Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

flyjay123
Topic Author

I've had two post's deleted recently.

Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:53 pm

Although I've been following this site for many many years, I don't post much at all. I've recently posted twice. The first had a spelling mistake in the title, however despite trying to navigate this site, O could not find any way at all to amend the mistake. The post was deleted. I posted again about something different (no spelling mistake) - post deleted. Again I've searched looking for a way to make direct contact with a moderator or admin. No joy. Can a moderator directly message me please.

ua900

Re: I've had two post's deleted recently.

Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:00 pm

flyjay123 wrote:
Although I've been following this site for many many years, I don't post much at all. I've recently posted twice. The first had a spelling mistake in the title, however despite trying to navigate this site, O could not find any way at all to amend the mistake. The post was deleted. I posted again about something different (no spelling mistake) - post deleted. Again I've searched looking for a way to make direct contact with a moderator or admin. No joy. Can a moderator directly message me please.

Done. You can always reach out to us via moderators@airliners.net with any questions you might have about moderation and/or through by hitting report post, for example when you make a spelling mistake in a title that you can't correct. Posts are subject to forum rules, which can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1446319

DualQual

Sat Jan 22, 2022 2:11 am

Given the number of posts I see that can’t use “lose/loose” “they’re/their/there” “affect/effect” correctly I’d be pretty miffed if a simple mis-spelling was the problem.

N14AZ

Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:15 am

I used to be a regular poster, produced spreadsheets and posted them etc… nowadays I am happy if 50% of my posts survive although I really try to stick to the rules. It’s getting frustrating and I am even no longer interested to start an investigation why my post has been deleted…

I even changed my writing style and apologize for possibly going off-topic in advance…

atcsundevil

Sat Jan 22, 2022 12:48 pm

N14AZ wrote:
I used to be a regular poster, produced spreadsheets and posted them etc… nowadays I am happy if 50% of my posts survive although I really try to stick to the rules. It’s getting frustrating and I am even no longer interested to start an investigation why my post has been deleted…

I even changed my writing style and apologize for possibly going off-topic in advance…

50% seems like a rather large number, so I hope that's an overestimation on your part. We don't actually make that many deletions on any given day — I recently did an informal audit and found that we typically delete about 40 posts per day. That said, between 50-75% of our deletions are for referenced post deletions. That means that there's probably nothing wrong with your post, but your post quotes one which has been removed. We don't like deleting posts because they reference deleted ones, but we don't really have a choice.

SQ22

Sat Jan 22, 2022 3:34 pm

N14AZ wrote:

And in case you were writing this because you were wondering why a certain post was deleted today, It was exactly as stated above, you were referencing to a post which had to be deleted for violating forum rules.

flyjay123
Topic Author

Sat Jan 22, 2022 3:59 pm

SQ22 wrote:
N14AZ wrote:

And in case you were writing this because you were wondering why a certain post was deleted today, It was exactly as stated above, you were referencing to a post which had to be deleted for violating forum rules.

The post 'today' simply asked: ''what year did VS add a 3rd LON - NYC route?'

The previous days post - I was on a roll two in two days lol.... I can't remember the exact title but in relation to Sabena operating to Atlanta on behalf of BCal.

I did mis - spell Sebena in the heading but it was clear I'm meant SN. Both posts deleted. I'm not sure what you mean about referencing - surely those two simple questions don't require a reference ?
Also, I could not find a way to amend the heading.

flyjay123
Topic Author

Sat Jan 22, 2022 4:12 pm

DualQual wrote:
Given the number of posts I see that can’t use “lose/loose” “they’re/their/there” “affect/effect” correctly I’d be pretty miffed if a simple mis-spelling was the problem.

Actually, the reason I've been following this site for many many years but rarely posting, is because I'm very dyslexic. And I've seen over, probably more recent years I would say, on this site, people being humiliated for making spelling and grammar.... or other mistakes. It's critiques that should deleted not those making an effort - to the best of their ability, to contribute.

SQ22

Sat Jan 22, 2022 4:37 pm

Both threads are still active, so maybe they have been moved into another forum, please see:

Bcal & Sabena codeshare Atlanta

and

VS LON - NYC

I cannot see that any post made by you on one of those threads had been deleted.

atcsundevil

Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:27 pm

flyjay123 wrote:
DualQual wrote:

Actually, the reason I've been following this site for many many years but rarely posting, is because I'm very dyslexic. And I've seen over, probably more recent years I would say, on this site, people being humiliated for making spelling and grammar.... or other mistakes. It's critiques that should deleted not those making an effort - to the best of their ability, to contribute.

We very much agree — please report posts like that if you see them. We don't usually delete posts or threads for spelling/grammar unless it's absolutely unintelligible, but I will delete every "Grammar Nazi" post every time...we just need people to tell us about it when it happens.

DualQual

Sun Jan 23, 2022 4:36 am

atcsundevil wrote:
flyjay123 wrote:
DualQual wrote:

We very much agree — please report posts like that if you see them. We don't usually delete posts or threads for spelling/grammar unless it's absolutely unintelligible, but I will delete every "Grammar Nazi" post every time...we just need people to tell us about it when it happens.

To be fair with that there are certain chronic offenders. As mods it might be nice if you’d maybe tell them in a private message. After the 100th time of reading a poster misuse lose/loose they should be corrected. I won’t call anyone specific out but there certainly was a prolific poster that always did this.

flyjay123
Topic Author

Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:20 am

SQ22 wrote:
Both threads are still active, so maybe they have been moved into another forum, please see:

Bcal & Sabena codeshare Atlanta

and

VS LON - NYC

I cannot see that any post made by you on one of those threads had been deleted.

Thanks.... I couldn't see either of them when I searched but can now.

qf789

Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:43 am

DualQual wrote:
atcsundevil wrote:
flyjay123 wrote:

To be fair with that there are certain chronic offenders. As mods it might be nice if you’d maybe tell them in a private message. After the 100th time of reading a poster misuse lose/loose they should be corrected. I won’t call anyone specific out but there certainly was a prolific poster that always did this.

We are aware that some users behave like they are spelling/grammar police and we have in the past handed warnings to serial offenders. The easiest way to bring this to our attention is the report the post, any deletion is logged so we can so a search on particular user and take further action if required such as issuing a warning or some cases a ban if they are a repeat offender

N14AZ

Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:49 am

SQ22 wrote:
N14AZ wrote:

Hi SQ22 (still remember how we once met in the Senator lounge at ZRH ). Thank you for your reply. Seems you can even read my mind… ;-)

N14AZ

Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:50 am

atcsundevil wrote:
50% seems like a rather large number, so I hope that's an overestimation on your part.

Well, exaggerations are very hipp nowadays, aren’t they? 50% might be an exaggeration, maybe not. I usually post a reply if I can’t resist to react to someone‘s post in a hot discussion. And, as SQ22 mentioned, in such a hot discussion there’s always the risk that you quote a „poisoned“ post and that your reply will be dumped altogether with the original post that triggered the deletion.

Have a great day!

atcsundevil

Sun Jan 23, 2022 1:39 pm

N14AZ wrote:
atcsundevil wrote:
50% seems like a rather large number, so I hope that's an overestimation on your part.

Well, exaggerations are very hipp nowadays, aren’t they? 50% might be an exaggeration, maybe not. I usually post a reply if I can’t resist to react to someone‘s post in a hot discussion. And, as SQ22 mentioned, in such a hot discussion there’s always the risk that you quote a „poisoned“ post and that your reply will be dumped altogether with the original post that triggered the deletion.

Have a great day!

Exactly. As with most things, it only takes one person to screw it up for everyone. I wish there were a way that we could remove offensive posts without demolishing all of the otherwise on topic replies, but unfortunately we can't. Having been on the receiving end of that plenty of times before becoming a moderator, I can absolutely understand the frustration.

Tugger

Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:56 pm

atcsundevil wrote:
N14AZ wrote:
atcsundevil wrote:

Have a great day!

Exactly. As with most things, it only takes one person to screw it up for everyone. I wish there were a way that we could remove offensive posts without demolishing all of the otherwise on topic replies, but unfortunately we can't. Having been on the receiving end of that plenty of times before becoming a moderator, I can absolutely understand the frustration.

My biggest issue with a post being deleted are the times I put a lot of thought and care and information etc. into what I wrote, and if it is deleted that is all lost. Gone. In the past an email was automatically sent to advise of a post deletion and it contained the post itself which made this a non-issue. I could correct whatever and re-enter my post. But not anymore. I have been told "the new system can't do it" but that doesn't make it any better.

Please figure out a way to send the deleted post to the poster again.

Tugg

atcsundevil

Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:52 am

Tugger wrote:
atcsundevil wrote:
N14AZ wrote:

Have a great day!

My biggest issue with a post being deleted are the times I put a lot of thought and care and information etc. into what I wrote, and if it is deleted that is all lost. Gone. In the past an email was automatically sent to advise of a post deletion and it contained the post itself which made this a non-issue. I could correct whatever and re-enter my post. But not anymore. I have been told "the new system can't do it" but that doesn't make it any better.

Tugg

We wish there was an easy way to fix that. We've begged for it for years, to no avail. You can always message me or another mod to send you the text from a deleted post...I know it puts the onus on you, but I'd be happy to send you the text, particularly if it's something you put a lot of effort into.

zeke

Fri Mar 25, 2022 2:04 am

Tugger wrote:

ThT used to be a feature of Johan’s original sire, it was however at the time according to the mods very difficult to maintain.

DDR

Fri Mar 25, 2022 3:12 am

flyjay123 wrote:
DualQual wrote:

I would be very sad if posts are deleted because someone has things like near blindness. Dyslexia, or even doesn’t speak English as their first language. Most of these “differences” are generally protected under US Law in some way or another. But I agree 100% that grammer Nazis or people making fun of others should have their offensive post deleted and get a final warning. If they continue then ban them from the site. They create an atmosphere where people aren’t comfortable posting and end up staying in the background, this place should be a safe place for people to exchange stories, ideas, and theories all while feeling comfortable and safe. I’ve even seen young posters driven away because of horribly rude comments that were directed at them because they post what they felt was correct. No one wants more moderation than is necessary. Todays youth will be tomorrow’s adults. They are here because aviation is in their blood, just like us.

Everyone here should feel safe and secure on this site, hell I even consider some of you friends now because you add to the discussions without feeling the need to put others down. There are even a few, unfortunately, who respond with just flat out rude responses. Those people would not be missed. I think everyone knows who a few of these posters are. I try to just skip their posts but oftentimes they get quoted so I end up seeing their hate anyway.