Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

CaptHadley
Topic Author

Post deletion, reasons why?

Thu Dec 02, 2021 6:51 am

There is a thread about aviation, technical at that, that is in the non-aviation section. It was pointed out to atcsundevil, who actually moved the thread into non-aviation in the first place, that it was in the wrong area and yet it still remains there. I pointed this out in a post however my post was deleted, yet the thread, which is very interesting and could gather many more posts if it was in the right area, is left to languish in non aviation. Why was my posted deleted and more importantly, why did atcsundevil move the post into non aviation when it clearly is not?

atcsundevil

Re: Post deletion, reasons why?

Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:05 am

CaptHadley wrote:
There is a thread about aviation, technical at that, that is in the non-aviation section. It was pointed out to atcsundevil, who actually moved the thread into non-aviation in the first place, that it was in the wrong area and yet it still remains there. I pointed this out in a post however my post was deleted, yet the thread, which is very interesting and could gather many more posts if it was in the right area, is left to languish in non aviation. Why was my posted deleted and more importantly, why did atcsundevil move the post into non aviation when it clearly is not?

First, your posts were removed because they were not related to the discussion. Furthermore, one word posts are always removed for being low quality and of little or no contribution to the discussion.

Second, as I explained in the thread, the subject of the topic was very likely an ADS-B anomaly, as is extremely common with flight tracking websites. Website errors have absolutely nothing to do with aviation. Those threads are frequently created in the aviation forums, and we typically move them to Non Av or delete them because they're not relevant to aviation discussions. I included the caveat that the thread will return to Civ Av should any actual source of information become available. Flight tracking data is not a legitimate source. What's worse is that these threads are typically created in a sensationalized way to draw attention and "break a story" when no story actually exists. We have rules against clickbait and it upsets most users.

The thread isn't languishing anywhere, it was sent to the forum in which it belongs in accordance with forum rules.

PlaneInsomniac

Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:45 am

Sorry, atcsundevil, with all due respect this decision is clearly wrong. Thread is clearly aviation related. You may find an over-excited hobbyist posting about a likely non-event annoying, but moving a thread about a civilian aircraft's flight path to non-av is simply inappropriate. You could at least have moved it to TechOps and let it run its course there in relative obscurity. If amateur enthusiasts posting personal opinions and observations about aviation are not welcome anymore, you might as well shut down the site altogether. That's what 95% of the posts are anyway, no matter how seriously some members take themselves. Personally, I find the increasingly rare one-off posts about aviation events refreshing between the n-th iteration of the ORD AA Baggage Handling Megathread 12/21 - Part 5. People like myself and probably CaptHadley (and I think this applies to many) come here to kill some time by following a hobby interest, rather than to exchange reliable industry information (for which a.net never was - and never will be - a credible source anyway).

CaptHadley
Topic Author

Sat Dec 04, 2021 4:19 am

So it appears that the issue with the plane was not a ADS-B anomaly after all. Will the topic be moved to the appropriate area now?

SQ22

Sat Dec 04, 2021 5:52 pm

CaptHadley wrote:
So it appears that the issue with the plane was not a ADS-B anomaly after all. Will the topic be moved to the appropriate area now?

Done.

afcjets

Thu Dec 30, 2021 11:45 pm

How do you contact moderators to inquire why a post was deleted now?

qf789

Fri Dec 31, 2021 2:40 am

afcjets wrote:

On the same email address that you have contacted us on before regarding similar enquiries

afcjets

Fri Dec 31, 2021 5:51 am

qf789 wrote:
afcjets wrote:

On the same email address that you have contacted us on before regarding similar enquiries

This is what happens:

Your email to group moderators@airliners.net was rejected due to spam classification. The owner of the group can choose to enable message moderation instead of bouncing these emails. More information can be found here: https://support.google.com/a/answer/168383.

tys777

Fri Dec 31, 2021 6:22 pm

afcjets wrote:
qf789 wrote:
afcjets wrote:

This is what happens:

Your email to group moderators@airliners.net was rejected due to spam classification. The owner of the group can choose to enable message moderation instead of bouncing these emails. More information can be found here: https://support.google.com/a/answer/168383.

Try this one, tys777@airliners.net and then I'll forward to the group email box on your behalf.

afcjets

Fri Dec 31, 2021 11:00 pm

tys777 wrote:
afcjets wrote:
qf789 wrote:

This is what happens:

Try this one, tys777@airliners.net and then I'll forward to the group email box on your behalf.

Thank you, I just did.

afcjets

Sat Jan 01, 2022 8:27 pm

If a moderator is going to deiete posts and then flag a user as spam to the moderator account to hide from other moderators, perhaps they shouldn't be a moderator.

afcjets wrote:

atcsundevil

Sun Jan 02, 2022 2:37 am

afcjets wrote:
If a moderator is going to deiete posts and then flag a user as spam to the moderator account to hide from other moderators, perhaps they shouldn't be a moderator.

afcjets wrote:

That's not how that works. It's gmail classifying your email as spam, not us. We get a massive amount of spam from disgruntled former users, so you can thank them for the inconvenience. We flag them as spam, and on rare occasions, gmail filters out legitimate messages sent to us. We don't have an issue with you, and we'd have no reason not to want to read your messages to us. Just email one of us directly if it happens again (username @airliners.net) and we'll make sure the whole group gets the message.

afcjets

Wed Jan 05, 2022 11:57 pm

atcsundevil wrote:
We don't have an issue with you, and we'd have no reason not to want to read your messages to us. Just email one of us directly if it happens again (username @airliners.net) and we'll make sure the whole group gets the message.

So why has no moderator not marked my email address as "not spam" yet almost a week after I posted it happens? I just sent a test email and got the same response.

I believe that you don't have an issue with me but I think other moderator(s) do. After years of emailing moderators@airliners.net from the same email address without one ever bouncing back as spam, now 100 percent of them get flagged as spam. It seems the most likely explanation is a moderator marked my email as spam which they could easily do without anyone knowing.

atcsundevil

Thu Jan 06, 2022 1:24 am

afcjets wrote:
So why has no moderator not marked my email address as "not spam" yet almost a week after I posted it happens? I just sent a test email and got the same response.

I believe that you don't have an issue with me but I think other moderator(s) do. After years of emailing moderators@airliners.net from the same email address without one ever bouncing back as spam, now 100 percent of them get flagged as spam. It seems the most likely explanation is a moderator marked my email as spam which they could easily do without anyone knowing.

We don't have control over our spam settings. Those settings are controlled by the community manager and the developers. We get quite a bit of spam, so whatever controls they've set have clearly affected you for reasons outside of our (moderators) control. You know how to reach me directly, and you can email any individual moderator should you choose. All I can suggest is maybe trying to email us from a different email account and hopefully it'll jump over whatever is flagging the account you've tried contacting us with.

Again, it's nothing we're doing on purpose. We'd fix it if we could, just like everything else that's broken around here.