Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

SAS A340
Topic Author

Thumbs up/down buttons

Wed Jan 20, 2021 3:01 pm

Perhaps this has been cleared out already, but wouldn´t this be a nice thing to add? Today if I reply to a comment with :thumbsup: :thumbsup: it´s get deleated

SQ22

Re: Thumbs up/down buttons

Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:18 pm

In general this is a good idea, but according to forum rules 1.j.:

2. Do not make posts that contain only a smiley face, check mark, etc. Make sure the content of your post is relevant to the topic.

So please do not post any kind of emoji without any own comment, otherwise it will be considered a low quality post and be deleted.

JBo

Sat Jan 23, 2021 4:59 pm

While it would be cool to have Reddit-style thumbs up/down / upvote/downvote icons, I don't think that's something that the current forum software supports. It'd probably require either [A] migrating the forum to a new platform that supports that feature or [B] manually developing that feature, and I don't think either of those options are a very high priority as far as the dev team's time and resources are concerned.

TVNWZ

Sun Jan 24, 2021 2:21 am

SQ22 wrote:

2. Do not make posts that contain only a smiley face, check mark, etc. Make sure the content of your post is relevant to the topic.

So please do not post any kind of emoji without any own comment, otherwise it will be considered a low quality post and be deleted.

In light of the fact that the developers have abandoned the site, maybe that should be reconsidered.

SAS A340
Topic Author

Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:05 pm

SQ22 wrote:

Well, the forum rules is the forum rules and can´t be changed despite a good idea, got it.

atcsundevil

Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:23 pm

SAS A340 wrote:
Well, the forum rules is the forum rules and can´t be changed despite a good idea, got it.

We change the forum rules on a regular basis, but allowing emoji only posts isn't something any of us are likely to support. This forum has been active for more than two decades, and has always had the foundation of requiring a standard of higher quality posting. Emoji posts indicating a like/dislike is fine on other forums, but we don't consider it acceptable here. If you like something enough to post an emoji, then why is it too cumbersome to create a brief post explaining your agreement or disagreement? Yes, we realize it's easier, but we're not trying to make posting easier. Emojis take up space while offering next to nothing. So no, we don't consider that to be a good idea.

We all support the creation of a like/dislike feature. It's been requested for years. It is a good idea. Unfortunately it's never going to happen. It isn't up to us, and the developers simply aren't motivated to add any sort of new features to this site.

Moose135

Tue Jan 26, 2021 7:22 pm

atcsundevil wrote:
If you like something enough to post an emoji, then why is it too cumbersome to create a brief post explaining your agreement or disagreement?

A lot of times I'll see a comment that I like and agree with, but there's no point in a post that simply says "I agree!" so I don't post anything.

atcsundevil wrote:
We all support the creation of a like/dislike feature. It's been requested for years. It is a good idea. Unfortunately it's never going to happen. It isn't up to us, and the developers simply aren't motivated to add any sort of new features to this site.

The Request List - where good ideas go to die...

atcsundevil

Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:28 am

Moose135 wrote:
A lot of times I'll see a comment that I like and agree with, but there's no point in a post that simply says "I agree!" so I don't post anything.

Exactly. If 20 people piled on to say "I agree" or give a thumbs up, it would eat up half a page with useless comments. Most people on this forum are at least reasonably intelligent, so it isn't exactly setting a high bar for people to create posts elaborating on the reasons for their agreement/disagreement.

Moose135 wrote:
The Request List - where good ideas go to die...

:banghead:

SAS A340
Topic Author

Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:47 pm

My point was just thumbs up/down or "like" buttons related directly to a comment, I agree that we don't want 50 :thumbsup: posts in a row. My question has been answered, thank you.