Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

csturdiv
Topic Author

"Moments ago" time stamp

Thu Jan 06, 2022 10:19 pm

Why do many posts and nearly all replies in them have a time stamp of "Moments ago"?

N965UW

Re: "Moments ago" time stamp

Fri Jan 07, 2022 12:00 am

I see this when browsing the site on my phone. My mobile browser will display "moments ago" for a post made hours ago, and earlier posts are given an incorrect timestamp (for example, 12 AM when the post was actually made at 8 PM). Timestamps are accurate when viewing on a laptop or desktop though.

csturdiv
Topic Author

Fri Jan 07, 2022 5:57 am

N965UW wrote:
I see this when browsing the site on my phone. My mobile browser will display "moments ago" for a post made hours ago, and earlier posts are given an incorrect timestamp (for example, 12 AM when the post was actually made at 8 PM). Timestamps are accurate when viewing on a laptop or desktop though.

Thanks, I have only seen this on my phone (Chrome browser). I'm on holiday and haven't turned on my laptop in weeks now. I'll check it tomorrow when I fire up my Surface Pro to check out the pics I've been taking.

atcsundevil

Fri Jan 07, 2022 6:37 am

csturdiv wrote:
N965UW wrote:

Thanks, I have only seen this on my phone (Chrome browser). I'm on holiday and haven't turned on my laptop in weeks now. I'll check it tomorrow when I fire up my Surface Pro to check out the pics I've been taking.

This usually happens when there's an incorrect timezone setting. The forum doesn't automatically set it based on your device setting, so if you're in a timezone different from where it's set, it'll say "moments ago" for hours.

To change it, click on your profile view on the top right of the page > User Control Panel > Board Preferences tab > scroll down to "My Timezone".

If the timezone is already set correctly for your location, then let me know and I'll try to figure out what the issue is. Usually it's just an incorrect setting and that fixes the issue.

Hope that helps!

Newark727

Fri Jan 07, 2022 4:14 pm

Oh my goodness! This solved a problem that's been bugging me for years!

csturdiv
Topic Author

Fri Jan 07, 2022 5:02 pm

atcsundevil wrote:
This usually happens when there's an incorrect timezone setting. The forum doesn't automatically set it based on your device setting, so if you're in a timezone different from where it's set, it'll say "moments ago" for hours.

To change it, click on your profile view on the top right of the page > User Control Panel > Board Preferences tab > scroll down to "My Timezone".

If the timezone is already set correctly for your location, then let me know and I'll try to figure out what the issue is. Usually it's just an incorrect setting and that fixes the issue.

Hope that helps!

Ok that makes sense. My time zone on the forums are for Sydney and I am in the US Central time zone. I go back to Sydney at the end of the month, I'll keep my settings as they are. Thanks for the info.

N965UW

Fri Jan 07, 2022 6:08 pm

I had a suspicion it would be a time zone issue. Thanks!

nstampede002

Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:15 pm

atcsundevil wrote:
csturdiv wrote:
N965UW wrote:

Hope that helps!

So I tried it - hoping for a fix to a slightly annoying problem I have had for years, and now every post and every member's join year say "last year." My time zone is set correctly, and this is with Chrome and Safari. Logged out, logged back in - no help. :white: