Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ChrisKen
Topic Author

Annual snow gripe.

Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:37 pm

Still no sign of the "Snow Off" option we used to have. The effect is ruddy annoying and retro in the extreme.

ChrisKen
Topic Author

Re: Annual snow gripe.

Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:39 pm

Hmmm, looks like it's limited to the homepage only. Still annoying but I'll let you off...bah humbug.

777ER
Head Moderator

Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:25 pm

Always liked the snow effect as it means CHRISTMAS. Its always been limited to the main page

Moose135

Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:42 pm

777ER wrote:
Always liked the snow effect as it means CHRISTMAS. Its always been limited to the main page

The first day or two is nice, by the time the holidays get here, it's tiring. And in keeping with your "always" theme - we always used to have an "off" button for it.

DDR

Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:26 pm

777ER wrote:

Yep, I agree with you. I've always liked it. 2020 has sucked so it's nice to have something fun every once in a while. Plus, I never spend more than 30-40 seconds on the main page.

777ER
Head Moderator

Wed Dec 02, 2020 3:41 am

Moose135 wrote:
777ER wrote:

The first day or two is nice, by the time the holidays get here, it's tiring. And in keeping with your "always" theme - we always used to have an "off" button for it.

I don't remember an off switch. Guess I've never noticed it as I've always enjoyed seeing the snow. With New Zealand's Christmas being a summer Christmas I guess that is why I've always liked it

atcsundevil

Wed Dec 02, 2020 5:33 am

777ER wrote:
Moose135 wrote:
777ER wrote:

I don't remember an off switch. Guess I've never noticed it as I've always enjoyed seeing the snow. With New Zealand's Christmas being a summer Christmas I guess that is why I've always liked it

...the cherry on top being that it marks the end of this seemingly endless year.

I can't recall an off switch myself, but I suppose if it really bothers people, they can simply wait 30 more days. I can understand the gripe if it were site wide, but when it's just the homepage, surely it can't be that disruptive.

Happy holidays to everyone...we've almost made it!

spudsmac

Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:16 pm

How come they don't just leave up the off button? Snow is distracting and I have not had luck with removing it via element inspector.

Tue Dec 08, 2020 3:14 am

atcsundevil wrote:
777ER wrote:
Moose135 wrote:

...the cherry on top being that it marks the end of this seemingly endless year.

I can't recall an off switch myself, but I suppose if it really bothers people, they can simply wait 30 more days. I can understand the gripe if it were site wide, but when it's just the homepage, surely it can't be that disruptive.

Happy holidays to everyone...we've almost made it!

I remember one years ago.

In any case, you can use a browser addin to block snow.js. It slows down the browser slightly as well on the homepage.

Flugmeister

Fri Dec 11, 2020 11:05 am

I love it and look forward to it every year. It seems likely in future years this will be the only snow we will see in the Southern UK. Yes, there was once an 'off' button

Tue Dec 15, 2020 8:13 am

Here is a way to disable it:

In Firefox with the uBlock addon you can add this rule:
||www.airliners.net/snow.js$script,domain=www.airliners.net,important

That will stop it.

Those snow effects are also an accessibility problem if you don't provide a method to stop or pause them:
https://www.w3.org/WAI/WCAG21/quickref/ ... mits-pause

That's only Level A, not even AA.

2.2.2 For moving, blinking, scrolling, or auto-updating information, all of the following are true: (Level A)Understanding Success Criterion 2.2.2

Moving, blinking, scrolling: For any moving, blinking or scrolling information that (1) starts automatically, (2) lasts more than five seconds, and (3) is presented in parallel with other content, there is a mechanism for the user to pause, stop, or hide it unless the movement, blinking, or scrolling is part of an activity where it is essential;

Apologies for raining on the proverbial parade.