealing with waste and water so I know how it is supposed to work...
5D Mark III, 7D, 17-40 F4 L, 70-200 F2.8 L IS II, Canon 50mm 1.4, Sigma 50mm 1.4 ART, Sigma 105mm 1.4 ART, EF 1.4x II, EF 2x III, SPEEDLITE 600EX-RT

rlwynn

Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:33 am

JohnKrist wrote:
rlwynn wrote:

Guess they have a http-link and not https, not an Anet issue per se. Not sure why you want to go via their website though

I was just looking around.

Funny. They have different sections. Auto, Powersports, Home, Technology. Anet is in the home section.
I can drive faster than you

JohnKrist
Head Support

Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:55 am

rlwynn wrote:
JohnKrist wrote:
rlwynn wrote:

I was just looking around.

Funny. They have different sections. Auto, Powersports, Home, Technology. Anet is in the home section.

Yup, they run a big platform of different interest specific forums, none as big as Anet though so we ought to get more developer time than we get IMO