Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

departedflights
Topic Author

Why so many different Delta threads?

Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:53 pm

I am curious as to why there are so many Delta threads allowed in the Civil Aviation forum. There is nothing quite like it for any other airline.

I am not criticizing anyone's moderation of the site, but when so many other topics are consolidated into larger threads, why are so many individual threads about one particular airline allowed?

On the first page of the forum right now we have:

Delta announced to phase out 717, 763 & CRJ200.
Delta Network Thread - 2020
Delta Widebody Thread - 2020
Delta Narrow Body Thread - 2020

Going on to the next few pages, we have:

Is DL taking delivery of A350’s from NRT to avoid tariffs?
DL adds FAT-LAX
Delta Aircraft Refurbishment Thread - 2020
Delta LGA Progress
DL commits to no furloughs for F/As & ground employees
Delta-LATAM sign JV Agreement
DL puts up SkyMiles as collateral for loan facility
DL to permanently retire entire 777 fleet

All of those threads active in the past week.

And the "Delta to emerge as a smaller carrier" thread went on for months and months.

Again, I am not criticizing anyone, I am truly curious as to why this is.

Thank you.

departedflights
Topic Author

Re: Why so many different Delta threads?

Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:03 am

So after 24 hours I still have no response? How about I try posting it in the civil aviation forum....

atcsundevil

Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:17 pm

departedflights wrote:
So after 24 hours I still have no response? How about I try posting it in the civil aviation forum....

How about you don't, because you know that's not the right place for it. Let's just try being patient next time. We can't be on here all of the time at your beck and call. I'm on the only vacation I'm getting this year, but since you need an answer so badly, here we go.

departedflights wrote:
I am curious as to why there are so many Delta threads allowed in the Civil Aviation forum. There is nothing quite like it for any other airline.

I am not criticizing anyone's moderation of the site, but when so many other topics are consolidated into larger threads, why are so many individual threads about one particular airline allowed?

Presumably because someone makes a thread about Delta, because that's what they want to discuss. We don't have quotas on how many threads of something can be discussed here. They're allowed because they're different subjects. If you can find me a rule that says only a certain number of discussions are allowed, then I'll enforce it. I'll save you the time though, because it isn't in there.

departedflights wrote:

DL adds FAT-LAX
Delta LGA Progress

And the "Delta to emerge as a smaller carrier" thread went on for months and months.

I'm not really sure what your point is here. Yes, there are too many carrier specific yearly threads, and they'll probably be combined into one for 2021 like the United thread was this year. The only reason there's one United thread instead of three is because it was combined this year to see if it worked. It did, so it will be carried over to the others.

Other than that, you listed about seven topics that are all valid discussions. What is the answer that you want to hear? Do you want me to delete them because you don't like looking at so many Delta threads? Do you want me to merge them all into one thread? I'm not sure what it is that you're aiming to accomplish here — our job is to facilitate discussions, and if 10 different Delta threads are what people want to discuss, then that's how this works.

airlineaddict

Thu Oct 01, 2020 11:57 am

departedflights wrote:

It’s a fair question. There’s inconsistency of organization among the different airlines. United has one mega thread with “important” threads broken out, American appears to have some thematic threads (fleet, network) but not sure about Delta.

While ATCsundevil has stated the United mega thread was a success, I would tell you that a good number (not all) of the contributors who provide United insights aren’t happy with what is or isn’t considered noteworthy for a separate thread.

With that background, I started a separate thread on this Site forum discussing what 2021 organization should look like. Like you, I’d like to see more consistency.

airlineaddict

Thu Oct 01, 2020 12:25 pm

Edit to last post - looks like DL does have some threads (narrow body, etc) but maybe the criteria of what’s noteworthy is different?

atcsundevil

Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:43 pm

airlineaddict wrote:
I would tell you that a good number (not all) of the contributors who provide United insights aren’t happy

Not everyone is going to be happy with whatever it is that we do. Clearly people aren't happy with too many threads, other people aren't happy with not enough threads. I'm not even going to try to appease everybody because there's no single solution. We're just trying to come up with a solution that works for most people.

lightsaber

Fri Oct 02, 2020 1:36 pm

We encourage side threads. I've personally watched UA and AA threads fall off the first page and few threads return if they fall off the first page. If you want a seperate thread on another airline, make sure the subject is clearly different than an existing thread and the side thread has a purpose different than a mega thread.

UA threads in first 3 pages:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1452339

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1437915

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1451517

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1447245

One mixed thread involving UA:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1452325

AA threads in first 3 pages:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1452449

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1452303

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1450863

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1452005

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1370337

We moderators do not determine what threads are popular. We enforce the forum rules.

Some of the seperate threads are because enthusiasts have their favorite aircraft they cheer on. Delta had a bizzarely diverse fleet, so the various retirements have been spun off for the seperate interest groups: 777, MD-80/MD-90, 717 (huge Douglas fanbase in aviation), and RJs.

I noticed AA furlough threads and aircraft types. Threads on UA consolidation of RJ vendors.

We as mods have nothing to do with thread popularity. I have no idea why the AA business and finance thread had no discussion in 3 days and fell off the radar:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1446411

Or why for a week UA selecting a sole RJ vendor fell out of interest:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1449481

I see the other threads, I often comment in the threads, but if six hours later the thread fell off the first page, it is out if sight and out of mind.

The UA and AA threads are being started. At this point, the UA mega thread is on pg. 2.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1437915

We mods receive hundreds of complaints per year on why aren't certain threads more popular. I cannot say for most, the thread I started and I find most interesting is now on page 4. :yawn: I expect in a few weeks the quarterly reports might have enough information to restart discussion, perhaps not.

I am wondering why no interest in a UA or AA fleet thread. Perhaps there just isn't enough to discuss, at this time?

Lightsaber

Nicoeddf

Tue Oct 06, 2020 6:37 pm

atcsundevil wrote:
departedflights wrote:

How about you don't, because you know that's not the right place for it. Let's just try being patient next time. We can't be on here all of the time at your beck and call. I'm on the only vacation I'm getting this year, but since you need an answer so badly, here we go.

departedflights wrote:

Presumably because someone makes a thread about Delta, because that's what they want to discuss. We don't have quotas on how many threads of something can be discussed here. They're allowed because they're different subjects. If you can find me a rule that says only a certain number of discussions are allowed, then I'll enforce it. I'll save you the time though, because it isn't in there.

departedflights wrote:

DL adds FAT-LAX
Delta LGA Progress

I'm not really sure what your point is here. Yes, there are too many carrier specific yearly threads, and they'll probably be combined into one for 2021 like the United thread was this year. The only reason there's one United thread instead of three is because it was combined this year to see if it worked. It did, so it will be carried over to the others.

Other than that, you listed about seven topics that are all valid discussions. What is the answer that you want to hear? Do you want me to delete them because you don't like looking at so many Delta threads? Do you want me to merge them all into one thread? I'm not sure what it is that you're aiming to accomplish here — our job is to facilitate discussions, and if 10 different Delta threads are what people want to discuss, then that's how this works.

What a friendly and forthcoming reply from a moderator ;)

I am sure he/she wasn't the only one noticing the heavy Delta-tilt on the forum. Not that this is necessarily a bad thing, but it isn't either to get a question out about it.

Enjoy your holiday!

Boeing757100

Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:50 pm

It is the poster's decision and if they want to upload it, let them upload it. There's nothing you can do here, but if you don't like a thread, just ignore it...

departedflights
Topic Author

Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:59 pm

Boeing757100 wrote:
It is the poster's decision and if they want to upload it, let them upload it. There's nothing you can do here, but if you don't like a thread, just ignore it...

My inquiry was in regards to why so many threads regarding one airline are allowed when the threads regarding other airlines seem to be quickly merged into much larger threads.

It would be my hope that ALL airlines had such a large number of threads and were not merged into all-encompassing threads where things seem to get swallowed up.

My question was addressed/answered by a moderator and I appreciate that. I will not press the issue further.

However, I would like to thank you for the very constructive advice you gave regarding not reading a thread I am not interested in. Until you suggested that, I had not considered that to be an option.

airlineaddict

Thu Dec 31, 2020 8:47 pm

atcsundevil wrote:
The only reason there's one United thread instead of three is because it was combined this year to see if it worked. It did, so it will be carried over to the others.

As it stands there are already two separate 2021 fleet and network threads for American.

Happy New Year!

atcsundevil

Fri Jan 01, 2021 6:02 am

airlineaddict wrote:
atcsundevil wrote:
The only reason there's one United thread instead of three is because it was combined this year to see if it worked. It did, so it will be carried over to the others.

As it stands there are already two separate 2021 fleet and network threads for American.

Happy New Year!

Did you really come to post in a thread dormant for over two months to find an even older post I made just to remind me of this? That's a bit silly, isn't it?

I am one of several moderators. I am not not the end all, be all, nor have I ever claimed to be. I was in favor of consolidating the US airline threads for 2021, but I'm hardly the only one with an opinion here. I really don't think we need to get into petty arguments over how many threads each airline gets when the discussions are working quite well as it is. If you can show me exactly where the United thread went so terribly wrong only having one thread for 2020, then I'm happy to reconsider my position on having it merged. It seemed that most users were glad to have a single regularly active thread rather than multiple rarely active threads. So it worked quite well in my opinion, but I believe it just needs to be restarted every six months rather than annually.

If you have any additional concerns, please let us know. Have a Happy New Year.

✈️ atcsundevil

timf

Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:55 pm

There have been calls by multiple posters to consolidate at least the Narrowbody and Widebody threads into a single Fleet thread, and they've taken it upon themselves to post everything in the Narrowbody thread as it is. I will echo their requests in asking for a single Delta Fleet thread to encompass the previously separate Narrowbody, Widebody and Refurbishment threads.