Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Tugger
Topic Author

Can someone unlock the locked Ukraine thread?

Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:00 am

I know it drifted off topic but it should have just been cleaned up like other threads are and allowed to continue. It is a very relevant topic and starting a new thread just loses all the existing posts and information.

Thanks
Tugg

SQ22

Re: Can someone unlock the locked Ukraine thread?

Wed Jan 26, 2022 5:43 pm

You can still start a new thread and reply to relevant posts from the locked one. As long as you are staying on topic its not an issue and if you start the thread you are the one who is determining the subject of discussion.

johns624

Wed Jan 26, 2022 5:46 pm

Tugger wrote:
I know it drifted off topic but it should have just been cleaned up like other threads are and allowed to continue. It is a very relevant topic and starting a new thread just loses all the existing posts and information.

Thanks
Tugg
I agree. I could see if it was turning acrimonious, but it wasn't. I thought that Non-Av was supposed to have more lenient rules.

alberchico

Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:29 pm

So now the newer thread is locked too ? This is a very complex topic that sometimes requires posts to veer off topic in under to give someone a wider understanding of what's at stake.

LabQuest

Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:40 pm

I will second leaving threads like that open and let them take the course they take.

johns624

Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:48 pm

I find it unusual that another mod was actively participating in the thread and seemed okay with it but a different mod locked it.

Tugger
Topic Author

Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:57 pm

Just wow...

Come on guys. Johns624 has the crux of it. If it is not acrimonious then why lock it? Honestly I get the "stay on topic" ideal but the rule should also be "Perfect is the enemy of good". A thread doesn't need to be perfectly on topic (I think) to be staying true to itself.

In fact I will go so far as to say that off topic portions in threads are part of the camaraderie of this site and what make it work.

Anyway, I will try to start a thread again on the Europe/Russian fiasco but... damn that is a LOT of lost crap that you are just not doing right by with just locking a thread.

I realize this thread likely will be locked as we are obviously now off topic and just berating the hard working mods. However I will point that that still, no one has actually answered the thread question.

Tugg

SQ22

Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:10 am

Tugger wrote:
Just wow...

Come on guys. Johns624 has the crux of it. If it is not acrimonious then why lock it? Honestly I get the "stay on topic" ideal but the rule should also be "Perfect is the enemy of good". A thread doesn't need to be perfectly on topic (I think) to be staying true to itself.

In fact I will go so far as to say that off topic portions in threads are part of the camaraderie of this site and what make it work.

Anyway, I will try to start a thread again on the Europe/Russian fiasco but... damn that is a LOT of lost crap that you are just not doing right by with just locking a thread.

I realize this thread likely will be locked as we are obviously now off topic and just berating the hard working mods. However I will point that that still, no one has actually answered the thread question.

Tugg

Discussing NATO members defence budgets in detail in a thread about Russia wanting NATO out of Romania is more than not perfectly on topic, hence it has been locked.

Tugger
Topic Author

Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:38 pm

SQ22 wrote:
Discussing NATO members defence budgets in detail in a thread about Russia wanting NATO out of Romania is more than not perfectly on topic, hence it has been locked.

Honestly SQ22, I beg to differ. Discussing NATO overall and it's member nations budgets and military's is all related to the topic. How will members support one another, what forces do they each have, why does Russia want NATO out, can members support one another if assistance is needed?

NATO itself is an interrelated organization.

However I get that it can be drifting further off topic but then a simple "please address the topic in your posts" would solve the issue.

And I will note that you just posted about a Romania thread in a thread on a locked Ukraine thread. I know why, the topic of the Romania thread came up, but it is "off topic". However it was not off topic as to the discussion within the thread.

Anyway, I truly respect the hard job of moderating and get that it is a "thankless job". So thanks.

Tugg

SQ22

Thu Jan 27, 2022 5:07 pm

Tugger wrote:
Honestly SQ22, I beg to differ. Discussing NATO overall and it's member nations budgets and military's is all related to the topic. How will members support one another, what forces do they each have, why does Russia want NATO out, can members support one another if assistance is needed?

NATO itself is an interrelated organization.

However I get that it can be drifting further off topic but then a simple "please address the topic in your posts" would solve the issue.

And I will note that you just posted about a Romania thread in a thread on a locked Ukraine thread. I know why, the topic of the Romania thread came up, but it is "off topic". However it was not off topic as to the discussion within the thread.

Anyway, I truly respect the hard job of moderating and get that it is a "thankless job". So thanks.

Tugg

If you think locking the threads was not justified, please write to Head Moderators (headmoderators@airliners.net) and ask for an appeal.

Tugger
Topic Author

Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:53 pm

SQ22 wrote:
If you think locking the threads was not justified, please write to Head Moderators (headmoderators@airliners.net) and ask for an appeal.

Thanks for that SQ22. I will note it for future use. At this point the new thread seems to be working adequately.

Appreciate the help.

Tugg