Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

bpatus297
Topic Author

Flamebait

Sun Jan 09, 2022 8:11 pm

I would like some clarification and/or discussion on flamebait. I have had several post deleted as flamebait. My question is what is the line in the sand that makes a post flamebait? I am specifically speaking of posts in the non-av section. I know politics are not allowed in other areas, but I was under the impression thatvit was allowed in the non-av area.

The explanation I got from the the mod was very generic and the rule on the site mentions politics. With that said, isn't that a vast majority of the non-av section? All of the mass shooting threads which immediately start the name calling of 2A supporters, the thread about a new social media site being an echo chamber for Trump supporters, etc. are all falmebait by this very loose definition. Basically any opinion could be considered flamebait. Outside of attacking individual posters, most of the non-av threads aee full of emotion and politics. So they all should be deleted.

I am a mature adult and can take someone's opinion different than mine and be okay with it. I don't feel the need to report every post that fits that definition, but if mine keep getting reported, I will be forced to do the same. How is this beneficial? We are supposed to listen to each other and learn from each other. If we can't freely share our opinions, how is that possible?

atcsundevil

Re: Flamebait

Sun Jan 09, 2022 8:30 pm

There's no singular definition for flamebait. It's generally a post that's intended to start an argument or derail the purpose of the thread. It's left to the moderator's discretion to determine.

The forum rules state the following:
Rule 1q. Flamebait
1. Users should not knowingly create posts or topics with the explicit purpose of angering users, or causing arguments. Clearly provocative threads, posts, or statements may be deleted.
2. Use of pejorative terms or names for political leaders, political parties, or other public figures in an attempt to incite an argument may be considered flamebait and removed at a moderator’s discretion.

bpatus297
Topic Author

Sun Jan 09, 2022 8:40 pm

That's not really answering too many questions. You closed a complaint without deleting a post that called all Republicans racist. How in the world is that not flamebait?

atcsundevil

Sun Jan 09, 2022 9:01 pm

bpatus297 wrote:
That's not really answering too many questions. You closed a complaint without deleting a post that called all Republicans racist. How in the world is that not flamebait?

No, the post did not say that. It did not attack other users, and it was expressing an opinion and an anecdote. Furthermore, the thread was already locked when you'd reported it, so the discussion has effectively ended. I'm not going to remove a post from a locked thread unless it's blatantly offensive.

I'm not going to play whataboutism games where we go back and forth dissecting posts. We're happy to discuss deletions of your posts, but I'm not going to discuss other users or justifications for removing or not removing the posts of other users. The report was reviewed and dismissed based on the discretion offered to me by forum rules.

I didn't answer your question specifically because I had nothing to do with removing your post, and it's an extremely broad subject. I can't provide a specific answer to a non-specific question. The answer I provided is as adequate of a response as I'm able to offer given the circumstances.

bpatus297
Topic Author

Sun Jan 09, 2022 9:15 pm

I would love to discuss the deletion of my posts and the reasoning behind it. I tried emailing and the deleting mod just gave a generic anwser. My email is blocked by the general moderator email.

bpatus297
Topic Author

Sun Jan 09, 2022 9:21 pm

I didn't say the other post attacked posters, but it said this:

"there is an underlying element of flat out racism, nationalism, and religion that masquerades in undercurrents in that grouping"

That is referencing Republicans. The rules says that flamebait is using pejorative (having a negative connotation) terms about a political party. How is that not flamebait then?

atcsundevil

Sun Jan 09, 2022 9:21 pm

We're having issues with the general moderator account, as reported by other users. If you don't like the answer you've received, then you're free to email a head moderator. You can try headmoderators@airliners.net or emailing them directly. However, you'll likely receive the same response, because again, it's a broad subject and we're left with significant discretion. If you're still seeking a definition of flamebait, then I'm confident that you've likely received as specific of an answer as you can expect from any of us.