Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

russyyz
Topic Author

Airliners or military

Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:34 am

Just curious but I thought this was an airliners forum. Seen a ton of military photos on this site lately....

ACDC8

Re: Airliners or military

Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:30 pm

Pretty sure that this is an aviation enthusiasts forum/website.

The site always had a military/space sub-forum and always had commercial and private civilian/military/space photos in the database.

Moose135

Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:31 pm

russyyz wrote:
Seen a ton of military photos on this site lately....

It's what has been uploaded lately. You should upload some airliner photos if you prefer them. This site has always had a wide range of aviation-related photos, not just airliners.

Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:02 pm

russyyz wrote:
Just curious but I thought this was an airliners forum. Seen a ton of military photos on this site lately....

People have been thinking this for years and years. Even back more than ten years ago when I used to upload photos.

And the answer is always the same, it’s an aviation enthusiast site.

I remember when there were a heap of space flight photos being added, launch vehicles and even the space shuttle.

Boeing757100

Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:26 am

Exactly what do you have against military pics? Not everything has to follow the "site name." Airliners.net probably sounds catchier than Aviation.net or Aerospace.net but that aside, its an enthusiast site. People should be free to post anything Aerospace related.

radioguy

What has happened to AIRLINERS.net? (Question related to military topics)

Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:23 am

I've been noticing a plethora of military subjects being posted in the past few months. All beautiful phots, to be sure. But I thought this site is/was dedicated to AIRLINERS. I'm pretty certain the in-flight service on an F-16 or a Mig wouldn't be too pretty, in more ways than one. What happened?!?

Canuck600

Re: What has happened to AIRLINERS.net?

Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:35 am

The Military forum has been here for at least 10 years

stl07

Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:03 am

I mean at footlocker you can buy athletic clothing as well but their main market will always be athletic shoes. That’s because people interested in athletic shoes may also want athlete apparel, even though the name is foot locker. Same thing here

gunsontheroof

Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:15 am

[*]
Canuck600 wrote:
The Military forum has been here for at least 10 years

It's been here as long as I've been a member+lurking time, so it's probably over twenty at this point. I don't really get the "what's happened?" question here...

I don't mind the military stuff even if it's not my main interest. It's not detracting from the civil aviation side of the site at all.

TheZ

Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:19 am

I suppose by that definition, private aircraft should be banned too.

Francoflier

Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:26 am

I did notice the proliferation of military aircraft pictures on the front page's 'Top 5', which is what I presume the OP is referring to. There has always been a few military aircraft popping up on there but never as much as lately. Today for instance is showing 4 fighters out of the 5 pictures.

I'm not sure what exactly happened. During the height of the pandemic when airliners weren't really flying and spotters were locked up at home, we did get quite a few oldies up there as uploaders would look through their archives and scan old films/photographs (which was great).
Now the focus is more on military stuff. Go figure.

crownvic

Re: What has happened to AIRLINERS.net? (Question related to military topics)

Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:26 am

Part of the problem is because civilian aviation has gotten boring, especially during COVID. A substantial amount of civilian aircraft are just not operating, livery changes have slowed to a crawl and general aircraft deliveries are down. This all adds up to less civilian subjects being posted. A lot of 757s and 767s have left front line airline operations and have gone directly to the desert where in the past, they have gone to another airline which may have been featured as an image. To prove my point, look at how historical images get posted of civilian aircraft vs something currently operating.

ACDC8

Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:02 am

Military forum and photos have been on this site literally since the beginning. Don't recall this site every being exclusive to airliners - its an aviation enthusiasts website, and aviation encompasses a spectrum broader than just the B777 and B737.

sprxUSA

Wed Jan 19, 2022 6:48 am

ACDC8 wrote:
Military forum and photos have been on this site literally since the beginning. Don't recall this site every being exclusive to airliners - its an aviation enthusiasts website, and aviation encompasses a spectrum broader than just the B777 and B737.

LOL, then they picked a crap name from the inception.
Guess they really didn't want or expect military av enthusiasts with the chosen name.
How many would search for an F-111A pic on something named Airliners.net?

flipdewaf

What has happened to AIRLINERS.net? (Question related to military topics)

Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:26 am

sprxUSA wrote:

LOL, then they picked a crap name from the inception.
Guess they really didn't want or expect military av enthusiasts with the chosen name.
How many would search for an F-111A pic on something named Airliners.net?

Seeing as military is becoming more and more prolific is often in the top 5 it would seem many people understand the true nature of the site beyond its name.

Personally I think that airlinersbutincaseyoulikeotheraviationrelatedmaterialwealsohaveotherplanestoo.net would have not been so successful.

Fred

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

National757

Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:04 am

I’ve enjoyed both civilian and military aircraft photos/discussions in the twenty years I have been visiting this website. Johan Lundgren built a beautiful website with a simple design and concept. I hope that never changes.

balair863

AIRLINERS.net Military Aircraft?

Sat Jul 09, 2022 11:13 am

I can’t imagine I’m the first to ask this but I don’t have time to scroll through all the pages…
Today I opened airliners.net and every thumbnail on the main page is of military aircraft. I come to this site for airliners. There are plenty of sites for military fans, so why such an emphasis on military on this “airliners” site?
Thanks.

JBo

Re: AIRLINERS.net Military Aircraft?

Sun Jul 10, 2022 2:45 pm

balair863 wrote:
I can’t imagine I’m the first to ask this but I don’t have time to scroll through all the pages…
Today I opened airliners.net and every thumbnail on the main page is of military aircraft. I come to this site for airliners. There are plenty of sites for military fans, so why such an emphasis on military on this “airliners” site?
Thanks.

I'm just going to go ahead and repeat what everyone else has already said on this thread:

I've been a regular visitor/member of this community for over 20 years. When the website first started, yes, the focus was mainly/primarily on commercial airliners. But as it grew in popularity, they expanded the scope to allow both private GA aircraft and military aircraft, which helped A.net become one of the largest aviation communities on the Internet.

So, yes, while the website is still named "Airliners.net," and while the photo community still focuses primarily on commercial airliners, photos of military and private civil aircraft are just as equally welcome here.

If you don't like that, you're more than welcome to join a different community.