Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

fr8mech
Topic Author

Deleted Topic

Fri Aug 06, 2021 6:42 pm

It appears my Topic titled “I’m still ambivalent on the use of masks” has been deleted.

Can I at least know why?

It seemed to me that we were having a decent discussion that was devoid of the normal descent into political idiocy.

SQ22

Re: Deleted Topic

Sat Aug 07, 2021 6:30 am

I had a look into it, you were swearing and using wildcards didn't change this fact, hence your post had been deleted for using inappropriate language.

fr8mech
Topic Author

Sat Aug 07, 2021 10:22 am

Have we really devolved to the point where we can’t even use wildcards in the place of those nasty words? And, only in one instance.

This site used to be a place where we could have discussions and the occasional use of a swear word, where appropriate was not censored.

I guess the old A-Net is truly gone and this has now become a touchy-feely zone.

I’m glad I’ve curtailed my visits to non-av. It’s not the place it used to be.

qf789

Sat Aug 07, 2021 10:53 am

fr8mech wrote:
Have we really devolved to the point where we can’t even use wildcards in the place of those nasty words? And, only in one instance.

This site used to be a place where we could have discussions and the occasional use of a swear word, where appropriate was not censored.

I guess the old A-Net is truly gone and this has now become a touchy-feely zone.

It has always been the case that inappropriate language that is masked is treated the same as saying the actual word.

As per forum rules

Inappropriate Language
1. Swear words are acceptable ONLY when used in context and when it can be considered "motivated" (e.g. to emphasize a point). It is not acceptable to use them gratuitously. Use of vulgar language may result in a warning or account suspension being issued. All language used on this site
should be considered “safe for work”.
2. Swear words that have been masked with wildcards (e.g. ****, $#&!, etc) are as unacceptable as unmasked words, and will be subject to the same rules.
3. At no time may swear words be used in the title of a thread.

Lets not forgot the word you were referring to was a 4 letter word starting with f. You were also told by a moderator on the 4th of November last year that the use of profanity was not permitted. There are plenty of other words you could have used but no you had to use the one that some who find that word offensive. Additionally we expect all language used on this site to be "safe for work" and since we do have users as young as 13 who are able to join the site that sort of language is not tolerated

atcsundevil

Sat Aug 07, 2021 1:00 pm

fr8mech wrote:

I've been on this forum for nearly as long as you have. Wildcards have never been allowed. The old a.net was also moderated a lot more strictly, but I guess you don't remember that.

extender

Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:36 am

What happened to the "Military Command Structure" thread?

atcsundevil

Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:22 am

extender wrote:

It was removed, as there was an issue with the thread starting post. I cannot go into further detail since it wasn't your thread.

You or anyone else is free to restart the thread. Please just be sure to include sufficient detail in your own words when starting the thread, and be sure to include a source. Those are the basic requirements whenever starting a thread on this forum.

extender

Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:02 am

Thanks.

Boeing757100

Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:28 pm

Don't forget, there are many kids/teenagers and younger users (including me) who use this forum too. Using swear words or very bad insults could possibly have a negative impact on this demographic of us users. We all have a right to use this site.

extender

Tue Sep 28, 2021 12:08 pm

Boeing757100 wrote:
We all have a right to use this site.

No, we don't. We are allowed to use this site, so long as you stay within the lines they provide.

Braybuddy

Fri Oct 01, 2021 8:38 am

fr8mech wrote:

I would have to agree. I have had posts deleted without any explanation. They have not contained unacceptable words, or even words with asterisks. At the same time, I have often noticed posts with words which would be unacceptable -- as per the rules -- remain in place.

TVNWZ

Fri Oct 01, 2021 12:57 pm

I would hope the site changes. 20 year olds then are 40 now. 40s are 60. Everything changes.

tys777

Fri Oct 01, 2021 1:23 pm

Braybuddy wrote:
fr8mech wrote:

I would have to agree. I have had posts deleted without any explanation. They have not contained unacceptable words, or even words with asterisks. At the same time, I have often noticed posts with words which would be unacceptable -- as per the rules -- remain in place.

Have you ever considered reporting a post that contains that language? We don't read every post, we need help having them brought to our attention.

It's been a long long time since there were notifications for deleted posts. We've talked about that ad nauseum along with telling people to email us.

atcsundevil

Fri Oct 01, 2021 1:41 pm

Braybuddy wrote:
fr8mech wrote:

We all have jobs, families, social lives, and other obligations. We volunteer our time here to keep the site going and try to keep things respectful. At best, some of us are able to put in an hour or two per day here. Given that there are only about 10 of us, that means that we're only able to read a small percentage of posts. If users don't report issues to us, we may never see it. It's disheartening for us to see people constantly say we're missing things, yet they're not actively trying to help us. We never claimed we could do this alone.

As for deletions — we don't like the idea of disappearing posts any more than you do. The old site had notifications, which was excellent. When we migrated to this site five years ago, the notifications went away. We begged the developers for years to bring them back, but it hasn't happened, and we've long since given up trying. We don't have enough time in the day to keep up with moderation AND notify every user of a deletion. That's why the onus is on you to contact us and ask why a post was removed. It's lousy. We know it. We don't have a better option though.

Braybuddy

Sat Oct 02, 2021 7:45 am

tys777 wrote:
Have you ever considered reporting a post that contains that language? We don't read every post, we need help having them brought to our attention.

It's been a long long time since there were notifications for deleted posts. We've talked about that ad nauseum along with telling people to email us.

atcsundevil wrote:
We all have jobs, families, social lives, and other obligations. We volunteer our time here to keep the site going and try to keep things respectful. At best, some of us are able to put in an hour or two per day here. Given that there are only about 10 of us, that means that we're only able to read a small percentage of posts. If users don't report issues to us, we may never see it. It's disheartening for us to see people constantly say we're missing things, yet they're not actively trying to help us. We never claimed we could do this alone.

As for deletions — we don't like the idea of disappearing posts any more than you do. The old site had notifications, which was excellent. When we migrated to this site five years ago, the notifications went away. We begged the developers for years to bring them back, but it hasn't happened, and we've long since given up trying. We don't have enough time in the day to keep up with moderation AND notify every user of a deletion. That's why the onus is on you to contact us and ask why a post was removed. It's lousy. We know it. We don't have a better option though.

Thank you both for your considered replies. I wasn't aware there were only 10 moderators putting in a couple of replies each day, so you not-picking up forum-breaking posts is understandable, to say the least. What you say atcsundevil about the notification of deleted posts disappearing explains the absence of explanations, and it's odd that it should have been removed. This was a worthwhile part of the site in that it gave the poster an indication of why their post was deleted. I would also suggest that the develpoers re-instate it. I don't particularly like reporting or e-mailing moderators about posts, simply because I like interesting and (sometimes inflammatory) debate, and in my seventeen years on this site have never, ever, done so. I have noticed (and posted about) the staleness of topics compared to recent years (they mostly seem to be about US politics and inevitably descend into a Republican vs. Democrat slanging match which ends up being locked). This is a shame, but it's not the fault of the moderators, more a symptom of the lack of engagement of the members, and is probably a vicious circle: the lack of interesting and varied topics probably puts people off visiting Non-Av.

As for my own deleted posts, I never post abusive language, even with asterisks, so I have assumed they were deleted because of content which may not have been politically correct (yet within the rules as I understand them). I would like your views here. I haven't really bothered about e-mailing moderators, as I assumed it would be a waste of time, so that may be an idea fpr the future.

Thanks guys!

Boeing757100 wrote:
Don't forget, there are many kids/teenagers and younger users (including me) who use this forum too. Using swear words or very bad insults could possibly have a negative impact on this demographic of us users. We all have a right to use this site.

Come on, are you really telling me your demographic never uses swear words or insults?

atcsundevil

Sat Oct 02, 2021 11:52 am

Braybuddy wrote:
tys777 wrote:

atcsundevil wrote:

Thank you both for your considered replies. I wasn't aware there were only 10 moderators putting in a couple of replies each day, so you not-picking up forum-breaking posts is understandable, to say the least. What you say atcsundevil about the notification of deleted posts disappearing explains the absence of explanations, and it's odd that it should have been removed. This was a worthwhile part of the site in that it gave the poster an indication of why their post was deleted. I would also suggest that the develpoers re-instate it. I don't particularly like reporting or e-mailing moderators about posts, simply because I like interesting and (sometimes inflammatory) debate, and in my seventeen years on this site have never, ever, done so. I have noticed (and posted about) the staleness of topics compared to recent years (they mostly seem to be about US politics and inevitably descend into a Republican vs. Democrat slanging match which ends up being locked). This is a shame, but it's not the fault of the moderators, more a symptom of the lack of engagement of the members, and is probably a vicious circle: the lack of interesting and varied topics probably puts people off visiting Non-Av.

As for my own deleted posts, I never post abusive language, even with asterisks, so I have assumed they were deleted because of content which may not have been politically correct (yet within the rules as I understand them). I would like your views here. I haven't really bothered about e-mailing moderators, as I assumed it would be a waste of time, so that may be an idea fpr the future.

Thanks guys!

Boeing757100 wrote:

Come on, are you really telling me your demographic never uses swear words or insults?

Deletion notifications as a feature was never removed, technically. It was a relic of the old site. This site isn't a facelift of the old a.net, it's an entirely new site platform. The old site was custom built, so it had a lot of features unique to Airliners. The site was long since sold to a company (which changed names and was then resold), and those developers were no longer able to keep up with the bandaids required to keep the old site functional. They moved us to this site almost exactly five years ago, which is a heavily customized off-the-shelf product used by other forums across the internet. Deletion notifications were never included as a feature of that product. Users are only notified when they receive warnings or account bans.

The developers made an attempt at creating notifications for post deletions around May of 2017 (which I believe was shortly after the current site owners bought us), but that's the last we heard back from them on the subject. The developer who had stayed with the site through the purchase and built much of this site platform left about two years after that, and we haven't had a dedicated developer since. Sadly, we gave up asking for new or upgraded features long ago, because there's just no responsiveness. Just to give you an idea, the link at the bottom of every page listing "Forum Rules" — those rules have been out of date for about four years. That's why we post them at the top of the forum, because it's something we can control ourselves. The current developers don't appear to be interested in expanding functionality of the site, and I don't expect that to change.

extender

Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:26 pm

Curious as to why a thread in Non-Av about a school shooter gets deleted. Or should I go to the mods directly?

OA412

Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:19 pm

extender wrote:
Curious as to why a thread in Non-Av about a school shooter gets deleted. Or should I go to the mods directly?

You need to email moderators directly at moderators@airliners.net as per forum rules.

extender

Tue Oct 12, 2021 4:45 pm

atcsundevil wrote:
extender wrote:

It was removed, as there was an issue with the thread starting post. I cannot go into further detail since it wasn't your thread.

You or anyone else is free to restart the thread. Please just be sure to include sufficient detail in your own words when starting the thread, and be sure to include a source. Those are the basic requirements whenever starting a thread on this forum.

I asked, but based on the above, I asked here.

eta unknown

Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:00 am

I was wondering what happened to yesterday's Ryanair credit card charge back thread that's now missing in action...

atcsundevil

Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:14 am

eta unknown wrote:
I was wondering what happened to yesterday's Ryanair credit card charge back thread that's now missing in action...

I'm going to copy and paste the same exact thing I said above...it would seem that there's a recurring theme here...